Characters: Naruto - Hidden Sound Village
aka: Naruto-Hidden Sound Village
Here be spoilers. Any thing that has not been aired on the free versionnote of Crunchyroll should be spoiler-tagged.Back to the main character index
open/close all folders
Voiced by: Nobutoshi Canna
(JP), Henry Dittman (EN), Moisés Ivan Mora (Latin America), Ricardo Escobar (Spain)
As a young child, Kabuto was orphaned in the Great Ninja War. Konoha's Head of Medical Corps took pity on him, taking him in and teaching him medicine. This is revealed to be a cover given to him by Orochimaru. He was actually taken in by an orphanage run by Nonou Yakushi, a former Root member who he considered his mother. He joined Root to supply the orphanage with money, but was eventually attacked by and forced to kill Nonou, who Danzo had tricked intending for them to kill each other, causing him to cross the Despair Event Horizon. Orochimaru found him and took him in, offering him a new identity in exchange for his allegiance, which Kabuto accepted.
At some point in the past, he started working for Sasori on Orochimaru's orders
, who erased part of his memory to make him a sleeper agent
. Then, when Orochimaru defected from Akatsuki, he broke the memory seal, and Kabuto became Orochimaru's follower
In combat, Kabuto uses medical techniques that he repurposed for combat. His main technique is the Ninja Scalpel, which can sever the strongest muscles with great ease. This, combined with his love of torture, makes him an especially dangerous opponent.
Kabuto shows up in the first series during the Chunin Exams; at first, he appears to be a good guy, helping Naruto's team make it to the finish. Later, it's revealed he's spying on Naruto and Sasuke. After this revelation, he (while disguised as an ANBU) heals Hinata's rather severe internal injuries even though he gained absolutely nothing by doing so (and was healing somebody who could literally see right through his mask if she woke up). He plays a bit of a bigger role in the Search for Tsunade arc, where he engages Tsunade in battle. Though she has her Super Strength
to fall back on, he quickly finds a way around it, beating her. Fortunately, Naruto saves her and is more than willing to demonstrate his new Rasengan on Kabuto, doing more damage than even he can heal and motivating Tsunade to beat the tar out of Orochimaru.
, he shows up in the second arc. Later, after Orochimaru dies, he has something of an existential crisis and integrates some of Orochimaru's DNA into his body. He feels that he needs to prove his strength by overpowering the growth in his body, but appears to be failing... until he shows back up even later with some new Orochimaru-esque powers and allies himself with Tobi. Several of these new abilities are shown off when he battles the shinobi guarding the two remaining jinchuuriki, managing to nab Yamato in the process. He then proceeds to resurrect almost every deceased character in the Narutoverse and then some, including the jinchuriki, Akatsuki, and the real Madara. He is confronted by Itachi and Sasuke, who attempt to stop the Edo Tensei, and reveals he has surpassed Orochimaru by becoming the Snake Sage. He attempts to both capture Sasuke and return Itachi to his control but is snared in Izanami, a powerful genjutsu that traps its victim in a "Groundhog Day" Loop, and is forced to end Edo Tensei by Itachi. Afterwards, Orochimaru, having been revived by Sasuke, reabsorbs his chakra and DNA that was inside Kabuto, returning him to his original appearance.
The Sound Five are Orochimaru's squad of personal bodyguards. They first appear during the Chunin Exam arc, where they prevent anyone from interfering with Orochimaru's fight with the Third Hokage. Their main appearance, though, is in the Sasuke Retrieval arc, where they are sent to escort Sasuke to Orochimaru's lair and serve as the antagonists of the arc. Each of them fights one of the members of the Retrieval team, and all of them are dead by the end of the arc.
Each of them possesses a Cursed Seal, which allows them to transform into more powerful forms
The Sound Five as a whole have examples of:
- Ax-Crazy: Except for Kimimaro. Sakon in particular had to be reminded not to kill Sasuke in their first meeting.
- Barrier Warriors: The Sound Four cast various barrier and sealing jutsu together.
