Characters: Naruto - Hidden Sound Village
aka: Naruto-Hidden Sound Village
Here be spoilers. Any thing that has not been aired on the free versionnote of Crunchyroll should be spoiler-tagged.Back to the main character index
As a young child, Kabuto was orphaned in the Great Ninja War. Konoha's Head of Medical Corps took pity on him, taking him in and teaching him medicine. This is revealed to be a cover given to him by Orochimaru. He was actually taken in by an orphanage run by Nonou Yakushi, a former Root member who he considered his mother. He joined Root to supply the orphanage with money, but was eventually attacked by and forced to kill Nonou, who Danzo had tricked intending for them to kill each other, causing him to cross the Despair Event Horizon. Orochimaru found him and took him in, offering him a new identity in exchange for his allegiance, which Kabuto accepted.]] At some point in the past, he started working for Sasori on Orochimaru's orders, who erased part of his memory to make him a sleeper agent. Then, when Orochimaru defected from Akatsuki, he broke the memory seal, and Kabuto became Orochimaru's follower.In combat, Kabuto uses medical techniques that he repurposed for combat. His main technique is the Ninja Scalpel, which can sever the strongest muscles with great ease. This, combined with his love of torture, makes him an especially dangerous opponent.Kabuto shows up in the first series during the Chunin Exams; at first, he appears to be a good guy, helping Naruto's team make it to the finish. Later, it's revealed he's spying on Naruto and Sasuke. After this revelation, he (while disguised as an ANBU) heals Hinata's rather severe internal injuries even though he gained absolutely nothing by doing so (and was healing somebody who could literally see right through his mask if she woke up). He plays a bit of a bigger role in the Search for Tsunade arc, where he engages Tsunade in battle. Though she has her Super Strength to fall back on, he quickly finds a way around it by exploiting her fear of blood, beating her. Fortunately, Naruto saves her and is more than willing to demonstrate his new Rasengan on Kabuto, doing more damage than even he can heal and motivating Tsunade to beat the tar out of Orochimaru.In Shippuden, he shows up in the second arc. Later, after Orochimaru dies, he has something of an existential crisis and integrates some of Orochimaru's DNA into his body. He feels that he needs to prove his strength by overpowering the growth in his body, but appears to be failing... until he shows back up even later with some new Orochimaru-esque powers and allies himself with Tobi. Several of these new abilities are shown off when he battles the shinobi guarding the two remaining jinchuuriki, managing to nab Yamato in the process. He then proceeds to resurrect almost every deceased character in the Narutoverse and then some, including the jinchuriki, Akatsuki, and the real Madara. He is confronted by Itachi and Sasuke, who attempt to stop the Edo Tensei, and reveals he has surpassed Orochimaru by becoming the Snake Sage. He attempts to both capture Sasuke and return Itachi to his control but is snared in Izanami, a powerful genjutsu that traps its victim in a "Groundhog Day" Loop, and is forced to end Edo Tensei by Itachi. Afterwards, Orochimaru, having been revived by Sasuke, reabsorbs his chakra and DNA that was inside Kabuto, returning him to his original appearance.Later Kabuto manages to escape the Izanami and the resulting backlash resulted in Kabuto undergoing a drastic Heel-Face Turn, reverting back to his original personality before he met Danzo and Orochimaru and now seeks to atone for all his actions during the war. By war's end, Kabuto still keeps his former master's snake appearance and goes on to taking his adoptive mother's place as caretaker of the Konoha orphanage.
open/close all folders
Voiced by: Nobutoshi Canna (JP), Henry Dittman (main series), Dan Woren (Rock Lee's Springtime of Youth) (EN), Moisés Ivan Mora (Latin America), Ricardo Escobar (Spain)
- Adjusting Your Glasses: Often does this.
- Affably Evil: Towards Naruto anyway.
- A God I Am: Kabuto attempted to complete Orochimaru's plan to become the next Sage of Six Paths, successfully attaining Sage Mode and bartering with Obito for a White Zetsu and Sasuke, whose Sharingan Kabuto believed would evolve into a Rinnegan upon the transfusion of Senju Cells from the White Zetsu.
- Animal Motifs: Guess. And later dragon.
- All Webbed Up: From Kidomaru.
- All Your Powers Combined: Has copied the powers of the Hidden Sound's elite.
- The Assimilator: Of Orochimaru and the Sound Five's powers; unfortunately, Orochimaru himself removed them. Later revealed not all the chakra was taken and he still has those powers.
- The Atoner: Became the new headmaster for his old orphanage after his Heel-Face Turn and the end of the 4th Shinobi War, knowing full well what kind of care would be needed in the new world.
- Avenging the Villain: After Orochimaru's death, he wants to punish Sasuke.
- Awesomeness by Analysis: Performed the impossible by implanting multiple Kekkei Genkai into an already living being, solely using DNA recombination.
- Bad with the Bone: From Kimimaro.
- Badass: Kakashi muses that Kabuto is his equal in terms of ninja ability. Even moreso after becoming a Sage, assimilating Orochimaru's remains, and utilizing Edo Tensei on a massive scale. He's also a physically capable combatant, fighting two Mangekyo Sharingan-wielding opponents on equal grounds.
- Badass Bookworm: Never been impressive physically, but he is very gifted in medicine, poison and biology, while being also cunning and quite manipulative.
- Badass Longrobe: Kabuto even uses its hood to block out Itachi and Sasuke's sharingan until he could go into Sage Mode
- Bait the Dog: If you were just going by his actions up until the end of the second part of the Chunin Exam, you would never have guessed that he was actually working for one of the most infamous ninja to walk the face of the earth.
- Bastard Understudy: To Orochimaru.
- Big Bad Duumvirate: Forms one with Tobi for a short time.
- Bio-Augmentation: In addition to Orochimaru's blood, he implants Karin's, Jugo's, Suigetsu's, and the Sound Four's blood into his body as well, giving him access to all their abilities.
- Berserk Button: Don't dismiss the value of a name to his face.
- Beta Test Baddie: Kabuto reveals the reason why he bioaugmented himself is because he wanted to eliminate his lack of self.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Male example, especially in the Chunin exams.
- Black Eyes of Crazy: His sclera turn black when he uses his Sage Mode.
- Blind Without Them: Until he goes Sage Mode.
- Blinded by the Light: His White Violent Technique is a flash-bang.
- Body Horror: Gets scales all over his body and a snake growing out of his abdomen after he "masters" Orochimaru's cells power.
- Boss Rush: His necromancy is a real Story-Breaker Power.
- Lowered Monster Difficulty: Unfortunately most are weaker than when they were alive.
- Brought Down to Normal: His serpentine body modifications are removed by Orochimaru, although he can still use dragon Sage Mode.
- The Chessmaster: Briefly for the 4th Shinobi War.
