open/close all folders
Destroyers (DD)One of the smallest surface ship classes currently playable in the gamenote , Destroyers are characterized as having low armor, attack, and hit point values, with their best guns only reaching up to 12.7 cm (5 inches) in caliber. However, they can also mount torpedoes, and have the highest evasion rates in the game in return, they're the go-to ships for anti-submarine warfare, and they truly shine during night battles, where their torpedo stat will be added into their firepower stat for attacking, significantly increasing their damage output.
- Badass Adorable: Appear to be mostly portrayed as aged middle-school (the Kagerou-class) and younger (the Akatsuki and Mutsuki-classes), most won't expect that they will be a serious threat. Which is true in a day battle, where anything above a cruiser will usually only take scratch damagenote from them, but not in a night battle, where the badass part comes out.
- It helps that the IJN destroyers from Fubuki-class onwards are historically equipped with 610mm torpedo launchers (in triple, quad, or quint mounts depending on the class) capable of launching the Type 93 torpedo, granting even an average IJN destroyer outstanding torpedo stats compared to destroyers from other navies, which makes up for their inherently weak daytime firepower during night battles.
- Child Soldiers: Due to them looking (mostly) like kids, they are this. Some are Adorably Precocious Children who tried to act older than they look, while others act like actual children.
- Com Mons: Most of them, anyway. Those that aren't are Rare Random Drops. There's virtually no in-between.
- Junk Rare: The majority of the Rare Random Drops are generally regarded as this due to destroyers being generally weak, and even where a destroyer would be useful, one would usually be better off using a Com Mon (especially those who have Kai 2) with a Magikarp Power than the rare drop. However, while most rare destroyers come with only average stats, they also come with rare items upon remodeling. Yukikaze and Shimakaze are highly powerful among destroyers, even at level 20 (compared to 55~70 for a Kai 2) while Amatsukaze and Isokaze are above-average.
- Fragile Speedster: High evasion, but low armor and hit points. Some of the stronger destroyers also border on Glass Cannon.
- Older Than They Look: By appearance, destroyers are generally between 12 and 15 years old. But if completion of construction or launch date is considered their birthdays, then even the youngest of them is over 70 years old.
- Theme Naming: All of them are named after some kind of natural phenomena or a time of the year. Some classes take it further with a majority being named after variants of the same phenomenon.
- Combat Stilettos: All of them wear high-heeled boots, though in Kamikaze's case the heels are only visible in her damaged CG, while Asakaze's heels are more visible in her damaged CG.
- Necessary Drawback: Inverted for the sake of comparison: They are even more fragile than the Mutsuki-class, but not only they are as cheap as them, they also have better overall stats than any of the single remodel Mutsuki-class to compensate for their rarity.
- Nonstandard Character Design: Unlike the destroyers that succeed them, they don't wear some form of Western-style school uniform. Instead, they wear the uniform style that precedes the Sailor Fuku: a kimono with hakama coupled with boots, which was common during the late Meiji period and into the Taishou period. The Kamikaze-class destroyers were built during The Twenties, at the tail end of the Taishou period, so this is historically accurate for them.
Voiced by: Ayako Kawasumi
- "I've kept you waiting, commander. Lead ship of the Kamikaze-class destroyers, Kamikaze, has arrived. Are you ready, everyone? Follow me."
- Arc Number: She's associated with the number 1 a lot, like her historical counterpart wasnote , which she notes in the 4koma. (She does, however, prefer to be called by her formal name.) Naturally Shiratsuyu feels salty about it.
- Born Lucky: Has a luck rating of 30 unremodeled, 40 remodeled with a max of 99. She indeed survived the war and was used as a repatriation vessel until she ran aground trying to save Kunashiri, Kunashiri herself having run aground.
- Christmas Cake: She is worried when being told as old, despite looking as young as most destroyers. Probably because she is currently the oldest destroyer in the game.
- Fragile Speedster: Maxed, her evasion is second only to Shimakaze and Yukikaze, a married Kamikaze is also second only to a married Shimakaze. However, she is also much more fragile with her 23 hit points compared to Shimakaze's 36. This high evasion is based on her multiple encounters with US submarines (most notably her duel against USS Hawkbill in 1944) towards the end of the war, where she managed to evade the majority of torpedo attacks against her.
- Hair Decorations: A yellow ribbon on the back of her head.
- Hidden Buxom: As revealed by her damage CG, though her size is nowhere nearly as large as Ushio's.
Voiced by: Shizuka Ito
- "Good morning, I'm Asakaze. Second ship of the Kamikaze-class destroyers, Asakaze. Commander, remember it quickly, alright?"
- Berserk Button: Don't mention her wide forehead.
- Catch Phrase: She says quite a lot of "morning". She even says that she doesn't like night times. Makes sense given her name, which means "Morning Wind".
- Character Tic: Is very enthusiastic about her love of mornings.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: She gets angry very easily, so much that Matsukaze likes to tease her on purpose.
- Hair Decorations: A pair of blue butterfly clips on the side of her head.
- Those Two Guys: With Matsukaze.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: She shows fear in night times because she historically was sunk at nighttime. In the 4koma, she quickly bonds with Hagikaze due to this.
- My Greatest Failure: It's hinted in her hourly notifications that she hates the night because she failed to protect the carrier Niyoumaru.Asakaze : The 1st Surface Escort Division?... Yeah. I did my best, I wanted to protect them, but it was too hard. That's why I don't like night.
- My Greatest Failure: It's hinted in her hourly notifications that she hates the night because she failed to protect the carrier Niyoumaru.
Voiced by: Mamiko Noto
- "Third ship of the Kamikaze-class destroyers, I am Harukaze. Commander, I am pleased to have made your acquaintance."
- Born Lucky: To a lesser extent than Kamikaze: 25 unremodeled, 30 remodeled with a max of 89. She also survived the war but not before being damaged in a air strike.
- Cool Big Sis: To Hatakaze.
- Hair Decorations: A red ribbon on the back of her head.
- Japanese Pronouns: "Watakushi", when she is not being a Third-Person Person.
- Keigo: Speaks in a very formal manner.
- Ojou: Speaks like one.
- Ojou Ringlets: Her hair is styled into two drills, which fits her personality since she speaks in a polite and refined manner.
- Parasol of Prettiness: She carries an oil-paper umbrella.
- Third-Person Person: At times refers to herself like this.
- Yamato Nadeshiko: Harukaze is very sweet, humble, domestic and acts like a proper lady.
Voiced by: Shizuka Ito
- "I'm the fourth of the Kamikaze-class destroyers, Matsukaze. So you're my commander? Lookin' good. I'll have your six covered. Let's go, then."
- Bokukko: Makes use of the masculine pronoun "Boku".
- Deadpan Snarker: She's very sarcastic and condescending.
- The Gadfly: She has hints of this when talking to Asakaze and the Admiral, enjoying their reactions to things she might say.Matsukaze (to the Admiral): You sure look sleepy. How bout this, wanna lie down a bit? If you want to, you can sleep with me. Ahaha! Just kidding.
- Nice Hat: She wears a miniature top hat which clashes with her Japanese-style outfit. To be fair, she was foreshadowed by Asakaze as having rather eccentric tastes, hat included.
- Those Two Guys: With Asakaze, almost bording on Vitriolic Best Buds.
Voiced by: Hitomi Nabatame
- "The Kamikaze-class destroyer Hatakaze has arrived, Commander. I'll be accompanying you. Please take care of me."
- Big Sister Worship: She looks up to Harukaze, even copying her Ojou Ringlets hairstyle. Ironically, Harukaze seems to be more focused on taking care of Asakaze, who rarely mentions her.
- Hair Decorations: A red ribbon with part of her mast.
- Hidden Buxom: Somewhat like Kamikaze, it's noticeable for a girl her age.
- I'm Cold... So Cold... / Sorry That I'm Dying: Her sinking line.Hatakaze: It's cold... I'm sinking... again... I'm... sorry... Haru-nee-san... No...
- Ojou: Follows Harukaze's trend in speaking like one, and appears as fond of making tea.
- You Are Number 6: Or rather five, as evidenced by the turret she's holding in hand, which has the number 5 on it, as she is the fifth Kamikaze-class destroyer.
- Curtains Match the Window: Averted with Kikuzuki and Mikazuki, played straight with everyone else.
- Money Multiplier: As of April 2016, all the Mutsuki-class destroyers with second remodels can now equip Daihatsu Landing crafts* , which increases the amount of resources obtained from expedition. The landing craft themselves aren't provided along with their second remodel, however.
- Necessary Drawback: They're the cheapest and easily available surface ships in the game but are also the weakest, making the entire Mutsuki-class favorites for any expedition that requires destroyers, and usually also for those that don't require a specific class.
- Iconic Item: A crescent moon clip. Mutsuki and Kisaragi both lacked this in-game (their official art outside of the game later gave them one each) until their Valentine's sprites each gave them one, and later on their second remodels gave them two of those apiece.
- Stellar Name: All of them are named either after the Japanese traditional months (thus, Yayoi) or aspects of the Moon. This nomenclature is shared with the Akizuki-class.
Artist: Kusada Souta
Voiced by: Rina Hidaka (Japanese), Cherami Leigh (English) (anime)
- "I'm Mutsuki. Let's work together!"
- Adaptation Personality Change: She's the most notable example of having this in the anime, being calmer and more levelheaded than her game counterpart.
- Ascended Extra: The anime makes her part of the protagonist ensemble. She then becomes more popular, to the point of becoming one of the Starter Equipments in Kancolle Kai.
- Ass Kicking Pose: In her 2nd Remodel.
- Badass Adorable: Mainly this for a destroyer, in her 2nd Remodel however, she taken it Up to 11.
- Big Little Sister: In the anime, she acts a bit immature and relies a lot on her sister Kisaragi, who is actually younger than her. This refers to how the the real-world Kisaragi finished its construction before Mutsuki.
- Break the Cutie: For Mutsuki, losing Kisaragi (either by sinking or Abyssal mutation) is definitely a big deal.
