open/close all folders
- Action Girl: She's a competent Badass who can take on her opponents with or without her powers. To note, she took down (but wasn't able to completely take out) a puppet Touko specifically designed to fight against her unarmed since her circuits were blocked, and so she couldn't use her magic, at the time, she took on Alice's trump card, Flat Snark a really powerful, and sentient familiar by giving it a huge blast of her special Beam Spam note , and while she didn't win against Lugh, she gets points for kicking him in the face despite knowing what he is. Her victory over Touko is also her best Crowning Moment of Awesome that certifies her as a bona fide badass.
- Alliterative Name: Aoko Aozaki.
- Almighty Janitor: Her skills as a magus are low, her magic circuits aren't impressive at all compared to Alice and Touko's, and she is, as of Mahoyo's time, an inept mage compared to the two. However, she is a flexible mage when it comes to utilizing her abilities to their fullest potential. And that's not counting Blue yet...
- Boobs of Steel: Has a really large rack for a sixteen-year old. She's also a very competent Action Girl, with or without magic.
- Brainy Brunette: As inept as she is at being a magus, she's still the Student Council President after all.
- Brutal Honesty: Sees no point in sugarcoating words.
- Cain and Abel: The Abel to Touko's Cain.
- Celibate Heroine: It's pretty much a Foregone Conclusion since her adult self doesn't end up with anybody in Tsukihime and in Melty Blood, but the moment that solidified her as someone with an antipathy towards romance would be when she discovers that the "guy" she'd been crushing on was actually Ritsuka in drag. This practically mortified her enough to stay away from any and all romantic endeavors. Doesn't stop the game from teasing her with Shizuki.
- Childhood Friends: With Tobimaru Tsukiji. Their relationship is close enough for the others to think that they've got this Childhood Friend Romance thing going on, much to both of their chagrins. Also with Alice Kuonji who has been acquainted with their family for a while. Mind you, she openly admits that she would kill them both as a magus at certain points.
- Cloudcuckoolander's Minder: To Soujuurou. She has her job cut out for her...
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Of the hot-blooded variety.
- Dude Magnet: In her first year, Aoko attracted virtually every boy in the school to the point they were waging fights against each other to eat with her. This stopped when her personality became evident.
- Enraged by Idiocy: Is pricklier than normal whenever she's around Shizuki. Contributes to most of the game's hilarious moments with her exasperated facial expressions from time to time.
- Fiery Red Head: Wouldn't be Aoko if she weren't this.
- Grumpy Bear: Especially at the beginning before Character Development kicked in.
- Hot-Blooded: In contrast to her more reserved sister and her own best friend.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Is totally brash, rude, and a bit of a jerk towards nearly everyone, but shows that she does care for her friends from time to time.
- Meaningful Name: Aoko means "blue child". Her magic consists of blasting things with blue bullets or blue beams and her runes are all blue. There's also the name of the the Fifth Magic, Blue. In the future, she's known by the title of "Magic Gunner Blue" or "Miss Blue". It should be noted however that Aoko's not too fond of her name, if her telling Shiki to call her anything but Aoko is anything.
- Modesty Shorts: Wears some underneath her skirt. Helps that she's a Kick Chick too.
- Not a Morning Person: A trait she shares with three other Type-Moon characters: Rin, Shiki, and Homura.
- Perpetual Frowner: Not really, but she constantly gives everyone a Death Glare whenever she's in a bad mood...which is most of the time. Alice calls her out on this.Alice: "Your gaze is too harsh for normal people, Aoko. You should try to be a little more lenient."
- Power Dyes Your Hair: When she uses the Fifth Magic, Blue.
- Pride: Her pride is one of her defining features.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The red to Alice's blue.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: Towards Touko after she brutally kills Soujuurou in front of her. This is what lets her use Blue for the first time.
- Sibling Rivalry: With Touko, her older sister. Unlike most examples, this rivalry got real bad and really ugly over the years and the hatred is strong between the two Aozaki sisters.
- Student Council President: Her role in the school.
- Super Strength: Her kicks are powerful enough to break trees.
- Story-Breaker Power: Blue, as one of the five great Magics from the Nasuverse, allows Aoko to manipulate time to her liking, like how she managed to accelerate her own powers by accessing her ten-years later self's abilities, or when she displaced Soujuurou's death to the far future to revive him. However, the exact nature of Blue is still relatively unknown and what Aoko has shown so far was only the tip of the iceberg.
- Time Master: As part of Blue's power package. She uses this to displace Shizuki's death and to fling it to a distant future.
