open/close all folders
Rinne Rokudo (六道りんね)
Voiced by: Kaito IshikawaThe main protagonist of the story, Rinne is a dirt-poor teenager of mixed human and Shinigami heritage. He lived with his human grandfather until he passed away, and now takes up residence in Sankai High's abandonded club building. He makes most of his livings off of the weather hutch offerings made by his classmates. He never seems to catch a break in the monetary department, mostly because of Jerkass father stealing from his accounts and sending him bills.
- Anime Hair
- Calling Your Attacks
- Cannot Spit It Out: He has feelings for Sakura, he can admit it to himself but not to anyone else.
- Character Development: He gets more emotional as the series continues.
- Clothes Make the Superman: Physically, Rinne is a normal human with an outlandish hair color... Until he slips into the Haori of the Underworld and takes on the qualities that a normal shinigami or ghost would have.
- Contrasting Sequel Main Character: Rinne is very different from any of Takahashi's male protagonists. He's quite kind and calm headed unlike the regular Jerk with a Heart of Gold.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: A mild example.
- Crazy-Prepared: Downplayed, but he usually has a plan or gadget waiting for his clients
- Curtains Match the Window
- Custom Uniform: His middle school track uniform. Granted, he'd probably change it if he could. (He seemed eager enough to get a regular uniform in an early chapter.)
- Disguised in Drag: Rinne decides to dress in a maid uniform to try and capture a damashigami who is kidnapping school girls. It works. He actually has to unmask himself as male to his opponent when he defeats him. He then takes advantage of his situation to win the school's Mr. Lady competition. While Sakura and her female friends agree he looks cute, Tsubasa is at a loss for words.
- Everyone Can See It: It's really, really obvious that Rinne has a crush on Sakura. Tsubasa's called him out on this before.
- Failure Is the Only Option: There's only a handful of chapters where Rinne isn't jipped or ripped off in the end; and even then the reward's usually nothing monetary. (A hand-made scarf, a kotatsu, etc.)
- Full-Name Basis: He doesn't know how to address anyone otherwise.
- Half-Human Hybrid: His grandmother is a shinigami and his grandfather was human. Since nothing's been mentioned of his mother, it's impossible to say exactly what he is.
- Hilariously Abusive Childhood: At the hands of Sabato.
- Invisible to Normals: With his haori on.
- Limited Wardrobe: Very limited. He at best has two outfits.
- Missing Mom: His dad told him she was dead, but honestly who knows with Sabato
- Nice Guy: Incredibly. He's patient and willing to do anything to save the living and give peace to the dead. And will pay out of his incredibly sad wallet if he has too.
- Not So Above It All: While he's pretty much a saint, but when it comes to money he's willing to break his morals. But even then he refuses to let innocent people be hurt.
- Perpetual Poverty: To the point he'll do anything to save 500 yen, about 5 dollars.
- Raised by Grandparents: His jackass dad wasn't around and honest it was probably for the better.
- Red-Headed Hero
- She Is Not My Girlfriend: To Sakura.
- Shinigami: He's at least a 1/4 Shinigami.
- Sins of Our Fathers: His Jerkass father is to blame for most of his problems.
- The Stoic: He's very calm and collected.
- Not So Stoic: Whenever large amount of money are involved (Hell, money in general), Rinne loses his cool exterior.
- Strong Family Resemblance: He's a sixteen-year-old version of Sabato. We'd imagine he's not very happy about it.
- Sugar and Ice Personality
- Tears of Blood: Rinne suffers through these whenever he has to spend a lot of money on something.
- Troubled, but Cute: Oh, god.
- Unresolved Sexual Tension: With Sakura.
- Weaksauce Weakness: Apparently, Rinne's got a severe case of motion sickness.
- Work Off the Debt: Which wouldn't be so bad if his dad didn't keep making new debt for him
Sakura Mamiya (真宮桜)
Voiced by: Marina InoueAn Ordinary High-School Student who was spirited away as a child. Thanks to Rinne's grandmother Tamako buying her candy from the afterlife, Sakura has the ability to see and talk to ghosts. She first thought Rinne was a ghost when he appeared in homeroom, but later found out he was 'human' when she headbutted him on the streets.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Sakura rarely gets angry, jealous, or upset. When you mess with Rinne's life, however, she takes control.
- Cherry Blossom Girl: Named Sakura, can see ghosts and supernatural beings, is the love interest of a 1/4 Shinigami.
- Childhood Friends: She was friends with Tsubabsa as a child.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: A very mild example. When she sees Rinne with other girls like Ageha she just tries to ignore and avoid him instead of getting all clingy and violent. But she does have a tendency of misinterpreting some of what Rinne has done or said that makes its look like Rinne is interested in another girl.
- Crash-Into Hello: Her method of figuring out whether Rinne was a ghost or not was deliberately ramming her head into his chest.
- Curtains Match The Windows: In some art, both her hair and eyes are brown.