- Genki Girl: Only in the game. The anime version of Mutsuki is a whole lot calmer.
- Happy Holidays Dress: Gains a special sprite for Valentine's Day 2015.
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: Kaga's Vicious Cycle speech is already bad news for Mutsuki but Kisaragi's Abyssal mutation breaks her really bad.
- I Regret Nothing: If she gets sunk.Mutsuki: At least, I served, a bit, nya...
- I Will Wait for You: She spends most of Episode 4 waiting at the docks for Kisaragi's return, unable to accept that the latter sank. It takes a Cooldown Hug from Fubuki to make her cry out her heart and move one afterwards.
- Living Emotional Crutch: Kisaragi and Fubuki are this to her. She takes Kisaragi's sinking very badly to the point of shedding tears at the end of Episode 4 and is worried sick at Fubuki in Episode 10 for almost getting sank. And then the movie adds more salt to her emotional scars when she finds out about Kisaragi's Abyssal Mutation from Kaga. She gets over with it for a bit after having an emotional talk with a dying Kisaragi.
- Motor Mouth: To add more in her Genki Girl demeanor.Mutsuki: What is it~? What is it~?
- Nice Girl: In the anime, Mutsuki's characterized as this, becoming the happy medium between Fubuki's earnestness and Yuudachi's ditzy tendencies.
- Proper Tights with a Skirt: Her leggings even get an argyle pattern to them in the anime.
- Stepford Smiler: Despite Kisaragi's sinking in Episode 3, Mutsuki acts as if nothing happened in the following episode and keeps on waiting at the docks for Kisaragi's return, up until Fubuki musters enough courage to give her a Cooldown Hug and get her out of this state.
- Third-Person Person: In the game only, she tends to refer to herself with her own name.
- Those Two Guys: With Kisaragi due that both of them came in the same DesDiv as well as they are both drawn by the same artist.
- Throw the Dog a Bone: At the end of the movie, she and Kisaragi met again in a cliff.
- Took a Level in Badass: Her second remodel, which increase her stats to be nearly on par to most other destroyers at their first remodel, with higher AA stats than the stock destroyer's stats* , and comes with stock equipments (including a boiler which increases their evasion) that were previously stocked only on rare destroyers. On top of this, their new artworks looks awesome with the new jackets that has two moon clips on them, making it all the more awesome whenever she's kicking ass in battles.
- Verbal Tic: She doesn't have one, but most of her lines have "oyo", "-nodesu", or "nya". With her second remodel, she starts to add "~nyashi" to the ends of her sentences. In the game only.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: Her eagerness for the Admiral's approval rivals Ikazuchi's. She points this out in her marriage line.Mutsuki: In truth, I wanted the Commander to praise me, so Mutsuki did her very, very best.
Artist: Kusada Souta
Voiced by: Rina Hidaka (Japanese), Kasi Hollowell (English)
- "My name is Kisaragi. Please keep me at your side."
- Back from the Dead: Happens twice: The first is when she Came Back Wrong and the second is after the crimson sea disappears, taking all the Abyssals within the area away, herself included.
- Came Back Wrong: In the movie, she returns to the base, having been "rescued" when she was sunk once again as an Abyssal in episode 12. However, she's sporting Abyssal-like horns on her head, and some noticeable skin discoloration. It worsens gradually as the movie goes on. This doesn't stop her from bailing out Fubuki, Mutsuki, and Yamato from a horde of Abyssals though. Averted when she came back in the end, she is perfectly fine as a Kanmusu.
- Cool Big Sis: Inverted as she's the little sister, but still: in the anime, she acts as a proxy big sister to Mutsuki, referring to how the the real-world Kisaragi finished its construction before Mutsuki. Later game updates changed her characterization to be somewhere in between her anime and original game versions, acting like a mature big sister to Mutsuki and teasing the Admiral.
- Died in Your Arms Tonight: How she dies the second time.
- Evil Costume Switch: While Kisaragi is still on the Ship Girls' side, she wears a darker-coloured version of Mutsuki's second remodel hoodie as a sign of her completed Abyssal transformation.
- Hair Decorations: Wears a pink hair bow.
- Half-Human Hybrid: In the movie, Kisaragi appears to be a hybrid between a Ship Girl and an Abyssal: She has the features of the Abyssals and wears a bleaker variation of the Ship Girls' school uniforms.
- Happy Holidays Dress: Gains a special sprite for Valentine's Day 2015, specifically an apron and a Repair Bucket's worth of chocolate.
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: As a result of Abyssal mutation, Kisaragi had a major breakdown to the point where Mutsuki has to console her over it.
- Hunter of His Own Kind: Is a rogue Abyssal in The Movie.
- Meaningful Name: February, hence her dialogue lines.
- Nonstandard Character Design: As an Abyssal, she still wears a high school uniform instead of the usual Abyssal dress.
- Not Distracted by the Sexy: In fanworks the Admiral mostly ignores her sexually suggestive talks.
- Odd Name Out: The only Mutsuki-class destroyer where the kanji 月 in her name is pronounced differently from the rest.
- Sacrificial Lamb: She follows her real life counterpart's fate in the anime third episode and gets sunk by an enemy airplane's bomb. This haunts the rest of the main cast in the following episode.
- The Tease: Most of her lines are sexually suggestive.Kisaragi (if docked while lightly damaged): I'm feeling a little tired, so I'll have a rest in bed. Would you like to join me?(if docked while heavily damaged): But I want to be with you for as long as I can... let's have you resting with me.
- Those Two Guys: With Mutsuki.
- Token Heroic Orc: In the movie, she's an Abyssal who fights against other Abyssals.
- Took a Level in Badass: Her second remodel, complete with artworks and jackets that looks just as awesome as Mutsuki's. She comes with all the aforementioned perks Mutsuki have with slightly higher stats in exchange of lower luck.
- Troubling Unchildlike Behavior: Given her ship type, she is quite young-looking for all those suggestive lines. Granted, in actual years she's pushing a century.
- Vanity Is Feminine: Loves boasting about how beautiful she is.Kisaragi: Look at my beautiful skin... you should take a closer look.
- White Hair, Black Heart: Subverted as an Abyssal in the movie. She helps out Mutsuki and Yamato in holding off the Abyssals to make an opening for Fubuki to escape.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Type A (reaches the middle of her thigh, close to her skirt).
Artist: Kusada Souta
Voiced by: Rina Hidaka (Japanese), Alison Viktorin (English)
- "Yayoi, reporting for duty... Pleased to meet you. You don't have to worry about me so much..."
- Bare Your Midriff: Her seifuku shirt is short enough to not cover her midriff.
- Hair Decorations: She uses her crescent moon clip just like Nagatsuki (a later-built ship which appeared in the game since the beginning), as a hair ornament on her left side.
- Not So Stoic: As shown in her marriage line.Yayoi: Commande~r. Comm... ander... It's hard. Hawawa!? W-were you listening? I see... thank goodness. No, that's good. Commander... erm... thanks for everything. Let's keep going together... okay?
- Odd Name Out: The only Mutsuki-class destroyer not to have the kanji 月 in her name.
- Perpetual FrownerYayoi: Eh...? Yayoi, is not angry, you know ?... Sorry if I'm so hard-looking.
- Rare Random Drop: May or may not be this, since while it's hard to obtain her as a drop from sorties, she can be crafted from the cheapest construction recipe. That said, how frequently she drops from said recipe is a different story...
- Subverted in World 5-4, when many players (for numerous reasons play 5-4 repeatably) end up bothered by her repeated appearance.
- The Slacker: According to the 4koma, she is actually quite lazy. She even relies on Mochizuki to feed her. Yes. Mochizuki.
- The Stoic: Can probably rival even Kaga.
- Tragic Keepsake: The tattered ribbon on her 12cm gun is speculated to be Mutsuki's.*
- Those Two Guys: She is never seen without Mochizuki.
Artist: Kusada Souta
Voiced by: Rina Hidaka
- "Yay~! I arrived-pyon! My name is Uzuki, you can call me U-chan!"
- Animal Motifs: Rabbits, which refers to the literal translation of her name(Rabbit Moon). This is reflected in her personality and Verbal Tic.
- Bare Your Midriff: Same as Yayoi.
- Cheerful Child: Just like Mutsuki but taken Up to 11.
- Cute, but Cacophonic: Hyperactive and has a really high-pitched voice.
- Flower Motifs: Cherry blossoms.
- Hair Decorations: Same as Yayoi but on the right side. Also has a different one (looks like a bunny face) tying up her long hair.
- Genki Girl: Can probably rival even Nenohi or Ikazuchi.Uzuki: Comman~der, play with me~, I'm bored-pyon...
- Rare Random Drop: Unlike Yayoi, she cannot be crafted, although a mistake made by the developers made her craftable for a few minutes (before they fixed it). Normally she drops from boss nodes of World 3 onward, but the end of March update made her drop as early as World 2 as a special mini-event for April (due to being named after April herself).
- Subverted in 5-4, for the same reason as Yayoi above.
- Sarashi: She wears one, which is revealed when she gets heavily damaged.
- Verbal Tic: "pyon".
Voiced by: Rina Hidaka
- "I'm Satsuki. Good to meet ya!"
- Bokukko: She talks in a boyish tone and makes use of "Boku" as her personal pronoun. It can be attributed to her being the tomboy of the class, her being the pluckiest girl around or simply being part of her personal preferences.
- Determinator: Implied in one of her quotes.Satsuki: I kept getting injured again and again on missions, but I fought bravely to the end as the 5th of the Mutsuki-class destroyers.
- Dumb Muscle: Her characterization in Kagerou, Setting Sail is that she's very obsessed with training, but is not very smart. Her usual solution for life problem is "If I punch it hard enough, it will go away".
- Guns Akimbo: Carries a pair of 12cm cannon. In her Kai Ni, a 12cm cannon with a 25mm AA triple gun.
- Hammerspace: The way her sword in her Kai Ni artwork appears in her damaged state implies she hides it under her clothes which, while loose-looking, are still flapping around and providing little concealment.