- Tsundere: A Type A towards nearly everyone, ESPECIALLY to Sojuurou. She outright punches him hard enough to knock him out after he began to unintentionally fluster her in one of the chapters.
- Unskilled, but Strong: Is stated to be average in terms of her skill in magecraft, but her bullets and energy blasts are powerful and are in a state of pure, raw energy. She also possesses the Fifth Magic, Blue, one of the five great True Magics in the Nasuverse.
Alice KuonjiA natural born witch, the daughter of the elder son of the wealthy Kuonji family and a witch he fell in love with, who lives alone in a mansion. She is emotionally detached and self-abusive, thus she does not form relationships easily, but gradually comes to accept Aoko as a friend. She has been acquainted with the Aozaki family for over ten years and serves as Aoko's partner and teacher.
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl: She is emotionally distant towards people and comes off as a cold person in her introduction. The black hair is a bonus.
- But Not Too Foreign: Is half-British and half-Japanese.
- Childhood Friends: With both Aozaki sisters, especially Aoko.
- The Comically Serious: She can put on a gigantic, cartoonish penguin costume with a completely straight face.
- Deadpan Snarker: Usually at Aoko's expense.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Over time, just like Aoko once Soujuurou helps her defrost.
- Fairy Tale Motifs: Her brand of magic incorporates themes directly associated with fairy tales.
- Half-Human Hybrid: She is a half witch born from a pure-blooded witch mother, and a human father.
- Kuudere: Is icy, stoic, and borderline emotionless at first glance, but once she defrosts, she shows that she can be a really sweet girl when she wants to be. She's still reserved about it though.
- The Mentor: Serves as one to Aoko to help her train in magecraft.
- Parental Abandonment: Both of her parents were already dead before the start of the story which would explain why she's the sole resident of her house before Aoko and later Shizuki came to reside with her.
- The Quiet One: She makes an effort only to speak when she has to.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The blue to Aoko's red.
- The Stoic: Her normal demeanor.
- What Is This Feeling?: Has uncertain feelings towards Shizuki Soujuurou.
Soujuurou ShizukiA young man from a rural location who is still adjusting to living in the city and as a normal high school student. He is quiet and reserved, but warm-hearted and stable in contrast to Aoko and Alice. He winds up living at the Kuonji mansion as well, despite Alice's attempts to drive him away by ignoring him, and Alice develops uncertain feelings toward him.
- Adorkable: His naivety towards city life, his ditzy personality, plus his genuine kindness towards everyone makes him this.
- Alliterative Name: Soujuurou Shizuki.
- Badass Normal: By virtue of being a snake assassin just like Kuzuki from Fate/stay night. Also, according to Nasu, Soujuurou is the strongest male Type-Moon MC (at least, before he descended the mountains, after which he gradually weakened), stronger than even the likes of Shiki Tohno and Shirou Emiya, both of whom are no slouches themselves.
- Broke Your Arm Punching Out Cthulhu: Soujuurou literally breaks his arm punching Lugh.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Remember, he brought down a monstrous werewolf more than half his size by himself with an emotionless expression on his face.
- Child Soldier: Soujuurou came from the same organization as Souichirou, from Fate/stay night
- Cloudcuckoolander: Thanks to being raised in the mountains for all his life without contact with any form of modernity until recently, he's this.
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu??:Soujuurou takes down Lugh, a two thousand year old Nature Spirit whom not even Aoko could defeat, by punching him in the heart and hitting his back with an elbow blow, which freaks Lugh out due to it being a new experience and actually getting beaten in fisticuffs.
- Empty Shell: What he was before descending the mountains he originated from. His interactions with his friends slowly filled him.
- Evil Counterpart: Inverted. He is Soichiro Kuzuki's good counterpart, having similar names, backgrounds, and the same initial emptiness before meeting people. The difference is, Soujuurou is a genuinely nice guy, is one of the protagonists, is willing to protect his friends, and is actually averse to killing while Kuzuki is a ruthless killer who has no problem getting rid of his own students for the sake of his lover, who freed him from the empty life he was living, and is an antagonist Shirou and Rin have to face in their story.
- Fear Is the Appropriate Response: Meeting Touko at the Pachinko Parlor elicited him running from his job as far as his legs could take him in Chapter 3.
- Half the Man He Used to Be: Soujuurou, courtesy of Touko. But he got better.
- He Knows Too Much: He witnesses what looked to be a murder in the park by Aoko while she was doing mage-stuff, leading to Aoko and later Alice trying to kill him. Both eventually decide to let it go.
- Idiot Hero: Soujuurou. The guy is just plain clueless.
