open/close all folders
DC CharactersHere we're going to list the tropes that only/mostly apply to the game. For the other tropes, check their sheets.
The Flash (Bartholomew Henry "Barry" Allen)
- "Listen, I don't know what happened. I just... felt this rage... It overwhelmed me, I couldn't stop myself."— To Batman in Chapter 2 of the DC sideVoiced by: Taliesin JaffeAfter a freak laboratory accident, police chemist Barry Allen was given the powers of superspeed and took on the crimson costume of the Flash. Able to travel at nearly the speed of light, The Flash can also vibrate through most obstacles and has been known to phase into entirely different realities.
- A Day in the Limelight: He is the protagonist of chapter 1 of the DC side.
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: Shortly after subduing Deathstroke, he responds to a call from the Justice League HQ stating that he's "just went three rounds with Deathstroke."
- Neck Lift: Uses it on Kano when the Rage takes him over.
- Psychic Link: With Liu Kang in his arcade ending.
- Rapid-Fire Fisticuffs: He's almost the only character in the game who can rack up to 14 hits in a single combo. Oh, and his "Flashy Beatdown" Heroic Brutality involves him not only using this, but also Rapid Fire Bicycle Kicks.
- Spam Attack
- Super Speed: As several specials. His "Whirlwind Slam" Heroic Brutality involves creating a tornado with it to levitate his opponent.
- Kano has some difficulties trying to use his Eye Beams on him in the first chapter of the DC side.
Batman (Bruce Wayne)
- "Your world is invading mine, affecting everything and everyone in it. Don't think you can take me so easily."— To Sub-Zero in the fourth chapter of the MK side.Voiced by: David GazzanaWhen his parents were gunned down in front of him, young Bruce Wayne resolved to rid Gotham City of the criminal element that took their lives. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, in addition to mastering martial arts, detective techniques, and criminal psychology. Dressing as a bat to prey on criminals' fears and operating out of his secret Batcave below Wayne Manor, Batman fights crime with the aid of specialized gadgets and vehicles.
- Badass Normal: Defeats all sorts of foes with a combination of martial arts and advanced technology.
- Bat Out of Hell: His "Bat Swarm" Heroic Brutality involves him attaching a sonic device to attract bats to his opponent.
- Chest Insignia: The Bat logo.
- Combat Pragmatist
- Cool Car: The Batmobile, which is used in cutscenes.
- Dark Is Not Evil
- Deadpan Snarker
- I Sense a Disturbance in the Force: He detects more "energy anomalies similar to that of Scorpion's frequency" in the heart of Gotham.
- Precision-Guided Boomerang: His Batarang. There are special variants such as bomb ones.
- Stun Gun: Used on Flash to calm him while he was in rage-mode.Flash: I thought you were the master of hand-to-hand combat.(Cue stun gun)Batman: I am.
- Teleport Spam: One of his normals.
Wonder Woman (Princess Diana of Themyscira/Diana Prince)
- Voiced by: Tara PlattDaughter of Queen Hippolyta of the Amazons, Princess Diana sprung from the mists of Greek mythology. She left the female-only island of Themyscira to travel to "Man's World" as an emissary of peace. Gifted with super-strength and invulnerability, her main tool in crime-fighting is her golden Lasso of Truth. Unbreakable, it forces all captured by it to tell the truth.
- Action Heroine: As the world's best-known female superhero, this is to be expected.
- Everything's Better with Spinning: Some of her attacks.
- Mission Control: In the first two chapters, she is in the JLA headquarters.
- Warrior Princess: Princess of the Amazons and one of the world’s mightiest superheroes.
- Whip It Good: Her lasso.
Green Lantern (Harold "Hal" Jordan)
- Voiced by: Josh PhillipsFighter pilot Hal Jordan was testing an experimental aircraft when he found himself transported into the desert, to the side of a dying alien who gifted him with a glowing ring, which is charged regularly by a green lantern. By taking the ring, Jordan found himself drafted into the Green Lantern Corps, an interstellar police force that assigned him to protect Earth. Jordan can use his ring to conjure up anything he can imagine!