- I'm Cold... So Cold...: If she gets sunk.Satsuki: H-hey? What's this.... the ocean... is dark.... I can't see anything... why?
- Ornamental Weapon: Her damaged Kai Ni artwork shows her with a swordnote , but isn't shown using it.
- Plucky Girl: She wants to be stronger and for the Admiral to acknowledge her.
- Rapunzel Hair: Tied in long twintails that reach her waist.
- Took a Level in Badass: With her second remodel, she finally gets to be stronger and useful. Stats-wise, she has similar role and stats as Kasumi Kai Ni B, trading some firepower for armor and can equip landing crafts instead of large radar. She also has the highest ASW of all destroyers, beating Libeccio and Asashimo. She has somewhat weaker surface stats compared to Mutsuki and Kisaragi, but she eclipses them in everything else. To compensate, she remodels at level 75 instead of level 65. Like them, however, she comes with a new jacket which makes her look awesome when she is kicking ass.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Grade B over-kneehighs covered by her skirt in her normal CG, but more obvious in her damaged CG.
Artist: Kusada Souta
Voiced by: Rina Hidaka
- "The sixth ship of the Mutsuki-class destroyers, I'm Minazuki. Sorry for being late. Commander, best regards. ...Ehehe."
- Custom Uniform: She wears a variant of Yayoi's outfit with frilled shorts instead of a skirt.
- Cute Little Fangs: They are barely noticeable unless zoomed in close to her mouth.
- The Nicknamer: She usually refers to her divisionmates - Satsuki, Fumizuki and Nagatsuki - as Sacchin, Fumi-chan and Naganaga respectively.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Indeed, as her portrait shows. This, with her tomboyish looks, has lead to comparisons with Cirno, who has the same hair color.
Voiced by: Rina Hidaka
- "I'm Fumizuki. Nice to meet you~"
- Children Are Innocent: Comes off as this, when she seems happy and not understanding when the Admiral pokes her.
- Determinator: If she gets sunk. A reference to how during Operation Hailstorm a torpedo caused gradual flooding in Fumizuki, which the crew could not control, and it later sunk.Fumizuki: Fumizuki... will not be finished... like this...
- Hot-Blooded: Usually a Cheerful Child, but when it comes to battles, she is this.
- Noodle Incident: Apparently, in her intro.Fumizuki: Once, I collided with a large ship while guarding a fleet and got terribly damaged...It was too hard for me~.
- The incident in question refers to her collision with the ocean liner Kachidoki Maru on September 16, 1942
- She Is All Grown Up: In her Kai Ni, she becomes more matured in appearance.
- Took a Level in Badass: Much like Satsuki she become useful in her kai ni. Having higher Anti-submarine stats on-par with Satsuki's as having her own unique Anti-Air Cutin which she had stock of Concentrated 25mm Anti-air guns.
Voiced by: Rina Hidaka
- "Nagatsuki here. Don't make light of me as destroyers. I'm useful."
- Born Lucky: Her high luck (highest of the Mutsuki-class) is most likely due to her not having been sunk in Real Life: she was heavily damaged, but managed to beach herself to avoid sinking. However, it proved impossible to repair the damage and she was later destroyed by enemy aircraft.
- Hair Decorations: She uses her own crescent moon clip as one of these on her left side.
- Sorry That I'm Dying: If she gets sunk.Nagatsuki: Sorry everyone... looks like this is as far as I'll go.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Green hair.
Voiced by: Rina Hidaka
- "I'm Kikuzuki, let's move out together"
- Aborted Declaration of Love: To the Admiral in her wedding line.Kikuzuki: If this war is over...can't I stay with you, Commander...? It can't be happening, can it...?
- The Cynic: She has a pessimistic view about war.Kikuzuki: Another ship has to throw herself into the battlefield again huh...
- Determinator: Her quotes when she is damaged. Yes, despite her cynicism.Kikuzuki: Ugh, I, Kikuzuki, am not going to sink from this!
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: Given her pessimistic attitude, she is prone to give this.
- This Looks Like a Job for Aquaman: The E-1 Map of the Summer 2015 event gave her importance as a member of a fleet, as having her would allow the fleet to divert to the safest, shortest, and most economical route, with just 2 encounter nodes per sortie (compared to three to four on other routes, including the Boss node), and an ammo node in between the two nodes. Serves as Harsher in Hindsight as the map's design is patterned on the campaign where the real-life Kikuzuki sank (with the Boss node marking the shipwreck's location.)
- We Will Meet Again: Implied in her sinking line.Kikuzuki: Let's meet at the cherry blossom tree on that hill
Voiced by: Rina Hidaka
- "You're the commander, right? I'm Mikazuki. I hope you welcome me warmly into your fleet."
- Declaration of Protection: To the Admiral in her wedding line.Mikazuki: I wanna get more and more strength to help everybody. But, the one I want to help the most is...Commander...Ah, pay it no mind...yeah...
- Foil: To the slacker Mochizuki.
- Humble Hero: Doesn't brag anything about herself, as long she can help the fleet and the admiral with the best of her abilities.
- Parting Words Regret: If she gets sunk.Mikazuki: Commander...I wanted to continue fighting together with you...
- The Reliable One: In the Mutsuki-class.
- Those Two Guys: Tend to be seen together with Mochizuki, in fanworks.
Voiced by: Rina Hidaka (Japanese), Jill Harris (English)
- "Hmm? Ah, I'm Mochizuki."
- Foil: To the responsible Mikazuki.
- I Can't Believe a Guy Like You Would Notice Me: Invokes this when the Admiral proposes to her in her wedding line, implying that the Admiral should be with a more energetic girl.Mochizuki: You really shouldn't be spending time and money on me... Even if I do my best... But, I'll hear your praise.
- Meganekko: The only bespectacled member of her class.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Her MVP line has her express disbelief that the rest of the fleet are so pathetic she of all people could get MVP.
- The Slacker: Speaks in a sleepy tone of voice.
- That Makes Me Feel Angry: She gets angrier if she gets more and more damaged.
- Those Two Guys: With Mikazuki, in fanworks. With Yayoi, in canon.
Voiced by: Sumire Uesaka (Japanese), Felecia Angelle (English) (anime)
- "Nice to meet you! I'm Fubuki! Thanks for having me!"
- A-Cup Angst: When Fubuki got her Kai upgrade in Episode 10 of the anime, she feels depressed over her appearance being the same... and then comparing her bust size to Yuudachi's.Fubuki: Honestly, after all that work, it feels like there's no payoff...
- Adaptation Dye-Job: A case of divergent evolution. Her original art has dark green eyes; the anime ran with the dark part and turned them brown, while later game-related art by Shibafu only made them greener and greener.
- Advertised Extra: In the game and many of the print spinoffs. With the advent of the anime, people have started to pay attention to her, though she is still comparatively more bland than her fellow starters.
- Her second remodel gives her specialised AA equipment and a very good AA stat.
- The anime makes her an escort to Akagi, with a lot of emphasis on her AA capabilities.
- Battle in the Center of the Mind: In the movie, she had a mental battle against her Abyssal self. She won.
- Cannot Spit It Out: Her marriage line.Fubuki: "Umm... Hey... Commander… I... really... l-l-li... no.. I have total faith in you! Yes!"
- Catchphrase: Ganbarimasu!
- Enemy Without: Both Fubuki and her Abyssal self exist at the same time following the real-life Fubuki's demise at Cape Esperance in 1942.
- Evil Knockoff: She met and fought an Abyssal version of herself in the movie. Later merged with the Kanmusu Fubuki later after she told her to come with her.
- Fangirl: For Akagi, in the anime. Not even Akagi's infamous eating habits discourages Fubuki.
- The Hero: The main viewpoint character of the anime adaptation.
- Hidden Depths: In the 4koma, she not only knows how to speak Russian (which comes in handy when communicating with Verniy, Hibiki's 2nd remodel), she's even more fluent at it than Verniy is. Explanation
- Holiday Mode: She gains Autumn festival wear (specifically, a happi coat and hachimaki headband) for Fall 2016.
- Not So Above It All: Despite being mostly an average girl in personality, she (at least in the 4-koma) seldom can keep her calm whenever issues of her second revision and/or awesome equipments are concerned.Shirayuki: (In her thought, after she caught Fubuki wrote "2nd revision" in her Tanabata event paper wish) The Fubuki-chan that wrote down such a nice wish at Christmas is...!
- Only Sane Man: A subtle positive trait of hers is that she's less prone to be infected with sudden bouts of crazy, lazy, or stupid than nearly anyone else. This trait even carries over into the anime, where she quickly becomes the tsukkomi to the antics of the Kongou sisters. It's this, combined with some good old-fashioned competence, that lands her the flagship position in the anime.
- Out of Focus: You'd be forgiven if you didn't know that poor Fubuki is supposed to be the main girl of the game... only to get overshadowed by more popular characters like Shimakaze, Kongou or even Inazuma/Ikazuchi. Even among the five starter ships, Inazuma and Murakumo eclipses her in popularity. At least in the 4koma, the first Famitsu series of comics, and the anime, Fubuki is the viewpoint character.
- Ridiculously Average Girl: Doesn't have any special features, gimmicks, quirks, or history to her name.note It's become a joke by this point, like when the other destroyers tour her room, they're disappointed that it's completely average compared to the zaniness of everyone else's. That is until the movie, where she's later revealed to be the only Ship Girl whose Abyssal counterpart exists at the same time.
- Slipknot Ponytail: In the game, if she's damaged after her second remodel, her hair is let loose from her iconic ponytail.
- Starter Equipment: One of the five destroyers an admiral can start the game with. Considered the most effective, her art limits her popularity.
- Super Prototype: Subverted. Despite calling herself a "Special-type Destroyer", she's anything but special. The reason why Fubuki is "special" in the first place is not because of her combat specialty, but her existence, which is later explained in the movie: she cheated "death" in the Vicious Cycle Kaga mentioned due to the original Fubuki's willingness to live causes her soul to be split in half.
