open/close all folders
Rinne Rokudo (六道りんね)
Voiced by: Kaito IshikawaThe main protagonist of the story, Rinne is a dirt-poor teenager of mixed human and Shinigami heritage. He lived with his human grandfather until he passed away, and now takes up residence in Sankai High's abandonded club building. He makes most of his livings off of the weather hutch offerings made by his classmates. He never seems to catch a break in the monetary department, mostly because of Jerkass father stealing from his accounts and sending him bills.
- Adorkable: Just look at this kid blush!
- Attractive Bent-Gender: When he dresses in a maid uniform to try and capture a damashigami, he takes advantage of his situation to win the school's Mr. Lady competition. Sakura and her female friends agree he looks cute, Tsubasa is at a loss for words.
- Berserk Button:
- Making him spend more money than he needs to.
- People messing up his luxury meals, which for him is instant noodles ...
- Benevolent Boss: Rokumon is technically his employee and he's nothing but kind and respectful to him. He's even willing to spend money for Rokumon when he's sick.
- Cannot Spit It Out: He has feelings for Sakura, he can admit it to himself but not to anyone else.
- Childhood Friends: He was friends with Matsugo in elementary school. Rinne finds his current obsession with him annoying, though.
- Clothes Make the Superman: Physically, Rinne is a normal human with an outlandish hair color... Until he slips into the Haori of the Underworld and takes on the qualities that a normal shinigami or ghost would have.
- The Comically Serious: He almost always reacts to everything in his usual monotone voice, whether the situation is serious or not.
- Contrasting Sequel Main Character: Rinne is very different from any of Takahashi's male protagonists. He's quite kind and calm headed unlike the regular Jerk with a Heart of Gold.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: A mild example but he does get annoyed when someone makes a move on Sakura.
- Crazy-Prepared: Downplayed, but he usually has a plan or gadget waiting for his clients.
- Curtains Match the Window: Red eyes and red hair to match.
- Custom Uniform: His middle school track uniform. Granted, he'd probably change it if he could. (He seemed eager enough to get a regular uniform in an early chapter.)
- Disguised in Drag: Rinne decides to dress in a maid uniform to try and capture a damashigami who is kidnapping school girls. It works. He actually has to unmask himself as male to his opponent when he defeats him.
- Everyone Can See It: It's really, really obvious that Rinne has a crush on Sakura. Tsubasa's called him out on this before.
- Failure Is the Only Option: There's only a handful of chapters where Rinne isn't ripped off in the end; and even then the reward's usually nothing monetary. (A hand-made scarf, a kotatsu, etc.)
- Freudian Excuse: Rinne seems to have an irrational hatred for damashigami, who attempt to claim the souls of people who aren't scheduled to die yet to fill their quota. Aside from that questionable method, Sakura also later finds out that it's because his father is their leader, and constantly puts debt on Rinne that he then is forced to pay off. Consequently, Rinne isn't too fond of his father.
- Full-Name Basis: With Sakura.
- Green-Eyed Epiphany: Though he's not sure why, he doesn't like it when Tsubasa shows up and immediately starts making moves on Sakura.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: A lot of chapters show he has a low opinion of himself due to his poverty.
- Hilariously Abusive Childhood: At the hands of Sabato.
- Invisible to Normals: With his haori on.
- Like Father, Unlike Son: While he's the spitting image of his dad, they're the exact opposite in personality.
- Limited Wardrobe: Very limited. He at best has two outfits.
- Living with the Villain: In addition of going to the same school, the Damashigami Renge moves in as his next-door neighbor.
- Missing Mom: His dad told him she was dead. That was a lie, but it was closer to the truth than Sabato realized.
- Mr. Vice Guy: Rinne is one of the kindest and most altruistic characters in the cast, but he's also clearly inherited a small fraction of his father's greed and laziness.
- Mundane Luxury: When your pleasures in life include eating bread crumbs with—and meant for—birds, as well as munching on grass for a meal, anything beyond that is a luxury.
- Nice Guy: Incredibly. He's patient and willing to do anything to save the living and give peace to the dead. And will pay out of his incredibly sad wallet if he has too.
- Not So Above It All: While he's pretty much a saint, but when it comes to money he's willing to break his morals. But even then he refuses to let innocent people be hurt.
- Not So Different: When it comes to money, he can be just as conniving as his dad if he wants to be.
- Only Friend: Rinne was Matsugo's only friend.
