open/close all folders
Rinne Rokudo (六道りんね)
Voiced by: Kaito IshikawaThe main protagonist of the story, Rinne is a dirt-poor teenager of mixed human and Shinigami heritage. He lived with his human grandfather until he passed away, and now takes up residence in Sankai High's abandonded club building. He makes most of his livings off of the weather hutch offerings made by his classmates. He never seems to catch a break in the monetary department, mostly because of Jerkass father stealing from his accounts and sending him bills.
- Adorkable: Just look at this kid blush!
- Attractive Bent-Gender: When he dresses in a maid uniform to try and capture a damashigami, he takes advantage of his situation to win the school's Mr. Lady competition. Sakura and her female friends agree he looks cute, Tsubasa is at a loss for words.
- Calling Your Attacks
- Cannot Spit It Out: He has feelings for Sakura, he can admit it to himself but not to anyone else.
- Childhood Friends: He was friends with Matsugo in elementary school. Rinne finds his current obsession with him annoying, though.
- Clothes Make the Superman: Physically, Rinne is a normal human with an outlandish hair color... Until he slips into the Haori of the Underworld and takes on the qualities that a normal shinigami or ghost would have.
- The Comically Serious: He almost always reacts to everything in his usual monotone voice, whether the situation is serious or not.
- Contrasting Sequel Main Character: Rinne is very different from any of Takahashi's male protagonists. He's quite kind and calm headed unlike the regular Jerk with a Heart of Gold.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: A mild example.
- Crazy-Prepared: Downplayed, but he usually has a plan or gadget waiting for his clients
- Curtains Match the Window
- Custom Uniform: His middle school track uniform. Granted, he'd probably change it if he could. (He seemed eager enough to get a regular uniform in an early chapter.)
- Disguised in Drag: Rinne decides to dress in a maid uniform to try and capture a damashigami who is kidnapping school girls. It works. He actually has to unmask himself as male to his opponent when he defeats him.
- Everyone Can See It: It's really, really obvious that Rinne has a crush on Sakura. Tsubasa's called him out on this before.
- Failure Is the Only Option: There's only a handful of chapters where Rinne isn't gypped or ripped off in the end; and even then the reward's usually nothing monetary. (A hand-made scarf, a kotatsu, etc.)
- Freudian Excuse: Rinne seems to have an irrational hatred for damashigami, who attempt to claim the souls of people who aren't scheduled to die yet to fill their quota. Aside from that questionable method, Sakura also later finds out that it's because his father is one, and constantly puts debt on Rinne that he then is forced to pay off. Consequently, Rinne isn't too fond of his father.
- Full-Name Basis: With Sakura.
- Green-Eyed Epiphany: Though he's not sure why, he doesn't like it when Tsubasa shows up and immediately starts making moves on Sakura.
- Half-Human Hybrid: His grandmother is a shinigami and his grandfather was human. Since nothing's been mentioned of his mother, it's impossible to say exactly what he is.
- Hilariously Abusive Childhood: At the hands of Sabato.
- Invisible to Normals: With his haori on.
- Limited Wardrobe: Very limited. He at best has two outfits.
- Missing Mom: His dad told him she was dead, but honestly who knows with Sabato
- Mr. Vice Guy: Rinne is one of the kindest and most altruistic characters in the cast, but he's also clearly inherited a small fraction of his father's greed and laziness.
- Nice Guy: Incredibly. He's patient and willing to do anything to save the living and give peace to the dead. And will pay out of his incredibly sad wallet if he has too.
- Not So Above It All: While he's pretty much a saint, but when it comes to money he's willing to break his morals. But even then he refuses to let innocent people be hurt.
- Only Friend: Rinne was Matsugo's only friend.
- Perpetual Poverty: To the point he'll do anything to save 500 yen, about 5 dollars. Justified however, because he is forced to purchase exorcism tools due to not being a full Shinigami and thus being able to summon them. That, and his father constantly steals anything he manages to save up for a rainy day.
- Proper Tights with a Skirt: He wears this when dressed as a maid in chapter 26 of the manga/episode 9 of the anime.
- Raised by Grandparents: His jackass dad wasn't around much and honest it was probably for the better.
- She Is Not My Girlfriend: To Sakura.
- Sins of Our Fathers: His Jerkass father is to blame for most of his problems.