- Chronic Backstabbing Disorder: His genuine loyalty to Orochimaru is the exception (and O himself wasn't always certain about that - he just found it more interesting).
- Combat Medic / Deadly Doctor: Kabuto is trained in medical jutsu and knows how to use it to lethal effect.
- Combat Pragmatist: Slits his wrist and throws his blood on Tsunade because she is Afraid of Blood and later wipes his own blood in Naruto's eyes to blind him.
- Contemplate Our Navels: He bombards Naruto with questions such as "Who are we? What is our purpose?" prior to revealing he has fused himself with the remains of Orochimaru to give himself an identity.
- Crazy-Prepared: He appears to have altered one of his snakes' venom so that it will cancel out Yamato's wood release powers without otherwise injuring him.
- Critical Research Failure: In-Universe. "Edo Tensei has no risks". Well, turns out there are quite a few ways for the reanimated soul to break free. First, the person can find closure about something they could not achieve or failed to do before their death, thus severing the shackles binding the soul. Second, a person's programming tag can be overwritten if they are placed under a powerful genjutsu. And third, the reanimated person can annul their side of the contract if they know the jutsu's release seals. The last one is by far the worst that can happen:Madara: When that happens, you end up with the biggest problem of all. An immortal body with infinite chakra... that can move without control.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Kabuto vs Anko (offscreen), and Kabuto's ambush squad against Anko's recon squad.
- When he got serious against Itachi, Itachi couldn't even react to him and was cut clean in half.
- Dangerous Forbidden Technique: Edo Tensei, which he claims has no weakness... Except for when the zombies break free.
- Dangerously Genre Savvy: Upon gaining the power to raise the dead, the first thing he did was to put together an undead army of fallen super-villains, including the real Uchiha Madara. Later on he added damn near every other dead, notably powerful ninja he could think of.
- Dishing Out Dirt: From Jirobou, though he has used more and stronger earth ninjutsu on his own.
- Deadpan Snarker: Moreso than his master.
- Deep Cover Agent: Spent much of his life as one, working for Root, Orochimaru, and Akatsuki.
- Double Reverse Quadruple Agent: Was thought to be a spy for Sasori to investigate Orochimaru, but it turns out that he was with the latter from the beginning.
- Defeat Means Friendship: Naruto's usual approach has rather twisted results here: Kabuto credits Naruto with inspiring him to step out of Orochimaru's shadow and prove his worth as a new Big Bad.
- Deus ex Machina: Becomes this when his decision to pull a Heel-Face Turn ends up saving Sasuke's life.
- Devour the Dragon: Inverted, as he integrates Orochimaru's DNA and chakra into himself.
- Didn't Think This Through: Using the Impure World Reincarnation to revive Madara "second-only-to-Hashirama" Uchiha after having given him a power boost using Hashirama's cell. Kabuto was lucky his goals and Madara's were similar, not to mention that Madara was more interested in testing his new skills.
- Does Not Like Shoes: As the Snake Sage.
- Dragon Ascendant: Both figuratively and literally.
- Enemy Within: When he first reveals what he's done to himself, he states that Orochimaru's chakra and cells are trying to take over his body. Even after he successfully assimilates them, Anko believes Orochimaru's will is influencing him to follow in his footsteps.
- Enigmatic Minion: To Orochimaru, who at times doubts whether Kabuto is truly on his side or not.
- Epiphanic Prison: Itachi traps him in an especially poetic one. He can leave at any time provided he just admits his limits and that there are things no amount of flashy jutsu can change. Hum. He eventually does so, and returns to save Sasuke's life.
- Evil Albino: After becoming becoming a scaly abomination he is covered in pale scales.
- Evil Counterpart: One of Naruto's, more subtly than the others. His main motive seems to be to validate his own existence—he peppers Naruto with fauxlosophic questions on the subject upon reappearing after Orochimaru's death. This is a rather warped take on Naruto's (initial) reasons for wanting to be Hokage. He even has the same Sage powers as Naruto thanks to his training under the White Snake Sage, and compares Orochimaru's cells trying to take over his body to the Nine-Tailed Fox trying to take over Naruto. Plus, his mentor/pupil bond with Orochimaru mirrors the one that united Naruto and Jiraiya.
- Evil Genius: Is this in Tobi's shaky alliance, with Zetsu doubling as the Dark Chick and The Dragon (Co-Dragons along with Kisame after Pain's death but he later dies) and the revived Madara Uchiha as The Brute.
- Evil Gloating: Indulges more and more into this trope once the 4th Ninja War has begun, to the point of being quite insufferable during his fight against the Uchiha bros.
- Eviler Than Thou: Forms a shaky alliance with Tobi, with both trying to one-up the other on who's the Big Bad.
- Explaining Your Power to the Enemy: Especially in his fight against the Uchiha bros. Goes hand in hand with bragging constantly about how far he has evolved and is supposedly undefeatable.
- Fate Worse Than Death: Itachi's Izanami makes him live through a fight sequence for all eternity. It has a stipulation to break out, though: in Kabuto's case, Itachi stipulated that he has to come to terms with one's faults and admit he's not perfect. But by this point Kabuto is so convinced he's unstoppable that he'll never do it, and still thinks its all a Sharingan technique he can bypass. He eventually comes to accept his flaws and breaks free.
- Fatal Flaw: Kabuto's obsession with surpassing Orochimaru and his twisted admiration of Naruto.
- Both stemming from his true fatal flaw: a deep identity crisis.
- His ability to reanimate the dead becomes this after he begins spamming the Impure World Resurrection.
- Kabuto’s blood type being AB, meaning that he is an universal recipient, becomes this when it is revealed that he gained a boost in power after injecting himself with the blood of powerful ninja.
- Four Eyes, Zero Soul: Duh.
- Freudian Excuse: He's telling Sasuke and Itachi his childhood, possibly invoking this trope by saying he had "nothing"... and yet this is so far averted since he was taken in by an Orphanage of Love where one nun gave him her own glasses so he could see. This actually makes him a bit scarier—how detached is he to see all that kindness as nothing?
- The reason for this is then revealed; he was spying on Iwagakure when he was attacked by the woman who had taken him in, as she was undercover and failed to recognize him. He inflicted lethal injuries on her before he realized who she was, and he tried to heal her but failed, and she did not remember him even as she died. This caused Kabuto to feel as if his life had been meaningless, as the reason he had decided to become a ninja was to repay her for her kindness.
- From Nobody to Nightmare: Goes from a Jonin level Genin to briefly the closest thing to the mastermind of the entire war.
- Gambit Pileup: Not exactly him, but his backstory and personality appears to be one: having been a spy all his life, no one is exactly sure who he really was working for at any point he was in the story. The time he was supposedly a spy for Sasori against Orochimaru? Turns out he was Orochimaru's spy to Sasori since the beginning!