- Chekhov's Gunman: All of them (sans Kimimaro) first appear at the end of the Chunin Exam arc, where they don't do much aside from setting up the barrier jutsu and helping Orochimaru escape. We don't get to see what they can really do until the Sasuke Retrieval Arc.
- Elite Mooks/Quirky Miniboss Squad
- Five-Bad Band: With Orochimaru acting as the Big Bad
- Hero Killer: Every single one of them provides a major threat to the heroes, such that only Shikamaru and Naruto weren't nearly killed by their opponent before killing them/reinforcements showed up. They are among Orochimaru's finest warriors after all.
- Killed Off for Real: All of them, despite all being young.
- Back from the Dead: Kimimaro was resurrected by Edo Tensei in the manga. All of them were in the anime.
- One-Winged Angel: Courtesy of the Curse Mark.
- Kimimaro has one that's stronger than the others.
- Psychos For Hire: Save for Kimimaro.
- Sore Loser: In the anime after Kimimaro defeats them it takes them a while to follow his orders.
- Summon Magic: All of them have a summoning technique (Though Jirobou's is only in the anime)
- Total Party Kill: The Sound Four are wiped out delivering Sasuke Uchiha to Orochimaru in the end, though they ultimately succeed in their mission.
- Trash Talk: They are very fond of this. Even Kimimaro, despite his calm and otherwise polite speech.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Their relationship with each other is ratter volatile, though they still have powerful collaboration techniques when the situation calls for it.
- Younger than They Look: Believe it or not, they are FOURTEEN. Except for Kimimaro who is fifteen. They only look their age in the stock photos we use.
"You get five people together, one of them is always the reject. The guy they keep around for a laugh, and in a pinch, he's always the first to go, a pawn among knights."
Big guy. Constantly berating Tayuya for her foul mouth. The most physically powerful member of the five, but the weakest overall when considering all abilities combined. Hates being called fat, but calls Choji fat constantly in their battle — go figure
He knows lots of Earth-Style jutsu and taijutsu, and can eat other peoples' chakra to strengthen himself. His Cursed Seal form makes him bigger and tougher.
Has Choji on the ropes for most of their fight, but Choji uses a Deadly Upgrade
and kills him in one punch.
- Antagonist Abilities: Of the Energy Absorption variety.
- Bald of Evil: Not completely, though he's lacking in hair nonetheless. He grows a large amount of hair in his second state of his cursed seal.
- Berserk Button: Being called fat.
- Big Guy Fatality Syndrome: He is the first member of the Sound Four to die.
- Boomerang Bigot: Makes fun of Choji for being fat during their fight, despite being fatter than he is.
- The Brute: But a lot smarter than most examples, enough to dish out some serious emotional abuse against Chouji. Not smart enough to realize, however, that dissing Shikamaru was a really bad idea...
- Butt Monkey: Interestingly, he mocks Choji for being the butt of everyone's jokes despite the fact that he's the butt of everyone's jokes. Not to mention, since everyone seems aware he is the weakest of the five, they tend to remind him that fairly often.
- Containment Field: He could make one out of earth and combine it with his Energy Absorption too. In the anime, it was actually shown to be deadly.
- Dishing Out Dirt: He is very proficient at earthbending jutsus.
- Even Evil Has Standards: When Shikamaru (who was not actually intending to do so) asks to only let himself out of his Earth Dome Prison rather than any of his comrades, he tells him that he deserves to die for wanting to do such a thing.
- Evil Redhead
- Energy Absorption: This is Jirobo's specialty, and one of his most powerful abilities.
- Fat Bastard
- Golem: He can summon one in the anime and it shares his Energy Absorption powers.
- Hypocrite: In several aspects, he's an Evil Counterpart to Choji.
- Irony: See Butt Monkey.
- Life Energy: He can eat chakra to regain strength.
- Mighty Glacier: Though the physically strongest member of the group, he is also the slowest. This is one of the reasons why he is considered by the rest of the Sound Four to be their weakest member.
