- Type 1: Someone is resigned/willing to accept (or at least start accepting) a negative situation: that they're a failure, that they're acting in an evil manner, that their actions will cause problems, etc.
- Type 2: A person gets an unexpected break or finds out that things aren't as bad as they thought.
"You've rescued your wife, but the bus full of nuns drove into the swamp and exploded, and she had a heart attack! You are doomed to be single forever!"Type 1 also overlaps with I Did What I Had to Do—the difference being that Type 1 of this trope more overtly expresses regret at what he felt he had to do, while the latter might shrug off any regrets. Type 2 is the "positive" version, where some unlikely or contrived bit of fortune lands in your lap.
"…I can live with that."
"…I can live with that."
"What the… the Big Bad's getaway jet just ingested a flock of flying monkeys and crashed in flames before we could shoot him down."Compare Shrug Take and At Least I Admit It.
"I can live with that."
"I can live with that."
Type 1 Examples:Anime & Manga
- Puella Magi Madoka Magica the Movie: Rebellion: Upon recreating the universe, Homura realizes that her obsession with protecting Madoka has crippled her own emotional health and ended their friendship, because she has knowingly and irreparably broken Madoka's trust in her. However, she doesn't regret her actions, as she has finally saved Madoka—from both the Incubators and herself—and nothing can matter more than that. The last scene depicts Homura dancing in a field, alone and victorious.
- In Fate/Zero, Kiritsugu isn't too bothered by the fact that he might be evil. As long as it saves lives in the end, he declares himself willing to be the bearer of all the evil in the world if necessary.
- Die Hard
FBI Special Agent Johnson: Figure we take out the terrorists. Lose 20, 25 percent of the hostages, tops.FBI Agent Johnson: I can live with that.
- The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
Steve Zissou: I wanted to give you a heads-up on what I thought of the piece...Jane Winslett-Richardson: You read it. What did you think?Steve: Well, I was a little upset at first. I mean, obviously people are going to think I'm a showboat, and a little bit of a prick. But then I thought... that's me. I said those things, I did those things. I can live with that.
- The Replacements
Eddie Martel: I'm still an All-Pro quarterback with two Super Bowl rings. You'll never be anything more than a replacement player.Shane Falco: Yeah. Yeah, I can live with that.
- Star Trek: Deep Space Nine episode "In the Pale Moonlight"
Sisko: So… I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover up the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But most damning of all… I think I can live with it… And if I had to do it all over again… I would. Garak was right about one thing—a guilty conscience is a small price to pay for the safety of the Alpha Quadrant. So I will learn to live with it… Because I can live with it… I can live with it.
- ''Dexter episode "The British Invasion"
Debra Morgan: You're a little weird, Dex.
Dexter Morgan: That's not gonna change. I'm gonna be this way forever.
Debra: I can live with that.
House: If we were all satisfied with what we had, what a beautiful world it would be. We'd all slowly starve to death in our own filth, but at least we'd be happy. Listen, I need your self worth to hang on this job. For kicking ass to be all that lets you rise above miserable. If waking up in the morning is enough, I don't need you.Foreman: I can live with that.
Taub: We have a tiny window of opportunity to gain some insight into our colleagues... Okay, what if we just snooped on our boss?Foreman: I think I can live with that.
- Bones episode "The Witch in the Wardrobe"
Dr. Jack Hodgins: Okay, fine. No more compliments. You don't look good today. Your smile is average at best. And it is *not* cool that we finally get to work together again in the field.Angela Montenegro: ...Okay fine, I can live with that.
- One Tree Hill episode "The Desperate Kingdom of Love"
Haley James: Um... I was just alphabetising our CDs.Nathan Scott: So what?Haley: So, 'Natalie Merchant' after 'NOZ' and 'Wilco' before the 'Wu-Tang Clan'?Nathan: So you listen to crummy music. I can live with that.
- NCIS episode "Enigma"
Gibbs: [as they're going after Gibbs' CO] You take a shot at him, you answer to me!FBI Agent Fornell: I can live with that.
- Heroes episode "Chapter Two: Lizards"
Takezo Kensei: You can make me the hero she sees in me.
Hiro Nakamura: As long as you stop drinking.
Takezo: No promises.
Hiro: [in Japanese, to himself] I can live with that.
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode "The Initiative"
Buffy Summers: Uh, last night... At the party, you wanted to tell me something?Riley Finn: Oh, yeah. Very important stuff. I don't remember any of it now. But you would have been fascinated, possibly even moved. Did Willow tell you I like cheese?Buffy: You're a little peculiar.Riley: [smiles] I can live with that.
Angel: Okay, so we're both rude. You know what? I can live with that.
- "Blood Money"
Angel: I thought you might want to know. I took care of our cop problem.Detective Lockley: Crime reports from that precinct. Up until three months ago, there was a murder every two weeks, a rape every two days, a robbery every hour and a half. That's what we just gave back to the people in that community.Angel: I can live with that.