- Genre Blind: "Nobody can stop me!" Also, loudly declaring that his ultimate technique has no weaknesses.
- Handicapped Badass: His glasses aren't for deception, he really has myopia. That means that when he escaped from Naruto soon after absorbing Orochimaru's remains, when not wearing his glasses, he was technically "half-blind".
- Harmful to Minors: Like Itachi, Kabuto was exposed to the horror of a shinobi world at war at a very young age; he then became too good at his job as a spy and lost his superior's trust and they planned his assassination.
- Healing Factor: The main reason Orochimaru got an interest in him are his unusually high regeneration abilities. Kabuto implements more and more abilities of this fashion as the manga goes. He implants himself with Orochimaru's highly regenerative snake cells, then later with the various healing abilities of the Uzumaki (through Karin), Sakon, Kimimaro and Jugo's clan.
- Heel-Face Turn: Imprisonment by Itachi's Izanami helped him realize his true nature, which in turn set him free, and he's now on the battlefield, helping to revive a critically injured Sasuke. It also helps him realize that he has a home to return to.
- Hellish Pupils: Post-evolution, and bow howdy are they creepy. They're almost Terumi-esque levels of devilish.
- Humanoid Abomination: Finally upgraded into one by the time he meets the Big Bad in person.
- Horned Humanoid: In his Dragon-Sage Mode.
- I Just Want to Be Special: His entire motivation after meeting up with Orochimaru was just to be noticed by people.
- In Harmony with Nature: From Jugo.
- Invincible Villain: Invokes this trope on himself, saying how exactly Itachi is screwed and how he couldn't possibly defeat him without killing him, that's exactly what Itachi wants to avoid. Itachi proves him wrong, but through an Deus ex Machina.
- Irony: For the majority of his early childhood, Sasori manipulated him like a puppet. Now, thanks to his newfound necromancer status, he controls Sasori in almost the exact same way. Sasori was less than enthusiastic about this.
- Subverted, as he was never really under Sasori's control to begin with.
- Line-of-Sight Name: Kind of. As a kid, he forgot his given name after a battle, and he was wearing a samurai's helmetnote when the people who found him decided to name him.
- Living Emotional Crutch: Orochimaru was this to him.
- Loss of Identity: Struggled with this his whole life. Only after Orochimaru's death does he confront it and decides to assimilate his remains and become a new more powerful person.
- Mad Doctor: Like his master.
- Mad Scientist: Like his master again.
- Meaningful Name: "Yakushi" is the name of the Buddha of Medicine. Fitting for the second best medic-nin of the series.
- Making a Splash: From Suigetsu, though altered somewhat to fit his own physiology.
- Manipulative Bastard: Orochimaru even called him cruel for manipulating Kimimaro on his deathbed.
- Master Poisoner: Was able to synthesize a poison that could neutralize Yamato's mokuton ninjutsu.
- Mix-and-Match Critters: He's the fusion of ten different people!
- Mr. Exposition: During the Chunin Exams. Considering he was working with Orochimaru, he was probably invoking this trope to watch Sasuke more closely.
- The Mole: To Orochimaru (was suspected to be a spy of Sasori, but was Orochimaru's to be begin with).
- More Than Mind Control: After Orochimaru freed him from Sasori's Mind Control, he chose to become loyal to him, not from gratitude, but because he was seduced by his view of the world and motives.
- Multiple-Choice Past: It's been revealed that the backstory he gave when he was introduced was a cover given to him by Orochimaru when he joined the Sound Village.
- Musical Assassin: From Tayuya.
- Necromancer: One of three, the other two being Orochimaru and the Second Hokage. They all used the same technique: Impure World Ressurection. Kabuto is probably the best example though. He's the only one who pulled off the "zombie army" part (Orochimaru used it on a smaller scale). Even before he had shades of this with his Dead Soul Jutsu reanimating corpses to use as decoys.
- Nerd Glasses: Subverted. After he turns out to be with Orochimaru, these turn into Four Eyes, Zero Soul.
- Nigh-Invulnerability: He has medical jutsu to speed his healing. And Orochimaru's regenerative powers to speed it up some more. And Karin's Uzumaki cells to speed it up some more. And Suigetsu's ability to turn into liquid and absorb any non-lightning physical attack harmlessly. And Sage Mode, which means his body is now impossibly durable and his heightened senses make him even better at dodging than he was before. Theoretically, Dragon Sage Kabuto is more difficult to deal lasting physical harm to than Tobi or the real Madara.
- Not So Different: Admits he and Tobi share several similarities. It's even more deep then he realizes though. Both of them were involved in the Great Ninja War and were left for dead only to be found by the Big Bad and taken in a a loyal student. When said Big Bad died, they both took said Big Bad and tried to become them and both went from joke level fighters to Kage level enemies. To add to it, both of them pulled a Face-Heel Turn after said Big Bad returned from the dead and decided to embrace who they actually are. Both are also Foil's to Naruto who use this to their advantage.
- Not-So-Harmless Villain: He seemed to be a not very good Chunin candidate, but after he's revealed to be Orochimaru's right-hand man, he's shown to be a Jonin-level medical ninja.
- Later on,he's moved up to doing things like reanimating Akatsuki members, which given that Impure World reanimations retain all the (kage-level in this case) powers of the original plus regeneration from all damage, puts him well above most other cast members.
- He also trained under the White Snake Sage to attain Sage Mode just like Naruto.
- His latest achievement is bisecting Itachi. Itachi was completely helpless around Kabuto alone and needed an EMS Sasuke to back him up.
- One-Man Army: Thanks to Kuchiyose Edo tensei, Kabuto has summoned a number of warriors who probably qualify in themselves to do his bidding. Oh, they are also near immortal and can regenerate in a manner of seconds.
- Also has a case of All Your Powers Combined with his Sage Mode use of the Sound elite's powers.
- Orphanage of Love: Kabuto's flashback reveals he grew up in one. Go figure. In the final chapter of Naruto Gaiden, it's revealed that he is the new caretaker of Konoha's orphanage.
- Our Dragons Are Different: His Sage Mode.
- Personality Blood Types: In Shippuden. Kabuto is AB, despite Orochimaru's asking if he is A based on his compulsive desire to keep corpses sealed in a scroll in a certain order.
- Pet the Dog: Cured Hinata of the wounds she got against Neji for apparently no reason other than random kindness. Much later he also heals Sakura from her 4-Tailed inflicted wounds, though he justifies it through pragmatism.
- Power Copying, as mentioned earlier.
- Power Parasite: In Part II. Implants himself with Orochimaru's cells after the latter's "death". Later he copies some abilities of Karin, Jugo, Suigetsu and the Sound Five, but he doesn't forget to train properly in some other fields.
- Pressure Point: Can target them as shown in his battle against Tsunade and Naruto.
