open/close all folders
- Color-Coded Characters:
- Vivi is represented by the color of blue for femininity and calm. It also is the main color of her father and her paternal grandmother.
- Arthur is represented by the colors yellow and orange, conveying both a sense of warmth and cowardice.
- Mystery's color motif is black and red symbolizing both power and mystery.
- Lewis is represented by shades of magenta for the supernatural and romantic connotations.
- Shiromori's color motif is white a color associated with that of death and the supernatural in Japanese mythology.
- Flower Motifs: Shiromori's flower representing Vivi is a blue orchid, Arthur is a yellow and orange sunflower, Mystery is a red lotus which petals look like nine tails and Lewis is a purple rose.
The Mystery Skulls
The leader of the Mystery Skulls paranormal investigation group.
- A Girl And Her X: A girl and her dog. Mystery's her pet.
- Asian and Nerdy: Japanese horror and mystery enthusiast that works in a store that deals exclusively in horror themed novels and comic books.
- Bequeathed Power: Implied to have been given some kind of psychic ability by witnessing Lewis's death. Would make sense, since they were both apparently very close and Lewis apparently gained incredible supernatural powers at the moment of death.
- Big Eater: Only surpassed by Mystery's appetite.
- But Not Too Foreign: Vivi's mother is American and white, and her father is Japanese.
- Composite Character: She's takes Daphne's role and Velma's appearance.
- Curtains Match the Window: Both are Blue.
- Go Through Me: Vivi tries this to save Arthur from Lewis; it works because unknown to her, the ghost is her now undead boyfriend.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: Vivi is about five foot four compared to the seven foot three Lewis
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Its implied that this has been done to her regarding Lewis' death.
- The Leader: Of the Mystery Skulls, and has the confidence and love of the supernatural to back it up.
- Meganekko: Sweet, spunky and bespectacled.
- Mind-Control Eyes: In "Freaking Out", there's a quick shot of Vivi with pink eyes and a blank expression before she snaps back to her normal excitable self. Later in the video, her eyes glow pink while she's sleeping, which seems to cause the picture of Lewis on Arthur's desktop to disappear.
- Morality Pet: Unknowingly for Lewis.
- Nerd Glasses: Of the half-moon variety, and with bright magenta lenses.
- Nightmare Fetishist: Vivi's initially excited and intrigued when paranormal things started happening around her, even while Arthur and Mystery start to get freaked out. Her profile states horror is her favorite genre.
- Pink Girl, Blue Boy: Inverted. Vivi's associated colors are blue, while Lewis' associated colors are magenta.
- True Blue Femininity: She's blue all over.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Vivi has bright blue hair.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Vivi wears light blue thigh-high socks.
The group's reluctant mechanic.
- Artificial Limbs: Arthur's left arm is robotic because Mystery tore off the original when it was possessed by whatever was in the cave.
- Big Ol' Eyebrows: They're nearly as big as his eyes.
- Black Eyes of Crazy: When he's possessed, his eye's sclera on the corrupted side of his body turns black.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: Possibly. It was clear that he was jealous of Vivi's and Lewis's relationship. It definitely wasn't bad enough for Arthur to want Lewis dead, but his feelings may have made him susceptible to possession.
- Demonic Possession: He was possessed by the green spirit, which cost him his arm and killed Lewis.
- Early Installment Character-Design Difference: Downplayed, Arthur's new character puppet vs his old one. Besides the Art Evolution, there's not much of a change besides the new pin-back buttons.
- Exhausted Eye Bags: In "Freaking Out", either due to the fear and trauma of what happened in "Ghost" or guilt after he'd been confronted with Lewis' vengeful ghost.
- Gadgeteer Genius: He is the one who built his own robotic arm.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: "Freaking Out" implies that he doesn't remember what happened to Lewis, as they are apparently searching for him.
- Lovable Coward: Arthur is the first to freak out and run in the slightest hint of danger - a trait he shares with Shaggy, his inspiration.