- One-Winged Angel: Becomes even bigger, grows more hair, has his skin turn red, and grows wart-like portrubences, causing him to resemble an ogre.
- Power Makes Your Hair Grow: The second stage of his cursed seal.
- Stout Strength
- Super Strength: He is able to lift a giant Choji in his second stage of his cursed seal.
The weakest one in the game always goes down first!
Spider guy. Has four extra arms. Sort of dark skinned
. Does whatever a spider can...and more. Can produce both regular webs and golden ones which instantly harden to become harder than steel. In the Japanese version, always talks as if battles are some sort of Real-Time Strategy
game. A good strategist, though — is able to determine Neji's weakness merely by watching him fight for a while.
Can instantly forge weapons using his webs, including a bow-and-arrow with tremendous destructive potential. Has a personal summon; a spider who can instantly create hundreds of smaller ones. His Cursed Seal form makes him more spiderlike.
Nearly kills Neji, but Neji manages to turn the tables on him at the last minute.
- Arachnid Appearance and Attire: 8 members, check; can make web, check; has a spider for summon, check. He even gets a Third Eye when in One-Winged Angel form.
- Ambiguously Brown
- Antagonist Abilities
- Multi-Armed and Dangerous: Tayuya once calls him an octopus, but this is otherwise never mentioned nor discussed in-universe.
- Always Accurate Attack: In his Level Two form, he can make sure that his arrows never miss. Neji was only able to redirect the arrow away from his heart to avoid an instant kill.
- Long-Range Fighter: After going Level 2, Neji never even gets to see him until he is given the opportunity for a finishing blow, though his vulnerability to a close-ranged assault helps him counteract this.
- Archer Archetype: He fits the intellectual aspects and is a composed fighter but like everyone in the group he is an unrepentant sadist.
- Awesomeness by Analysis: He's able to figure out the effects and limitations of several of Neji's techniques just by watching how he reacts.
- Evil Genius: It takes Kidoumaru about five minutes to figure out the weakness in the Hyuuga Clan's much-vaunted Absolute Defense, and another two minutes to exploit it and bring Neji to his knees.
- Giant Spider: Summons one in Level Two, and it reproduces. Sleep tight, arachnophobes...
- Glass Cannon: He's an effective ranged combatant, but falls after Neji's first successful Gentle Fist assault on him.
- Instant Armor: By secreting golden spider silk from his sweat glands.
- Multi-Ranged Master: Archery is his speciality.
- One-Winged Angel: Becomes even more spider-like, grows horns, and has his hair turn white and grow.
- Power Dyes Your Hair
- Power Makes Your Hair Grow: Into an Afro, no less.
- Spontaneous Weapon Creation: He can create weapons like throwing knives and a bow and arrow them out of a specialized spider silk from his mouth.
- The Strategist: And thinks killing people is fun, like an RTS game. Remember that he's fourteen years old.
- Third Eye: Helps his accuracy.
- Wrong Genre Savvy: Told Neji that it's the destiny of minor characters to be removed from the game first. Too bad he didn't realize he was the minor character...
Sakon and Ukon
"I agree. I think the two of usnote can tear this Leaf shinobi apart."
Two members for the price of one. They share the same body most of the time, and are basically the same in terms of personality — the only real difference is that Sakon is a showboat who likes to toy with his opponents, while Ukon likes to end things quickly.
With their unique kekkai genkai, Ukon is able to spend most of his time sleeping in Sakon's body, but can emerge to give Sakon extra arms or legs to work with, or can separate entirely. They can also merge with their opponents to destroy the enemy's body from the inside. Their Cursed Seal form is a two-headed ogre — when they split in this form, half of their body is covered in spikes. Overall, Sakon is the most powerful of the group besides Kimimaro, making him generally the default leader.
They tangle with Kiba and Akamaru in a two-on-two fight, but are eventually killed by Kankuro's puppet combinations.
- Antagonist Abilities: They're a Body Snatcher that can destroy their opponent from the inside.