- The Stoic: He's very calm and collected.
- Not So Stoic: Whenever large amount of money are involved (Hell, money in general), Rinne loses his cool exterior.
- Strong Family Resemblance: He's a sixteen-year-old version of Sabato. We'd imagine he's not very happy about it.
- Sugar and Ice Personality
- Tears of Blood: Rinne suffers through these whenever he has to spend a lot of money on something.
- Took a Level in Cheerfulness: He gets more emotional as the series continues.
- Troubled, but Cute: Oh, god.
- Uneven Hybrid: He's at least a 1/4 Shinigami.
- Unresolved Sexual Tension: With Sakura.
- Weaksauce Weakness: Apparently, Rinne's got a severe case of motion sickness.
- Work Off the Debt: Which wouldn't be so bad if his dad didn't keep making new debt for him
Sakura Mamiya (真宮桜)
Voiced by: Marina InoueAn Ordinary High-School Student who was spirited away as a child. Thanks to Rinne's grandmother Tamako buying her candy from the afterlife, Sakura has the ability to see and talk to ghosts. She first thought Rinne was a ghost when he appeared in homeroom, but later found out he was 'human' when she headbutted him on the streets.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Sakura rarely gets angry, jealous, or upset. When you mess with Rinne's life, however, she takes control.
- Cherry Blossom Girl: Named Sakura, can see ghosts and supernatural beings, is the love interest of a 1/4 Shinigami.
- Childhood Friends: She was friends with Tsubasa as a child.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: A very mild example. When she sees Rinne with other girls like Ageha she just tries to ignore and avoid him instead of getting all clingy and violent. But she does have a tendency of misinterpreting some of what Rinne has done or said that makes its look like Rinne is interested in another girl.
- Crash-Into Hello: Her method of figuring out whether Rinne was a ghost or not was deliberately ramming her head into his chest.
- Curtains Match The Windows: In some art, both her hair and eyes are brown.
- Deuteragonist: As the story goes on, Rinne steals her spot as protagonist.
- Dude Magnet: A lot of boys, living or not have feelings for her including Rinne and Tsubasa.
- Everyone Can See It: Tsubasa perceives her feelings for Rinne since pretty early on.
- Expy: Kagome with two of Ranma's pigtails.
- Girlish Pigtails
- Green-Eyed Epiphany: Though subtle, when she first encounters Ageha, holding Rinne's hands no less, she claims that it's not a big deal. But later when she recalls the scene, she wonders why this seems to bother her. She also seems bothered when she sees Ageha hugging him from behind after he saves her from a damashigami, but was actually only interested in the bounty it had on it.
- He Is Not My Boyfriend: To Rinne.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: She would love to not see ghosts.
- Innocently Insensitive: Some of her comments have hurt Rinne, like when she revealed that she didn't mean them in a romantic light.
- I See Dead People: Thanks to otherwordly candy.
- Just Friends: She knows all about Tsubasa's crush on her and just sees him as a friend.
- Kaleidoscope Eyes: Takahashi seems to like switching her eye color from brown, to blue, to green, and back again. The anime gives her blue eyes.
- Magic Skirt
- Master of the Mixed Message: Due to how inexpressive she is, it's practically impossible for Rinne to figure out how she truly feels about him or what she's thinking. This can cause Rinne so much grief.
- Nice Girl: She's very patient and laid back to others.
- Oblivious to Love: She's completely oblivious to Rinne's crush on her and Rinne isn't the most subtle guy when it comes to romance. And it took her nearly 200 chapters before she realized that she liked Rinne.
- Ordinary High-School Student
- Reused Character Design: She looks just like a less busty, brown-haired version of girl-type Ranma with twin braided pigtails instead of just one.
- Selective Obliviousness
- Self-Serving Memory
- The Stoic: Nothing much fazes her.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: She's a nice girl, just unusually calm and inexpressive.
- Supporting Protagonist
- This Is Unforgivable!: When Kain steals Rinne's soul. Granted it only lasts so long, but one can tell she's ticked over her friend's life being taken.
- Unfazed Everyman: Sakura is very blase about everything around her...
- Unresolved Sexual Tension: With Rinne.
- What Is This Feeling?: She doesn't get why she got so upset when she misunderstood something Rinne said to Matsugo about her as him saying he only hangs out with her to get free food and money.