- Multicolored Hair: He has a pair of black Idiot Hairs while the rest of his hair is blond and orange.
- My God, What Have I Done?: The part of him that wasn't possessed during the incident was absolutely distraught at causing his best friend's death.
- Nervous Wreck: Deconstructed somewhat. While part of it comes from being a Shaggy counterpart, having killed his friend, possibly suffering Laser-Guided Amnesia and not remembering, losing his arm, being sleep deprived, and seemingly seeing a beloved pet turn into a giant monster can't be helping matters.
- Sanity Slippage: In "Freaking Out", he hallucinates Mystery in his larger kitsune form from lack of sleep (or possibly the trauma/guilt he feels after what happened to Lewis).
- Strong Family Resemblance: He and his uncle Lance are strikingly similar in terms of color scheme, hair, and costume. Hell, even his pet hamster gets in on it!
Vivi's "dog", also a member of the group. Something's up with him.
- Accessory-Wearing Cartoon Animal: Those snazzy teashade sunglasses that he keeps on the bridge of his nose.
- Animalistic Abomination: Possibly; we don't know what he is, but he's definitely no dog.
- Amazing Technicolor Wildlife: He is a "dog" with red and black Spiky Hair.
- Author Avatar: At least partly, he's based off of Mystery Ben's own persona from his pre-Ghost work.
- Ambiguously Evil: It's made very clear there's something dark and ominous about him, but so far he's helped the other protagonists.
- Big Eater: He and Vivi were about to help themselves to massive sandwiches, with Mystery's being far larger than hers.
- Canine Companion: Of Vivi. Or at least, that's what he's moonlighting as right now...
- Dark and Troubled Past: He has a mysterious history before joining the team: "You can't run forever, mutt".
- Goggles Do Nothing: Wears a tiny pair of yellow glasses, though they can't possibly be useful to him.
- Healing Factor: Possibly. At one point in the mansion, the group is attacked by a sword-wielding Animated Armor, the others dodge but Mystery seems to lose his head. Arthur and Vivi are shocked for a moment before Mystery's head pops back up. This may be just due to Rule of Funny, but being a mythical entity, he might really be able to regrow his head.
- Intellectual Animal: Being a Scooby expy, he is a dog that clearly behaves like a human, would likely talk if only the series had any dialogue - and yes, he is more competent than the human protagonists even though they're not aware of it. This is a Justified Trope, since in fact he is not really a dog at all.
- Irony: In mythology, Kitsune have a crippling fear of dogs. So it's rather curious that he'd take the form of one himself.
- Kitsune: He's strongly implied to be a six-tailed kitsune disguised as a dog.
- Meaningful Name: Not only is he the mascot of the Mystery Skulls, but on top of that he is a very mysterious character himself and is not at all what he seems.
- Multiple-Tailed Beast: Mystery's true form has six tails and it is strongly implied that he is a kitsune from Japan.
- Mysterious Past: We know nothing about why Shiromori is chasing him.
- Non-Standard Character Design: While still somewhat stylized, his true form (as revealed in Freaking Out) is drawn with less cartoonish proportions than both his normal form and everyone else.
- Oh, Crap!: Mystery is shown to be very worried when he realizes Shiromori just picked up his trail.
- Really 700 Years Old: Implied. His profile page states his age as "...'7'", clearly concealing something. He is likely far older than any dog could be, and being a magical entity he may even be hundreds of years old.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Mystery has red eyes. It simply appears to be because of his Color Motif being red at first, but later on he's heavily implied to be a Kitsune, and far more in the know than you'd expect. When this is revealed, his eyes glow red.
- Spell My Name with an "S": There was initially some debate over whether his name was Mystery or Ben, though Word of God has since specified that it's Mystery.
- Stealth Pun: Mystery the "dog" is actually a nine-tailed fox spirit, commonly referred to as a kitsune in the West. However, another name for it in the east is kyuubi - nine-tails. Hence, he is Kyuubi-Doo.