- Bishounen: A strange, creepy version. They're even described as fox-like.
- Brains and Brawn: To a degree. Sakon handles the physical stuff, while Ukon deals with the possession jutsu and other mental aspects of fighting.
- Body Horror: Not only are they living in each others' bodies, they can go into other people's bodies to kill them. It's ...freaky◊.
- Creepy Twins
- Cool Gate: The Rashumon Gates that they summon.
- The Dragon / The Starscream: To Kimimaro. They're the strongest members after him, act as the leader in the latter's absence, and really don't seem to like him.
- Eleventh Hour Ranger: Ukon's unexpected presence (and existence) very nearly led to Kiba's death at the twins' hands.
- Fusion Dance: Their main skill is using their ability to fuse their bodies with each other and their opponents.
- Grand Theft Me: Ukon can take control of his enemy's body and slowly kill them, but is hurt when the target is hurt, too.
- Healing Factor: Due to their cellular based powers.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: Kankuro kills them both in this manner.
- Multi-Armed and Dangerous: The dormant body was able to lend the dominant one its arms and legs which gave them very versatile taijutsu skill.
- One-Winged Angel: Turns into a demonic looking pair of ogres, with fangs, claws, Spikes of Villainy, and one arm and leg that are grossly larger and more deformed than the other.
- Real Men Wear Pink: Both brothers wear blue lipstick.
- Sissy Villain: A subversion: he's pretty and wears a lot of makeup, but his mannerisms are anything but feminine, and he's a violent, unapologetic sadist to boot.
- Though Tayuya does call him a "fairy".
- Spikes of Villainy: In One-Winged Angel form.
- Wham Shot: After Shikamaru has captured the Sound Four in his shadow jutsu, you can see that the head sticking out of his back is gone. Moments later, Ukon attacks the group, forcing Shikamaru to dispel the jutsu and enabling the Sound Four to get the upper hand.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
The only female
. Redheaded Dark Action Girl
. Very rude. In combat, she uses a flute to order around three huge demons
. Her Cursed Seal form is a five-horned demon-like creature with brown skin. Fights Shikamaru to a draw, but is killed by Temari.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: Her hair is more pink than red in the manga
- Antagonist Abilities: Mind Manipulation via illusion.
- Brown Note: While playing a melody on her flute, Tayuya can create an illusion that her opponent is strung up by wires while the skin starts to melt off their bones.
- Cluster F-Bomb: In some translations.
- Cute Monster Girl: Her level two curse transformation is much less monstrous and ugly than the others. Some think she even looks better.
- Dark Action Girl: Is more than capable of fighting both physically and tactically, at one point decking Naruto in the face hard enough to send him flying.
- Dark Chick: Of the Sound Five.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Evil Redhead
- Fiery Redhead
- Flunky Boss: Her main method of fighting is controlling three demonic creatures with her flute.
- Godiva Hair: When Kabuto makes a naked manifestation of her protrude from his body.
- Lady of War: She fights from long-range by playing a flute.
- Long-Range Fighter: She uses her flute and her Doki to attack her enemies from a distance.
- Master of Illusion: Tayuya is shown to be skilled at genjutsu.
- Musical Assassin: Her flute is heavily utilized in her fighting style.
- Number Two: To Sakon, being the second most-powerful of the group until Kimimaro shows up.
- One-Winged Angel: A demon girl with multiple horns and very creepy eyes.
- Summon Magic: Summons Youkai demons based on the Monkey Morality Pose.
- Super Strength: Not nearly as profound as Jirobo's, but she was able to break free of Shikamaru's shadow techniques once she activated the second stage of her cursed seal.
- Playing Against Type: In Latin-America, she's voiced by Sakura. The REALLY famous one.
- Rose-Haired Sweetie: Pink-haired? Yes. Sweetie? HELL NO!
