A superhero and masked hero naming convention where the hero has a colour as part of their name.
Generally, this colour is incorporated into their powers, their appearance, or their costume in some way. Expect it to be pointed out
if it isn't. Most names of this type take the form of Colour Noun.
A Sister Trope
to Something Person
, where the hero or villain has his power or defining trait as part of his code name. May or may not be Color-Coded for Your Convenience
. Wanders into Added Alliterative Appeal
Different colours tend to signify different things. A few of these characters are from the Cold War
era and are coloured red because they come from, or represent, a communist nation. Black can indicate a Captain Ethnic
or an Anti-Hero
See also Colourful Theme Naming
, All Your Colors Combined
open/close all folders
(Used by a Black Captain Ethnic)
- The Great White Hunter, Fuoco Bianco ("White Fire", an Italian supervillain), White Dragon, Whiteout, White Rabbit, White Owl, Bai Hou ("White Monkey, a Chinese Spider-Manesque martial artist), and El Halcon Blanco ("White Falcon", a Mexican ice-blaster) — Global Guardians PBEM Universe
- White Witch - Whateley Universe
- White Pantera - El Tigre: The Adventures of Manny Rivera
A form of Theme Naming
when most or all of the cast is named after colors.
Anime and Manga
- Green Lantern now has Lantern Corps of every color in the spectrum. Though it should be noted that the yellow and violet corps dodge the color naming; being the Sinestro Corps and the Star Sapphires respectively.
- Red Tornado of DC Comics now has several other color counterparts.
- Color Kid - DC Comics
- Rainbow - Centaur Publications
- Rainbow Boy - Eastern Color Printing
- Rainbow Girl - Legion of Super-Heroes
- Rainbow Raider/The Rainbow Raiders - The Flash
- Disgaea has the Prism Rangers, themselves a parody of Power Rangers and Super Sentai.
- The Yakumos have a colour theme doubled with Bilingual Bonus - namely, Chen means orange, Ran means indigo and Yukari means violet. This gets VERY meaningful - Yukari is the most powerful of the 3, Chen is the weakest, and THAT'S just the game of their introduction. In the 8th game, Yukari is half of the border team, the other half being the predominantly red-wearing Reimu, making the team name very meaningful.
- In the Whateley Universe stories about Silver Ghost, she gets involved with SPECTRUM, the superhero group of Cincinnati. They have theme naming (Green Witch, Yellow Knight, Azure, etc), which really ticks off Tawny - she'd rather have a name like Lioness.
- There's also the Iron Legion, a group of Powered Armor mercenaries whose code names (and armor) are Color-Coded for Your Convenience...Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, and Violet all wear armors in colors that match their names.
- The White Legion, a group of white-supremacist superheroes. All of them have "white" in their names.