- Perpetual Poverty: To the point he'll do anything to save 500 yen, about 5 dollars. Justified however, because he is forced to purchase exorcism tools due to not being a full Shinigami and thus being able to summon them. That, and his father constantly steals anything he manages to save up for a rainy day.
- Proper Tights with a Skirt: He wears this when dressed as a maid in chapter 26 of the manga/episode 9 of the anime.
- Raised by Grandparents: His jackass dad wasn't around much and honestly it was probably for the better.
- She Is Not My Girlfriend: To Sakura.
- Sins of Our Fathers: His Jerkass father is to blame for most of his problems.
- The Stoic: He's very calm and collected.
- Not So Stoic: Whenever large amount of money are involved (Hell, money in general), Rinne loses his cool exterior.
- Strong Family Resemblance: He's a sixteen-year-old version of Sabato. We'd imagine he's not very happy about it.
- Sugar-and-Ice Personality: He's very serious and cool-headed most of the time, but can show a softer and caring side to Sakura and Rokumon.
- Tears of Blood: Rinne suffers through these whenever he has to spend a lot of money on something.
- Took a Level in Cheerfulness: He gets more emotional as the series continues.
- Uneven Hybrid: Grandmother? Shinigami. Grandfather? Human. Father? Half-human. Mother? Shinigami. This makes Rinne only one quarter human.
- Unresolved Sexual Tension: With Sakura.
- Unwitting Test Subject: Often to Right and Left's "inventions".
- Weaksauce Weakness: Apparently, Rinne's got a severe case of motion sickness.
- Work Off the Debt: Which wouldn't be so bad if his dad didn't keep making new debt for him.
Sakura Mamiya (真宮桜)
Voiced by: Marina InoueAn Ordinary High-School Student who was spirited away as a child. Thanks to Rinne's grandmother Tamako buying her candy from the afterlife, Sakura has the ability to see and talk to ghosts. She first thought Rinne was a ghost when he appeared in homeroom, but later found out he was 'human' when she headbutted him on the streets.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Sakura rarely gets angry, jealous, or upset. When you mess with Rinne's life, however, she takes control.
- Cherry Blossom Girl: Named Sakura, can see ghosts and supernatural beings, is the love interest of a 1/4 Shinigami.
- Childhood Friends: She was friends with Tsubasa as a child.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: A very mild example. When she sees Rinne with other girls like Ageha she just tries to ignore and avoid him instead of getting all clingy and violent. But she does have a tendency of misinterpreting some of what Rinne has done or said that makes its look like Rinne is interested in another girl.
- Crash-Into Hello: Her method of figuring out whether Rinne was a ghost or not was deliberately ramming her head into his chest.
- Curtains Match The Windows: In some art, both her hair and eyes are brown.
- Deadpan Snarker: More on the deadpan side but she's about as mouthy as Rokumon.
- Deuteragonist: As the story goes on, Rinne steals her spot as protagonist.
- Dude Magnet: A lot of boys, living or not have feelings for her including Rinne and Tsubasa.
- Everyone Can See It: Tsubasa perceives her feelings for Rinne since pretty early on.
- Girlish Pigtails
- Green-Eyed Epiphany: Though subtle, when she first encounters Ageha, holding Rinne's hands no less, she claims that it's not a big deal. But later when she recalls the scene, she wonders why this seems to bother her. She also seems bothered when she sees Ageha hugging him from behind after he saves her from a damashigami, but was actually only interested in the bounty it had on it.
- He Is Not My Boyfriend: To Rinne.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: She would love to not see ghosts.
- Innocently Insensitive: Some of her comments have hurt Rinne, like when she revealed that she didn't mean them in a romantic light.
- I See Dead People: Thanks to otherwordly candy.
- Just Friends: She knows all about Tsubasa's crush on her and just sees him as a friend.
- Kaleidoscope Eyes: Takahashi seems to like switching her eye color from brown, to blue, to green, and back again. The anime gives her blue eyes.
- Master of the Mixed Message: Due to how inexpressive she is, it's practically impossible for Rinne to figure out how she truly feels about him or what she's thinking. This can cause Rinne so much grief.
- Morality Chain: A lot of times, Rinne is pulled back from his greed when he realizes that she's watching him.
- Nice Girl: She's very patient and laid back to others.
