Advertising / Never Say No to Panda
"Just you know why..."
"Troper, would you like to eat some Panda Cheese?"
Nah, I've got to describe it first.Panda Cheese
is an obscure cheese brand from Egypt. However, they were known for their 2010 series of advertisements which went viral on the internet
and even managed to win two grands prix at the 2010 Dubai Lynx. It became a minor Memetic Mutation
in the internet with some people doing a parodies of it.
The ads start out with someone offering someone else a Panda Cheese product to eat and the person refusing it for whatever reasons. A Panda appears out of nowhere on-screen, stares at the person for a while and then starts violently destroying their things. The implicit message being that you shouldn't refuse anything Panda Cheese makes in the first place.
The ads were also the subject of one of the Fine Bros' 'Kids React'
All the ads can be seen at this link
- Abusive Advertising: If you don't buy its cheese, there will be consequences...
- Bears Are Bad News: This panda bear is really bad news for anyone who doesn't want to buy Panda Cheese.
- Berserk Button: If someone offers you Panda Cheese, you'd better accept.
- Disproportionate Retribution: A Panda will come and ruin your day, all because you refuse to try his cheese.
- In one of the ads, the Panda disconnects the feeding tube from a hospital patient's IV because he wasn't hungry. We can presume that he needed those fluids to live, judging by the look on the nurse's face.
- Genre Savvy: In one commercial, the Panda destroys a father and son's groceries for refusing his product. In a second commercial, the same father and son decide to get two Panda Cheese products upon seeing the Panda before it could destroy his groceries again.
- Jerkass: The Panda. Seriously, why did it have to destroy everything just because someone didn't want to eat the product?
- Later Installment Weirdness: In 2014, Panda Cheese released a new ad describing the benefits of Panda Chesse. The panda is shown doing a variety of things. However, he doesn't destroy anything. "True Love Ways" isn't heard either.
- Leitmotif: When the Panda appears, Buddy Holly's "True Love Ways" plays.
- Mascot: The Panda, for Panda Cheese of course.
- Not Good with Rejection: The Panda, obviously.
- Oh Crap!: The reaction of the people when they see the Panda.
- Panda-ing to the Audience: Subverted. The panda looks cute, but is actually a complete Jerkass.
- Slasher Smile: The Panda only has a smile on its face, even when it's simmering with rage and about to ruin your day.
- Space Whale Aesop: You better get this product, or a panda will come and destroy your things.
- The Spook: The Panda itself. It instantaneously appears out of the blue. We know nothing of its origins or if it's supernatural or anything else.
- Strictly Formula: As described above.
Panda. You just don't say "no" to it.