open/close all folders
- Voiced by: Tom Taylor
When Armageddon was foretold by the Edenian sorceress Delia, she and her husband the protector God Argus put their two sons Taven and Daegon into suspended sleep in order to fight and defeat Blaze when the time comes and prevent Armageddon. However, Blaze's capture by Onaga's holy men forced the younger broter Daegon to be woken up prematurely. Incensed by what was to become of them and the true nature of the quest, Daegon enlisted the help of Shinnok (Who manipulated the Edenian into believing that their parents favored Taven) to kill his parents. Daegon then formed the Red Dragon Clan with the intent of locating Blaze. Through the decades, Daegon used the DNA of his protector dragon Caro to create human/dragon hybrid soldiers, and took the gifts that were meant to aid both him and Taven in their quests.
When Taven eventually awoke, Red Dragon soldiers were repeatedly sent to hound him during his quest, and the two brothers eventually clashed swords prior to the Battle of Armageddon, where Daegon was soundly defeated.
- Ancient Conspiracy: Started one of his own by establishing the Red Dragon Clan.
- Badass Longcoat: Though it appears to be a cape that has been modified to be a coat.
- Bald of Evil
- Big Bad/Big Bad Wannabe: Zigzags between these tropes in that while he is the primary antagonist of Konquest mode and Taven's Archenemy, but he is also merely a pawn that is being used by Shinnok to advance his own goals.
- Cain: To Taven's Abel.
- The Cameo: So far, he has made two additional appearances in the new timeline.
- He appears in Kenshi's Mortal Kombat X ending, and is killed in vengeance by him, Takeda and Taven for murdering Suchin and his own parents.
- Before that, in Mortal Kombat 9 he, along with Kenshi, Frost, Sareena, and Reiko, can be sometimes be seen in the background of The Pit and Shang Tsung's Garden.
- However, he has shown himself in the MKX comics. Being handed the blind swordsman who betrayed your clan to you by an armless Shokan has that kind of effect.
- Counter Attack: Daegon's specialty is dodging out of the way of an enemy's strikes to deliver his own.
- Cult: The Red Dragon is described as such in the tie-in Comics to Mortal Kombat X.
- Dual Wielding
- Embarrassing Nickname: Originally named "Doug."
- Evil All Along: At least in Taven's eyes.
- Goatee Of Evil
- Good Scars, Evil Scars: Evil. Has one over his eye.
- Monochromatic Eye: His right eye.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: Subversion in that he was a decent person prior to being put into suspended animation and only became a villain after being prematurely awakened and subsequently corrupted by Shinnok.
- Self-Made Orphan: Apparently killed Argus and Delia upon awakening because Shinnok told him that they favored Taven over him."So you know. Yes, I killed them. I had to! Lord Shinnok warned me that they had decided to assist you! (...) With the very weapons Father gave us to use against Blaze. And now I will use them to destroy you. Fight!"
- Subverted in his ending, where it is revealed that both of them feigned their deaths, ready to punish Daegon for his misdeeds.
- Spikes of Villainy
- Visionary Villain: Subverted. He goes to such lengths, including the creation of the Red Dragon Clan and seeking to kill his brother or anyone else interested, yet it is for the very simple goal of becoming Edenia's protector god and lacking any other ideological goal. However, the Mortal Kombat X comics do imply that that the portrayal of Daegon in the new timeline will be a straighter example.
- Walking Shirtless Scene
- Voiced by: Phil Ridarelli
As Armageddon drew near, Blaze sounded the call to awaken the participants of the quest set forth by Delia and Argus. Taven was awoken with no knowledge of the true nature of the quest. Taven traversed Earthrealm, meeting various Kombatants and obtaining a sacred set of armor to help him on his quest. Eventually, he encountered Daegon, who was awoken before him and intended to kill him and claim the prize for himself. After traveling through Neatherrealm and Outworld in hopes of finding more answers to his quest, he went to Edenia.
After defeating Scorpion, Taven encountered Daegon again, who revealed that he killed their parents and took Taven's intended sword. Taven defeated Daegon and was then approached by Blaze, who revealed that he is the one that is meant to stop Armageddon by defeating Blaze in Mortal Kombat. Accepting the inevitable after the quest has destroyed his family, Blaze rose the pyramid of Argus from the ground and fought Blaze as the Battle of Armageddon raged below.
- Abel: To Daegon's Cain.
- Awful Truth: His brother founded the Red Dragon clan and was trying to kill him all along.Taven: "Why are you here?" [at the Red Dragon caverns]Daegon: "This is my stronghold."Taven: "Your stronghold? And these warriors...?"Daegon: "I founded the Red Dragon Clan many ages ago."Taven: "There must be some misunderstanding. Your soldiers have been hunting me."Daegon: "There is no misunderstanding. For years, my clan has been infiltrating every corner of Earthrealm searching for you. Scouting parties were placed in locations where you were likely to appear. At our parents' temple, for instance." (...)Taven: "Why would you send your clan after me?"Daegon: "Isn't it obvious? I intend to kill you."Taven: "What!?"Daegon: "The prize will be mine, Taven. I will not risk losing it to you."
- Badass Beard
- Big Damn Heroes
- The Cameo: He is the man that Caro sent Takeda and Kenshi to awaken in Takeda's Mortal Kombat X ending, along with Kenshi's own where he joins them in killing Daegon.