- Oblivious to Love: She's completely oblivious to Rinne's crush on her and Rinne isn't the most subtle guy when it comes to romance. And it took her nearly 200 chapters before she realized that she liked Rinne.
- Reused Character Design:
- Self-Serving Memory: The narration is quick to point out how Sakura interpreted Rinne and Ageha's relationship very incorrectly.
- The Stoic: Nothing much fazes her.
- Strong Family Resemblance: As teenagers, she and her mother appear to be one and the same person. The only difference being her mother actually uses facial expressions.
- Sugar-and-Ice Personality: She's a nice girl, just unusually calm and inexpressive.
- Supporting Protagonist: Sakura is often used in the narrative to introduce the Monster of the Week, but, apart from her brief stint as a Shinigami, isn’t given much to do except comment on the escalating situations, or assist Rinne in small ways. Accordingly, there are several chapters in which she doesn’t even appear.
- This Is Unforgivable!: When Kain steals Rinne's soul. Granted it only lasts so long, but one can tell she's ticked over her friend's life being taken.
- Unfazed Everyman: Sakura is very blase about everything around her...
- Unresolved Sexual Tension: With Rinne.
- What Is This Feeling?: She doesn't get why she got so upset when she misunderstood something Rinne said to Matsugo about her as him saying he only hangs out with her to get free food and money.
- You Are Worth Hell: Variation, she gives up special candies that were given to her from Tamako that stop her from seeing ghost because she hadn't seen Rinne for 3 days.
Voiced by: Hitomi NabatameRinne's young Black Cat by Contract. He once worked for Tamako, but was fired and went to the human world to fall back on Rinne. Despite his young age he's very smart, and is usually the one to explain the various shinigami tools and such to Sakura.
- Animal Eyes: He has eyes like a cat's.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: In order to tell the audience not to bash their heads on rocks for training.
- Cat Boy: In his default form, he resembles a small child wearing a cat costume.
- Deadpan Snarker: He shows shades of this every so often.
- Deliberately Cute Child: Rokumon sometimes uses his kitten form to get people to give him food.
- Expy: Shippo or Ten, though he's much nicer to Rinne than they are to Inuyasha and Ataru respectively.
- Mega Neko: Another of his forms. (His other being a small kitten.)
- Mouthy Kid: But not without good reason.
- Mr. Exposition: When he explains the purpose of various devices used by shinigami.
- Nice Guy: He's generally quite kind and respectful, especially to Rinne.
- Parrot Pet Position: He's usually seen riding on Rinne's shoulder.
- Shipper on Deck: For Rinne×Sakura.
- Snarky Non-Human Sidekick: He's probably the snarkiest character in the series and is a black cat.
- Toxic Friend Influence: Downplayed, he regularly tries to have Rinne listen to his greed when there's food or free money involved. But like Rinne it's only when people aren't in danger.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: He can't do much with it.
Voiced by: Satsuki YukinoRinne's paternal grandmother and a young looking Shinigami.
- Berserk Button: Never call her "grandma" or call her old.
- Beware the Nice Ones: She is nice most of the time. But some things set her off, and she really hates Sabato taking advantage of Rinne, stopping him if she gets the chance to.
- The Ditz: She makes some dumb mistakes from time to time like buying a young Sakura candy from the afterlife despite knowing that it would allow her to see ghosts.
- Doting Grandparent: She's quite kind and loving to Rinne.
- Eyes Always Shut: She always has her eyes closed and very rarely opens them.
- Flower in Her Hair: She wears a pink flower hair clip on the left side of her hair.
- Interspecies Romance: A shinigami who fell in love with a human man.
- Love at First Sight: She fell in love with Rinne's grandfather the moment she met him when she was supposed to retrieve his soul.
- Kick the Son of a Bitch: One chapter has her so fed up with Sabato's behavior that she kicks him into the ring of reincarnation which would mean death.
- Mayfly–December Romance: With Rinne's grandfather.
- Megaton Punch: She can do one that knocks out a dozen people in one strike.
- Obnoxious In-Laws: Averted, she honestly liked her daughter-in-law Otome more than her son and thought she was too good for him.
- Mystical White Hair: A Shinigami with the appearance of a pretty lady with white hair.
- Perpetual Smiler: She NEVER stops smiling even when pissed.
- Really 700 Years Old: She looks like a young lady, but as a Shinigami, she's likely to be more than hundreds years old. And she never likes being reminded of it.
- Running Gag: Anyone that calls her old will have their temples rubbed to the point of pain.