- Psychotic Smirk: Prone to this after he absorbs Orochimaru's cells.
- Razor-Sharp Hand: His signature Chakra Scalpel technique which is actually a re-purposed medical technique; it allows him to cut tendons without breaking skin but, even better, it allows him to just plain slice people in half!
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: His sclerae turn red while in his snake form.
- Required Secondary Powers: His Sage Art: White Rage Technique acts as a flashbang combined with producing enough noise to make the air oscillate from the vibrations, blinding and paralyzing the opponent. He must use his snake-like brille to block out the light and Suigetsu's Hydration Technique to liquefy his organs so they can absorb the sound.
- Reverse Mole: Interesting subversion between two groups of villains. Is allegedly Sasori's spy, but he's actually loyal to Orochimaru.
- Sanity Slippage: After Orochimaru's death he loses it.
- Scaled Up: Both the Dragon and Snake varieties.
- Scary Shiny Glasses: Later removed during the fight with Sasuke and revived Itachi.
- Self-Made Orphan: Not in the way you'd think. As a child, he grew up in a orphanage and was very close to the head caretaker (that he even referred to as mother), who was a former intelligence officer for ROOT. When Danzo came along with a request that she go undercover, lest he revoke the orphanage's budget, Kabuto went as well. Years later, he ended up mortally wounding her when she was in disguise. The real kicker? She didn't recognize him since ROOT had been sending her fake pictures of him, slowly replacing them with someone completely different.
- Snake Person: Takes after Orochimaru.
- Sonic Stunner: His White Violent Technique is a flash-bang.
- Spanner in the Works: Ultimately summoning the real Madara ended up being a really bad thing for Tobi, The Alliance and almost everyone. It did made Tobi's plan far more complicated since her never intended to resurrect Madara in the first place.
- The Starscream: Discussed. It's suggested that he might be trying to betray Orochimaru. The latter even muses that he's not sure which way Kabuto will go. But he never actually does, and after Orochimaru's death shows great respect towards him.
- Story-Breaker Power: Summoning: Impure World Ressurection is taken to its logical conclusion: Kabuto uses it to revive nigh every single poweful dead ninja that we have ever heard of, all of whom are now immortal, near indestructible and possess every single ability they had while alive. Literally this one technique, on its own, allows him to fight the entire rest of the world, at once. And he nearly won.
- Also having a Sage Mode, as well as all of the Sound Elite's powers.
- Super Mode: Kabuto can use Snake Sage Mode, which gives him a draconic appearance..
- Teens Are Monsters: Before the timeskip he is merely nineteen years old and has some severe issues from his childhood as the Sole Survivor found after a large battle.
- Theme Naming: "Kabuto" is a samurai's helmet, which matches his teammates Yoroi Akado ("armor") and Misumi Tsurugi ("sword").
- Took a Level in Badass: From Orochimaru's Dragon to one of the two Big Bads for a short while.
- Tragic Keepsake: His glasses, which used to belong to the head caretaker of the orphanage he grew up in.
- Two Beings, One Body: From Sakon, which allows him to use the powers of others in tandem with the Kekkei Genkai he now has access to.
- Used to Be a Sweet Kid: If his backstory discussed in chapter 582 is to be believed.
- Villain Forgot to Level Grind: Could be considered a Most Triumphant Aversion. He started as a jonin-level threat. Now he's probably at Kage level, and that's just as an individual combatant. Counting all the elite shinobi he resurrected and put under his control with Edo Tensei, he might even be more dangerous than Tobi with the Rinnegan. He even went through the same kind of training Naruto did to become a Sage.
- Villain Override: Periodically throughout his Zombie Apocalypse, Kabuto will take control of the resurrected ninja himself. He has a nasty habit of doing this in time to break up what would normally be a touching reunion, though surprisingly this part isn't intentional.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Kabuto's last on-panel appearance depicts him being freed from Infinite Tsukuyomi along with Orochimaru, Suigetsu, Karin and Jugo, and then...he simply disappears, not mentioned again.
- White Hair, Black Heart: Kabuto has naturally white hair and has performed some nasty actions.
- Wild Card: Out-gambitted Tobi himself and forced him into an unstable alliance while supplying the best undead shinobi. In the more traditional sense of the word, he has done several selfless actions to help his enemies. In one scene, before their relationship was retconned into being a years long respectful partnership, Orochimaru commented that he wasn't sure how much he could trust Kabuto.
- Worthy Opponent: Considers Naruto. The Databook even said that the person he wanted to fight most was Naruto.
- Would Hurt a Child: Had no problem attempting to puncture 12 year old Naruto's heart to kill him.
- Wrong Genre Savvy: His choice of allowing his zombies to keep their minds facing against people they loved/respected, not to mention the zombies themselves not liking the fact they can't rest in peace has been shown to be kinda shooting yourself in the foot. Though it's hard to say if he is really trying to win the war.
- Xanatos Gambit: Kabuto's Edo Tensei can only be stopped by his own hand, and if he dies, it will go on forever. Whether or not he considers the latter outcome a benefit depends on whether or not he cares if his plan is accomplished while he's alive. The former happens.
The Sound Five are Orochimaru's squad of personal bodyguards. They first appear during the Chunin Exam arc, where they prevent anyone from interfering with Orochimaru's fight with the Third Hokage. Their main appearance, though, is in the Sasuke Retrieval arc, where they are sent to escort Sasuke to Orochimaru's lair and serve as the antagonists of the arc. Each of them fights one of the members of the Retrieval team, and all of them are dead by the end of the arc.Each of them possesses a Cursed Seal, which allows them to transform into more powerful forms during battle.The Sound Five as a whole have examples of:
- Adaptation Expansion: See Back from the Dead below for details.
- Ax-Crazy: Except for Kimimaro. Sakon in particular had to be reminded not to kill Sasuke in their first meeting.
- Back from the Dead: Kimimaro was resurrected by Edo Tensei in the manga. All of them were in the anime.
- Badass: They were the final bosses of Part I along with Sasuke and very nearly killed the heroes.
- Barrier Warriors: The Sound Four cast various barrier and sealing jutsu together.
- Chekhov's Gunman: All of them (sans Kimimaro) first appear at the end of the Chunin Exam arc, where they don't do much aside from setting up the barrier jutsu and helping Orochimaru escape. We don't get to see what they can really do until the Sasuke Retrieval Arc.
- Elite Mooks/Quirky Miniboss Squad
- Five-Bad Band: With Orochimaru acting as the Big Bad
- Four Is Death: When Kimimaro leaves the group, they become known as the Sound Four.
- Hero Killer: Every single one of them provides a major threat to the heroes, such that only Shikamaru and Naruto weren't nearly killed by their opponent before killing them/reinforcements showed up. They are among Orochimaru's finest warriors after all.