- Deadpan Snarker: Has a few moments of this during Konquest mode.
- Determinator: Konquest Mode ending. Despite inadvertently hastening the onset of Armageddon, he makes it his duty as a god to prevent Armageddon.
- Embarrassing Nickname: Originally named "Bob."
- Fighting Your Friend: After his fight against the Red Dragon mooks, Fujin appears before him, and asks him to return to Edenia. Taven refuses the order, because he wants to know why the Red Dragon tried to stop him twice. Cue the fight.Fujin: "Stop, Taven!"Taven: "Fujin!"Fujin: "I sense that there's more significance to your actions here than it's apparent. I suggest you to return to Edenia immediately".Taven: "I would like some information first. The Red Dragon have attacked me twice. I'd like to know the reason, and I'm not leaving until I find it!"Fujin: "Such ignorance! I will stop you — by force if necessary."Taven: "I respect you, Fujin. You are a friend to my family. But I will not leave."Fujin: "Then you leave me no choice. Fight!"
"I didn't want to do that. Fujin has been an ally for many ages. (...)"
- And then, after defeating him:
- Gameplay and Story Segregation: After defeating Daegon in Konquest, he takes his stolen sword back. Changing to his weapon style in the final fight with Blaze reveals... the same damn sword he's been using the entire game. Maybe it changes shape depending on the user?
- Failure Hero: He is unable to save his parents, his guardian dragon, is forced to kombat his power-mad brother and to top it off, he failed to stop Armageddon with Shao Kahn being the canon victor.
- Idiot Hero: Is pretty gullible all in all. Some of it can be attributed to how long he's been asleep.
- The Hero: In Armageddon's Konquest mode, which serves as the game's story mode with him as point-of-view character and on a important quest to halt the end of all things.
- Knight in Sour Armor: He has grown disillusioned with his quest and cares nothing about achieving full godhood. However, he recognizes that quitting is not a viable option due to Daegon's corruption following his premature awakening and thus continues on.
- Phrase Catcher: How many times to other characters respond to something Taven says with "No, Taven!"?
- Physical God: At the end of Konquest.
- Sealed Good in a Can: He was trapped inside a cavern for a very long time in order to fulfill
- Spanner in the Works: His quest ends up derailing several villains' plans. For example, he stalls Sektor and his Tekunin long enough for the Special Forces to attack, helps fends off Noob and Smoke's attack on the Lin Kuei temple (including saving Sub-Zero's life), and breaks Quan Chi's hold over Sareena.
- Tall, Dark, and Handsome
- Teleport Spam: His "Escape" attack.
- Time Stands Still: His "Time Stop" attack.
- Anime Hair: Has spiked hair.
- Badass Beard
- Badass Longcoat
- The Cameo: He appears in Kenshi's Mortal Kombat X ending, which shows his death.
- Divine Parentage: He's the protector god of Edenia. He's also the father of Taven and Daegon.
- Faking the Dead: At least, according to Daegon's ending.
- God in Human Form
- The Gods Must Be Lazy: First wanted to kill the heroes to prevent Armageddon until his wife convinced him to do something a bit more complicated. Then he stood around for centuries and did nothing to protect Edenia, the realm he is supposed to protect, from Shao Kahn or any of the other threats.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Wanted to kill both good and evil kombatants until his wife pointed out some were undeserving of death. Later did nothing to protect Edenia from the evils that befell. Supposedly benevolent.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Has a reaction like this in Taven's non-canonical ending, where instead of halting Armageddon by stripping the combatants of their power, Blaze's death made them all stronger than before.
- Narrator: Of Armageddon.
- Off with His Head!: How he was "killed", according to Kenshi's Mortal Kombat X ending.
- Physical God
- Ugly Guy, Hot Wife: Ok, so he's not exactly ugly, but his wife is a smoking hot bombshell.
- Bare Your Midriff
- The Cameo: She appears in Kenshi's Mortal Kombat X ending, which shows her death.
- Divine Parentage: She's a powerful Edenian sorceress with visions of the future. She's also the mother of Taven and Daegon.
- Faking the Dead: At least, according to Daegon's ending.
- Hot Sorceress
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: How she was "killed", according to Kenshi's Mortal Kombat X ending.
- In the Hood: Her hood obscures her upper face.
- Psychic Powers: Delia possesses the power to see into the future.
- Red Baron: She's known as the "Lady of Flame." It's been theorized that Delia had pyrokinetic abilities of her own, explaining her creation of the fire elemental Blaze and her sons' powers.
- Stripperiffic: Of the Underboobs variety. It's otherwise a rather elegant dress.
- Breath Weapon: He dispatches the Red Dragon clan by breathing fire.
- The Cameo: Appears in Takeda's ending along with Taven in Mortal Kombat X.
- Magical Guardian: Is in charge of protecting and guiding Daegon.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: He somehow lost contact with Blaze, and mistook it for the start of Armageddon. This resulted in Daegon being awoken prematurely, leading to his corruption.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Subverted, as he appears to be a benevolent dragon.
The leader of the Tengu clan Taven encounters in his quest in Arctika. Said clan is a rival clan of the Lin Kuei.