- Shinigami: She's a full-blooded Shinigami, a goddess of death charged with helping and guiding spirits from the world of the living to the Wheel of Reincarnation.
- Shipper on Deck: For Rinne×Sakura.
- Supernaturally Young Parent: She's Rinne's grandmother and Sabato's mother, but due to being a Shinigami, she looks like a pretty young lady.
Voiced by: Ryohei KimuraAn exorcist. Like Sakura, he can also see ghosts, but often brutally attacks them with "sacred ashes" instead of trying to put them to rest.
- Ambiguously Christian: Uses a lot of cross imagery and carries a Bible, but has never had his religion explicitly stated.
- Birds of a Feather: He fell for Sakura because they could both see the dead.
- Butt-Monkey: Bad things always happen to him and his crush Sakura keeps treating him as just a friend.
- Calling Your Attacks: He always calls out which tool he uses at the moment with his sacred ashes being his go-to method.
- Childhood Friend Romance: He met Sakura when they were children when they attended the same elementary school. Since Sakura could see spirits too he developed a crush on her.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: Though he does draw the line at actually hurting someone.
- Creepy Cool Crosses: A lot of his clothes have crosses on them.
- Dogged Nice Guy: To Sakura.
- The Drag-Along: Occasionally to Miho and Rika.
- Expy: He acts like a slightly nicer Ryoga from Ranma ½.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: It doesn't take much to make him start throwing his sacred ashes everywhere.
- Hopeless Suitor: He always tell Sakura of his feelings but she likes Rinne.
- Iron Butt Monkey: To list a few of the things that have happened to him: fallen out a two-story window, got his head chewed on by a lion at the zoo, has gotten run over by a team of sumo wrestlers, had bowling balls fall on his head, and has fallen into multiple kinds of holes. Those are only some of the things he's suffered, in two chapters alone — and he came out fine.
- I See Dead People: He can see ghosts since he was young.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: While he generally a jerk to Rinne and spirits, he can realize when he's wrong and tries to make up for it.
- Reused Character Design: Looks like Miroku from InuYasha.
- The Rival: To Rinne in both romance and exorcisms.
- When You Coming Home, Dad?: His parents are rarely home due to their job but he doesn't seem to mind.
- The Worf Barrage: His sacred ashes are supposedly effective against weaker spirits, but have never actually accomplished anything useful.
Voiced by: Rie MurakawaA Shinigami girl from a family of an elite shinigami known for taking down damashigami. Unlike Rinne, she is incredibly wealthy and throws her money away with little thought.
- Cain and Abel: Her sister betrayed the shinigami and became Sabato's secretary.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Acts this way towards Rinne, especially if Sakura is around.
- Cry Cute: After Rinne saves her despite her initial hostility towards him.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Initially she is prickly and impatient with Rinne, who she views as a rival. After Rinne agrees to help her find her missing sister, she begins to warm to him.
- Friendless Background: She mentions that Rinne is one of her first friends she's ever made. Probably due to a few reasons such as her privileged background, and like Rinne is a Shinigami.
- The Glomp: Does one to Rinne from behind after he saves her from a damashigami. Unfortunately Sakura happened to see it, and assumes the two must be dating.
- Hair Decorations: Her hair ribbon functions in similar fashion as Rinne's cloak. She can wear it one way to be Invisible to Normals, and she can wear it another way to become visible.
- The Heart: Ageha is the cause of most of the groups bonding moments, if accidentally.
- Hopeless Suitor: To Rinne.
- Love Epiphany: Has one after Rinne rescues her from a damashigami that overpowered her. Though in reality he did it because of the one million yen bounty the guy had on him.
- Mad Bomber: Not unlike Happosai, the slightest irritation has her throwing cutesy, skull-shaped bombs in retaliation.
- Ojou: She comes from a very rich shinigami family.
- Rescue Romance: Starts to fall in love with Rinne after he saves her from a damashigami.
- Reused Character Design: She's identical to Abi-Hime from Inuyasha.
- Rich in Dollars, Poor in Sense: What else can you call it when it's flagrantly obvious that damashigami—you know, her arch-enemies—are trying to swindle her out of money, yet she keeps paying up? It's like her brain shorts out the moment she's presented with any problem, no matter how ridiculous, to which "money" is the solution.
- Sailor Fuku: Her default outfit from her school which she is never seen going to.