- Love at First Sight: Played With. Soujuurou said he liked Aoko the moment he saw her. Of course, afterwards the narration adds it was simple kindess he felt for her.
- Muggle Best Friend: Of sorts to Aoko and Alice.
- Na´ve Newcomer: Because of this, he readily accepts the existence of magic as just another wonder of the city.
- Nice Guy: In the same vein as Shirou is toward Rin in the UBW route.
- Thou Shalt Not Kill: Believes that it's wrong to kill. It's this belief that prevents him from killing Lugh despite defeating him after he harmed Aoko and Alice. It's also because of this that he convinced Aoko to spare Touko's life after Aoko's Roaring Rampage of Revenge over his death at Touko's hands.
- Why Do You Keep Changing Jobs?: He has multiple jobs, including one where he works at an amusement park.
Tobimaru TsukijiThe popular vice-president of the Student Council, a classmate of Aoko who becomes Sojuro's best friend. He and Aoko when they were close friends as children, though they both deny having any feelings for one another. His family life is apparently complicated and he is known to casually smoke and spend nights out. Tobimaru happens to have unrequited feelings for Kojika Kumari.
- Coattail-Riding Relative: To his own parents, mentioning that he can only do so while he's in school for another year, and he's getting his money's worth while he can.
- In-Series Nickname: He's given the nickname 'His Highness' because of his prince-like demeanor.
- Odd Friendship: With Sojuro. He mentions that the fact that Soujuro is so honest is the reason he appreciates him (saying that a human that doesn't lie isn't a human), despite being a self-proclaimed misanthrope that only appreciates people he can use.
- Screw the Rules, I Have Connections!: His family basically runs the school, so while he's in it he has the run of things and uses the privileges to his advantage.
- Unwitting Instigator of Doom: He ends up telling Aoko that Soujou was the one who witnessed the murder, sparking the attempt on Souji.
- Would Hit a Girl: He mentions once hitting Aoko, fully expecting to get knocked around for it, but she decided to Turn the Other Cheek. The truth is that she caught him before he could hit her and then left him beaten.
Kojika KumariThe treasurer of the Student Council, a friend and classmate of Aoko who possesses a cool-mannered and realistic personality. She is very responsible as a result of being in charge of a household of brothers, but she dislikes how the men in her life look down on her. Though her father disapproves of her desire to attend college, Kojika still works hard to save money to attend anyways.
Housuke KinomiA classmate of Sojuro, Hosuke is a cheerful young man whose primary interests are the attractive girls in class and becoming rich someday. He often tries to organize the male students in class, though his cunning often fails and the girls wind up pitying him instead. He is also Sojuro's co-worker at their part-time job.
May Riddell ArchelotAn idol singer who has traveled around the world, May is also a mage with an eccentric personality. She is acquainted with Sojuro by unknown means and is known by the church. As a mage, her ability is considerable enough to cause trouble for Lugh.
Ritsuka SuseA member of the Mage's Association, though she has only been part of the organization for a year after leaving the Church. It is believed that Ritsuka is apprenticed to the Aozaki family to act as a watchdog, which is why Aoko is suspicious of Ritsuka's intentions.
Yuika SuseRitsuka's twin sister, a member of the church well-known in town as a pious nun. She possesses a genetic condition that results in heightened senses and is skilled in rougher acts as well.
Eiri FumizukaA member of the Church. Despite his gentle personality, his advice is often critical and harsh. He was once apprenticed to the Aozaki family and happens to be Touko's old lover. Because he was strong enough to kill a witch, Touko remains vigilant around him.
Lugh BeowulfThe antagonist of the story, an ageless nature spirit whose true form is a golden werewolf, though he appears as a fair-haired young boy. Other werewolves once revered him as the werewolf who would revive their race, but was ostracized and later sold to Touko Aozaki when it became apparent he was not a true werewolf.
- All of the Other Reindeer: Lugh's backstory.
- Animorphism: Lugh can take either the form of a pretty boy or a wolf.
- The Dragon: To Touko's Big Bad.
- Nigh-Invulnerability: Lugh No Sells a kick that could break a tree in half.
- Savage Wolves: Antagonistic wolf
- Affably Evil: She's genuine friends with Alice and is nice in her own way to other people except for Aoko, who she loathes, but she is the Big Bad of the story.
- Being Watched: Touko somehow knew when Souji saw her in the camera and turned to face him.
- Big Bad: The main antagonist of Mahou Tsukai No Yoru.
- Self-Made Orphan: More like "self-made granddaughter" since she murdered her and Aoko's grandfather after he passed on the family crest to Aoko instead of her. This is one of the reasons for Aoko's animosity towards her.