- "The Thin Dead Line"
- Malcolm in the Middle episode "Watching the Baby"
Malcolm: Her boyfriend is Aaron Seponevic. Have you ever seen that guy? If he sees you making out with his girlfriend, he's gonna kill you! [snip]Reese: From now on, when I walk by, people are gonna say, "What happened to that guy's face?". And someone'll say, "That's Reese. He made out with Aaron Seponevic's girlfriend." And I can live with that.
- The West Wing episode "The Lame Duck Congress"
Leo McGarry: Any downside?
C.J. Cregg: I'll feel stupid.
Leo: I can live with that.
- Doc Martin episode "In Loco"
Pauline Lamb: Don't forget you've got the school thing today. If Louisa Glasson gets it, there's a bit of a party later at the Crab.
Dr. Martin Ellingham: What happens if she doesn't?
Pauline: No one in Portwenn will talk to you.
Martin: I can live with that.
- Third Watch episode "Alone Again, Naturally"
Davis: Don't tell me about corruption. We're trying to make things right, and if getting the really bad people off the street means I gotta fudge the truth a little bit every once in a while, I can live with that.
- Marshal Law when he's describing himself:
A lot of people say I'm a uniformed thug, no better than the scum I hunt down… a fascist cop… a glorified Nazi… a legalized vigilante, handing out his own highly suspect street "justice"… someone with a pathological hatred of superheroes, reveling at the chance to beat the hell out of them. That sounds fair. I can live with that.
- In Dragon Age II, this is Snarky!Hawke's response to Meredith if they choose to side with the mages in "The Last Straw".
- Mighty Max episode "Norman's Conquest"
Spike: [while Norman dangles him over a cliff] You can't kill me! If you do, you'll be no better than me!Norman: [drops him] I can live with that.
- SpongeBob SquarePants episode “Chocolate with Nuts”
SpongeBob: Don't get me wrong, Patrick. It's great that we helped that guy out but there's no one else in town to sell chocolate bars to. Let's face it Patrick, we're failures.Patrick: I can live with that.
- In the Fanboy and Chum Chum episode "The Janitor Strikes Back", after the two manage to get permission to chew gum in school from the janitor.
Janitor Poopatine: Alright, alright! You can have your gum! And chew it, too.Fanboy & Chum Chum: YAY!!!Janitor Poopatine: But no taffy!Fanboy: Ah, we can live with that.
- It doesnt actually happen, but in an early episode of South Park, "Tom's Rhinoplasty", Mr Garrison decides to undergo a cosmetic nose surgery (the nose job he picks will make him look like a young David Hasselhoff). The surgeon warns him about the risks of the operation first.
Tom: You could end up a hideous, foul shadow of a creature, living in the sewers and only emerging at night to scavenge for food.Garrison: *beat* I can live with that.
- In Homestuck, this is practically Aradia's catchphrase. Even when faced with the inevitable destruction of their universe.
AA: i'm 0kay with thatAA: i'm 0kay with a l0t 0f things
Type 2 Examples:Film
- Cube. Upon reaching the exit:
Worth: I have nothing... to live for out there.Leaven: What is out there?Worth: Boundless human stupidity.Leaven: I can live with that.
- Charmed episode "Something Wicca This Way Goes". The sisters change into magical disguises so everyone will think they're dead.
New Piper: Cute. I can live with that.
- Star Trek: Deep Space Nine episode "Business as Usual"
Quark: I just wanted them to cross paths, so that the deal would fall through.Sisko: It fell through, all right. Hagath and Gaila barely managed to get off the station alive. [snip] I wouldn't count on seeing your former business partners again.Quark: I can live with that.
- Wings episode "Roy Crazy"
Roy Biggins: So what you're saying is, she's not interested in me, that I don't mean anything to her. She just wants to get me into bed & use me like some cheap piece of meat?Brian Hackett: Exactly.Roy: I can live with that!
- Scott Pilgrim
[Stephen begging Hollie's gay roommate Joseph to make an album for Sex Bob-omb in volume 4.]Stephen: Joseph!!! Can you record our album? Sex Bob-omb needs to record an album! We need to take it to the next level! You saw us play in volume 3, right? We aren't all that sucky, right???Joseph: ...Okay, I'll do it. But only because I find you attractive.Stephen: I can live with that!!!
- Kick Buttowski has this exchange after Kick tells the class about his Indiana Jones-esque quest for the Holy Grail of skateboards.
Teacher: Your report was obviously fabricated, Mr. Buttowski. But you entertained us all. So you pass. Barely.Kick: I can live with that.
- In The Order of the Stick, when Miko dies, and is guided to the afterlife. She is told she won't be restored to Paladin status, but at least her only friend in the world will be able to visit her.