open/close all folders
Rinne Rokudo (六道りんね)
The main protagonist of the story, Rinne is a dirt-poor teenager of mixed human and Shinigami heritage. He lived with his human grandfather until he passed away, and now takes up residence in Sankai High's abandonded club building. He makes most of his livings off of the weather hutch offerings made by his classmates. He never seems to catch a break in the monetary department, mostly because of Jerkass
father stealing from his accounts and sending him bills.
- Abusive Parents: Sabato financially abuses Rinne to the point where it just isn't funny anymore.
- Anime Hair
- Calling Your Attacks
- Cannot Spit It Out: He has feelings for Sakura, he can admit it to himself but not to anyone else.
- Clothes Make the Superman: Physically, Rinne is a normal human with an outlandish hair color... Until he slips into the Haori of the Underworld and takes on the qualities that a normal shinigami or ghost would have.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: A mild example.
- Curtains Match the Window
- Custom Uniform: His middle school track uniform. Granted, he'd probably change it if he could. (He seemed eager enough to get a regular uniform in an early chapter.)
- Disguised in Drag: Rinne decides to dress in a maid uniform to try and capture a damashigami who is kidnapping school girls. It works. He actually has to unmask himself as male to his opponent when he defeats him. He then takes advantage of his situation to win the school's Mr. Lady competition. While Sakura and her female friends agree he looks cute, Tsubasa is at a loss for words.
- Everyone Can See It: It's really, really obvious that Rinne has a crush on Sakura. Tsubasa's called him out on this before.
- Failure Is the Only Option: There's only a handful of chapters where Rinne isn't jipped or ripped off in the end; and even then the reward's usually nothing monetary. (A hand-made scarf, a kotatsu, etc.)
- Full-Name Basis: He doesn't know how to address anyone otherwise.
- Half-Human Hybrid: His grandmother is a shinigami and his grandfather was human. Since nothing's been mentioned of his mother, it's impossible to say exactly what he is.
- Hilariously Abusive Childhood: At the hands of Sabato.
- Invisible to Normals: With his haori on.
- Limited Wardrobe: Very limited.
- Missing Mom
- Perpetual Poverty
- Raised by Grandparents
- Red-Headed Hero
- She Is Not My Girlfriend: To Sakura.
- Sins of Our Fathers: His Jerkass father is to blame for most of his problems.
- The Stoic
- Not So Stoic: Whenever large amount of money are involved (Hell, money in general), Rinne loses his cool exterior.
- Strong Family Resemblance: He's a sixteen-year-old version of Sabato. We'd imagine he's not very happy about it.
- Sugar and Ice Personality
- Tears of Blood: Rinne suffers through these whenever he has to spend a lot of money on something.
- Troubled, but Cute: Oh, god.
- Unresolved Sexual Tension: With Sakura.
- Weaksauce Weakness: Apparently, Rinne's got a severe case of motion sickness.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: Two words: maid outfit.
- Work Off the Debt
Sakura Mamiya (真宮桜)
An Ordinary High-School Student
who was spirited away as a child. Thanks to Rinne's grandmother Tamako buying her candy from the afterlife, Sakura has the ability to see and talk to ghosts. She first thought Rinne was a ghost when he appeared in homeroom, but later found out he was 'human' when she headbutted him on the streets.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Sakura rarely gets angry, jealous, or upset. When you mess with Rinne's life, however, she takes control.
- Cherry Blossom Girl
- Clingy Jealous Girl: A very mild example. When she sees Rinne with other girls like Ageha she just tries to ignore and avoid him instead of getting all clingy and violent.
- Crash-Into Hello: Her method of figuring out whether Rinne was a ghost or not was deliberately ramming her head into his chest.
- Curtains Match The Windows: In some art, both her hair and eyes are brown.
- Deuteragonist: As the story goes on, Rinne steals her spot as protagonist.
- Everyone Can See It: Tsubasa perceives her feelings for Rinne since pretty early on.
- Expy: Kagome with two of Ranma's pigtails.
- Girlish Pigtails
- He Is Not My Boyfriend: To Rinne.
- I Just Want to Be Normal
- Innocently Insensitive
- I See Dead People: Thanks to otherwordly candy.
- Kaleidoscope Eyes: Takahashi seems to like switching her eye color from brown, to blue, to green, and back again.
- Magic Skirt
- Master of the Mixed Message
- Nice Girl
- Oblivious to Love
- Ordinary High-School Student
- Selective Obliviousness
- Supporting Protagonist
- This Is Unforgivable!: When Kain steals Rinne's soul. Granted it only lasts so long, but one can tell she's ticked over her friend's life being taken.
- Unfazed Everyman: Sakura is very blase about everything around her...
- Unresolved Sexual Tension: With Rinne.
Rinne's young Black Cat by Contract. He once worked for Tamako, but was fired and went to the human world to fall back on Rinne. Despite his young age he's very smart, and is usually the one to explain the various shinigami tools and such to Sakura.
Rinne's paternal grandmother and a young looking Shinigami.
An exorcist. Like Sakura, he can also see ghosts, but often brutally attacks them with "sacred ashes" instead of trying to put them to rest.
A Shinigami girl from a family of an elite shinigami known for taking down damashigami. Unlike Rinne, she is incredibly wealthy and throws her money away with little thought.
Ageha's Black Cat by Contract. They have a strained relationship because during their first mission together the two started to argue and Ageha buried Oboro under a boulder where he remained trapped for a year before being able to dig his way out.
A Shirushigami, a clerk in the afterlife. He steals Rinne's lifeflame because his father Sabato used Kain's mother, consantly borrowed money for her, and stuck her with little money to provide for herself and her son.
Kain's Black Cat by Contract.
Rinne's old classmate from Shinigami Elementary.
- Ambiguously Gay: Tsubasa outright asks him, and Matsugo denies it. But then he gives Rinne the same stalker-ish choker with what is basically a spycam that Ageha was trying to give him...
- Because You Were Nice to Me: Rinne once saved him from a bully and from major embarrassment. Because of this, Matsugo is fiercely devoted to him to the point everyone calls him a girl in love, though he calls it mere "friendship".
- Childhood Friends: He and Rinne went to elementary school together. Matsugo claims they are best friends, but Rinne doesn't think of their relationship as highly as he does.
Rinne's father and the president of the Damashigami Company, an illegal business committed to stealing the souls of people who have not ended their lifespan.
A wealthy devil that seek revenge against Rinne.
A New Transfer Student
at Rinne's school, but she is also a Damashigami.
- Anti-Villain: She was once a Shinigami whose reputation was ruined by Sabato. Renge had no choice but to work as a Damashigami to pay the bills.
- Flower in Her Hair
- Hime Cut
- Horned Humanoid
- Jerk with a Heart of Jerk: She gives charms to repel ghosts to the students to "atone for what she has done". She later reveals she was just stealing Rinne's customers and when the charms' effect wears off she tries to take advantage of the situation to take the lives of the students.
- New Transfer Student