Sgt. James Heller
"My name is Sgt. James Heller, and I will destroy Alex Mercer."
who lost his family to the infection
while he was away on duty. He returns to Manhattan, runs a series of suicide missions in the Red Zone
, and is eventually mortally wounded. Mercer is impressed by his skill, however, and infects Heller with his unique strain of Blacklight.
Now a newly super powered Heller vows to kill Mercer.
Father Luis Guerra
A priest who runs the church in the Yellow Zone that Heller and his family once attended. He tried to meddle with Blackwatch's experiments, but failed and barricaded himself in his church. Heller snaps him out of his Despair Event Horizon
and Guerra provides him with intel on Blackwatch supplied by a contact called Athena. Alex Mercer and a horde of Infected kill him after Heller becomes a threat to his plans.
- Badass Preacher: He's as compassionate as any priest should be, which does not mean he's averse to keeping an iron pipe close at hand should someone threaten his flock.
- Dark and Troubled Past: The guy knows a lot more than he should oughta about guerrilla warfare. Apparently, he's had a lot of tattoos removed.
- Meaningful Name: "Guerra" is Spanish for "war".
- Mentor Occupational Hazard: He's killed by Mercer.
- Revenge by Proxy: Killed by Alex Mercer and his Infected as revenge for Heller interfering with his plans for Whitelight.
"Athena" A.K.A. Dana MercerTropes listed on the character sheet from the first game.
Alex MercerTropes listed on the character sheet from the first game.
Dr. Anton Koenig
The lead virologist of Gentek, he's also in charge of its major projects in New York. Because Heller was infected directly by Alex Mercer, Koenig has taken a particular interest in him. He is one of Mercer's spies, having been infected with the same strand of Blacklight that gave him and Heller their powers, and was in charge of developing Whitelight- an upgraded version of Blacklight.
The Chief Financial Officer of Gentek, Galloway is in charge of Gentek's financial affairs. She is also one of Alex Mercer's spies, having been infected with the same strand of Blacklight that gave him and Heller their powers.
Colonel Douglas Rooks
The commander of Blackwatch operations in NYZ.
- Dirty Business: He's not a very good person, at one point sanctioning rape since to do otherwise would waste man-power and supplies. However, the game leaves him a somewhat sympathetic figure and surprisingly the Lesser of Two Evils, without denouncing his underlying mission of sterilization and control.
- Pet the Dog: Cares deeply for his own family.
- Lets Heller take his daughter and leave, though more likely because he recognized Heller is impossible to defeat, rather than because he was being nice.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones:
- Not So Different: He seems to realize this when he discovers Heller's daughter is still alive, realizing how he could use that against Heller and to his own advantage.
- Pragmatic Villainy:
- Avoids shooting Heller when alone with the man himself, well aware that such an act would lead to a quick death and Heller, at the moment, has no real interest in killing him.
- Kills his own men so Heller can escape NYZ with his daughter, because trying to fight him directly had thus far proven too costly and ineffective.
Lieutenant Clint Riley