- The Strategist: During her fight with Shikamaru, her defensive position with her summoned demons is done so well that Shikamaru admits that she's almost as good at thinking and strategics as he is.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: Tends to be the one heaping on verbal abuse of her teammates, and doesn't seem to enjoy working with her squad...although there may be a reason for her conduct: when Shikamaru catches them up while impersonating Jirobo, Tayuya immediately throws off a string of abusive remarks, and she, Kidoumaru, and Sakon instantly caught on on to the deception when Shikamaru-as-Jiroubou just takes her abuse without complaint.
- Worthy Opponent: Considers Shikamaru this in their battle, and vice-versa.
The strongest member by far. The last member of a clan of Blood Knights
who were killed off after attempting to revolt against the Hidden Mist Village. Taken in by Orochimaru, who he idolizes. He was originally supposed to be Orochimaru's next vessel, but he contracted a terminal illness (likely tuberculosis), which prevented this. The others didn't want him to join, but as he was stronger than them all combined, they didn't have much of a choice.
He has a kekkai genkai which allows him to control the growth of his bones, which are harder than steel. He can cause them to protrude from his body as Spikes Of Doom
, or remove them from his body entirely to use as weapons. (They evidently grow back instantaneously.) This reaches squicky
levels at times, for example when he pulls out his own spine to use as a weapon. His Cursed Seal form is a dinosaur-like creature.
Fights Naruto, then Rock Lee, and then Gaara. He beats the first two without much difficulty, but is nearly buried alive by Gaara. He manages to break free (which should have been physically impossible), but succumbs to his illness before he can land the killing blow.
Kabuto later resurrects him with Edo Tensei, but he is made dead again with Itachi's intervention.
- Affably Evil: Polite if not outright nice to his opponents, lets Lee take his medicine mid-fight and even praises his opposition.
- Alas, Poor Villain: In-universe after his death, Rock Lee and Gaara had a talk about how unfortunate he was. See Tragic Villain below.
- Alliterative Name
- Anatomy Arsenal: His power
- Anti-Villain: The Noble type.
- Asskicking Equals Authority: When it comes to the Sound 5.
- Back from the Dead]]: With Kabuto's mass Edo Tensei, he's baaaack, but is made dead again before he could do anything major.
- Badass: Fights successive one-on-one battles with Naruto, Lee (admittedly not fighting at his best), and Gaara. Only the last of the three actually manages to seriously harm him, and even then Kimimaro only lost because he was already terminally ill before the fight ever started.
- Handicapped Badass: And considering how the Four were able to handle shinobi of Chunin and Jounin level, it is not likely to boast that he would have been the strongest person below Orochimaru and face off against foes of even a Kage caliber
- Bad with the Bone: His power
- Berserk Button: Gaara was nearly killed for insulting his belief in Orochimaru.
- Body Horror: His power to control his bones can become this. At one point, he rips out his own spine to use as a whip.
- Convenient Terminal Illness: Reason why Orochimaru can't use him as a host.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Kimimaro was referred to as the most powerful member of the Kaguya clan, having abilities that even his war-loving clan feared. Because of this, he was locked away in a cage for most of his life, only released occasionally when needed to fight other clans. Once his clan was exterminated, he only found value in his life following Orochimaru.
- Determinator: His illness was well into it's final stages before he set out to retrieve Sasuke, and he keeps on fighting until the moment of his death.
- Dance Battler: His attacks are all named "_____ no Mai" (Dance of the ____), and involve dance-like movements with his bones jutting out.
- The Dragon: Leader of the Sound Five, and one of Orochimaru's best followers. May have been Co-Dragons with Kabuto pre-illness. If you count the anime, then both Kimimaro and Kabuto shared this role with Guren.
- Drama-Preserving Handicap: He is practically invulnerable to any sort of damage, constantly emerging unscathed from Gaara's attacks that would crush anyone else like a grape. So, of course, he has a Convenient Terminal Illness that ultimately kills him right when he is about to stab Gaara.
- Expy: His relationship with Orochimaru is quite reminiscent of Zabuza and Haku's.
- Which is made apparent in episode 126 of part one. When he runs into the two just before he meets Orochimaru for the first time, when his clan attacks the hidden Mist Village.