- Barrier Warrior: He can summon a barrier with his ring as one of his specials.
- Brought To You By The Symbol OZ
- Chainsaw Good: His ring creates a saw as the finishing part in the Freefall Kombat.
- Drop the Hammer: One of his specials, and his "Hammer Smash" Heroic Brutality.
- Green Lantern Ring: Trope Namer and the source of his specials, including his two Heroic Brutalities.
Captain Marvel (William Joseph "Billy" Batson)
- Voiced by: Kevin DelaneyYoung Billy Batson was an orphan who wandered into a deep cavern. There he encountered the ancient wizard Shazam, who granted Billy the ability to transform into the hero Captain Marvel. Whenever Billy speaks the name "SHAZAM!", a mystical lightning bolt recreates him as a hero with super-strength, flight, speed, and other powers of mythological heroes. In return he must always fight evil in its form as the Seven Deadly Enemies of Man.
- Difficult, but Awesome: His "Achilles Bolt" has a delay before it can connect. When it does, it sends the opponent flying to the extreme of the screen.
- Lightning Can Do Anything: He uses lightning as a grab (The "Power of Zeus") and it's also involved in his "Ground Slam" Heroic Brutality.
- Look What I Can Do Now!: In his ending, he receives the powers of the Elder Gods.
- Secret Test of Character: In his chapter, he's dragged to the Netherrealm by Shang Tsung, then has to fight against Scorpion, Baraka, and Shang Tsung himself. After he succeeds:Captain Marvel: ''I've had enough of your games, Shang Tsung. I've beaten you and your demons. Now before the combat rage takes over again, Send. Me. Back.Shang Tsung: As you wish.
- Shock and Awe
- Teleport Spam: His "Solomon Escape".
- Theme Naming: All of his six moves are named after the gods/legendary heroes that empower him. (Solomon Escape, Strength of Hercules, Atlas Clap, Power Of Zeus, Achilles Bolt and Mercury Bear Hug)
- Unexpected Character
- — To Deathstroke in the fifth chapter of the DC side.Voiced by: Richard EpcarAn insanely homicidal super-villain, The Joker's white skin, green hair, and blood-red lips belie the chaotic nature underlying his cartoonish appearance. The self-styled "Clown Prince of Crime" has no superpowers, beyond a capacity for incredible violence and a skill at creating deadly mayhem. He frequently concocts elaborate schemes to entrap his arch-nemesis, Batman.
- Badass Normal: Temporarily gets to be an Empowered Badass Normal. Read Took a Level in Badass below for details.
- "Bang!" Flag Gun: He pulls this first in his "Gunshot" fatality, then subverts it by firing a real gun.
- Blood Knight
- Deadpan Snarker
- Electric Joybuzzer: One of his attacks.
- Good Old Fisticuffs
- Improbable Weapon User
- Large Ham
- Psychopathic Manchild
- Stuff Blowing Up: His Surprise Bomb special.
- Took a Level in Badass: Thanks to the whole power fluctancy product of the mere existence of Dark Kahn, he's now able to fight people like Superman on equal footing.
- You Gotta Have Green Hair
Alexander Joseph "Lex" Luthor
- "I never take sides. I choose the lesser of two evils."— To Catwoman in the fourth chapter of the DC side.Voiced by: Joe ThomasOne of the richest and smartest men in the world, Lex Luthor is motivated by bottomless ambition, an egotistical disregard for morality, and an intense hatred of Superman. Using the resources of his financial empire as head of Lex Corp, Luthor has developed a high-tech suit to duplicate some of Superman's abilities. Luthor is obsessed with removing the man he sees as the main obstacle to his rise to absolute power.
- Badass Normal: Has Powered Armor, however, to make up for the lack of superpowers.
- Bald of Evil: Perhaps the iconic example.
- Brought To You By The Letter L: On the chestplate of his armor.
- Armor Makes The Lex Luthor
- Corrupt Corporate Executive
- Expy: His gameplay style is reminiscent of Sektor.