A ghost with fire-based powers who antagonizes Vivi, Arthur, and Mystery. He's revealed midway through "Ghost" to have been a former member of the Mystery Skulls and dating Vivi, but he was killed by a possessed Arthur and now seeks Revenge.
- Ambiguously Brown: Before his death. When asked about this, Ben stated that he hasn't decided on his ethnicity yet.
- Anti-Villain: He's genuinely antagonistic towards Arthur, but it's only because he's the one that killed him (sort of) and he'd rather not hurt Vivi.
- Badass in a Nice Suit: Looks pretty good in his new suit.
- Berserk Button:
- Anytime Arthur is present or mentioned due to the fact he murdered him.
- In the sequel animation "Freaking Out", Shiromori learns the hard way that you really shouldn't try to damage Lewis' heart locket.
- Black Eyes of Crazy: When Shiromori gets his attention by scattering the purple flower, he's shown glaring over his shoulder with black sclera.
- Blinding Bangs: In the flashback showing when he was alive and at the end of the video. "Freaking Out" had his picture in the locket changed from having eyes to this, thus confirming that this is how he's shown by default.
- Came Back Strong: A more villainous example. While we weren't given a measure of how strong Lewis was when he was a human, it's probably nothing compared to how strong he is as a ghost.
- Crazy Jealous Guy: Played painfully justified with Lewis, who was murdered by Arthur and is justifiably angry that he accidentally prevented him from reconciling with Vivi. Unfortunately, he is likely not aware that Arthur was Not Himself when he murdered him.
- Curtains Match the Window: Both when he was alive and now as a ghost.
- The Dandy: He is a snazzy dresser in a badass suit. In life, he even favored Awesome Anachronistic Apparel.
- Delinquent Hair: He has a big pink flaming pompadour.
- Dem Bones: Lewis has a floating Skull for a Head and his suit is decorated with rib bones.
- Demonic Possession: Possesses and transforms Rooster's truck in "Freaking Out".
- Doorstop Baby: Though Lewis was older than is normal for this, he still was found by the Peppers on their doorstop, tired and scuffed up.
- Early Installment Character-Design Difference: Downplayed, Lewis' human form has a hook nose and his skin is darker in "Freaking Out" and later music videos.
- Enhanced Punch: His ghostfire-imbued punch could give Captain Falcon a run for his money.
- Et Tu, Brute?: Justified and Deconstructed. Lewis was killed by his possessed friend, Arthur, and now seeks revenge.
- Face–Heel Turn: Before his death, Lewis was a member of the Mystery Skulls, but after he was killed by a possessed Arthur, he now seeks Revenge.
- Flaming Hair: His hair is made of magenta flames, which becomes more apparent when he goes berserk at the end of Ghost.
- Flaming Skulls: His head is a jaw-less skull with magenta flames for hair.
- Floating Limbs: His ghostly skull, minus lower jaw, is floating over his shoulders with no neck.
- Freudian Excuse: See Face–Heel Turn above.
- Genius Loci: The mansion from "Ghost" was a manifestation of his power.
- Gentle Giant: At least he used to be when he was alive. Nowadays, he fits more under Evil Is Bigger.
- Glamour Failure: As a ghost, can appear as he did in life... but there's always something wrong with his eyes when he does. They appear as either Hidden Eyes, or as black pits with brightly glowing irises.
- Glowing Eyelights of Undeath: He has glowing magenta irises floating in the sockets of his skull.
- Happily Adopted: He was found by the Peppers when on their doorstep as a child, and they raised him as one of the family.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: Lewis is about seven foot three compared to the five foot four Vivi.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: Lewis died by being pushed off of a cliff onto stalagmites.
- Love Makes You Crazy: Played straight and painfully justified with Lewis, who was murdered by a possessed Arthur and takes the chance to kill him, and is even more enraged when he prevents him and Vivi from reconciling.
- Memento MacGuffin: The gold locket floating in front of his chest, which contains a photo of him and Vivi. It turns blue and cracks at the end of "Ghost", but repairs and turns gold again when he regains his determination in "Freaking Out".