- Shinigami: Unlike Rinne, she is a full blooded one. Also unlike Rinne, she has a vast fortune she can call on when she needs tools.
- Spoiled Brat: She wastes her money without thinking, which shocks the financially poor Rinne.
- Tsundere: Towards pretty much everyone who isn't Rinne.
- Upper-Class Twit: Not only does she have extremely loose spending habits, but she has consistently demonstrated an inability to properly follow simple instructions and regularly forgets to follow up on delayed responsibilities.
- Uptown Girl: A rich girl who has set her eyes on the extremely poor Rinne.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Real or a rubber toy, snakes scare her silly.
- Zettai Ryouiki: She wears white thigh high socks.
Voiced by: Yoshitsugu MatsuokaAgeha's Black Cat by Contract. They have a strained relationship because during their first mission together the two started to argue and Ageha buried Oboro under a boulder where he remained trapped for a year before being able to dig his way out.
- Animal Eyes: He has slit pupils like a cat's.
- Blood Knight: He loves a good fight.
- Cat Boy: He looks like a human boy with cat ears, tail and feet.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: While he's pretty jerkish to Ageha, he's kind to pretty much everyone else.
- Spoiled Sweet: He's actually quiet rich due to his contract with Ageha but he doesn't lord it over anyone and doesn't really see it as a big deal.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: He and Ageha don't always get along, and seem to outright hate each other sometimes. After his introduction arc, they are more like Vitriolic Best Buds.
- Wolverine Claws: He has retractable large claws that he can use in battle.
Voiced by: Soma SaitoA Shirushigami, a clerk in the afterlife. He steals Rinne's lifeflame because his father Sabato keeps on scamming Kain's mother out of her money causing mother and son to live a life in poverty.
- Chick Magnet: He was very popular with the girls in middle school, to Renge's dismay.
- Everyone Has Standards: While he's rude to Rinne, he refuses to harm humans.
- Even Bad Men Love Their Mamas: While he is usually a jerk, he clearly loves his mother and he is infuriating with Sabato —and by extention, his family — for constantly conned her.
- Expy: He's basically the comical version of Sesshoumaru from Inuyasha. His black cat even resembles Rin.
- Freudian Excuse: While he's a jerk, he has very valid reasons for hating Sabato.
- Horrible Judge of Character: He has a connection with Renge, who he mistakenly believes is an upright, stalwart young lady, though in reality she works directly for his hated Damashigami Company. Kind of justified since he got to know her before she turned into one.
- Inspector Javert: Frequently to Rinne.
- Jerkass: He's pretty mean to Rinne, always thinking Rinne is working with his father.
- Oblivious to Love: He has no idea that Renge is in love with him despite her obvious signs.
- Perpetual Poverty: He has it just as bad as Rinne, due to Rinne's dad taking all his money and his mom being pretty careless with what's left.
- Student Council President: He was head of the student council in middle school.
- The Stoic: He rarely displays emotions unless it's about money or Rinne and his family.
- What the Hell, Hero?: He was called out by Sabato!
- White Hair, Black Heart: He has white hair and while not evil, he's not a nice person either and is very antagonistic towards Rinne.
Voiced by: Suzuko MimoriKain's Black Cat by Contract.
- Animal Eyes: She has slit pupils like a cat's.
- Animorphism: She can transform into kitten form.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: She has no focus at all.
- Cat Girl: She looks like a cute little girl with cat ears and tail.
- Cute Little Fangs: She naturally has these as a cute Cat Girl.
- Elegant Gothic Lolita: She usually wears a dark, frilly gothic lolita dress.
- Expy: A more cheerful version of Rin from Inuyasha.
- Genki Girl: She has never been seen sad.
- Obsessed with Food: Which is sad when mixed with a very poor Kain.
- Supernatural Gold Eyes: A Cat Girl with yellow eyes.
- Zettai Ryouiki: She wears black thigh high socks.
Miho Aogiri and Rika Momoi
- Catch-Phrase: "So scary!"
- Fear Is the Appropriate Response: At least Once an Episode, they'll turn tail with their hands in the air the moment anything supernatural shows up.
- Those Two Girls: One is almost never seen without the other.
- Two Girls and a Guy: An occasional pairing with Tsubasa, but mainly so they can get him to pay for stuff they want (and he's none too happy about the arrangement, either).
Voiced by: Taishi MurataRinne's old classmate from Shinigami Elementary.