- Homing Projectile: One of his specials involve shooting a missile upwards and said missile locking on his opponent.
- Macross Missile Massacre
- Mighty Glacier
- Moveset Clone: He fights very much like Jax, with some differences, of course.
- Playing with Fire: One of his specials involves a flamethrower.
- Powered Armor
- There Is No Kill Like Overkill: His "Missile Attack" Fatality involves the enemy being devastated by a Macross Missile Massacre.
Superman (Kal-El/Clark Kent)
- Voiced by: Christopher Corey SmithAs the planet Krypton braced for destruction, the infant Kal-El was placed in a rocket ship by his parents and sent into space. Arriving on Earth as the Last Son of Krypton, he was found and raised by Jonathan and Martha Kent on their Kansas farm. Clark Kent manifests the amazing powers of super-strength, flight, and invulnerability under Earth's yellow sun. Instilled with the values of right and wrong, he has taken on the identity of Superman to defend his adopted planet.
- Brought to You by the Letter "S": His Chest Insignia.
- Eye Beams
- Hammered into the Ground: The eponymous "Ground Pound" Heroic Brutality.
- Kryptonite Factor: In addition to his well-known weakness to Kryptonite, he also has a weakness to magic. Since a part of the fusion of both universes is fueled by magic (originated from the MK side), this serves as a Hand Wave as to why Badass Normals can fight him on equal footing.
- To be fair, Superman's weakness to magic is moderately documented in canon sources, yet easy to forget because foes that use it on him are few and far in-between.
- The Narrator: He's in charge of the narration in the beginning of the DC side of the story.
- Superheroes Wear Capes
- Super Strength
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork:Okay, Lex, I'll trust you... for now.
Catwoman (Selina Kyle)
- "No one cages this kitty!"— To Sonya in the second chapter of the MK side.Voiced by: PJ MattsonSelina Kyle operates as a costumed cat burglar in Gotham City, and has a love-hate relationship with Batman. She is able to commit nearly impossible crimes thanks to her athletic prowess, skills with a whip, and seductive wiles.
- Absolute Cleavage
- Badass Normal
- Composite Character: Her outfit is a cross between her 90's black and purple costume and her modern look with the goggles.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Femme Fatale
- Goggles Do Nothing
- Heel–Face Revolving Door: Lampshaded by Flash in the first chapter of the DC side.
- Ms. Fanservice
- Sensual Spandex
- Spy Catsuit
- Whip It Good: Also involved in her "Neck Breaker" Fatality.
- Wolverine Claws: Aside of being part of several of her attacks, Catwoman uses them in her "Claw Attack" fatality.
Deathstroke (Slade Wilson)
- Voiced by: Patrick SeitzSlade Wilson was given enhanced abilities as part of a military experiment, and has such confidence in his skills as a mercenary and assassin that his chosen costume highlights the fact that he only has one eye. Adept at both sword and gunplay, his superhuman physical abilities are matched by his tactical genius and his facility for manipulating both allies and enemies alike.
- Voiced by: Perry BrownA ruthless despot, Darkseid rules over the perpetually burning planet known as Apokolips. Obsessed with discovering the "Anti-Life Equation", he plans to use it to complete his quest for absolute power, and rule over all life in the universe. Nearly invulnerable, his powers include the ability to project Omega Beams from his eyes-dark rays with the power to alter, transport, and incinerate everything that he may come into contact with.
- "Through Mortal Kombat, I will conquer all!"— In the "Beginnings" comicbookVoiced by: Perry Brown and Patrick Seitz
- Big Bad
- Composite Character: Has Shao Kahn and Darkseid's powers. It's also reflected on who's voicing him, as Patrick Seitz (the voice of Deathstroke and Scorpion) is also the voice of Shao Kahn.
- Guttural Growler
- Hate Plague: Spread by his mere existence to increase his power and serves as the main justification of why both universes' characters are beating the crap out of each other.
- Humanoid Abomination
- Large Ham
- Literally Shattered Lives: When you defeat him.
- Original Generation
- Power Echoes
- Power Glows
- SNK Boss
- Spikes of Villainy