- Took a Level in Badass:
- The first starter to have a Second Remodel and while her new gear isn't fully historical, it does give her a decent offensive boost and the best AA for a non specialized destroyer with the main caveat is having less endurance than Shigure and Yuudachi.
- As of episode 9 in the anime, this Second Remodel is about to become a reality for Fubuki, who'd been fretting over whether or not she'd done well enough until that point. It actually comes to pass in the 10th episode.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: In the anime, for Akagi. Most of Fubuki's development is driven by her need to prove herself worthy to be Akagi's escort.
- White Hair, Black Heart: Definitely not Fubuki, but her Abyssal counterpart in the movie qualifies as this.
Voiced by: Sumire Uesaka
- "I'm Shirayuki. Thanks for having me."
- Covert Pervert: In the 4koma, where she has a romantic attraction to munitions and shooting things.
- Feminine Women Can Cook: Testified in one of Murakumo's hourly notification lines.
- Happily Married: In her secretary-line once she is married.Shirayuki: "I'm so happy..."
- Parting Words Regret: If she gets sunk.Shirayuki: N-no... I still haven't done anything...
- Shrinking Violet: She talks if necessary and is never seen without her sisters.
Voiced by: Sumire Uesaka
- "I'm... Hatsuyuki... nice to meet you."
- Cannot Spit It Out: Her marriage line.Hatsuyuki: "Umm.. I... l-li-... that is to say... erm... um... never mind..."
- Commonality Connection: Invokes this in the 4-koma, where she's particularly happy about meeting Yayoi, another lazy ship.
- Covert Pervert: She in the 4-koma apparently likes touching new girls' hip vents.
- Hikikomori: Acts like a stereotypical one.Hatsuyuki: "Gonna hide in my room... for a bit."
- Hime Cut: Part of her Never-Go-Outside look is maintaining this hairstyle, traditional for proper ladies who were supposed to stay indoors all the time.
- The Quiet One: She speaks a few words if necessary.
- Secretly Wealthy: Thanks to never ever going out, she ends up amassing a vast amount of vouchers, essentially base currency for things like food or free days. Something she later waves over a hungry Miyuki's head.
- The Slacker: Effort? What's that? As shown in the 4koma, the reason she never goes out is because she is just flat out lazy. Even talking is a huge effort for her!
- Thanks for the Mammaries: In 4-koma, this is her sole shared quirk with Miyuki.
Voiced by: Sumire Uesaka
- "I'm Miyuki. Great to meet you!"
- Boisterous Bruiser: Much like Kitakami, at times she refers to herself with the pronoun "-sama".
- Boyish Short Hair: This, combined with her boyish personality, makes her stand out from the rest of her sister-ships.
- Genki Girl: Particularly in the 4koma. This is likely due to the fact that she's actually able to go out and do something, unlike the ship she was based on, which sank prior to the war due to a collision with Inazuma.
- Sorry That I'm Dying: If she gets sunk.Miyuki: Sorry... I'm going ahead.... see you later...
- Thanks for the Mammaries: In 4-koma, this is her sole shared quirk with Hatsuyuki.
- Tsundere: In her marriage line.Miyuki: "Erm, umm… I like the commander!.. What is it? Don't look at me with that face!"
Voiced by: Sumire Uesaka
- "So you're the commander, huh. Well, you better try your hardest."
- Anti-Gravity Clothing: The mechanical ear-like things that float on the sides of her head.
- Berserk Button: She is a proud member of the Fubuki-class and not an outsider, thank you very much.
- Blade on a Stick: Her mast is rendered into a spear. Her Kai Ni art lacks it, but an official publication◊ shows that she still has her spear with a slightly altered design, including an actual spearhead instead of just a pointy end.
- Boisterous Bruiser
- Custom Uniform: Her design has more in common with Hatsuharu and Nenohi than her own sister ships due to being drawn by their artist. Her divergent design also helps in making her stand out amongst the other starter ships compared to the greater relative similarity of Fubuki and the other sister ships. This is eventually lampshaded in an episode of the 4-koma.Kitakami: So, why is that one outsider with you?
Murakumo: I'm not an outsider!
- Proper Tights with a Skirt
- Starter Equipment: She is one of the first five optional ship girls a player can start out with. Having a Kai Ni, distinct appearance, and tsundere attitude makes her one of the most popular choices.
- This Is Unforgivable!: If she gets sunk. Some speculated that this could be either said to the one who shot at her, or to her Admiral.Murakumo: I won't forgive you! That's right, I won't!!
- Through Her Stomach: While she's usually grumpy, she notably cheers up when someone is making her meals. She even forgets that she's in the middle of her tsundere routine in her Christmas line because the Admiral is shoving food to her mouth.
- Took a Level in Badass: Her second remodel gives her a stat spread similar to Hatsuharu Kai Ni's, but with better Firepower, Anti-Air, and Torpedoes at the expense of a bit of Armor and Luck.
- Tsundere: Her marriage line puts her firmly as this.Murakumo: I don't really dislike you, you know. You can give me any orders you like... wha! I-I didn't mean it like that!Starter ship description: Murakumo is a cool lone wolf type. A ship who is prideful of her appearance and ability. Though looks haughty, has a gentle side.
Voiced by: Sumire Uesaka
- "U-um... my name is Isonami. Pleased to meet you."
- Hidden Depths: She occasionally spits them out. For example, if she gets docked she comments that it is like a paid vacation and if she gets married she asks the Admiral if he has a girlfriend.Isonami: "Umm.... Admiral... do you have a girlfriend?.... Oh, so that's it. Fufu, hmm~ I see~♪"
- Plucky Girl: Despite her shyness, she tries very hard to do her best in battle.Isonami: It's time to sortie... Yes! I'll do my best...!
- This Cannot Be!: If she gets sunk.Isonami: Sinking... I am...? No... not me...
Voiced by: Sumire Uesaka
- "I'm the youngest of the Special Type I Fubuki-class destroyers, Uranami. Commander, I'm looking forward to working with you."
- Braids of Action: like Isonami before her, though hers is a single braid.
- Chain Pain: Implied with the way she's holding the chain with her anchor on it.
- Custom Uniform: Some parts of her uniform (the collar chest panel and the neckerchief) are noted to be brown (like the Type II) instead of being blue (like the Type I). This is because of the design of the actual ship being an intermediary between the two types, with the funnel of the later type (which you can tell by comparing her backpack gear with Fubuki and Ayanami, resembling more like the latter than the former) and the guns of the earlier type.
- Iconic Item: Her anchor on the end of a long chain quickly becomes one, as it helps distinguishing her from most of her sister ships.
- Innocent Innuendo: Occurs in her 1500 hourly line:Uranami: It's 15:00! Ayanami and Shikinami have such nice figures don't they? Uranami is a bit jealous. Ah, no I didn't mean it like that...
- Together in Death: Her sinking like implies this.Uranami: It seems like this is it for Uranami. Isonami nee-san... Ayanami... Shikinami... everyone... where are you?
Voiced by: Nao Touyama
- "Nice to meet you. I'm Ayanami, a special class destroyer."
- Glass Cannon: Her second remodel grants her outstanding firepower which is second only to Yuudachi (surpassing her as of December 27th, 2017 update), and is the second-strongest destroyer in terms of night battle firepower* . However, she has twice the luck compared to Yuudachi and comes with a star-shell that further increases her cut-in chance. That being said, due to her being a destroyer, she would end up getting heavily damaged if she was targeted and get hit.
- Guns Akimbo: On her 2nd remodel.
- Third-Person Person: She refers to herself as such in a few of her lines.
- Those Two Guys: With Shikinami in fanworks, and the Calm Seas manga where no chapter goes by without the two of them making a background cameo.
- Took a Level in Badass: From being one of many average Com Mon destroyers to one of the best night battle destroyers in the game with outstanding offensive stats and great luck (40), plus she comes with a Searchlight and Star-burst shells, giving her great accuracy in Night Battles. This is based on her Real Life actions. Her second remodel represents her performance during her final mission, a night battle where she formed a single 'prong' of a three-pronged attack alone (other prongs each contained a light cruiser and multiple destroyers), sank (or helped sink) three destroyers, heavily damaged a fourth, and assisted Kirishima in trading fire with a battleship, the USS South Dakota.
Voiced by: Nao Touyama
- "I'm Shikinami. I'll be in your care."
- Boisterous Bruiser: Has a lot of pride in her abilities as a destroyer.
- Cannot Spit It Out: Her marriage line.Shikinami: "Commander, yeah, I've got something I wanna tell you, nah, it's not a complaint or anything, you know? Erm.. Umm... man, I can't say it!"
- Foil: She is more informal compared to the polite Ayanami.
- This Cannot Be!: If she gets sunk.Shikinami: Eh!? I can't...believe..that I'm sinking...
- Those Two Guys: With Ayanami in fanworks.
- Tsundere: Implied in some of her lines.Shikinami: Don't call me if you don't have business with me... It's not like I hate it.
- "Alright, let's go! I'm Amagiri, from the Ayanami-class! Take care of me, admiral!"
- Amazonian Beauty: Albeit Downplayed in comparison to what is usually seen, it's a notable example for being applied to a destroyer of all things. Indeed, her Kai damaged art displays visible abs on her midsection.
- Historical In-Joke: Some of her lines have her talk about a president, how the admiral will become a great person, with her library line outright mentioning she raised a man into becoming president. This references the real-life event when, during the Pacific War, Amagiri had rammed into PT-109, a US Navy torpedo boat, splitting the latter ship in half and capsizing it on August 2, 1943. PT-109's captain at the time, Lieutenant Junior Grade John F. Kennedy, would then become the President of the United States 20 years later (with the captain of Amagiri at the time of the accident attending his presidential inauguration).
- Meganekko: The only special type destroyer to wear glasses.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: The tomboy to Sagiri's girly girl. Becomes all the more evident with their Fall CGs.
- Tomboyish Ponytail: Wears a rather thin ponytail and is a generally outgoing girl.
- "Admiral, ummm... I'm the Ayanami-class destroyer, Sagiri. I'll do my best to be of assistance."
- Born Unlucky: Has a luck of 6 unremodeled, 7 remodeled. She was the first casualty by an allied submarine in the war.