- You Are Worth Hell: Variation, she gives up special candies that were given to her from Tamako that stop her from seeing ghost because she hadn't seen Rinne for 3 days.
Voiced by: Hitomi NabatameRinne's young Black Cat by Contract. He once worked for Tamako, but was fired and went to the human world to fall back on Rinne. Despite his young age he's very smart, and is usually the one to explain the various shinigami tools and such to Sakura.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: In order to tell the audience not to bash their heads on rocks for training.
- Cat Boy: In his default form, he resembles a small child wearing a cat costume.
- Deadpan Snarker: He shows shades of this every so often.
- Deliberately Cute Child: Rokumon sometimes uses his kitten form to get people to give him food.
- Expy: Shippo or Ten.
- Mega Neko: Another of his forms. (His other being a small kitten.)
- Mouthy Kid: But not without good reason.
- Mr. Exposition: When he explains the purpose of various devices used by shinigami.
- Non-Human Sidekick
- Parrot Pet Position: He's usually seen riding on Rinne's shoulder
- Shipper on Deck: For Rinne×Sakura.
- Snarky Non-Human Sidekick
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: He can't do much with it.
Voiced by: Satsuki YukinoRinne's paternal grandmother and a young looking Shinigami.
- Berserk Button: Never call her "grandma".
- Beware the Nice Ones: She is nice most of the time. But some things set her off, and she really hates Sabato taking advantage of Rinne, stopping him if she gets the chance to.
- Doting Grandparent: She's quite kind and loving to Rinne.
- Eyes Always Shut
- Flower in Her Hair
- Interspecies Romance: A shinigami who fell in love with a human man.
- Love at First Sight: She fell in love with Rinne's grandfather the moment she met him when she was supposed to retrieve his soul.
- Mayfly-December Romance: With Rinne's grandfather.
- Mystical White Hair
- Paper Fan of Doom
- Perpetual Smiler: She NEVER stops smiles even when pissed.
- Really 700 Years Old: And she never likes being remind of it.
- Shipper on Deck: For Rinne×Sakura.
- Supernaturally Young Parent: She's Rinne's grandmother and Sabato's mother, but due to being a Shinigami, she looks like a pretty young lady.
Voiced by: Ryohei KimuraAn exorcist. Like Sakura, he can also see ghosts, but often brutally attacks them with "sacred ashes" instead of trying to put them to rest.
- Ambiguously Christian: Uses a lot of cross imagery and carries a Bible, but has never had his religion explicitly stated.
- Birds of a Feather: He fell for Sakura because they could both see the dead.
- Calling Your Attacks
- Childhood Friend Romance: He met Sakura when they were children when they attended the same elementary school. Since Sakura could see spirits too he developed a crush on her.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: Though he does draw the line at actually hurting someone.
- Dogged Nice Guy: To Sakura.
- Expy: Looks like Miroku, but acts like a slightly nicer Ryoga.
- Hopeless Suitor: He always tell Sakura of his feelings but she likes Rinne.
- I See Dead People
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- The Rival: To Rinne in both romance and exorcisms.
- The Worf Barrage: His sacred ashes are supposedly effective against weaker spirits, but have never actually accomplished anything useful.
AgehaA Shinigami girl from a family of an elite shinigami known for taking down damashigami. Unlike Rinne, she is incredibly wealthy and throws her money away with little thought.
- Cain and Abel: Her sister betrayed the shinigami and became Sabato's secretary.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Acts this way towards Rinne, especially if Sakura is around.
- Cry Cute: After Rinne saves her despite her initial hostility towards him.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Initially she is prickly and impatient with Rinne, who she views as a rival. After Rinne agrees to help her find her missing sister, she begins to warm to him.
- Friendless Background: She mentions that Rinne is one of her first friends she's ever made. Probably due to a few reasons such as her privileged background, and like Rinne is a Shinigami.
- The Glomp: Does one to Rinne from behind after he saves her from a damashigami. Unfortunately Sakura happened to see it, and assumes the two must be dating.
- Hair Decorations: Her hair ribbon functions in similar fashion as Rinne's cloak. She can wear it one way to be Invisible to Normals, and she can wear it another way to become visible.
- The Heart: Ageha is the cause of most of the groups bonding moments, if accidentally.
