is a Love Hina Fan Fic
written by Greydon Creed
. The fic can be read here
Unlike canon, Keitaro is far from an Extreme Doormat
and comes to manage the Hinata House with quite a bit more assertiveness. The story is ongoing, with
somewhat frequent updates.
This fic contains examples of the following tropes (Beware of spoilers):
- Accidental Pervert: Contrary to expectations, Keitaro has had only two major incidents so far: once when he first arrives at the Hinata, and once when he investigates the hole in Naru's bedroom floor only to accidentally see her in her underwear.
- Adaptational Badass: As we all know, in canon, Keitaro was little more than a spineless Extreme Doormat who essentially let the Hinata's tenants step all over him. Here, he's far more assertive and actually has a backbone, being far more willing to stand up to the tenants.
- Affectionate Nickname: Sarah refers to Keitaro as "the dork."
- Aggressive Categorism: To the very end, Motoko refuses to see Keitaro as anything but a dishonorable future pervert, despite all evidence to the contrary, simply because he's a man.
- Badass Family: The Urashimas. The family martial art style is based around jujitsu, tai chi and kenjutsu before branching out into incorporated styles. They only have 3 kinds of belts for their training: white, black and red. All beginners wear white, black is for those who have used their training to protect themselves or others and those who have killed while protecting from harm receive the red belt. Haruka is a black belt, late Great-Uncle Hiro was a red belt, and Granny Hina and Keitaro are red belts with the Urashima crest, which means they have killed protecting a family member. Keitaro earned his red belt with family crest in-story at age 18/19; Hina and Hiro got their red belts in 1947 at age 12 and 10, respectively.
- BadassGranny: In the canon series Hina is known as the Demon of Hinata. In this story Hina has Took a Level in Badass or two. Not only has she sparred with a full group of Aoyama students (both armed with bokken and unarmed) using only tai chi and winning, Tsuruko, a Lady of War and Master Swordswoman, has told her sister Motoko that it would give her very serious pause to fight Hina. The police officer that was beating on Keitaro in Chapter 23 found this out the hard way when Hina stormed the interrogation room and threw him into the far wall, knocking him out.
- Badass in a Nice Suit: Keitaro usually wears a t-shirt and jeans/shorts at the Hinata-sou, or at most slacks and a dress shirt. But in order to maintain his cover in Roanapur he wore one of several very nice suits along with red tinted prescription lens Ray-Ban Wayfarers. Keitaro also wears a suit when he reunites with Natsumi and Miyuki at Todai, and he does not understand the reaction he gets from the girls or from other females on the campus. Averted at the end of the Roanapur arc when Keitaro wears a very different kind of suit.
- Been There, Shaped History: Gidget the turtle has survived the eruption of Krakatoa (and in fact was saved by the eruption: she had been captured by whalers and was about to be eaten when the eruption sank their ship and freed her), and during World War II saved the life of a sailor implied to be John F. Kennedy.
- The Berserker: Naru is recognized as one and is forced to take tai chi as anger management if she wants to stay at the dorm.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Tsuruko warns Motoko of this about the Urashima clan. Motoko doesn't listen. Tsuruko does not know how right she is until just before the start of Keitaro's and Motoko's duel when she sees that Keitaro is wearing a red belt.
- Bi the Way: Natsumi and Miyuki are involved with Keitaro and each other. Motoko has some attraction to Keitaro but most of her Character Development begins showing after she starts a relationship with a woman.
- Big Brother Instinct: You harm Kanako and Sarah when Keitaro's around, you die. Not Hyperbole. While he had very good reasons for it, Keitaro now has a rather long list of people he's harmed/killed in their defense.
- Big Brother Worship: Kanako naturally. This grew when Keitaro rescued her from a gang when she was drugged and kidnapped into to be sold into sex slavery. Unfortunately for Keitaro, this is also the source of her Big Brother Attraction
- Sarah as well, though not nearly as much. Keitaro also rescued her from human traffickers in Thailand.
- Combat Pragmatist: Keitaro manages to get the better of Motoko during their duel in chapter 21 by mixing up swordplay with hand-to-hand combat, exploiting the fact that Motoko has only been seriously trained in swordsmanship.
- Crouching Scholar Hidden Badass: Keitaro humbly self-identifies as a Todai aspirant, or if he is really down on himself as a Ronin (someone who did not gain admittance to the college/university of their choice, but originally a masterless samurai). But if someone is in serious danger (not himself, mind you), the gloves come off. Just ask the biker gang members who kidnapped Kanako. Or the pirates and human traffickers that had taken Sarah. Or various people in Roanapur. Or to a lesser extent when Naru was kidnapped at knife point by two gang members. Lesser only because no one died in that incident.