- Hair Decorations: A violet headband with a bow on the side.
- Sorry That I'm Dying: Her sinking line.Sagiri: "I'm sinking again...it's too early...Amagiri, I'm sorry. I'm...sinking first...again..."
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: The girly girl to Amagiri's tomboy. Becomes all the more evident with their Fall CGs.
Voiced by: Kozue Hayasaka
- "I'm the Ayanami-class destroyer Oboro. I won't lose to anyone. Probably."
- Art Shift: She and her sisters got vastly improved seasonal art for Summer 2015 and she got herself a new remodel CG. Hard to believe it's the same artist.
- Hidden Buxom: Her Summer 2015 seasonal sprite reveals to the surprise of many that she's only a little behind Ushio in the bustiness department.
- She finally receives an upgraded Kai sprite for Christmas 2015, and it shows just how far Drew's art had improved by then
- Cute Little Fangs: Easy to miss, but yes, she has them.
- Development Gag: Her remodel CG features her with a long 10cm twin turret. This is an artifact from the game's beginnings which, at the time, gave all generic destroyers such a turret upon remodel. While there are a few destroyers who have different art upon their first remodel, including a few who debuted at the game's beginnings like her, she is the only one (until Sazanami's own new remodel CG) who is actually portrayed with that turret for this reason.
- Face Death with Dignity: If she gets sunk.Oboro: Well... I am a destroyer... aren't I?
- Iconic Item: Bandages and her pet crab. Later seasonal art adds starfish as well, which culminates in all three appearing in her upgraded Kai art.
- Instant Bandages: The Pointless Band-Aid on her cheek instantly transforms into a square compress once she gets damaged.
- She's Got Legs: A particular focus for her revised Kai art.
Voiced by: Kozue Hayasaka
- "Special-type destroyer, Akebono. Hey! Don't look at me, you shitty Admiral!"
- Art Shift: As many ship girls do, she gained much improved (albeit temporary) art for the summer and New Years of 2015, as well as a few more subsequent seasons, and later received her own improved remodel CG.
- Boisterous Bruiser: Has a lot of pride in her abilities and complains if she receives equipment or is docked.Akebono: Enemy? Hehehh, let them come!
- Freudian Excuse: Her dislike of the Admiral and abrasive personality are based on the service of the historical Akebono, which suffered a lot of undeserved abuse and mismanagement from the higher ups in the IJN.Explanation
- Hair Decorations: A flower and circular chime hairtie.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: She will get mad at the Admiral for virtually every thing he/she does.
- Holiday Mode: She has a new portrait for New Year 2015 which features her with a kimono and a broom.
- Jerkass: Towards the Admiral; however in the face of her companions she behaves normally.
- In some fanarts, she behaves this way especially towards her fellow members of the 7th Destroyer Division. However she actually cares for them.
- Rapunzel Hair: More noticeable in her Kai, which goes past her knees.
- Sir Swears-a-Lot: With the Admiral as her target, calling him/her "shitty" all the time.Akebono: Using upgrade as an excuse, you really just want to see my naked body, don't you, you shitty Admiral!
- Slipknot Ponytail: Her sidetail comes off in her damaged art.
- Tsundere: For the Admiral, if only slightly. It's more noticeable in her Valentine and White Day lines, however.Akebono: Major victory! Go on and praise me, you shitty Admiral!
- You're Insane!: Se seems to think such of the Admiral if her marriage line is to be considered.Akebono: To call me out to such a place, you think you're so great, don't you, you shitty Admiral... I mean, what's with you confessing to me! Are you a masochist!?
- Zettai Ryouiki: Immediately gets a Grade A with the thigh-highs on her updated, post-Fall 2016 Kai art.
Voiced by: Kozue Hayasaka
- "Ayanami-class Destroyer 'Sazanami', Master. You write it like this, but read it as 'Sazanami'"
- Alternate Character Reading: As noted in her introductory line. Her name can also be read as "Ren".
- Art Shift: She gained temporary new art for Christmas 2014 and the summer of 2015.
- Much like Oboro, she received a new Kai art with the 8/31/16 update.
- Beware the Silly Ones: Even Sazanami herself knows it.Sazanami: Everyone thinks I'm just playing around, but well, a bit of effort is amazing, yeah?
- Determinator: As shown in her battle lines.Sazanami: You won't escape, Sazanami is persistent!
- Development Gag: Her new remodel CG features a long 10cm twin turret for the same reasons as Oboro (listed above).
- Hair Decorations: Hair bobbles in her Girlish Pigtails.
- Happy Holidays Dress: Gains a Santa Meido cosplay complete with cake for Christmas 2014. A slightly modified version of this returns for Christmas 2015, but with an even bigger and fancier cake.
- Iconic Item: Her bunny button and the rabbit on her 12.7 cm gun.
- Meido: Besides her Christmas outfit, her new remodel CG features her with a modified uniform being a fusion between her usual Sailor Fuku and a maid uniform, complementing her habit of refering to the player/admiral as "Master".
- Otaku: Sazanami speaks 2ch slang, makes references to random trivia, and refers to the Admiral as "Master" in the same way a maid cafe waitress would a customer.Sazanami: Welcome back! Master ♪
- Rose-Haired Sweetie: Pink-haired and is a cheerful girl, especially towards the admiral.
- Slipknot Ponytail: One of her twintails come off in her damaged CG.
- Starter Equipment: She is one of the five starter ships a player can choose to start out with.
- Third-Person Person: She often refers to herself in the third person.Sazanami: Even Sazanami can sometimes be earnest too, working working♪
Voiced by: Kozue Hayasaka
- "I'm Special-type Destroyer.... Ayanami-class 'Ushio'. It would be nice to be dismissed soon..."
- Art Shift: See Oboro's entry, although less so with her second remodel artwork being more inline with the current art style by her artist.
- Berserk Button: She might sound like an easily-frightened mouse most of the time, but don't mess with her fellow companions.Ushio: You are not allowed to hurt my comrades!
- Born Lucky: Downplayed. At 32 base Luck in her Kai Ni, while it is above average, it is quite low for being one of the few IJN ships to survive the whole war and also being the only member of the Pearl Harbor strike force who survived.
- Buxom Is Better: Her popularity is pretty much tied to her chest size.
- Cannot Spit It Out: Her marriage line.Ushio: "Admiral, I adore... No, wait... respect you! Yes! Always!"
- Fragile Flower: Quite shy and demure.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: Prone to give this from time to time.
- Hidden Buxom: Revealed when she suffers Clothing Damage. Her rather impressive rack for a destroyer girl is a reference to the Ushio Shrine in Kumamoto prefecture, dedicated to the "God of Breasts".
- Iconic Item: Her pink 12.7 cm gun.
- Idiot Hair: She has a small one that swirls in front of her.
- Shrinking Violet: Puts both Jintsuu and Haguro to shame.Ushio: I... was helpful?.. Ah... don't stare, everybody... It's embarrassing...
- Sole Survivor: Of her ship class. In addition, she was the only ship who was present in the Pearl Harbor strike force who survived all the way to the war's end.
- Took a Level in Badass: Her Second Remodel. While it doesn't feature any big improvements to her Offense, her Defense has improved greatly with great AA and ASW. She also comes with the Camo-Headband-Assertiveness triple pack, making sure she at least looks the bit.
- Curtains Match the Window: All four of them have hair and eyes of matching colors.
- A Day in the Limelight: The Sixth Destroyer Division are the focus of Episode 6 of the anime, where they practise their culinary skills in preparation for a curry cooking competition.
- Iconic Item: A "III" clip, signifying that they are the third generation of special-type destroyers (the Fubuki super-class).
- Image Song: "Morning at the Naval Base"
- Nice Hat:
- Akatsuki and Hibiki wear a dark flat cap with an anchor symbol in front.
- Verniy wears a white flat cap with a red star and a red hammer & sickle.
- Proper Tights with a Skirt: Ironically, Inazuma, the most proper and feminine of the bunch, is the only one who doesn't sport this.
- Those Two Girls: All four of them are seen together at all times in the anime adaptation.
Voiced by: Aya Suzaki (Japanese), Monica Rial (English)
- "I'm Akatsuki! Treat me like the fully-fledged lady that I am!"
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl: Tries to invoke this trope unsuccesfully.
- At least in her Kai Ni, she does manage to do it.
- Character Tic: Her need to be treated and seen as a sophisticated lady.
- Cool Big Sis: Or tries to be.
- Gratuitous English: In the "Akatsuki's Dream" drama CD, this is how Akatsuki greets Hibiki after the latter was remodeled to Verniy.Akatsuki: How are you? I'm fine thank you.
- Insistent Terminology: She insists on being treated like a proper lady...
- Irony: ...which only serves to make her look childish instead. To add to the irony, she also sulks about being deployed to tough battles or being given heavy equipment. She even makes childish exclamations while being attacked.
- Just a Kid: Believes the Admiral treats her like this, much to her chagrin. For example, in her hourly notification lines, she asks the Admiral to buy her a luxurious lunch and the Admiral buys her a child lunch instead. Luckily, she didn't notice...until her marriage line.Akatsuki: To have a meal with the Commander, just the two of us, as a lady.... Wait! Why do I have juice? Furthermore, why does the pilaf have a flag in it!
- Keigo: As part of her attempts to act like a lady, she frequently tries to speak in a polite way.
- Malaproper: In the anime, in an effort to appear more sophisticated and adult-like, Akatsuki tries use a lot of difficult words. Unfortunately, she just mangles them in the process (see how "elegant" turned into "elephant"), which makes her look even more childish in the process.
- Proper Lady: Subverted in Akatsuki's case. She proclaims herself to be one, acts seriously and does her best to be one, but her miniature stature makes it hard for others to take her seriously, which makes her frustrated. Some of her lines in the game justify how she is treated.Akatsuki: ''I'm NOT a kid!" (when attacking)
- Stop Poking Me!: In her secretary lines she complains about being petted by the Admiral, because it makes look childish. In fandom this becomes a Memetic Mutation and most of her fanart involves the Admiral petting her.Akatsuki: Don't pat my head like that! Didn't I say that I'm not a child anymore?
