Video Game / Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm Revolution
Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm Revolution
is a videogame, being the sequel to Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 3
. It is a part of the Naruto
franchise's Naruto: Ultimate Ninja: Storm
subseries developed by CyberConnect2
. The game was released on the PlayStation 3
and Xbox 360
consoles in September 2014, as well as on PC (Steam
). It was first announced
in Shonen Jump
on November 27, 2013. The game features 118 playable characters
, including a new roster addition drawn by Masashi Kishimoto
himself. Rather than continue the 4th Ninja War arc and follow the plot of the anime or manga, the game consists of a series of mini-episodes detailing the backstories of certain characters, as well as a filler
"Ninja World Tournament" arc.
New to this this entry in the series are new types of specific battle systems, 3 in total: A version where a character can only use Ultimate Jutsus (including the new Team based ultimate jutsus), another where a character can only use awakening actions (now expanded to two awakenings instead of just one) and another where the character can only use all support type moves. Also new is a special tournament mode, with it's own story arc made specifically for the game, with Mecha Naruto having a role, in which one player fights 3 other CPU's at the same time.
Is to be followed by the last storm game, Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 4
, in 2016, rst announced for PS4
, later revealed to be on both Xbox One
Tropes the game provides include:
- Arm Cannon: Mecha Naruto has miniguns in its arms as well as Finger Firearms.
- Badass Boast: A lot of characters do that when they enter True Awakening Mode.
Iruka: Look how an academy teacher fights seriously!
Hidan: This is gonna hurt A LOT, prepare yourself!
Pain: Pain to the world!
Madara: Let me teach you true fear!
Neji: There's nothing I can't see through!
- Battle in the Center of the Mind: With Ino's help, Naruto and Hinata enter Mecha Naruto's mind to free him from KYUBI-Mode's control.
- Bilingual Bonus: Mecha Naruto has the number 7610 on his forehead. If you split it up as 7-6-10, these numbers can be read in Japanese as Na, ryu and tou, which sounds nearly identical to Naruto.
- But Thou Must: In the Ninja World Tournament during the Ally Event with Deidara and Sasori, you have to say they're both weak, or the one who you didn't say was better will keep fighting you until you pick that option (and saying both are strong will just make them throw the question at you again), though you will need to fight them both at once one last time before they join.
- Call Back: In the English version, Mecha-Naruto shouts Naruto's old catchphrase, "Believe it!", after firing his Naruto Beam. Does it too with "Dattebayo" in the japanese version, but regular Naruto never stopped using it.
- Comeback Mechanic: Lessened in regards to the predecessors, True Awakening can be used if you play well and lose a minimum of life. Likewise if you spend your battle as a punching bag, you will likely die before you can use True Awakening.
- Colon Cancer: Again, like a few of its predecessors, the title manifests as Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja: Storm: Revolution, again with the optional colon that can be situated prior to the term Shippuden.
- Minato does it with his techniques names with over long and convoluted names like "Flying Raijin: Jiku Shippu Senko Rennodan Zeroshiki"
- Combination Attack: Revolution introduces "Combination Ultimate Jutsu", where certain fighter/support configurations can use signature combo attacks.
- Covers Always Spoil: While the original cover◊ had Tobi wearing his War Mask, the updated cover◊ reveals his identity as Obito Uchiha while also showing the Edo Tensei Hokage, Minato's Nine Tailed Chakra Mode, and Sakura's Strength of a Hundred Seal.
- Counter Attack: Finally makes its entrance, using this ability you can stop and stun any opponent who tries to hit you with a basic combo attack or a guard crush, resulting in said opponent being unable to sub out of your incoming attack and to call supports for backup at the price of 1/4 of the chakra bar itself, it does not consume chakra per se.
- Does Not Like Shoes: Sakura◊, Hinata◊, Ino◊, and Tenten◊ go barefoot in their summer clothes.
- Dualvertisement: With Cryptozoic Entertainment. Upon release, copies of the game came with a Character card for the Naruto Shippuden Deck-Building Game while that game came with a coupon for Revolution.
- Enemy Mine: In the trailer for Mecha Naruto, the real Naruto teams up with Sasuke to defeat the mechanized menace.
- Expy: Word Of God is that Mecha Naruto is an expy of Mechagodzilla.
- Flash Step: All of the ninja can do this, but special mention goes to newcomer Shisui Uchiha.
- Four Is Death: Coinciding with how "4" and "9" are unlucky numbers in Japan, Mecha Naruto's KYUBI-Mode includes the number "9999" (four nines) on its headband.
- "Freaky Friday" Flip: Mecha-Naruto pulls one on the real Naruto after becoming angry at how the other villagers were accepting him but not it.
- Frickin' Laser Beams/Eye Beams: "Naruto Beam!"
- Improbable Weapon User: In a game where people use their fists and ninja tools for close combat, Kushina uses... a frying pan.
- Instant Awesome, Just Add Mecha: Mecha Naruto and Mecha Kurama.
- Jerkass: Danzo in the Ninja Tournament continuity. When all villages are gathered for a peaceful tournament, what does he do? Sends spies to the other countries' villages to gather information. He insists with that even after Shisui finds out that no spies were in the Leaf. The recruiting even is stopping the spies and twarting his plans.