- Ambiguously Gay: Tsubasa outright asks him if he likes Rinne that way, and Matsugo denies it. But then he gives Rinne the same stalker-ish choker with what is basically a spycam that Ageha was trying to give him...
- Because You Were Nice to Me: Rinne once saved him from a bully and from major embarrassment. Because of this, Matsugo is fiercely devoted to him to the point everyone calls him a girl in love, though he calls it mere "friendship".
- Childhood Friends: He and Rinne went to elementary school together. Matsugo claims they are best friends, but Rinne doesn't think of their relationship as highly as he does.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: When Rinne and Sakura try to pretend to be dating in an attempt to keep Matsugo away from Rinne, Matsugo does anything possible to separate Rinne from Sakura and have Rinne all for himself, because he thinks his "friendship" is more powerful than love.
- Easily Forgiven: From total antipathy to total infatuation with Rinne in a matter of moments.
- Insistent Terminology: His affection toward Rinne: it's just friendship, not love.
- Single-Target Sexuality: To Rinne.
Right and Left Mikazuki
- Bungling Inventor: Left's creations are always both extremely impressive and completely useless.
- Genki Girl: Right is very cheerful.
- Little Bit Beastly: They have rabbit ears and tails.
- Polar Opposite Twins: Right is a cheerful and friendly Genki Girl. Left is completely incapable of talking to someone without insulting them.
- Snake Oil Salesman: Particularly to Rinne, who's so poor, he'll take any product so long as they're giving him a good deal.
Hitomi Annette Anematsuri
- Voiced by: Miyuki Sawashiro
- Adaptation Dye-Job: Her black hair in the manga is changed to a deep purple in the anime. Though it's likely a case of Hair Color Dissonance.
- But Not Too Foreign: She's part French.
- Crystal Ball: Which has caught the eyes of Shinigami and Damashigami alike.
- Expy: The somewhat inept, childish, supernatural, English-teaching instructor of the main characters? She ain't Hinako Ninomiya, but she's pretty close.
- Fortune Teller: Of course!
- I See Dead People: Explained by her being part-witch.
- Sensei-chan: She's young, clumsy, childish and likes to be popular with her students.
- Witch Species: Her family is descendant of European witches, thus giving her a small grasp of supernatural powers.
Ichigo / Otome Rokudou
Voiced by: Megumi HayashibaraA 5th grader with the ability to see ghosts doubling as the formerly-amnesiac reincarnation of Rinne's mother, Otome.
- Fourth Date Marriage: She and Sabato got engaged on the day they met and they had the wedding about a week after that.
- Good Parents: Unlike Sabato, Otome did love Rinne a lot and regrets not having been able to raise him. Despite of now being a child, Otome/Ichigo vows to try and be there for Rinne in every way she can.
- Happily Married: To everyone's disconcert, Otome was genuinely happy with Sabato despite the no-good he is.
- Ironic Name: Otome's name means and is written with the kanji for "maiden", but she's only two years younger than Tamako.
- I See Dead People: As Ichigo, she's able to see ghosts probably because she was a shinigami in a previous life.
- Living Legend: In her life as Otome, she was a famous Shinigami genius, having earned a Platinum license for having purified more than 10000 spirits, and a nickname "the Legendary Shinigami Maiden".
- May–December Romance:
- With Sabato in her previous life. She was only a couple of years younger than his Really 700 Years Old mother, though he had no idea since Otome was hiding her real age.
- Thankfully averted in her current life. Both Ichigo and Sabato know how creepy it would be for a grown man to get together with a elementary school student.
- Missing Mom: She went missing when Rinne was a baby. Everyone assumed she abandoned the family, but she was actually dragged by a herd of water buffalo to the Wheel of Reincarnation. When she reunites with her son, Otome has reincarnated as a little human girl.
- Odango Hair: As Ichigo, she keeps her hair in double buns.
- Past-Life Memories: Regains them after being hit on the head with her old scythe.
- Really 700 Years Old: In her previous life, she was two years younger than Tamako, who is a Shinigami probably hundreds years old.
- Reincarnation: A herd of water buffalo dragged Otome to the Wheel of Reincarnation by accident. She was initially reincarnated as a killifish, then a canary, then an ant-eater before finally being reborn as a human girl called Ichigo.
- Reincarnation Romance: Averted. Ichigo and Sabato do still have some sort of affection for each other but neither want to pursue a relationship because of the Squick factor of Ichigo's age.