- The Minion Master: He can apparently summon and command the magenta bed-sheet figure ghosts from his locket and control them.
- Misplaced Retribution: He fully intends to hunt down Arthur and kill him, seemingly unaware that his death wasn't Arthur's call.
- Mysterious Past: Lewis ended up on the Pepper's doorstop as a young boy, and no matter how much the Peppers tried his origins remained a mystery.
- Oh, Crap!: Lewis has a brief moment of shock just before he's run over by Rooster's truck.
- Our Ghosts Are Different: Lewis is a vengeful wraith who is out to kill Arthur for murdering him.
- Pink Girl, Blue Boy: Inverted. Lewis' associated colors are magenta, while Vivi's associated colors are blue.
- Playing with Fire: His main power as a ghost is conjuring magenta flames, which he can use to create explosions.
- Real Men Wear Pink: Lewis' favorite genre of entertainment was Romance and his favorite show was Sailor Moon.
- Reality Warper: Downplayed, Lewis can create and alter objects with his powers to a degree.
- Resurrected Romance: Lewis holds a candle for Vivi because they were lovers before his death.
- Revenge Myopia: Lewis wants to kill Arthur for killing him, even though Arthur was possessed by a green spirit, which forced him to kill Lewis (although it's unknown if Lewis is aware that Arthur was possessed or not).
- Rose-Haired Sweetie: Lewis was described as a nice person in life. But with his thirst for vengeance and his determination to get to the Mystery Skulls, not so much anymore.
- Shirtless Scene: His human form in "Freaking Out" is completely naked when we first see it.
- Skull for a Head: As a ghost, he has a floating skull for a head with no lower jaw.
- Soul Jar: "Freaking Out" has him come out of his locket, implying that this is where his soul is usually contained.
- Super Strength: He is insanely strong, given that he decapitates Shiromori - who in turn is strong enough to crack solid stone with a single punch.
- Technicolor Fire: The mystical fire that Lewis uses is magenta in color, fittingly enough.
- Top-Heavy Guy: He's tall and bulky.
- Villain Protagonist: "Ghost" and "Freaking Out" feature him as a major focus; the former song is from his perspective, and the second part of the latter video is devoted mostly to him resolving to find Vivi and get Revenge on Arthur.
- We Used to Be Friends: With the rest of the Mystery Skulls, especially Arthur.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Lewis had purple hair and now has flaming magenta hair.
??? is the green spirit that possessed Arthur's left arm.
- Amputation Stops Spread: Mystery rips the arm containing it off to stop it.
- Bigger Bad: The one responsible for possessing Arthur and killing Lewis. However, it has no actual role in the present of the video. Probably.
- Black Eyes of Crazy: When it possesses Arthur, it turns his eye's sclera on the corrupted side of his body black. Inhabiting his severed arm, it's grown a black-scleraed eye on the palm of his hand.
- The Cameo: Shows up briefly in "Freaking Out" possessing Arthur's severed arm, crawling out of the cave to parts unknown...
- Demonic Possession: Did this to Arthur's left arm.
- Grand Theft Me: It possessed Arthur and caused him to push Lewis to his death.
- No Name Given: Its profile is only a bunch of question marks.
- Oh, Crap!: In its cameo at the beginning of "Freaking Out", it flinches and scuttles away in alarm when it spots Shiromori.
A supernatural being who stops by the cave where the Mystery Skulls had their fateful investigation. She's not interested in that, though— she's after Mystery.
- Amazing Technicolor Population: She has blue skin.
- The Dreaded: Mystery seems afraid when he senses her presence, and even the green spirit dwelling in Arthur's severed arm hightails it when she shows up.
- Elemental Rock-Paper-Scissors: Judging by the damage a single punch by Lewis inflicted on her, his fire powers may be particularly effective against her plant-like nature, although she can still regenerate even after being burned to a crisp.
- Fangs Are Evil: In addition to her serrated lips, her teeth are shark-like.