- Facial Markings: Like all members of the Kaguya clan, two points on the forehead, which are based on a fashion of ancient Japanese noblemen.
- Honor Before Reason: He doesn't kill a defenseless Rock Lee when Lee asks him to hold on so he can take his medicine, even though he has plenty of opportunities. It costs him.
- Implacable Man: He was ill at the time which makes it even more impressive as a pre-time skip Gaara was barely able to slow him down.
- Last of His Kind: The last living Kaguya.
- Let's Fight Like Gentlemen: During his fight with Rock Lee, Lee stops him for a few moments by...telling him to wait and let him take his medicine, as he had just recovered from major surgery. Kimimaro abides.
- Lightning Bruiser: Of the hard-hitting speedster variety.
- Lovecraftian Superpower: He can manipulate bones through the use of chakra to the degree that he can pull out his spine and use it as whip.
- Mean Boss: Despite his honourable qualities, he treats the Sound 4 like dirt. Even threatening to kill Tayuya because they didn't bring Sasuke to Orochimaru on time and once beating Kidomaru to near death. In the anime, he beat the crap out of all 4 of them when he declared himself leader.
- Nigh-Invulnerability: Highly durable due to his manipulation of his bone structure and he is able to No Sell the crushing pressure of Gaara's Dessert Funerals.
- One-Winged Angel: Bones jut out completely, hair colour and eye colour changes, and he gets even faster and more Nigh Invulnerable.
- Only One Name: In spite of being from the Kaguya clan, the databooks say his name is only "Kimimaro".
- The Pawn: The sad truth he couldn't accept.
- Pet the Dog: He was empathetic and kind to Jūgo, being one of the few people able to keep Jūgo from losing control over himself. He even visited Jūgo a last time before setting out to retrieve Sasuke.
- Relationship Voice Actor: He tangles with the Liam O'Brien-voiced Gaara. Hmm...
- Required Secondary Powers: He appears to have a Healing Factor, given that his body should be a mess after all the bones he removes.
- Spikes Of Doom: Many of his moves, particularly Dance of the Larch, involve sprouting bones from his body to impale him.
- Spontaneous Weapon Creation: Out of his bones. With it he could make a swords, Blade Below the Shoulder, a Whip and a giant spearhead.
- The Last Dance: Fights Naruto, Rock Lee and Gaara to ensure Orochimaru gets his new vessel.
- The Stoic: Compared to his wild partners
- Sycophantic Servant: To Orochimaru.
- Token Good Teammate: While not a saint, he's a great deal more honorable than his whole team and is one to his entire clan of Ax-Crazy
- Token Heroic Orc: While not a saint, he's this to his clan.
- Tragic Villain: A Deconstruction of Undying Loyalty. He only found purpose serving someone who didn't care about him at all.
- Undying Loyalty: Under Orochimaru, Kimimaro found purpose in his life as he desired to ensure the continuation of his master's dreams and ambitions. Though Orochimaru took him under his wing to become his future vessel, Kimimaro did not mind such a fate if it meant being of aid to his master.
- Villainous Valour: A common trait of important villains. He genuinely cares about Orochimaru and Kabuto, and is such a Determinator Rock Lee can barely believe it.
- White Hair, Black Heart: He belongs to a violent and Ax-Crazy clan.
Zaku fights using special pipes in his arms which allow him to channel wind with destructive force. As a child, he was a thief at his village who faced punishment from the authorities. Orochimaru saw what he liked in the boy (no, not like that—probably), and recruited him. In the Chunin Exams, he fights Shino, who beats him by plugging up his arm holes with bugs. He then is used as a human sacrifice to revive one of the Hokages.
Kin is a long-haired Dark Action Girl
who fights using strings attached to bells, which are then used to hypnotize and disorient her opponents (although in the manga they simply served to distract the opponent while she threw more needles at them). She and her companions attempt to kill Sasuke under Orochimaru's orders and she's the one who holds Sakura hostage, which drives her to her Important Haircut
. Later, she fights Shikamaru in the Chunin Exams, who demonstrates his superior strategic thinking by sliding his shadow under one of her strings, then forcing her to knock herself out. She's then used as a human sacrifice.