- Deuteragonist: As the story goes on, Rinne steals her spot as protagonist.
- Dude Magnet: A lot of boys, living or not have feelings for her including Rinne and Tsubasa.
- Everyone Can See It: Tsubasa perceives her feelings for Rinne since pretty early on.
- Expy: Kagome with two of Ranma's pigtails.
- Girlish Pigtails
- He Is Not My Boyfriend: To Rinne.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: She would love to not see ghosts.
- Innocently Insensitive: Some of her comments have hurt Rinne, when she revealed that she didn't mean them in a romantic light.
- I See Dead People: Thanks to otherwordly candy.
- Just Friends: She knows all about Tsubasa's crush on her and just sees him as a friend.
- Kaleidoscope Eyes: Takahashi seems to like switching her eye color from brown, to blue, to green, and back again.
- Magic Skirt
- Master of the Mixed Message: This can cause Rinne so much grief.
- Nice Girl: She's very patient and laid back to others.
- Oblivious to Love: She's completely oblivious to Rinne's crush on her and Rinne isn't the most subtle guy when it comes to romance. And it took her nearly 200 chapters before she realized that she liked Rinne.
- Ordinary High-School Student
- Selective Obliviousness
- Self-Serving Memory
- The Stoic: Nothing much fazes her.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: She's a nice girl, just unusually calm and inexpressive.
- Supporting Protagonist
- This Is Unforgivable!: When Kain steals Rinne's soul. Granted it only lasts so long, but one can tell she's ticked over her friend's life being taken.
- Unfazed Everyman: Sakura is very blase about everything around her...
- Unresolved Sexual Tension: With Rinne.
- What Is This Feeling?: She doesn't get why she got so upset when she misunderstood something Rinne said to Matsugo about her as him saying he only hangs out with her to get free food and money.
- You Are Worth Hell: Variation, she gives up special candies that were given to her from Tamako that stop her from seeing ghost because she hadn't seen Rinne for 3 days.
Voiced by: Hitomi NabatameRinne's young Black Cat by Contract. He once worked for Tamako, but was fired and went to the human world to fall back on Rinne. Despite his young age he's very smart, and is usually the one to explain the various shinigami tools and such to Sakura.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: In order to tell the audience not to bash their heads on rocks for training.
- Deadpan Snarker: He shows shades of this every so often.
- Deliberately Cute Child: Rokumon sometimes uses his kitten form to get people to give him food.
- Expy: Shippo or Ten.
- Mega Neko: Another of his forms. (His other being a small kitten.)
- Mouthy Kid: But not without good reason.
- Mr. Exposition: When he explains the purpose of various devices used by shinigami.
- Non-Human Sidekick
- Parrot Pet Position: He's usually seen riding on Rinne's shoulder
- Shipper on Deck: For Rinne×Sakura.
- Snarky Non-Human Sidekick
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: He can't do much with it.
Voiced by: Satsuki YukinoRinne's paternal grandmother and a young looking Shinigami.
- Berserk Button: Never call her "grandma".
- Beware the Nice Ones
- Doting Grandparent: She's quite kind and loving to Rinne.
- Eyes Always Shut
- Flower in Her Hair
- Interspecies Romance: A shinigami who fell in love with a human man.
- Love at First Sight: She fell in love with Rinne's grandfather the moment she met him when she was supposed to retrieve his soul.
- Mayfly-December Romance: With Rinne's grandfather.
- Mystical White Hair
- Paper Fan of Doom
- Perpetual Smiler: She NEVER stops smiles even when pissed.
- Really 700 Years Old: And she never likes being remind of it.
- Shipper on Deck: For Rinne×Sakura.
- Supernaturally Young Parent: She's Rinne's grandmother and Sabato's mother, but due to being a Shinigami, she looks like a pretty young lady.
Voiced by: Ryohei KimuraAn exorcist. Like Sakura, he can also see ghosts, but often brutally attacks them with "sacred ashes" instead of trying to put them to rest.
- Birds of a Feather: He fell for Sakura because they could both see the dead.
- Childhood Friend Romance: He met Sakura when they were children when they attended the same elementary school. Since Sakura could see spirits too he developed a crush on her.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: Though he does draw the line at actually hurting someone.
- Dogged Nice Guy: To Sakura.
- Expy: Looks like Miroku, but acts like a slightly nicer Ryoga.
- Hopeless Suitor: He always tell Sakura of his feelings but she likes Rinne.
- I See Dead People
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- The Rival: To Rinne in both romance and exorcisms.
AgehaA Shinigami girl from a family of an elite shinigami known for taking down damashigami. Unlike Rinne, she is incredibly wealthy and throws her money away with little thought.
- Cain and Abel: Her sister betrayed the shinigami and became Sabato's secretary.
- Clingy Jealous Girl
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Initially she is prickly and impatient with Rinne, who she views as a rival. After Rinne agrees to help her find her missing sister, she begins to warm to him.
