is an American avant-garde band created by John S. Hall in 1986.
John Hall used to be a street performer / poet, but he eventually decided, to quote, "20 minutes of me reading poetry are boring", thus King Missile was born.
Their style can be described as several minutes of Hall reading his free verse poetry, accompanied by various music.
Notable for being extremely quotable.
Their songs provide examples of following tropes:
- Barbie Doll Anatomy: "Detachable Penis"
- Cluster F-Bomb: The Psychopathology Of Everyday Life mainly earns its parental advisory sticker due to one song and a recurring series of poems: "The President" is a 3 minute rant against George W. Bush that borders on angrish and contains 61 uses of the word "fuck", while "The Pain Series" is a set of equally profanity-filled reactions to physical pain, the causes ranging from hitting one's thumb with a hammer to getting a paper cut. "Martin Scorsese" definitely qualifies as well.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: Many, many songs.
- Jesus Was Way Cool: Trope Namer, page quote.
- List Song: "Up My Ass" is a list of things that go you would never ever guess where.
- "Equivalencies" counts as well, drawing comparisons between such as Shovels and Jesus, and Yellow meaning War
- Loony Fan: "Martin Scorsese"
- Obligatory Bondage Song
- Margaret's Eyes, in which the singer tries to describe the color of Margaret's eyes while she keeps him on a leash and puts out cigarettes on him.
- Leather Clown, in which a fictional relationship with a non-existing leather-clad, female clown is described.
- Refuge in Audacity: A number of their songs, the least of which being 'Miracle of Childbirth' which goes over in detail about the night your parents had sex to conceive you
- Stealing From The Till: "Take Stuff From Work", page quote.
- Transparent Closet: "Gay/Not Gay", see Quotes.
- Word Salad Title: King Missile (Dog Fly Religion) does not have anything in common with missiles, kings, crowned missiles, dogs, dog flies, religion practiced by, or involving dogs or dog flies.