Akatsuki: C-c-c-commander, as you've done your best, I'll give you some praise. Stick out your head.
- Though apparently she doesn't seem to dislike it and after she is married she pets the Admiral.
- Third-Person Person: Usually refers to herself in this manner.
- Took a Level in Badass: While it doesn't made her the proper lady she proclaims herself to be, her 2nd remodel gives her 3rd best maximum Firepower and Torpedo stat, and the highest LOS stat among all destroyers. She also comes equipped with a Searchlight which, as seen in her Kai Ni art, reflects on her last mission at Guadalcanal * .
Voiced by: Aya Suzaki (Japanese), Apphia Yu (English)
- "I'm Hibiki. I'm also referred to as "The Phoenix" from my exploits."
- Artistic License – Ships: Verniy is not fully depicted with her Soviet armaments from her refit. While the artwork depicts her with the original 127mm/50 Type 3 guns in the Model B twin mount (these were replaced with 130mm/50 B-13 guns in B2-LM twin mounts, the exact same guns and turrets as those on the Tashkent and on Ognevoi-class destroyers), she at least is drawn with her post-refit quad torpedo launchers (essentially spare launchers for one of the Leningrad-class destroyer leaders). However, she is devoid of equipment upon refit. Compare and contrast her Warship Girls counterpart◊ who is not only correctly depicted in artwork with the post-refit armament, she also has the equipment in her actual equipment list post-refit.
- Born Lucky: Not entirely played straight (she only has slightly more luck than other ships); she is only lucky in the way that she avoided most of the Curb Stomp Battles by being conveniently in repairs during those times, which she also lampshades:Hibiki (If docked while heavily damaged): The secret of the Phoenix is the timing of its repairs.
- The above is why Verniy is the war surviving ship with one of the lowest lucks (20, only above average) and one of the most durable destroyers in the game with a HP count of 37 (Equal to Akizuki and higher than Shimakaze, both are significantly larger and heavier than she is). *
- Bucket Helmet: In episode 6 of the anime she wears the cooking pot that Yuubari made on her head for some reason.
- Catch Phrase: "Khorosho" ("Good" in Russian) ends up being her catchphrase in the anime, as she doesn't say much of anything else until episode 6.
- Dying as Yourself: If she gets sunk as Verniy.Verniy: My true name is Hibiki... Dasvidanya... Farewell.
- Emotionless Girl: It's speculated that being the only WWII survivor among her sisters made her rather dour.
- Gender-Blender Name: As per Red Fleet/Russian Navy naming conventions, Verniy is a masculine name.
- Gratuitous Russian: Not quite, as the 4koma reveals that she has a very limited Russian vocabulary.
Здравствуйте. (a formal way of saying "hello")Меня зовут Верный. ("My name is Verniy.")
- Although after being remodeled to Verniy, she sprinkles somewhat more Russian in her speech. In the "Akatsuki's Dream" drama CD, she introduces herself to the other DesDiv6 members in Russian.
- Image Song: "The Khorosho That Echoes Anywhere"
- In Universe Nickname: Implied, where Gangut's mention of "little one" in her hourly lines is thought to be Hibiki.
- Magikarp Power: Her second remodel (Verniy) is obtainable at level 70. Although she is generally regarded as one of the weaker second remodels, she still has great stats for a destroyer, having high armor and HP along with decent firepower and torpedo stats.
- It gets even better as of 2016 leap day update, as she can now equip (medium) torpedo bulges, sacrificing her evasion for higher armor stats, a single one of which would increase her defense to be even higher than Amatsukaze, who has the highest base armor stats among destroyers. She can also equip Daihatsu landing crafts, and has the lowest remodeling requirement among the Daihatsu-carrying destroyers until 2016 April 1st update introduces three destroyers that can carry them at the remodel level of 65.
- Not So Stoic: In Episode 6, she, along with her sisters, freak out over Yuubari's welding mask.
- Only Sane Man: While she has some quirks, she serves in this role to the other members of DesDiv6 in the anime.
- Sole Survivor: Of the Akatsuki-class.
- The Stoic: Doesn't emote much, and often communicates in a low voice.
- Survivor Guilt: Not stated in game, but in fanworks.
- Vodka Drunkenski: Sometimes portrayed this way in fanworks, as she used to be the only representative of the Soviet Navy in the game until Gangut came up.
- Subverted in canon with the Anchorage Counter Bar. As Hibiki, she drinks juice like her sisters, but switches to beer and whiskey with her remodel to Verniy. However, she is not counted as one of the "hard drinkers" who keep drinking after 1 a.m.
- What Is This Thing You Call "Love"?: Her marriage line implies this.Hibiki/Verniy: "Commander, things like love and passion... what are they...? Eh? You'll teach me?"
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Light blue, to be exact.
Voiced by: Aya Suzaki (Japanese), Lara Woodhull (English)
- "I'm Ikazuchi! Not 'Kaminari'! I'll ask again later!"
- All Take and No Give: Some of her lines imply that she wants the Admiral to rely on her more than everyone else. This is often blown out of proportions in fanarts where she's almost like Admiral's mom, granting her the nickname "O-Kan" or "Loli O-Kan" (a pun containing okan/mother and kan/ship).Ikazuchi: Yeah, you can rely on me ever more!
- Alternate Character Reading: Her name can be alternatively read as "Kaminari". She also lampshades it.
- Anchors Away: She's shown holding an anchor, which some fanarts made into her weapon.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: It appears she is one towards the Admiral. Not to Kongou's extent, but she wants the Admiral to be dependent on her. Even if she is sinking, she gets more worried about the fact that she won't see the Admiral anymore.
- Cute Little Fangs: Sports one.
- Flanderization: In canon, she is very loyal to the Admiral and frequently points out that she'll always be there for him/her. In fanworks, she can range from a devoted housewife to a Clingy Jealous Girl to a Yandere.
Ikazuchi: Commander, I'm here for you, aren't I?
- Also, in the Drama CD she is actually helpful to everyone, but fans often ignore that.
- Genki Girl: And proud of it.
- Nice Girl: She, along with her sister, Inazuma, has this personality. Apparently, this is a reference to the humanitarian act of her historical counterpart, where Ikazuchi/Inazuma pair rescued about 900 stranded survivors from the Royal Navy and US Navy ships that were sunk a day earlier.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The Red to Inazuma's Blue.
- The Leader: Due to being the first of her class made, she's shown as the leader of the group, and this tendency is the forepoint of her personality.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: Her lines imply this. She wants the Admiral's approval and sulks heavily if s/he doesn't.
Voiced by: Aya Suzaki (Japanese), Camille Liedtka (English)
- "I'm Inazuma. Pleased to met you."
- All-Loving Hero: How she is often portrayed in fanworks and official media alike.
- Children Are Innocent: Up to 11 in fanworks.
- Cute Clumsy Girl: Her lines hint to this. Most likely portrayed as such in reference to the very notable count of collision accidents that her historic counterpart had got into.
Inazuma: Beware of ramming.
- The IJN and JMSDF have had a total of four ships named Inazuma (Kancolle's being the second one). The first Inazuma was an Ikazuchi-class destroyer which served in the Boxer Rebellion and the Russo-Japanese War before being sunk in a collision with a merchant vessel off Hakodate in 1909. The third Inazuma (DE-203, Ikazuchi-class destroyer escort) also proceeded to rack up collisions like nobody's business. Thankfully, the fourth and still afloat today Inazuma (DD-105, Murasame-class destroyer) seems mostly safe.
- Nice Girl: She, along with her sister, Ikazuchi, has this personality. Apparently, this is a reference to the humanitarian act of her historical counterpart, where Ikazuchi/Inazuma pair rescued about 900 stranded survivors from the Royal Navy and US Navy ships that were sunk a day earlier.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Fans have given her a "Plasma-chan" persona which is rather fearsome with "NanoDEATH" as her tic.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The Blue to Ikazuchi's Red.
- Reluctant Warrior: Her dialogue hints at wanting to avoid combat if possible and wanting to save the enemy ships.Inazuma: I want to win the war, but I also want to save lives... Is that weird?
- Shrinking Violet: She is one very shy girl.
- Starter Equipment: A popular choice of new players due to how cute she is.
- Third-Person Person: Refers to herself like this at times.
- Verbal Tic: She doesn't actually have one in the game, but fandom has it as nanodesu. She was given a few new lines added with nanodesu in, but it still isn't enough to be considered a Verbal Tic. She's also remembered for her "Hawawawa~" tic.
- Played straight in the anime, as she rarely lets a sentence go by without adding "nanodesu" to the end of it.
Voiced by: Motoko Kobayashi
- "We are Hatsuharu. We thank you in advance."
- Anti-Gravity Clothing: Some mechanical chevron-like thing floating over her head.
- Antiquated Linguistics: Talks in a very formal and archaic register, with the design to complement it. This is translated as an equally archaic queenly speech, complete with Royal "We".
- Attack Drone: How her 12.7 cm guns are portrayed until her second remodel.
- Irony: The 4koma has her lament the fact that she's top heavy and having it thrown around as a joke. One glance at her hair and you should see why.
- Paper Fan of Doom: Though she probably doesn't use it in battle.
- Proper Lady: Her eyebrows, fan and manner of speech are meant to convey the image of a Heian-era noblewoman.
- Rapunzel Hair: If her hair wasn't put in a ponytail (which is already pretty long), it would most likely pass by her feet!
- When she has her second remodel, her ponytail loses a bit of its length in exchange for becoming even thicker.
- She's Got Legs: Especially prominent in her Kai Ni art, where she loses her thigh highs.
- This Cannot Be!: If she gets sunk.Hatsuharu: We are... sinking?
- Took a Level in Badass: She goes from being one of many destroyers with generic stats to having offensive and defensive stats on par with Shigure. She notably gains slightly more AA than Shigure as well as having excellent torpedoes for the price of lower firepower.