- Killed Off for Real: All of them, despite all being young.
- Malevolent Masked Men: In their first appearance.
- One-Winged Angel: Courtesy of the Curse Mark. Kimimaro has one that's stronger than the others.
- Psychos For Hire: Save for Kimimaro.
- Sore Loser: In the anime after Kimimaro defeats them it takes them a while to follow his orders.
- Summon Magic: All of them have a summoning technique (though Jirobou's is only in the anime).
- Total Party Kill: The Sound Four are wiped out delivering Sasuke Uchiha to Orochimaru in the end, though they ultimately succeed in their mission.
- Trash Talk: They are very fond of this. Even Kimimaro, despite his calm and otherwise polite speech.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Their relationship with each other is rather volatile, though they still have powerful collaboration techniques when the situation calls for it.
- Younger Than They Look: Believe it or not, they are FOURTEEN. Except for Kimimaro who is fifteen. They only look their age in the stock photos we use.
Voiced by: Kenta Miyake (JP), Michael Sorich (EN), Erick Salinas (Latin America)
"You get five people together, one of them is always the reject. The guy they keep around for a laugh, and in a pinch, he's always the first to go, a pawn among knights."Big guy. Constantly berating Tayuya for her foul mouth. The most physically powerful member of the five, but the weakest overall when considering all abilities combined. Hates being called fat, but calls Choji fat constantly in their battle — go figure.He knows lots of Earth-Style jutsu and taijutsu, and can eat other peoples' chakra to strengthen himself. His Cursed Seal form makes him bigger and tougher.Has Choji on the ropes for most of their fight, but Choji uses a Deadly Upgrade and kills him in one punch.
- Antagonist Abilities: Of the Energy Absorption variety.
- Bald of Evil: Not completely, though he's lacking in hair nonetheless. He grows a large amount of hair in his second state of his cursed seal.
- Berserk Button: Being called fat.
- Big Guy Fatality Syndrome: He is the first member of the Sound Four to die.
- Boomerang Bigot: Makes fun of Choji for being fat during their fight, despite being fatter than he is.
- The Brute: But a lot smarter than most examples, enough to dish out some serious emotional abuse against Chouji. Not smart enough to realize, however, that dissing Shikamaru was a really bad idea...
- Bully Hunter: A rare villanous (and hypocritical) example of the trope. During his fight with Choji Jirobo keeps insulting Shikamaru, wrongly assuming that Shikamaru considered Choji the weakest and most useless of the group and left him alone just out of jerkass-ness.
- Butt Monkey: Interestingly, he mocks Choji for being the butt of everyone's jokes despite the fact that he's the butt of everyone's jokes. Not to mention, since everyone seems aware he is the weakest of the five, they tend to remind him that fairly often.
- Containment Field: He could make one out of earth and combine it with his Energy Absorption too. In the anime, it was actually shown to be deadly.
- Dishing Out Dirt: He is very proficient at earthbending jutsus.
- Energy Absorption: This is Jirobo's specialty, and one of his most powerful abilities.
- Even Evil Has Standards: When Shikamaru (who was not actually intending to do so) asks to only let himself out of his Earth Dome Prison rather than any of his comrades, he tells him that he deserves to die for wanting to do such a thing.
- Evil Cannot Comprehend Good: Since the other members of the Sound Five treat him as the butt of their jokes and show no simphaty for him at all, he mistakes Shikamaru's trust in Choji as an act of dickery not different from that of his companions.
- Evil Counterpart: To Choji. Both are The Big Guy of their respective groups and fat.
- Evil Redhead
- Fat Bastard
- Golem: He can summon one in the anime and it shares his Energy Absorption powers.
- Hypocrite: In several aspects, he's an Evil Counterpart to Choji. For someone who considers being called fat a Berserk Button, he has no qualms addressing Choji as such.
- Irony: See Butt Monkey.
- Large and In Charge: The biggest of the group.
- Life Energy: He can eat chakra to regain strength.
- Mighty Glacier: Though the physically strongest member of the group, he is also the slowest. This is one of the reasons why he is considered by the rest of the Sound Four to be their weakest member.
- One-Winged Angel: Becomes even bigger, grows more hair, has his skin turn red, and grows wart-like portrubences, causing him to resemble an ogre.
- Power Makes Your Hair Grow: The second stage of his cursed seal.
- Stout Strength
- Super Strength: He is able to lift a giant Choji in his second stage of his cursed seal.
Voiced by: Susumu Chiba (JP), Peter Lurie (EN), Sergio Gutierrez Coto (Latin America)
- The weakest one in the game always goes down first!
- Arachnid Appearance and Attire: 8 members, check; can make web, check; has a spider for summon, check. He even gets a Third Eye when in One-Winged Angel form.
- Always Accurate Attack: In his Level Two form, he can make sure that his arrows never miss. Neji was only able to redirect the arrow away from his heart to avoid an instant kill.
- Ambiguously Brown: A dark-skinned member.
- Archer Archetype: He fits the intellectual aspects and is a composed fighter but like everyone in the group he is an unrepentant sadist.
- Awesomeness by Analysis: He's able to figure out the effects and limitations of several of Neji's techniques just by watching how he reacts.
- Evil Genius: It takes Kidoumaru about five minutes to figure out the weakness in the Hyuuga Clan's much-vaunted Absolute Defense, and another two minutes to exploit it and bring Neji to his knees.
- Giant Spider: Summons one in Level Two, and it reproduces. Sleep tight, arachnophobes...
- Glass Cannon: He's an effective ranged combatant, but falls after Neji's first successful Gentle Fist assault on him.
- Instant Armor: By secreting golden spider silk from his sweat glands.
- Long-Range Fighter: After going Level 2, Neji never even gets to see him until he is given the opportunity for a finishing blow, though his vulnerability to a close-ranged assault helps him counteract this.
- Multi-Armed and Dangerous: Tayuya once calls him an octopus, but this is otherwise never mentioned nor discussed in-universe.
- Multi-Ranged Master: Archery is his speciality.
- One-Winged Angel: Becomes even more spider-like, grows horns, and has his hair turn white and grow.
- Power Dyes Your Hair
- Power Makes Your Hair Grow: Into an afro, no less.
- Spontaneous Weapon Creation: He can create weapons like throwing knives and a bow and arrow them out of a specialized spider silk from his mouth.
- The Strategist: And thinks killing people is fun, like an RTS game. Remember that he's fourteen years old.
- Third Eye: Helps his accuracy.
- Wrong Genre Savvy: Told Neji that it's the destiny of minor characters to be removed from the game first. Too bad he didn't realize he was the minor character... Turns into a big, dark Brick Joke when Neji is the first of the Konoha 11 to die, impaled, from what was basically a giant arrow, no less!