- Fast Tunnelling: Her main form of transportation is burrowing through the ground.
- Greater-Scope Villain: She seems to have no ties to the cave or the Green Spirit, and is hunting Mystery for some unexplained reason.
- Green Thumb: She can summon color-themed flowers tied to specific people. The flowers can then be used to track their counterparts by blowing off their petals. Lewis was also able to use the petals of Vivi's flower to repair his locket, implying that they have some other magical properties.
- Handwraps of Awesome: Probably to keep her hands in good condition when she punches stone hard enough to crack it.
- Healing Factor: Regenerated her head and arm after an enraged Lewis punched the former off and burned them to ash.
- Hidden Agenda Villain: There isn't an explanation or a good idea as to why she's hunting Mystery yet.
- Know When to Fold 'Em: In "Freaking Out", she is willing to challenge Lewis to a fight... until he shows his powers in comparison to her scissors. It is unclear if she fled due to feeling outmatched, or whether she felt the flower that would lead to Mystery would be damaged, losing his trail. The way she looks at the flower just before escaping seems to imply the latter, though.
- Light Is Not Good: Shiromori is associated with white and pink, and does not seem to be a nice lady.
- Mysterious Past: We know jack squat about who she is and why she's hunting Mystery.
- Plant Person: She has a bonsai tree growing out of her head and her feet are always submerged in the ground like roots. Parts of her body even revert into dirt when damaged badly enough. She also has the power to form plants out of people's memories of other people.
- Shear Menace: Her weapon of choice is a set of gardening shears with a glaring eye.
- Slasher Smile: Her expression becomes a bit more deranged after she gets a lead on Mystery's location.
- Super Strength: She's far stronger and tougher than a human could ever be, being capable of cracking stone with her fist.
- Sympathetic Magic: Her flowers seem connected to who they represent, and in addition to being used for tracking, they have other effects, like Lewis fixing the locket with petals from Vivi's and Arthur reacting when Lewis stomps on his.
- Meaningful Name: Her name means "white forest" in Japanese, which is appropriate since she is a white-haired tree demon.
- Mystical White Hair: Whatever she is, she definitely is not human.
- White Hair, Black Heart: Has pure white hair and, unlike Lewis, we haven't seen any redeeming reason for what she does. That being said, this is mostly because we know absolutely nothing about her past and her connection to Mystery.
Arthur's uncle, and owner and head mechanic at "Kingsmen Mechanics".
- Old Shame: Don't bring up the fact that he used to be a professional wrestler.
Arthur's pet hamster.
Mr. & Mrs. Pepper
Owners and chefs of the "Pepper Paradiso" restaurant, and Lewis' adoptive parents.
Tropes applying to both
Tropes applying to both
- The Cameo: They and their children (including Lewis) can be seen in the picture Arthur has set as his computer background in "Freaking Out".
- Curtains Match The Windows: Mr. Pepper's eyes are pink like the sides of his hair, and Mrs. Pepper's eyes are dark pink like her hair.
- Multicolored Hair: Mr. Pepper's hair is pale blond with pastel pink sides, and Mrs. Pepper's hair is nearly all dark pink, with one tuft of black.
- Tiny Guy, Huge Girl: Mrs. Pepper is noticeably taller than her husband.
- Unnamed Parent: Only referred to as "Mr. and Mrs. Pepper" by Mystery Ben.
Vivi's family, consisting of her parents and her paternal grandmother.
Vivi's boss at the bookstore "Tomb Tomes"; not even she knows much about Duet.
Vivi's co-worker at "Tomb Tomes", and completely obsessed with obscure manga.
- Geek: Usually shows up for work in full cosplay gear.
- Nerd Glasses: They shine even when the rest of her face is in shadows.
- Nightmare Fetishist: Wants to join Vivi's paranormal investigations to get an undead boyfriend.
- The Team Wannabe: Wants to join the Mystery Skulls, but Vivi refuses to let her out concern that she's not old enough.