- Shinigami: In her previous life, Otome was a full-blooded and famous one. Ichigo still has Otome's scythe and can see ghosts, but she's otherwise a normal human.
- Supernaturally Young Parent:
- In her former life as Otome she looked very young despite nearly being as old as Tamako.
- Because she was forcibly reincarnated years ago, Rinne's mother is now an elementary school girl.
- Tsundere: From what is shown of their past relationship, Otome would often smack her husband around for being a "good-for-nothing" while still loving him.
- Walking Spoiler: Knowing too much of Otome and her reincarnation as Ichigo gives away the mystery of Rinne's mother and her fate.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: She had purple hair in her life as Otome.
Voiced by: Kappei YamaguchiRinne's father and the president of the Damashigami Company, an illegal business committed to stealing the souls of people who have not ended their lifespan.
- Abusive Dad: Sabato financially abuses Rinne to the point where it just isn't funny anymore.
- Affably Evil: He at least spends a lot of the money he steals from Rinne towards his employees. Or at least the female ones.
- Antagonistic Offspring: He and his mother Tamako don't see eye-to-eye. In fact, she has actually tried to kill him.
- Archnemesis Dad: Rinne would happily strangle him if he had the chance.
- Big Bad: The closest thing this series has to one. The majority of the cast's problem come from him. Rinne and Kain's poverty, Sakura's ability to see ghosts, Ageha's family's reputation taking a hit and Renge being a Damashigami.
- Bishōnen: Uses his good looks to woo women and swindle large amounts of money from them, courtesy of stealing from Rinne.
- The Casanova: He's a renowned womanizer.
- Chick Magnet: He has tournaments filled with women who want to marry him.
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: He runs an illegal company where renegade Shinigami steal the souls of people who are not yet ready to die in order to pad their quotas and increase the amount of money they can earn.
- Curtains Match the Window: Both his hair and eyes are red.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: He genuinely loves his wife Otome, and had gone to the trouble of sending spy cameras everywhere to track her down in every incarnation until she was reborn as Ichigo. He also seemed to be truly distraught about the thought that Otome chose to reincarnate instead of being with him, and probably the only time he shed genuine tears.
- Evil Is Hammy: Tends to speak in this way a lot of times, especially towards Rinne.
- Evil Is Petty: He repeatedly steals small Rinne's pocket money during his childhood. He even steals from his own employees and company several times.
- Evil Redhead: He really has no redeeming qualities, as seen when he repeatedly steals Rinne's money.
- Expy: A more devious and malicious version of Genma Saotome.
- Fourth Date Marriage: He proposed to Otome on the day he met her and they had the wedding a little more than a week later.
- Gold Digger: He promised Kain's mother to marry her only to get money from her. Because of him, Kain is poor.
- Half-Human Hybrid: He's half-human, half-Shinigami.
- Handsome Lech: He has tons of women fighting over him, although it's obvious that the only good thing about him are his good looks.
- Happily Married: He really did love Otome and remembers their marriage fondly even now. That didn't stop him from stealing and pawning her Shinigami Scythe.
- Human Dad, Non-Human Mom: His mother Tamako is a shinigami who fell in love with his father, a human.
- It's All About Me: He's been stealing from his son since childhood.
- Jerkass: Has no qualms about stealing pitiful amounts of money from Rinne, and will even steal from his own company and employees if the situation arrives.
- Jerk with a Heart of Jerk: He once goes through a lot of trouble to get back a photograph featuring himself holding a young Rinne, even returning the money he borrowed from Sakura to get it back. It turns out that he hid a larger amount of cash in the frame.
- Ladykiller in Love: Out of all the women he has seduced, Otome appears to be the only one he genuinely loves.
- Lazy Bum: He loathes working legitimately, but does quite a bit if it involves stealing someone else's money.
- Love at First Sight: He fell in love with Otome the moment he met her and proposed to her on the same day.
- May–December Romance:
- Mean Boss: He's hasn't paid any of his employees and his first thought when they formed a union is to bomb them.
- Mum Looks Like a Sister: A male example. He looks more like Rinne's older brother than like his father.
- Older Than He Looks: Is Rinne's father, but could easily be mistaken for his older brother instead.
- Parental Neglect: Sabato was too busy in his shady business scams and womanizing to spend any time with Rinne while growing up. Rinne was pretty much raised by his grandparents. And considering how awful Sabato is, it was for the best.