- Unusual Eyebrows: Comma-shaped eyebrows evoking the Hikimayu phenomenon from the Heian period.
- Zigzag Paper Tassel: She wears two of these in her hair and gains another two on her shirt after her Kai Ni.
Voiced by: Motoko Kobayashi
- "Hello, it's Nenohi. I hope my name wasn't hard to read, yes?"
- Anti-Gravity Clothing: Some mechanical ear-like things floating over the sides of her head.
- Arm Cannon: Has a 12.7cm Twin Cannon on her right hand and a single cannon on her left.
- Braids of Action: With a Hair Antennae.
- Pungeon Master: Several of her lines are about what day is today and answering with her own name, which essentially means "New Year's day".
- Rapunzel Hair: Her braid goes past her waist.
- Rose-Haired Sweetie: She has pink hair and she's Very talkative and playful.
- Shout-Out:Nenohi (when battling): USELESS! USELESS! USELESS~!
- Sorry That I'm Dying: If she gets sunk.Nenohi: Sorry... Admiral... I'll go ahead.
Voiced by: Motoko Kobayashi
- "Destroyer, Wakaba."
- Boyish Short Hair: Has shorter hair than her sisters and is the least feminine of them.
- Determinator: She is serious even when acting as the Admiral's secretary!Wakaba: Even without sleep for 24 hours I'm okay.
- Feel No Pain: Everytime she gets attacked, she says she's fine...Wakaba (if damaged): It hurts... but, I don't mind...
- Proper Tights with a Skirt
- The Stoic: Only speaks a few words if necessary and she only displays any emotion when it comes to battles.
- Those Two Guys: With Hatsushimo in fanworks.
Voiced by: Motoko Kobayashi
- "Fourth ship of the Hatsuharu-class, Hatsushimo. Everyone, I'm very pleased to meet you!"
- Anti-Air: On her second remodel, she becomes one of the best AA destroyers, complete with dedicated AA equipment and a great AA stat.
- Born Lucky: This is not literally the case for her, but with her second remodel, she now boasts the third highest base luck and the second highest max luck in the whole game due to having done something that not even Yukikaze had done: coming out of Operation Ten-Go practically unscathed. She was also the final IJN warship to be put out of action in the war (she was not sunk per se, but hit a mine and was beached by her crew); the only Japanese destroyers to have lasted longer were Ushio, Hibiki and Yukikaze.
- Celibate Hero: In her wedding line she politely rejects the Admiral because she is not interested in romance yet. Nevertheless she accepted the ring despite of it.
- Cute Clumsy Girl: According to Wakaba. Which is based on Real Life facts: Hatsushimo collided with Wakaba in dense fog, forcing Wakaba to have 2 months of repairs.Wakaba: Ah, be careful of heavy fog. It's easy to get hit. Especially Hatsushimo, you need to watch out for her.
- Declaration of Protection: Wants to save all the fellow ships she can. Which is based on her Real Life actions.Hatsushimo: Even if it's just one boat, just one man, if I can save them, then I'm satisfied.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: Wears a single stocking in her left leg in her 2nd remodel. Again, this is implied to be from emulating Yamato as an Operation Ten-Go participant.
- Martial Arts Headband: Gains one in her second remodel. The 4koma joked about it, with Wakaba thinking that it's a Necktie Headband and Hatsushimo denying it.
- Nice Guy: Hatsushimo is known to be very humble and polite, and willing to protect her comrades. According to another wiki, her personality is loosely based on her last captain, Sakawa Masazou (酒勾雅三), who was stated to be a devoted humanitarian.
- The Nondescript: Despite her record (being one of the few surviving ships of Operation Ten-Go), the circumstances of her wreckage, and the fact that she was the last destroyer to be put out of commission during the war, her generic design and Memetic Mutation put her squarely as this.
- Those Two Guys: With Wakaba in fanworks.
- Took a Level in Badass: Her second remodel. She has excellent defensive abilities as well as exceptional luck (see above). She also gets to look the part! The contrast is very much a reference to her real-life history; Hatsuharu-class destroyers were typically not used for dangerous operations, but by the time of Operation Ten-Go there were very few options left. Essentially, she became a badass out of necessity.
- Blonde, Brunette, Redhead: Yuudachi (blonde), Shigure (brunette), and Kawakaze (redhead).
- Hereditary Hairstyle: Downplayed via the ships with second remodels, seeing as they seem to get a pair of hair flaps in the process. May also include Yamakaze, who gets hair flaps by default.
- Nonuniform Uniform: The Shiratsuyu-class has two main uniform designs - Shiratsuyu, Murasame, Shigure, Yuudachi and Harusame all wear black sailor fukus with red trim, while Samidare and Suzukaze wear a white and blue set. Kawakaze and Umikaze, introduced in the Summer 2015 Event, wear a uniform that is a hybrid between the first two designs - mainly black (Shiratsuyu) with blue trim and prominent white parts (Samidare), elbow gloves (Samidare) but fingerless (Shigure and Yuudachi 2nd remodel) and thighhighs (Samidare). Yamakaze, introduced in the Fall 2016 Event, wears a uniform variant of Kawakaze and Umikaze, except instead of elbow gloves, they're detached sleeves.
- She Is All Grown Up: Shiratsuyu and Murasame's 1st remodel, and Yuudachi and Shigure's 2nd remodel, makes them look more mature.
- In Yuudachi's case in the anime, it becomes a bit of a plot point, as she's not only taller, but better-built in the bust department, a fact not lost on Fubuki. In the following episode, Yuudachi herself muses on how her old desk in the Destroyer classroom is now too low and too cramped for her.
- Theme Naming: The first six ships in the Shiratsuyu-class were named after rain phenomenon, while the latter four have a breeze-related namesake.
Artist: Kujou Ichiso
Voiced by: Yumi Tanibe
- "First ship of the Shiratsuyu-class destroyers, 'Shiratsuyu'! Yes, the first ship!"
- Attention Whore: Her constant references to "Number 1!" may refer to Real Life events like the Circle 1 program, where she was the first of six ships built for the then-developing tensions for World War II. Oh, and she was also designed to be the heavy hitter of the fleet.
- Character Tic: Her obsession with being the first. Naturally in fandom this leads to her getting annoyed at how Shigure and Yuudachi got second remodels before she did.
- On the meta level, the artwork on Calender 2018 November which featured her and Murasame shows her shocked face when she saw that yet another of her sisters has received Kai Ni.
- Hair Decorations: She wears an orange hairband.
- Hidden Depths: Despite being seen as the Attention Whore, in her Holiday Lines reveals more about her.
- Holiday Mode: Like her sisters, she gained a swimsuit for Summer 2015, while Fall 2016 gives her a nice yukata.
- This Cannot Be!: If she gets sunk.Shiratsuyu: What... I'm... sinking?...
Artist: Kujou Ichiso
Voiced by: Yumi Tanibe
- "I'm Shigure, of the Shiratsuyu-class destroyers. Nice to meet you."
- Ascended Extra: In Kancolle Kai she becomes one of the Starter Equipments.
- Backpack Cannon: Her most salient physical trait is her backpack rigging. As displayed in her portrait, it's a twin cannon instead of a chimney. She was often compared to a Guncannon (and still is) but, her artist revealed that she doesn't use it while it's on her back. In the case of her second remodel, she splits her rigging in two and use them as big tonfa-like guns.
- Bokukko: Makes use of the personal pronoun "Boku". It's most likely attributed to her personal preferences, though.
- Born Lucky: Not exactly born lucky, but her second remodel boosts her luck to a level third only to Yukikaze's and overall fourth.Historical note
- Broken Bird: The way she speaks highly of Fusou and Yamashiro and how borderline suicidal she is when in medium damage imply just how the Battle of Surigaou Strait traumatized her.Shigure: To think you manage to corner me like this... Well, whatever.
- Catch Phrase:Shigure: Admiral, it's a nice rain.
- Played with in her Christmas 2017 lines where she says it's a nice winter instead.
- Expository Hairstyle Change: According to the artist, the ear-like hair flaps she gains in her Kai 2 form is to give her the image of a faithful hound.
- Face Death with Dignity: If she gets sunk.Shigure: Looks like this is it for me... Admiral, everyone... Goodbye.
- Happy Holidays Dress: Her Kai 2 gains a custom Christmas-themed sprite for Christmas 2014.
- Her Kai 2 also gets a Valentine-themed sprite and a summer swimsuit (which she had since last year), which had lasted throughout the Winter and Summer 2015 Event respectively.
- The Quiet One: She, until Yamakaze's debut, was the most soft-spoken of the Shiratsuyu class. Her dialogues are either very curt or she mumbles them out at the end.
- Red Baron: Referred as Shigure of Sasebo* , an epithet similar to Yukikaze of Kure due to her being one of the lucky ships during the war.
- Tragic Keepsake: On her second remodel, Shigure starts wearing the Fusou sisters' hair decorations as a sign of remembrance, referring to their real-life fate during the Battle of Surigao Strait.Shigure: "Fusou and Yamashiro were amazing... Even if everyone else forgets, I will be the one to remember them..."
- Those Two Girls: With Yuudachi especially in fanarts as being the the first two ships of her class to get second remodels.
Artist: Kujou Ichiso
Voiced by: Yumi Tanibe
- "Yes ye~s! I'm the Shiratsuyu-class destroyer 'Murasame'! Everyone, nice to meet you!"
- Boisterous Bruiser: She is proud of her record-history as a ship, even calling her class the "Rainy Sisters". She becomes even more so after second remodel, and she can back this up to some extent.Murasame: "I'll show some a little of Murasame's greatness!"
- Cool Big Sis: To Harusame, judging by her (Harusame's) lines.
- Eye Colour Change: Downplayed, only one of her eyes becomes a crimson red color with her second remodel.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: Her second remodel is noticably biased to her right side, with only a single pantyhose leg and undershirt arm to that side (she has a thighhigh and her usual anchor to the other side instead), not to mention her single red eye, also to that side.