Sakon and Ukon
Sakon and Ukon
Voiced by: Shunsuke Sakuya (JP), Brian Beacock (EN), Luis Alfonso Mendoza (Latin America)
"I agree. I think the two of usnote can tear this Leaf shinobi apart."Two members for the price of one. They share the same body most of the time, and are basically the same in terms of personality — the only real difference is that Sakon is a showboat who likes to toy with his opponents, while Ukon likes to end things quickly.With their unique kekkai genkai, Ukon is able to spend most of his time sleeping in Sakon's body, but can emerge to give Sakon extra arms or legs to work with, or can separate entirely. They can also merge with their opponents to destroy the enemy's body from the inside. Their Cursed Seal form is a two-headed ogre — when they split in this form, half of their body is covered in spikes. Overall, Sakon is the most powerful of the group besides Kimimaro, making him generally the default leader.They tangle with Kiba and Akamaru in a two-on-two fight, but are eventually killed by Kankuro's puppet combinations.
- Antagonist Abilities: They're a Body Snatcher that can destroy their opponent from the inside.
- Bishounen: A strange, creepy version. They're even described as fox-like.
- Brains and Brawn: To a degree. Sakon handles the physical stuff, while Ukon deals with the possession jutsu and other mental aspects of fighting.
- Body Horror: Not only are they living in each others' bodies, they can go into other people's bodies to kill them. It's... freaky◊.
- Boring but Practical: Sakon and Ukon have the less visually impressive jutsu of the four (at least when compared to Kidomaru's spider webs or Tayuya's chakra-sucking ogres), but they are actually the most efficient ones: they just have to grapple their opponent once to fuse with them and make them die slowly.
- Creepy Twins: White-grey hair? Check. Blue lips? Check. Semi-siamese with one of them looking like a second head when fused with the other? Guys, I think we have a winner!
- Cool Gate: The Rashomon Gates that they summon.
- The Dragon / The Starscream: To Kimimaro. They're the strongest members after him, act as the leader in the latter's absence, and really don't seem to like him.
- Eleventh Hour Ranger: Ukon's unexpected presence (and existence) very nearly led to Kiba's death at the twins' hands.
- Fusion Dance: Their main skill is using their ability to fuse their bodies with each other and their opponents.
- Grand Theft Me: Ukon can take control of his enemy's body and slowly kill them, but is hurt when the target is hurt, too.
- Healing Factor: Due to their cellular based powers.
- Horned Humanoid: They gain a horn on their heads when in their Cursed Seal form.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: Kankuro kills them both in this manner.
- Multi-Armed and Dangerous: The dormant body was able to lend the dominant one its arms and legs which gave them very versatile taijutsu skill.
- One-Winged Angel: Turns into a demonic looking pair of ogres, with fangs, claws, Spikes of Villainy, and one arm and leg that are grossly larger and more deformed than the other.
- Real Men Wear Pink: Both brothers wear blue lipstick.
- Sissy Villain: A subversion: he's pretty and wears a lot of makeup, but his mannerisms are anything but feminine, and he's a violent, unapologetic sadist to boot.
- Though Tayuya does call him a "fairy".
- Spikes of Villainy: In One-Winged Angel form.
- Two Beings, One Body: The current poster boys of the trope.
- Wham Shot: After Shikamaru has captured the Sound Four in his shadow jutsu, you can see that the head sticking out of his back is gone. Moments later, Ukon attacks the group, forcing Shikamaru to dispel the jutsu and enabling the Sound Four to get the upper hand.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
Voiced by: Akeno Watanabe (JP), Kari Wahlgren (EN), Cristina Hernandez (Latin America)
"I'll play you the melody of death!"The only female of the Sound Five. Redheaded Dark Action Girl. Very rude. In combat, she uses a flute to order around three huge demons. Her Cursed Seal form is a five-horned demon-like creature with brown skin. Fights Shikamaru to a draw, but is killed by Temari.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: Her hair is more pink than red in the manga.
- Antagonist Abilities: Mind Manipulation via illusion.
- Brown Note: While playing a melody on her flute, Tayuya can create an illusion that her opponent is strung up by wires while the skin starts to melt off their bones.
- Cluster F-Bomb: In some translations.
- Cute Monster Girl: Her level two curse transformation is much less monstrous and ugly than the others. Some think she even looks better.
- Dark Action Girl: Is more than capable of fighting both physically and tactically, at one point decking Naruto in the face hard enough to send him flying.
- The Dark Chick: Ironically, it's the only of the Sound Five to actually use sound as a weapon.
- Deadpan Snarker: Although she's a bit on the rude side.
- Evil Redhead: She's one of the Sound Five and the most gung-ho of them.
- Fiery Redhead: She has a nasty temper.
- Flunky Boss: Her main method of fighting is controlling three demonic creatures with her flute.
- Godiva Hair: When Kabuto makes a naked manifestation of her protrude from his body.
- Horned Humanoid: Her Cursed seal form gives her three horns on her head.
- Long-Range Fighter: She uses her flute and her Doki to attack her enemies from a distance.
- Master of Illusion: Tayuya is shown to be skilled at genjutsu.
- Musical Assassin: Her flute is heavily utilized in her fighting style.
- Number Two: To Sakon, being the second most-powerful of the group until Kimimaro shows up.
- One-Winged Angel: A demon girl with multiple horns and very creepy eyes.
- Our Ogres Are Hungrier: Her summoning beasts are the Doki, three huge ogre-like demons who can bite the chakra out of their victims's body.
- Summon Magic: Summons Youkai demons based on the Monkey Morality Pose.
- Super Strength: Not nearly as profound as Jirobo's, but she was able to break free of Shikamaru's shadow techniques once she activated the second stage of her cursed seal.
- The Strategist: During her fight with Shikamaru, her defensive position with her summoned demons is done so well that Shikamaru admits that she's almost as good at thinking and strategics as he is.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: Tends to be the one heaping on verbal abuse of her teammates, and doesn't seem to enjoy working with her squad...although there may be a reason for her conduct: when Shikamaru catches them up while impersonating Jirobo, Tayuya immediately throws off a string of abusive remarks, and she, Kidoumaru, and Sakon instantly caught on on to the deception when Shikamaru-as-Jiroubou just takes her abuse without complaint.
- Worthy Opponent: Considers Shikamaru this in their battle, and vice-versa.