- Killer Robot: The beginning of Mecha Naruto's trailer opens with shots of destruction and devastation.
- Legion of Doom: The entirety of the Akatsuki except Zetsu is playable.
- Mundane Made Awesome: The pre-order animation shows us how Itachi cooks. He starts with an Akatsuki-patterned apron and his Sharingan activated. Then it turns out he's The Perfectionist...
- Numbered Sequel: The second Aversion in the Naruto: Ultimate Ninja: Storm subseries, with the first being Generations.
- One-Winged Angel: The two known ones are Naruto's Tailed Beast Mode and Mecha Naruto combining into Mecha Kurama.
- After 4 games, Gaara's awakening has finally been changed to Shukaku.
- And with unmasked Obito's awakening as the Ten Tails second form, and Kurama-link-Naruto's awakening being chakra Kurama, this means that all tailed beasts are playable in this game.
- Real Life Writes the Plot / Author Existence Failure: Unlike all the other Akatsuki pairs, Itachi and Kisame do not get a Combination Ultimate Jutsu; this is likely because Kisame's seiyuu, Tomoyuki Dan, passed away before the game was made.
- Likewise, this is probably the reason why his recruitment is not in the "Creation of Akatsuki" chapter.
- Robot Me: Mecha Naruto, who is stuffed full of enough weapons to make Pain's Asura Path jealous.
- Rocket Punch: More like Rocket Rasengan! Mecha Kurama has a more traditional Rocket Punch.
- Ship Tease:
- Naruto and Hinata have the 'Secret Lovers' title. Yet again. War Hinata and Bijuu Naruto get the "Joined Hands" title instead.
- Mecha-Naruto's whole story mode is basically a huge Ship Tease for Naruto and Hinata.
- Series Continuity Error:
- At the time of Nagato's conversion into Pain, Obito should have been wearing Tobi (the Spiral Zetsu), but in the "Creation of the Akatsuki" plot line in the game he is instead wearing his spiral mask.
- According to the manga, Deidara and Hidan were recruited after Orochimaru's defection, but in the game Hidan is recruited with Orochimaru's assistance immediately following Deidara's recruitment by Itachi. Also, the manga mentions that Hidan was partnered up with Kakuzu because Kakuzu kept killing partners in a fit of a rage, whereas in the game not only was Hidan chosen from the start, the original Akatsuki were only those ten and never had any other members.
- The series implies that when Itachi got the Mangekyo Sharingan, he got it by killing Shisui and with the reveal of the planned Uchiha coup, it was justified. Shisui's story paints a different picture.
- Shout-Out: Mecha Kurama has a Spiral Engine and can turn its arms into drills. Also, its shape seems like a combination from Mazinger Z, Getter Robo, and Gaiking.
- Split Personality Take Over: After Mecha Naruto recovers its memories, its KYUUBI-Mode reactivates and attacks.
- Stock Subtitle: Revolution. Somewhat glaring in that the only seventh-generation home console that is apparently not receiving the game is the Nintendo Wii (whose Code Name was "Nintendo Revolution", causing many Wii games to receive said subtitle).
- This Is a Drill: Mecha Kurama can rotate its hands like drills. Shisui's Susanoo also has a flaming drill for a sword.
- Too Dumb to Live: The scene in the trailer showing how Orochimaru was recruited to Akatsuki shows him lunging at Pain's Deva Path in an attempt to take its Rinnegan. Pain simply blasts him with Shinra Tensei. One has to wonder what Orochimaru expected would happen.
- Taking You with Me: KYUBI-Mode activates Mecha-Naruto's self destruct after being defeated.
- Teleport Spam: Minato, as usual. Taking it Up to Eleven in this game.
- Tournament Arc: Rather than follow the anime's plot line, the main plot of the game aside from the Akatsuki backstory and Kushina interacting with Minato's team is the Ninja Tournament... which is completely non-canon. Although Mecha-Naruto's Story can fit after 3's ending, where Naruto beats Tobi, ends the war, but Tobi escapes with his mask broken and the Great 5 Nations are still united, prepared to stop Tobi whenever he returns.
- Transforming Mecha: Mecha Naruto, who has a three-tailed KYUBI-Mode and can combine with Mecha Kurama as a second Awakening.
- Tsundere: Mecha Naruto's Normal Mode displays this attitude towards Hinata and Naruto.
- This summarizes Obito's relationship with Kushina, making his actions as Tobi all the more tragic.
- Unexpected Character: Mecha Naruto, Shisui Uchiha (Itachiís best friend), Kushina Uzumaki, Nine-Tails Chakra Mode Minato, Konohamaru, and Iruka.
- What If?: The Ninja World Tournament Story mode is a "What if all the Badasses from every part of the continuity meet on amicable terms to decide who the strongest is?" The Mecha-Naruto story is a "What if in this same tournament, Naruto and Hinata found a robotic replica of Naruto?" Also, the game came with a pre-order animation that was "What if Itachi decided to abuse his Mangekyo Sharingan to make Sasuke the perfect sunny-side up eggs?"
- Wave Motion Gun: Mecha-Naruto's Ultimate Jutsu transforms him into a Chakra Cannon.