- Shipper with an Agenda: He wants Rinne to marry Sakura and take over the Damashigami Company so that he can retire one day.
- Strong Family Resemblance: He looks nearly identical to his father when he was young.
Voiced by: Izumi KittaAgeha's elder sister, and former Shinigami-turned-girlfriend/secretary to Sabato.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: With Sabato.
- Good Girl Gone Bad: After falling for Sabato.
- Foolish Sibling, Responsible Sibling: Zig-zagged with Ageha, who's pretty careless when it comes to her normal duties as a Shinigami, but, at the very least, didn't fall for the leader of the Damashigami.
- Hypercompetent Sidekick: She seems to be a little more sensible than Sabato, but that's not exactly saying much.
- Meaningful Name: "Bijin", or 美人, means, "pretty person".
- No Name Given: She was essentially just "Ageha's sister" or "Sabato's secretary" up until her name was finally revealed after three seasons and over two-hundred-and-fifty chapters.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: Apparently learning disguising techniques from Sailor V, she dons a single, flimsy party mask, and it's enough to fool Ageha.
Voiced by: Tetsuya KakiharaA wealthy devil that seeks revenge against Rinne.
- Bat Out of Hell: He definitely has a certain motif about him, being a demonic Winged Humanoid who's casual clothes and Facial Markings are even patterned to look like bats.
- The Ditz: He's so susceptible to Stupid Evil, it's almost funny. He's even introduced taking an unfortunate soul away, but only after misspelling the word "curse" on his forehead.
- Evil Is Petty: He'll use any chance to kill Rinne, even attacking him when he is sick.
- Facial Markings: He has bat markings on his cheeks.
- Jerkass: He's a devil, what do you expect?
- Pointy Ears: A devil with pointy ears.
- Reused Character Design: He looks a lot like Pantythose Taro from Ranma ½.
- Revenge: He seeks revenge against Rinne because he caused him to fail his homework assignment of retrieving a soul and bring it to Hell back during demon elementary school.
- Winged Humanoid: He has bat wings on his back.
Voiced by: Shizuka IshigamiA New Transfer Student at Rinne's school who turns out to be a Damashigami.
- Anti-Villain: She used to be a Shinigami, but her reputation was ruined by Sabato. Renge had no choice but to work as a Damashigami to pay the bills.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: In her introduction, she pretends to be an innocent girl who feels guilty over couples breaking up over her. She's actually a Damashigami who purposely seduces her male schoolmates with a magic charm to lure them to the afterlife.
- Butt-Monkey: Renge just appears to have really bad luck.
- Cannot Spit It Out: She refuses to tell Kain her feelings.
- Dude Magnet: She says that at every school she attends, all the guys fall for her. This is actually caused by a magic pheromone perfume that hypnotizes males.
- Expy: An Anti-Villain minion reluctantly working for a terrible boss, who has a crush on a white-haired stoic enemy? Kagura says "Hello."
- Flower in Her Hair: She has two flowers on both sides of her head. She uses them to hide her horns.
- Go-Getter Girl: She always got the top grades, was elected Class Representative every year and was vice president of the student council in middle school. She wanted to go to an elite high school, but she lost her chance because of Sabato. Renge herself says she aims for the top in whatever she does.
- Hopeless Suitor: She's in love with Kain, but he's completely in the dark.
- Horned Humanoid: Unlike a lot of Shinigami, she has two horns on her head.
- Jerk with a Heart of Jerk: She gives charms to repel ghosts to the students to "atone for what she has done". She later reveals she was just stealing Rinne's customers and when the charms' effect wears off she tries to take advantage of the situation to take the lives of the students.
- New Transfer Student: She got introduced as a transfer student to Sankai High.
- Perpetual Poverty: Just as bad Rinne, so much that they're actually neighbors.
- Punch-Clock Villain: Unlike most Damashigami who are simply amoral or lazy, Renge does the job because she really needs the money. She's still not a nice person, but she treats being a Damashigami as a job.
- Sempai/Kohai: Kain was her sempai in middle school.
- Sitcom Arch-Nemesis: She hates Ageha's guts because she was a frequent victim of Ageha's carelessness in her childhood. Renge and Ageha make fun of each other and often fight whenever they meet.
- Surrounded by Idiots: Among the otherwise half-witted Damashigami.
- Weird Trade Union: She's the leader of a mostly ineffectual Damashigami union.