Child Voice: Makoto Tsumura (JP), Kari Wahlgren (EN), Irwin Daayan (Latin America) Adult Voice: Toshiyuki Morikawa (JP), Keith Silverstein (EN), Irwin Daayan (Latin America)
"I'm not brainwashed. Lord Orochimaru is the only one who understands me. You know nothing!!"The strongest member by far. The last member of a clan of Blood Knights who were killed off after attempting to revolt against the Hidden Mist Village. Taken in by Orochimaru, who he idolizes. He was originally supposed to be Orochimaru's next vessel, but he contracted a terminal illness (likely tuberculosis), which prevented this. The others didn't want him to join, but as he was stronger than them all combined, they didn't have much of a choice.He has a kekkai genkai which allows him to control the growth of his bones, which are harder than steel. He can cause them to protrude from his body as Spikes of Doom, or remove them from his body entirely to use as weapons. (They evidently grow back instantaneously.) This reaches squicky levels at times, for example when he pulls out his own spine to use as a weapon. His Cursed Seal form is a dinosaur-like creature.Fights Naruto, then Rock Lee, and then Gaara. He beats the first two without much difficulty, but is nearly buried alive by Gaara. He manages to break free (which should have been physically impossible), but succumbs to his illness before he can land the killing blow.Kabuto later resurrects him with Edo Tensei, but he is made dead again with Itachi's intervention.
- Affably Evil: Polite if not outright nice to his opponents, lets Lee take his medicine mid-fight and even praises his opposition.
- Alas, Poor Villain: In-universe after his death, Rock Lee and Gaara had a talk about how unfortunate he was. See Tragic Villain below.
- Alliterative Name
- Anatomy Arsenal: His power.
- Anti-Villain: The Noble type.
- Asskicking Equals Authority: When it comes to the Sound 5.
- Back from the Dead: With Kabuto's mass Edo Tensei, he's baaaack, but is made dead again before he could do anything major.
- Badass: Fights successive one-on-one battles with Naruto, Rock Lee (admittedly not fighting at his best, but even so probably not in his league), and Gaara. Only the last of the three actually manages to harm him, and even then Kimimaro only lost because he was already terminally ill before the fight ever started.
- Bad with the Bone: His power.
- Ballistic Bone: Can fire them like bullets.
- Berserk Button: Gaara was nearly killed for insulting his belief in Orochimaru.
- Body Horror: His power to control his bones can become this. At one point, he rips out his own spine to use as a whip.
- Convenient Terminal Illness: A reason why Orochimaru can't use him as a host.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Kimimaro was referred to as the most powerful member of the Kaguya clan, having abilities that even his war-loving clan feared. Because of this, he was locked away in a cage for most of his life, only released occasionally when needed to fight other clans. Once his clan was exterminated, he only found value in his life following Orochimaru.
- Determinator: His illness was well into it's final stages before he set out to retrieve Sasuke, and he keeps on fighting until the moment of his death.
- Dance Battler: His attacks are all named "_____ no Mai" (Dance of the ____), and involve dance-like movements with his bones jutting out.
- The Dragon: Leader of the Sound Five, and one of Orochimaru's best followers. May have been Co-Dragons with Kabuto pre-illness. If you count the anime, then both Kimimaro and Kabuto shared this role with Guren.
- Drama-Preserving Handicap: He is practically invulnerable to any sort of damage, constantly emerging unscathed from Gaara's attacks that would crush anyone else like a grape. So, of course, he has a Convenient Terminal Illness that ultimately kills him right when he is about to stab Gaara.
- Expy: His relationship with Orochimaru is quite reminiscent of Zabuza and Haku's.
- Which is made apparent in episode 126 of part one. When he runs into the two just before he meets Orochimaru for the first time, when his clan attacks the hidden Mist Village.
- Facial Markings: Like all members of the Kaguya clan, two points on the forehead, which are based on a fashion of ancient Japanese noblemen.
- Handicapped Badass: And considering how the Four were able to handle shinobi of Chunin and Jounin level, it is not likely to boast that he would have been the strongest person below Orochimaru and face off against foes of even a Kage caliber.
- Honor Before Reason: He doesn't kill a defenseless Rock Lee when Lee asks him to hold on so he can take his medicine and when he gets drunk consequently, even though he has plenty of opportunities. Considering that he died basically one second from killing Gaara and probably making Rock Lee fall in a sea of spikes with him, it cost him a Pyrrhic Victory.
- Hidden Depths: Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm Revolution reveals he is quite a Big Eater. Which actually makes sense, given he fights entirely on his bone-manipulating powers, fortifying bones with calcium is pretty much a requirement.
- Ill Boy: Has an incurable illness that makes him cough blood.
- Implacable Man: He was ill at the time which makes it even more impressive as a pre-time skip Gaara was barely able to slow him down.
- Incurable Cough of Death: His terminal illness makes him cough out blood.
- Last of His Kind: The last living Kaguya.
- Let's Fight Like Gentlemen: During his fight with Rock Lee, Lee stops him for a few moments by... telling him to wait and let him take his medicine, as he had just recovered from major surgery. Kimimaro abides.
- Lightning Bruiser: Of the hard-hitting speedster variety.
- Lovecraftian Superpower: He can manipulate bones through the use of chakra to the degree that he can pull out his spine and use it as whip.
- Mean Boss: Despite his honourable qualities, he treats the Sound 4 like dirt, even threatening to kill Tayuya because they didn't bring Sasuke to Orochimaru on time and once beating Kidomaru to near death. Considering they are not quite as noble as him, he arguably has his reasons.
- Morality Pet: Helps keep Jugo from going berserk. His death is the reason Jugo initially refuses to leave prison to join Sasuke.
- Nigh-Invulnerability: Highly durable due to his manipulation of his bone structure and he is able to No Sell the crushing pressure of Gaara's Desert Funerals.
- One-Winged Angel: Bones jut out completely, hair colour and eye colour changes, and he gets even faster and more Nigh Invulnerable.
- Only One Name: In spite of being from the Kaguya clan, the databooks say his name is only "Kimimaro".
- The Pawn: The sad truth he couldn't accept. Or better said, the sad truth he ultimately did not give a crap about.
- Pet the Dog: He was empathetic and kind to Jūgo, being one of the few people able to keep Jūgo from losing control over himself. He even visited Jūgo a last time before setting out to retrieve Sasuke.
- Required Secondary Powers: He appears to have a Healing Factor to replace his bones, given that his body should be a mess after all the bones he removes, not to talk his spinal cord.
- Spikes of Doom: Many of his moves, particularly Dance of the Larch, involve sprouting bones from his body to impale his opponent.
- Spikes of Villainy: The bones jutting from him in released form certainly count.
- Spike Shooter: Can fire his finger bones like bullets.
- Spontaneous Weapon Creation: Out of his bones. With it he could make a swords, Blade Below the Shoulder, a Whip and a giant spearhead.
- The Last Dance: Fights Naruto, Rock Lee and Gaara to ensure Orochimaru gets his new vessel.
- The Stoic: Compared to his wild partners.
- Sycophantic Servant: To Orochimaru.
- Token Good Teammate: While not a saint, he's a great deal more honorable than his whole team and his entire clan of Ax-Crazy.
- Token Heroic Orc: Again, he's this to his clan.
