Clap your hands if you believe.
Clapping is pretty loud, but it pales in comparison to the Shockwave Clap. Sometimes it's just a really loud clap and sometimes it has the power to knock people over or cause physical damage. It can
have more intuitive uses from time to time, such as blowing out fires.
This is commonly used by characters with Super Strength
, since it lets them demonstrate their power without directly attacking someone (which could have messy results). Usually appears in the form of a powerful, high-pressure wave of air
The "realistic" varieties of Sword Beam
create a similar effect, but concentrated into a sharp edge
. However, these are usually associated with skill rather than strength.
See also Kung-Fu Sonic Boom
, Make Me Wanna Shout
, Shockwave Stomp
. Not to be confused with Clap Your Hands If You Believe
open/close all folders
Anime and Manga
- One Piece: how Emporio Ivankov's "Eye Beams" actually work, just replace hands with eyelashes.
- Newgate, as per his Devil Fruit powers, can do Shockwave Punches.
- X-Men: The Last Stand: a villain called Arclight (see above) has this ability. And that's all she does, but apparently she can control it well enough to make sure the shockwave only breaks certain materials.
- Also used in The Incredible Hulk movie by the titular character to douse a fire.
- In Sir Thursday, Dame Primus does this with the Second Key, which takes the form of a pair of gloves.
- Captain Excelsior: The Thunderclap.
- An earth power in Phaeton.
- Behemoth of Worm can do this, among his many, many, powers.
- The Alpheidae, or pistol shrimp, can create bubbles with its claws which implode within a millisecond. The bubble heats the surrounding water to a temperature of nearly 4700°C (nearly as hot as the surface of the sun) when it collapses, producing a shockwave that can kill small fish at short range. At a measured loudness of 218 decibels at 1 meter, the gun also makes the pistol shrimp one of the loudest creatures in the ocean.