- Hopeless Suitor: To Rinne.
- Love Epiphany: Has one after Rinne rescues her from a damashigami that overpowered her. Though in reality he did it because of the one million yen bounty the guy had on him.
- Ojou: She comes from a very rich shinigami family.
- Rescue Romance: Starts to fall in love with Rinne after he saves her from a damashigami.
- Reused Character Design: She's identical to Abi-Hime from Inuyasha.
- Rich in Dollars, Poor in Sense: What else can you call it when it's flagrantly obvious that damashigami—you know, her arch-enemies—are trying to swindle her out of money, yet she keeps paying up? It's like her brain shorts out the moment she's presented with any problem, no matter how ridiculous, to which "money" is the solution.
- Sailor Fuku: Her default outfit. Interestingly it doesn't seem like she attends school, or at least is never seen in one.
- Shinigami: Unlike Rinne, she is a full blooded one. Also unlike Rinne, she has a vast fortune she can call on when she needs tools.
- Spoiled Brat
- Tsundere: Towards pretty much everyone who isn't Rinne.
- Upper-Class Twit: Not only does she have extremely loose spending habits, but she has consistently demonstrated an inability to properly follow simple instructions and regularly forgets to follow up on delayed responsibilities.
- Uptown Girl: A rich girl who has set her eyes on the extremely poor Rinne.
- Zettai Ryouiki
OboroAgeha's Black Cat by Contract. They have a strained relationship because during their first mission together the two started to argue and Ageha buried Oboro under a boulder where he remained trapped for a year before being able to dig his way out.
- Cat Boy
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: He and Ageha don't always get along, and seem to outright hate each other sometimes. After his introduction arc, they are more like Vitriolic Best Buds.
- Wolverine Claws
Voiced by: Soma SaitoA Shirushigami, a clerk in the afterlife. He steals Rinne's lifeflame because his father Sabato used Kain's mother, consantly borrowed money for her, and stuck her with little money to provide for herself and her son.
- Everyone Has Standards: While he's a major dick to Rinne, he refuses to harm humans.
- Expy: He's basically the comical version of Sesshoumaru. Just look at his black cat.
- Freudian Excuse: While he's a jerk, he has very valid reasons for hating Sabato.
- Horrible Judge of Character: He has a connection with Renge, who he mistakenly believes is an upright, stalwart young lady, though in reality she works directly for his hated Damashigami Company.
- Inspector Javert: Frequently to Rinne.
- Jerkass: He's pretty mean to Rinne, always thinking Rinne is working with his father.
- Oblivious to Love: He has no idea that Renge is in love with him despite her obvious signs.
- Perpetual Poverty: He has it just as bad as Rinne, due to Rinne's dad taking all his money and his mom being pretty careless with what's left.
- The Stoic: He rarely emotes ....
- Not So Stoic: Unless its about money or Rinne and his family.
- What the Hell, Hero?: He was called out by Sabato!
- White Hair, Black Heart
SuzuKain's Black Cat by Contract.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: She has no focus at all.
- Cat Girl
- Expy: A more cheerful version of Rin from Inuyasha.
- Genki Girl: She has never been seen sad.
- Obsessed with Food: Which is sad when mixed with a very poor Kain.
MatsugoRinne's old classmate from Shinigami Elementary.
- Ambiguously Gay: Tsubasa outright asks him if he likes Rinne that way, and Matsugo denies it. But then he gives Rinne the same stalker-ish choker with what is basically a spycam that Ageha was trying to give him...
- Because You Were Nice to Me: Rinne once saved him from a bully and from major embarrassment. Because of this, Matsugo is fiercely devoted to him to the point everyone calls him a girl in love, though he calls it mere "friendship".
- Childhood Friends: He and Rinne went to elementary school together. Matsugo claims they are best friends, but Rinne doesn't think of their relationship as highly as he does.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: When Rinne and Sakura try to pretend to be dating in an attempt to keep Matsugo away from Rinne, Matsugo does anything possible to separate Rinne from Sakura and have Rinne all for himself, because he thinks his "friendship" is more powerful than love.
Right and Left MikazukiA twin brother and sister. Left, the brother, is a blacksmith who makes Shinigami scythes, while Right, the sister, tries to sell them.
- Bungling Inventor: Left's creations are always both extremely impressive and completely useless.