- Hair Decorations
- The Heart: Ageha is the cause of most of the groups bonding moments, if accidentally.
- Hopeless Suitor: To Rinne.
- Reused Character Design: She's identical to Abi-Hime from Inuyasha.
- Rich in Dollars, Poor in Sense: What else can you call it when it's flagrantly obvious that damashigami—you know, her arch-enemies—are trying to swindle her out of money, yet she keeps paying up? It's like her brain shorts out the moment she's presented with any problem, no matter how ridiculous, to which "money" is the solution.
- Sailor Fuku
- Spoiled Brat
- Tsundere: Towards pretty much everyone who isn't Rinne.
- Upper-Class Twit
- Uptown Girl: A rich girl who has set her eyes on the extremely poor Rinne.
- Zettai Ryouiki
OboroAgeha's Black Cat by Contract. They have a strained relationship because during their first mission together the two started to argue and Ageha buried Oboro under a boulder where he remained trapped for a year before being able to dig his way out.
- Cat Boy
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: He and Ageha don't always get along, and seem to outright hate each other sometimes. After his introduction arc, they are more like Vitriolic Best Buds.
- Wolverine Claws
KainA Shirushigami, a clerk in the afterlife. He steals Rinne's lifeflame because his father Sabato used Kain's mother, consantly borrowed money for her, and stuck her with little money to provide for herself and her son.
- Anti-Villain: While he's a jerk, he has very valid reasons for hating Sabato.
- Expy: He's basically the comical version of Sesshoumaru. Just look at his black cat.
- Horrible Judge of Character: He has a connection with Renge, who he mistakenly believes is an upright, stalwart young lady, though in reality she works directly for his hated Damashigami Company.
- White Hair, Black Heart
SuzuKain's Black Cat by Contract.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!
- Cat Girl
- Expy: a more cheerful version of Rin from Inuyasha.
- Genki Girl
- Obsessed with Food
MatsugoRinne's old classmate from Shinigami Elementary.
- Ambiguously Gay: Tsubasa outright asks him if he likes Rinne that way, and Matsugo denies it. But then he gives Rinne the same stalker-ish choker with what is basically a spycam that Ageha was trying to give him...
- Because You Were Nice to Me: Rinne once saved him from a bully and from major embarrassment. Because of this, Matsugo is fiercely devoted to him to the point everyone calls him a girl in love, though he calls it mere "friendship".
- Childhood Friends: He and Rinne went to elementary school together. Matsugo claims they are best friends, but Rinne doesn't think of their relationship as highly as he does.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: When Rinne and Sakura try to pretend to be dating in an attempt to keep Matsugo away from Rinne, Matsugo does anything possible separate Rinne from Sakura and have Rinne all for himself, because he thinks his "friendship" is more powerful than love.
Voiced by: Kappei YamaguchiRinne's father and the president of the Damashigami Company, an illegal business committed to stealing the souls of people who have not ended their lifespan.
- Abusive Dad: Sabato financially abuses Rinne to the point where it just isn't funny anymore.
- Antagonistic Offspring: He and his mother Tamako don't see eye to eye. In fact she has actually tried to kill him.
- Archnemesis Dad: Rinne would happily strangle him if he had the chance.
- The Casanova
- Chick Magnet
- Corrupt Corporate Executive
- Curtains Match the Window
- Evil Is Petty
- Evil Redhead
- Half-Human Hybrid
- Handsome Lech
- It's All About Me
- Jerk with a Heart of Jerk: He once goes through a lot of trouble to get back a photograph featuring himself holding a young Rinne, even returning the money he borrowed from Sakura to get it back. It turns out that he hid a larger amount of cash in the frame.
- Miser Advisor
- Mum Looks Like A Sister: A male example. He looks more like Rinne's older brother than like his father.
- Older Than He Looks
- Shipper on Deck: For Rinne×Sakura, in a more devious and malicious way than Tamako and Rokumon.
Voiced by: Tetsuya KakiharaA wealthy devil that seek revenge against Rinne.
- Expy: Of Pantythose Taro from Ranma ˝.
- Facial Markings
- Pointy Ears
- Revenge: He seeks revenge against Rinne because during he made him fail his homework assignment of retrieving a soul and bring it to Hell.
- Winged Humanoid
Renge ShimaA New Transfer Student at Rinne's school, but she is also a Damashigami.
- Anti-Villain: She was once a Shinigami whose reputation was ruined by Sabato. Renge had no choice but to work as a Damashigami to pay the bills.
- Flower in Her Hair
- Hime Cut
- Horned Humanoid
- Jerk with a Heart of Jerk: She gives charms to repel ghosts to the students to "atone for what she has done". She later reveals she was just stealing Rinne's customers and when the charms' effect wears off she tries to take advantage of the situation to take the lives of the students.
- New Transfer Student