- Tragic Villain: A Deconstruction of Undying Loyalty. He only found purpose serving someone who didn't care about him at all.
- Undying Loyalty: Under Orochimaru, Kimimaro found purpose in his life as he desired to ensure the continuation of his master's dreams and ambitions. Though Orochimaru took him under his wing to become his future vessel, Kimimaro did not mind such a fate if it meant being of aid to his master.
- Villainous Valour: A common trait of important villains. He genuinely cares about Orochimaru and Kabuto, and is such a Determinator Rock Lee of all people can barely believe it.
- White Hair, Black Heart: He belongs to a violent and Ax-Crazy clan.
- Your Days Are Numbered: Due to being terminally ill, and another reason why he can't be Orochimaru's host.
Voiced By: Souichiro Hoshi (JP, child) Keiji Okuda (JP) Sam Riegel (EN), Antonio Gálvez (Latin America)Zaku fights using special pipes in his arms which allow him to channel wind with destructive force. As a child, he was a thief at his village who faced punishment from the authorities. Orochimaru saw what he liked in the boy (no, not like that—probably), and recruited him. In the Chunin Exams, he fights Shino, who beats him by plugging up his arm holes with bugs. He then is used as a human sacrifice to revive one of the Hokages.
- Alas, Poor Villain: Invoked by Sarutobi, who is disgusted at the disregard Orochimaru has for his subordinates' lives.
- An Arm and a Leg: In the manga, the explosion of his air pipes results in him losing his arms.
- Arc Villain: Only appears during the Chunin Exams, and briefly as a corpse during the Sound-Sand Invasion. Never mentioned again afterwards.
- Astonishingly Appropriate Appearance: His headgear was pretty much similar to the one Tobirama Senju, the Second Hokage, wore. Guess who he is used to revive.
- The Brute
- Gale-Force Sound: His air tubes shoot out sound waves.
- The McCoy
- Out-Gambitted: In his fight with Shino.
- Pride: Very arrogant.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: The anime shows this (towards Orochimaru) is his main motivation.
- When All You Have Is a Hammer: His sound waves are his main jutsu, and can be used from anything from attacking targets to blocking kunai to even softening the earth.
- Unwitting Pawn: To Orochimaru.
Voiced By: Akiko Koike (JP) Stephanie Sheh (EN), Erica Edwards (Latin America)Kin is a long-haired Dark Action Girl who fights using strings attached to bells, which are then used to hypnotize and disorient her opponents (although in the manga they simply served to distract the opponent while she threw more needles at them). She and her companions attempt to kill Sasuke under Orochimaru's orders and she's the one who holds Sakura hostage, which drives her to her Important Haircut. Later, she fights Shikamaru in the Chunin Exams, who demonstrates his superior strategic thinking by sliding his shadow under one of her strings, then forcing her to knock herself out. She's then used as a human sacrifice.
- Alas, Poor Villain: Invoked by Sarutobi, who is disgusted at the disregard Orochimaru has for his subordinates' lives.
- Arc Villain: Only appears during the Chunin Exams, and briefly as a corpse during the Sound-Sand Invasion. Never mentioned again afterwards.
- Astonishingly Appropriate Appearance: Her facial structure and hair was a dead ringer for Hashirama Senju, the First Hokage. Guess which Hokage Orochimaru used her as a host for.
- Dark Action Girl: She don't have body modifications like her partners. Instead, she uses needles that emit paralyzing sounds.
- Didn't See That Coming: Along with her Hoist By Her Own Petard below, she's so focused on Shikimaru she doesn't know where she's positioned. When Shikamaru forces her to throw her knife (as he does likewise) and is made to bend over backwards to dodge it. She slams her head into the wall and is K.O'd.
- Hoist By Her Own Petard: Shikamaru defeated her by using the very thin shadows of the string her bells were attached to to hide his Shadow Possession Technique, allowing him to take control of her body and subsequently knock her out.
- Not to mention, of course, motivating Sakura to cut the hair she was tugging, which kinda screwed the Sound Trio over...
- Jerkass Has a Point: She calls Sakura on her attention to her looks over her skill. This narrowly avoids being hypocritical because, while she has long hair herself, she still clearly took her job as a kunoichi more seriously at the time.
- Jerkass: She's a total bitch to Sakura and her opponents.
- The Kirk
- Rapunzel Hair: Her black hair almost reaches the ground.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: To Sakura, calling her out on not being a proper kunoichi.
- Sonic Stunner: Through her bells.
- Unwitting Pawn: Guess who to.
Voiced By: Daisuke Egawa (JP) John De Mita (EN), Diego Armando Nieves (Latin America)Dosu fights using his Melody Arm, a special attachment which, when struck, causes painful resonation within the body. Since the inner ear is used for balance, it's quite devastating. In the Chunin Exams, he fights Chouji, who attempts to avoid his Melody Arm by curling up into a ball. It's to no avail as, thanks to the body being mostly water, it makes an excellent conductor of sound. After he advances, he decides he'll have a better shot at fighting Sasuke by killing the Uchiha's opponent, Gaara. Naturally, this fails, and he dies.
- Affably Evil: He's less brutal and belittling than either Kin or Zaku, and is generally more soft-spoken and polite towards his opposition.
- Arc Villain: Only appears in the Chunin Exams and is never mentioned afterwards.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Dosu's fight with Choji in the Chunin Exams. Choji rolls into a wall and Dosu finishes him off with his sound waves.
- Dropped a Bridge on Him: Killed off while trying to kill Gaara so that he can face Sasuke more easily.
- Evil Genius/The Leader: For his team, seeing that Zaku and Kin defer to him for advice or information.
- The Faceless: His face is covered in wrappings except for one eye.
- Genius Bruiser: Has a good grasp of how to take advantage of his opponents' weak spots, and even realizes that Orochimaru is using the Sound Genin.
- Genre Savvy: But it wasn't enough to survive...
- Primal Stance: He tends to hunch over a lot.
- Sonic Stunner: His melody arm which can cause extreme disorientation without even striking the opponent.
- The Spock: Out of the psychopaths that make up the Sound Team, he's the most sane.
- Unwitting Pawn: He actually figured it out when he thought of how Orochimaru had placed a Curse Seal on Sasuke, whom they were ordered to kill. Unfortunately...
- Worf Effect: After being set up as a fairly strong and mean ninja, he tries to ambush Gaara in the night. At the end, his body and a portion of the roof he's on is torn to shreds. While we only see the outcome, the 'fight' serves to foreshadow just what kind of powers Gaara has.
- Wrong Genre Savvy: When he tried to whittle down the opposition so he'd more likely fight Sasuke, he figured he'd go straight for Sasuke's opponent. Not only would he have had a better chance if he'd tried whittling them down instead, but he wasn't aware of Gaara's being a demon container, and he paid the price for it.