- Conservation of Ninjutsu: Averted. When Keitaro asks why he's being trained to shoot up to three targets, Natsumi and Miyuki explain that if he's faced with four or more gunmen, they'll most likely kill him before he can shoot all of them.
- Crippling Overspecialization: Motoko's skill on swordsmanship and only swordsmanship comes back to bite her when she duels Keitaro.
- Crossover: A minor one with Youre Under Arrest, with Keitaro having both trained and been romantically involved with Natsumi and Miyuki. An even more minor one with Street Fighter is mentioned in chapter 22.
- Dirty Mind-Reading: Motoko has the power to read people's emotional auras. Lustful desire is what she finds the most in men's thoughts.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Motoko is called out on this several times, and the new rules of the inn ban it entirely. Sadly, it doesn't help and she is kicked out.
- Keitaro then calls out her family for their retribution of kicking her out of the family instead of trying to help her work through her issues.
- Evil Weapon: The Juuchi Yasamu (Ten Thousand Cold Nights Sword) aka Hina Demon Blade requires blood every time it's drawn before it can be sheathed. Keitaro also warns Kanako to never cut herself on the blade or she'll risk Demonic Possession.
- Expecting Someone Taller: When he meets Natsumi and Miyuki in chapter 24, Keitaro, having been told to look out for them because they would be training him for Seta's expedition, briefly does not believe that they are who he was looking for. This is mostly because when Seta told Keitaro where to meet his new trainers, as a joke he only referred to them by their last names, and Keitaro did not realize they were youngish females.
- Fallen Princess: Motoko is banished from her family and stripped of her status. She is forbidden from practicing her family art, lives in a shoddy apartment, and is forced to work as a waitress in a cosplay-cafe to gain extra income. She slowly grows out of her misandry with the support of her co-workers and the desire not to lose her job.
- Fatal Flaw: Motoko's self-righteousness, refusal to admit she's wrong and the fact that she's capable of almost anything when upset cause more than one tragedy of impulsiveness.
- Hidden Depths: In chapter 34, Su surprises everyone when she reveals full knowledge of sex, her mother and older sister having told her about the birds and the bees when she hit puberty at ten. Not only that, but she apparently reads hentai manga (though she doesn't read anything involving tentacles because they're "too icky"). She also helps produce hentai doujinshi manga and finances a vanilla (romantic non-violent) hentai translation group to post said doujinshi online.. with her lunch money.
- Keitaro, as admitted by the synopsis, is FULL of surprises.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Motoko's All Men Are Perverts mentality is, in part, the reason she ends up evicted from the Hinata House.
- Humiliation Conga: In chapters 15-22, Motoko is subjected to a particularly brutal one. First, she assaults Keitaro over a misunderstanding (see Out-of-Context Eavesdropping below) only to be K.O.'d by Kanako. Later, at a meeting to discuss her possible eviction, she adamantly refuses to accept responsibility and instead challenges Keitaro to a duel, only to lose her temper after he breaks her weapon and continue to attack even after being disqualified, after which she gets K.O.'d by Keitaro. Afterwards, she is not only evicted from the Hinata House, but her family is so disgusted by her actions that they elect to ban her from using their techniques and banish her from their family completely until they feel she has learned her lesson.
- Innocent Bigot: Thanks to her aunt, Motoko sincerely believes that sex could never be pleasurable for women and it simply exists to sate men's desires and produce children. Kotoko makes sure she is VERY disabused of that notion.
- Killer Rabbit: Motoko begins to see both Keitaro and Kanako as this.
- Knife Nut: Haruka carries around a butterfly knife that she's quite skilled with. Keitaro is implied to be one when he mentions that he can't twirl a butterfly knife without looking like a thug.
- Mama Bear: Though not really Keitaro's mother, Haruka nonetheless fits the bill in chapter 6 when a berserk Naru is trying to assault a stunned and disabled Keitaro for accidentally seeing her in her underwear. Haruka, after failing to physically restrain her, threatens her with a butterfly knife and explicitly threatens to use said knife on Naru if she doesn't back off; this shocks Naru out of her rage. Afterwards, Haruka admits to Keitaro that she didn't want to do so, but would have done it to protect him.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Motoko has this initial reaction in chapter 15 when she discovers that she attacked Keitaro over a misunderstanding.
- Ignored Epiphany: Unfortunately, it devolves into this when, during a meeting to discuss whether or not Motoko will be evicted, Motoko states she does not regret her actions and instead declares that Keitaro is to blame.
- Never My Fault:
- In the opening chapter, Naru calls Keitaro out for knocking out Motoko. However, as Keitaro points out, Motoko was attacking him with the intent to kill and he was only defending himself.
- After attacking Keitaro over a misunderstanding (see Out-of-Context Eavesdropping below), Motoko adamantly refuses to take responsibility for her own actions and instead blames Keitaro, the victim in the whole situation, for everything, electing to challenge him to an honor duel which ends badly for her.