- Alas, Poor Villain: Invoked by Sarutobi, who is disgusted at the disregard Orochimaru has for his subordinates' lives.
- Arc Villain: Only appears during the Chunin Exams, and briefly as a corpse during the Sound-Sand Invasion. Never mentioned again afterwards.
- Astonishingly Appropriate Appearance: Her facial structure and hair was a dead ringer for Hashirama Senju, the First Hokage. Guess which Hokage Orochimaru used her as a host for.
- Dark Chick
- Didn't See That Coming: Along with her Hoist By Her Own Petard below, she's so focused on Shikimaru she doesn't know where she's positioned. When Shikamaru forces her to throw her knife (as he does likewise) and is made to bend over backwards to dodge it. She slams her head into the wall and is K.O'd.
- Hoist By Her Own Petard: Shikamaru defeated her by using the very thin shadows of the string her bells were attached to to hide his Shadow Possession Technique, allowing him to take control of her body and subsequently knock her out.
- Not to mention, of course, motivating Sakura to cut the hair she was tugging, which kinda screwed the Sound Trio over...
- Jerkass Has a Point: She calls Sakura on her attention to her looks over her skill. This narrowly avoids being hypocritical because, while she has long hair herself, she still clearly took her job as a kunoichi more seriously at the time.
- The Kirk
- Rapunzel Hair
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: To Sakura, calling her out on not being a proper kunoichi.
- Sonic Stunner: Through her bells.
- Unwitting Pawn
Voiced By: Daisuke Egawa (JP) John De Mita (EN)
Dosu fights using his Melody Arm, a special attachment which, when struck, causes painful resonation within the body. Since the inner ear is used for balance, it's quite devastating. In the Chunin Exams, he fights Chouji, who attempts to avoid his Melody Arm by curling up into a ball. It's to no avail as, thanks to the body being mostly water, it makes an excellent conductor of sound. After he advances, he decides he'll have a better shot at fighting Sasuke by killing the Uchiha's opponent, Gaara. Naturally, this fails
, and he dies
- Affably Evil: He's less brutal and belittling than either Kin or Zaku, and is generally more soft-spoken and polite towards his opposition.
- Arc Villain: Only appears in the Chunin Exams and is never mentioned afterwards.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Dosu's fight with Choji in the Chunin Exams. Choji rolls into a wall and Dosu finishes him off with his sound waves.
- Dropped a Bridge on Him: Killed off while trying to kill Gaara so that he can face Sasuke more easily.
- Evil Genius/The Leader: For his team, seeing that Zaku and Kin defer to him for advice or information.
- The Faceless: His face is covered in wrappings except for one eye.
- Genius Bruiser: Has a good grasp of how to take advantage of his opponents' weak spots, and even realizes that Orochimaru is using the Sound Genin.
- Genre Savvy: But it wasn't enough to survive...
- Primal Stance: He tends to hunch over a lot.
- Sonic Stunner: His melody arm which can cause extreme disorientation without even striking the opponent.
- The Spock: Out of the psychopaths that make up the Sound Team, he's the most sane
- Unwitting Pawn: He actually figured it out when he thought of how Orochimaru had placed a Curse Seal on Sasuke, whom they were ordered to kill. Unfortunately...
- Worf Effect: After being set up as a fairly strong and mean ninja, he tries to ambush Gaara in the night. At the end, his body and a portion of the roof he's on is torn to shreds. While we only see the outcome, the 'fight' serves to foreshadow just what kind of powers Gaara has.
- Wrong Genre Savvy: When he tried to whittle down the opposition so he'd more likely fight Sasuke, he figured he'd go straight for Sasuke's opponent. Not only would he have had a better chance if he'd tried whittling them down instead, but he wasn't aware of Gaara's being a demon container, and he paid the price for it.