- Genki Girl: Right.
- Little Bit Beastly: They have rabbit ears and tails.
- Polar Opposite Twins: Right is a cheerful and friendly Genki Girl. Left is completely incapable of talking to someone without insulting them.
Voiced by: Kappei YamaguchiRinne's father and the president of the Damashigami Company, an illegal business committed to stealing the souls of people who have not ended their lifespan.
- Abusive Dad: Sabato financially abuses Rinne to the point where it just isn't funny anymore.
- Affably Evil: He at least spends a lot of the money he steals from Rinne towards his employees. Or at least the female ones.
- Antagonistic Offspring: He and his mother Tamako don't see eye to eye. In fact she has actually tried to kill him.
- Archnemesis Dad: Rinne would happily strangle him if he had the chance.
- Bishōnen: Uses his good looks to woo women, in addition to spending large amounts of money on them, courtesy of stealing from Rinne.
- The Casanova: He has tournaments filled with women who want to marry him.
- Chick Magnet
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: He's hasn't paid any of his employees
- Curtains Match the Window
- Evil Is Hammy: Tends to speak in this way a lot of times, especially towards Rinne.
- Evil Is Petty: He repeatedly steals small amounts of money a young Rinne gets. At some points he even steals from his own employees and company.
- Evil Redhead: He really has no redeeming qualities, as seen when he repeatedly steals Rinne's money.
- Expy: A more devious and malicious version of Genma Saotome.
- Gold Digger: He promised Kain's mother to marry her only to get money from her. Because of him, Kain is poor.
- Half-Human Hybrid: Tamako's son, who is a shinigami, and fell in love with his father, a human.
- Handsome Lech
- The Heavy: The majority of the cast's problem come from him. Rinne and Kain's poverty, Sakura's ability to see ghosts, Aegha's family's reputation taking a hit and Renge being a Damashigami.
- It's All About Me: He's been stealing from his son since before he was even 10.
- Jerkass: Has no qualms about stealing pitiful amounts of money from Rinne, and will even steal from his own company and employees if the situation arrives.
- Jerk With A Heart Of Jerk: He once goes through a lot of trouble to get back a photograph featuring himself holding a young Rinne, even returning the money he borrowed from Sakura to get it back. It turns out that he hid a larger amount of cash in the frame.
- Lazy Bum: He loathes working legitimately, but does quite a bit if it involves stealing someone else's money.
- Miser Advisor
- Mum Looks Like a Sister: A male example. He looks more like Rinne's older brother than like his father.
- Older Than He Looks: Is Rinne's father, but could easily be mistaken for his older brother instead.
- Parental Abandonment: Rinne was pretty much raised by his grandparents. And considering how awful Sabato is, it was for the best.
- Shipper on Deck: For Rinne×Sakura, in a more devious and malicious way than Tamako and Rokumon.
Voiced by: Tetsuya KakiharaA wealthy devil that seek revenge against Rinne.
- Evil Is Petty: He'll use any chance to kill Rinne, from even attacking him when sick.
- Expy: Of Pantythose Taro from Ranma ½.
- Facial Markings
- Jerkass: He's a devil, what do you expect.
- Pointy Ears
- Revenge: He seeks revenge against Rinne because during he made him fail his homework assignment of retrieving a soul and bring it to Hell.
- Winged Humanoid
Renge ShimaA New Transfer Student at Rinne's school, but she is also a Damashigami.
- Anti-Villain: She was once a Shinigami whose reputation was ruined by Sabato. Renge had no choice but to work as a Damashigami to pay the bills.
- Cannot Spit It Out: She refuses to tell Kain her feelings.
- Expy: An Anti-Villain minion reluctantly working for a despised boss, who has a crush on a white-haired stoic enemy? Kagura says "Hello."
- Flower in Her Hair
- Hime Cut
- Hopeless Suitor: She's in love with Kain, but he's completely in the dark.
- Horned Humanoid
- Jerk With A Heart Of Jerk: She gives charms to repel ghosts to the students to "atone for what she has done". She later reveals she was just stealing Rinne's customers and when the charms' effect wears off she tries to take advantage of the situation to take the lives of the students.
- New Transfer Student
- Perpetual Poverty: Just as bad Rinne
- Weird Trade Union: She's the leader of a mostly ineffectual Damashigami union.