- No Sell: Keitaro does this to Motoko's Evil Cutting Blade attack during their duel, pointing out that it only works on those with actual malicious intent.
- Noodle Incident: The incident in Roanapur is not explained in detail until chapter 32.
- Nosebleed: Kitsune gets one when Su reveals she read hentai in chapter 34.
- Not Distracted by the Sexy: Kitsune is dismayed to find out that Keitaro is completely immune to her sexiness and will not suffer her foolishness at all. She quickly shapes up.
- Older and Wiser: The author has aged up the younger members of the cast; Motoko is now seventeen, Su and Shinobu are fourteen, and Sarah is also fourteen.
- Out-of-Context Eavesdropping: Motoko overhears Kitsune talking on the phone with Haruka about how Keitaro saved Naru from getting kidnapped at knife-point by a gang, and Keitaro is currently with the police talking it over. Having only heard Kitsune's side of the conversation, and already fully prepared to believe the worst in Keitaro as it is, Motoko automatically assumes that Keitaro had assaulted Naru and attacks him with her sword when he returns to the Hinata House, only to get T.K.O.'d by Kanako in retaliation. When Motoko comes to the next morning, she meets her sister Tsuruko, who wastes no time in chewing her out for jumping to conclusions so quickly based on what little information she heard, let alone not bothering to check with Kitsune.
- Photographic Memory: In chapter 37, Nyamo was able to memorize the sixteen digit security code of Su's lab after seeing Su type it in only once.
- Police Brutality: As detailed in chapter 23, Keitaro saved Kanako from being kidnapped and nearly sold into sex slavery, killing one of her captors in the process. Because of this, and also because Kanako had been drugged and was in no shape to verify what had happened, Keitaro was arrested as a criminal suspect, with the two arresting officers variously accusing him of either being a rival gang member or simply a crazed martial artist, before the lead investigator brutally beat him when he got tired of Keitaro's denials. When Hina got wind of it, she quickly went down to the station with a very senior police official, threw the senior cop across the room and knocked him out, and pulled Keitaro out of the station; the more violent of the two who beat him was promptly dismissed, while the other was permanently demoted to traffic cop.
- Polyamory: Keitaro, Miyuki, and Natsumi. Notably, Miyuki and Natsumi were already romantically involved when they fell in love with Keitaro and Keitaro loves the both of them equally.
- Reluctant Warrior: Keitaro will usually duck, dodge and deflect at first if he is attacked. He will only immediately use crippling or potentially lethal attacks and/or weapons if someone else is in overwhelming danger. Averted during his time in Thailand and Roanapur when deadly weapons (guns and knives) are involved.
- Sex God: A minor version but Keitaro does a good enough job his first time that Miyuki and Natsumi's neighbors chip in to buy them a gift certificate to a love hotel so the three don't keep them up again.
- At the end of chapter 25, Keitaro defeats Motoko using the Hadoken.
- In chapter 34, Su refers to sex as "snu-snu."
- Sleeping with the Boss: Motoko gets sexually and romantically involved with her boss, Kotoko.
- Smoking Is Not Cool: Keitaro disapproves of Haruka's smoking, but doesn't really make a big deal out of it.
- Thicker Than Water: The Urashima family is very big on protecting it's own. Besides Haruka threatening Naru with a butterfly knife, Keitaro killed a thug protecting Kanako. Likewise, one of their family style's "ranks" (though noted to not be a reward or an honor) is allotted only to Urashima who have killed to protect a family member.
- Because of this mentality, Keitaro is incensed when he finds out Motoko's punishment includes banishment from her family until she gets better on her own, instead of her family trying to help her work through her issues.
- A Threesome Is Hot: Keitaro loses his virginity in a three-way with Miyuki and Natsumi.
- Token Yuri Girls: Motoko and Kotoko as of chapter 36.
- A Tragedy of Impulsiveness: Following on from the Out-of-Context Eavesdropping example above, if Motoko had simply double-checked what she had overheard from Kitsune, or if she had simply been a little less willing to automatically believe the worst in Keitaro, she would still be living in the Hinata House and wouldn't have been banished from her family.
- Trouser Space: Motoko attempts this but fails given that she was trying to hide a sword down her pant leg.
- Unskilled, but Strong: Naru is strong enough to punch through solid wood without hurting herself but only knows how to punch.
- When All You Have Is a Hammer: In chapter 9, Keitaro remarks to himself that this is part of Naru's problem: having been only taught how to punch and hit correctly when threatened, Naru has grown to respond to all threats, no matter how small, with violence.
- You Need to Get Laid: Su of all people says this about Naru and Motoko. In Motoko's case, it really does help.