- Foreshadowing: At the end of 2017, her artist had mentioned on his twitter the fact he'd hidden a 'little surprise' in Kancolle's 2018 Calendar, which features a artwork of a picture of Murasame and Shiratsuyu together. This showed Murasame in an outfit and telltale Kai Ni design, complete with the class' hair flaps. Come January 17, her second remodel is implemented.
- Gratuitous English: In some of her lines.
- Hot-Blooded: Her battle lines has some shades of this, though not to the extent of Kawakaze and Suzukaze.
- Hotter and Sexier: Post-remodeling, also a result of Art Evolution.
- Holiday Mode: She also gained a special sprite for the Fall 2015 saury fishing event, which makes its return in Fall 2016.
- I Regret Nothing: If she gets sunk.Murasame: I did the best I could... that's great... farewell...
- Motor Mouth: Because of her cheerfulness.
- Necessary Drawback: Due to her relatively unimpressive historical battle record, she needs an Action Report for her second remodel. She doesn't need a blueprint on top of it like Naganami, however.
- Nice Hat: She gains a beret for her second remodel.
- Rapunzel Hair: Tied into Mega Twintails. This becomes especially prevalent in her second remodel.
- Took a Level in Badass: Her second remodel boosts her maximum Firepower from 49 to 68 and also gives her a respectable torpedo and Anti-Air stat with a readily-improved AA gun, alongside the ability to equip Daihatsu Landing Craft and Fleet Command Facilitynote .
Artist: Kujou Ichiso
Voiced by: Yumi Tanibe (Japanese), Leah Clark (English) (anime)
- "Hi, I'm Yuudachi, a Shiratsuyu-class destroyer. Nice to meet you!"
- Ascended Extra: Becomes part of the protagonist ensemble in the anime.
- Badass Adorable: Shown more prominently post-second remodel. While she is seen as scary in the eyes of the enemy, she still behaves childishly towards her Admiral or to her fellow shipgirls.
- Badass Boast: Her second remodel, spoken at the start of both day and night battle, as well as sometimes during day battle. And in the Shimakaze manga.Yuudachi: "I'll show you the Nightmare of Solomon."
- Blood Knight: Post second remodel she becomes more fight-happy.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: She's depicted as somewhat whimsical and not the most focused of ship girls, but she's still the most powerful destroyer there is.
- Dumb Blonde: Yuudachi's characterization in the anime.
- Expository Hairstyle Change: Again, according to the artist, the ear-like hair flaps she gains in her Kai Ni form is to give her the "ferocious hound" image that she gained from her last battle.
- Eye Colour Change: Her eyes change colour from green to red when she gets her second remodel. In the anime her eyes also light up to a glowing red during battle.
- Fanservice Pack: Not only she gets taller after remodel, but also bigger 'fuel tanks' as visible in her summer CG. No wonder Fubuki gets jealous.
- Genki Girl: Being the rainy season or the hot summer, she's almost always happy and energetic.
- Glass Cannon: Maximized, she has the raw firepower of a heavy cruiser and torpedo stats second only to Shimakaze, giving her the highest firepower during the night battle, but she has lower health than the other Kai 2 ships (besides Shigure and Hatsuharu) and even the standard Kagerou and Yuugumo-classes.
- Hair Decorations: The signature thin, black bow on the top of her head, and later the hairclip on her 2nd remodel.
- Holiday Mode: She gained a hatsumode-themed kimono for New Year 2014, a swimsuit for Summer 2015, and fall wear for Autumn 2016.
- Multicolored Hair: Her second remodel gives her blonde hair pink tips, which only makes her look more badass.
- Oblivious to Love: Her response when the admiral confesses to her.Yuudachi: "Admiral, your face is, like, red? Why? Love consultation? Person I like? Eh, no way, what should I do~?"
- Red Baron: Proclaims herself as the "Nightmare of Solomon" (see below).
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Her second remodel changes her eye colour from green to red, and her firepower gets a bump to the level of a heavy cruiser. She's still on the side of the good guys, but now she's gotten more excitable and aggressive in battle.
- Scarf Of Asskicking: With the massive firepower she gains from her second remodel, among other things she also gets a distinctive scarf to complement it.
- This Cannot Be!: Her line pre-2nd remodel.Yuudachi: Don't tell me... I'm, like sinking?
- Those Two Girls: Paired with Shigure especially on fanart as the first 2 Kai Ni Destroyer in their class.
- Took a Level in Badass: Her '2nd' Upgrade form, which reflects her battles during the Guadalcanal and Solomon Islands Campaign where she single-handedly knocked-out a cruiser as well as several destroyers.
- Valley Girl: How her speech patterns and "poi" is translated into English.
- Verbal Tic: "poi". As it literally means "like", this is translated as Valley Girl speech. Explanation
Artist: Kujou Ichiso
Voiced by: Hisako Kanemoto
- "5th Shiratsuyu-class destroyer, Harusame, yes. Leave the transport missions to me"
- Big Sister Worship: Towards Murasame, judging by her lines.
- Iconic Item: Besides her beret, she also carries with her a rice container (and after her remodel, a drum container) almost at all times.
- Rare Random Drop: Unlike the rest of the Shiratsuyu-class, she was introduced as one of Summer 2014 event rewards and was unavailable outside of event map drops until the introduction of the Map 6-3.
- Nice Hat: That beret, one of her unique features.
- Punny Name: Her name could also apply to a variant of cellophane noodles made with potato starch.Harusame: "Looks delicious... Wait, not that kind of Harusame!"
- Rose-Haired Sweetie: A sweet-hearted type.
- Verbal Tic: Ends her sentences with "desu". She also usually end her sentences with "yes" as an emphasize.
Artist: Amemiya Chiyou
Voiced by: Risa Taneda
- "My name is Samidare! I look forward to working with you. Please leave any escort missions to me!"
- Cannot Spit It Out: To the Admiral in her wedding line.Samidare: Admiral, I...the Admiral...I li...NOTHING! I'll do my best from now on too!
- Cute Clumsy Girl: Her lines hint to this. Most likely portrayed as such in reference to the very notable count of collision accidents that her historic counterpart had got into.Samidare: I won't let anyone call me clumsy anymore!
- Plucky Girl: She has a tendency to do her best, but due to her clumsy personality, it will turn out for laughs.
- Punny Name: It can be confusing to hear Mogami mention her. What is being referred to is actually the namesake phenomenon.
- Rapunzel Hair: A staple, particularly in fanart, as it's one of the few ways to tell her apart from Suzukaze.
- Repressed Memories: Implied with one of her secretary lines.Samidare: When it is night, from time to time, I think back of something. Something about apologizing to Hiei-san. But, I co~uldn't remember clearly... What was it I wonder~? ...Just a bit more...
- Sorry That I'm Dying: If she gets sunk.Samidare: I'm sorry... it seems that this is as far as I can go...
- Starter Equipment: She is one of the five girls you can choose from at the start of a new game.
- Those Two Guys: She is often drawn together with Suzukaze, due to the two of them having a different uniform from the first five Shiratsuyu-class.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Her shining blue hair is pretty iconic to her.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Around Grade A to B, but fan-artist stick it to Grade A.
Artist: Kujou Ichiso
Voiced by: Shizuka Ishigami
- "I am Umikaze, the Seventh of the Shiratsuyu-class Destroyer, and the First of the Upgraded Shiratsuyu-class. I'll be in your care, Admiral!"
- Blue Oni: To Kawakaze
- Beauty Mark: Just under her left eye, it will take a sharp eye to notice them.
- Braids of Action: A rather long one.
- Rare Random Drop: Unlike her younger sisters* , she is only available as a rare drop from from Summer 2015 E4 boss node, which is notorious for the heavily guarded Airfield Princess, making the map itself nearly impossible to farm at higher difficulties.
- Reinforced in the Fall 2015 Event, where Kawakaze dropped from a total of five nodes across three maps, while Umikaze only dropped from the E3 boss: the infamous Seaplane Tender Princess.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Grade A with her thigh-highs, but is rather obscured with the leg bands like Kawakaze's and the angle of her official art, that it could be mistaken as a pantyhose.
Artist: Kujou Ichiso
Voiced by: Chinami Hashimoto
- "I'm... of the Shiratsuyu-class destroyers... the eighth ship. Yamakaze. It's fine... Nothing really."
- Born Unlucky: Compared to her sister ships that start off with a stat of 10 to 12 at their base levels, she starts off with 6.
- Her low luck stat reflects her demise by USS Nautilus that led to her being sunk alone with all hands lost, including the fact that the IJN didn't search for her before she was officially struck from the naval registry two months later.
- Broken Bird: More so than other ships in the game, the circumstances of her sinking gave her severe trauma, resulting in her withdrawn personality.
- Dying Alone: Her greatest fear, as a result of the way in which she sank.
- Fragile Flower: Her personality is this.
- Hair Decorations: A black ribbon on top of her head as well two barrettes on her bangs.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: She claims to not remember the events of her sinking. Either that, or she's repressing them.
- Leave Me Alone!: Invoked word-for-word towards the Admiral. Becomes inverted on receiving her Kai remodel.
- Little Big Sister: She's often portrayed as shorter than Kawakaze, her younger sister.
- It is stated by her artist, that is she the shortest amongst her class because she sunk first.
- Heroic Self-Deprecation: Appears induced by her trauma.*When being resupplied* "I'm fine, really. It'd be a waste on me."
- Magikarp Power: Though downplayed compared to other destroyers with their second remodel, her offensive stat is slightly higher than the Yuugumo-class when she's remodeled at Level 45. Her base luck remains at single-digit value, however.
- Rare Random Drop: Like Umikaze before her, she is a drop from Fall 2016 Event. Somewhat downplayed in that she has a fairly high drop rate at a much easier map compared to Umikaze's, though some Admirals may take days to obtain her.
- Shrinking Violet: Unlike the rest of her sisters, Yamakaze is more curt and withdrawn and usually shy interacting with anyone beyond her sisters. She becomes slightly more cheerful after being remodeled though.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Has bright green hair.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Grade A.
Artist: Kujou Ichiso
Voiced by: Shizuka Ishigami
- "The 9th Shiratsuyu-class destroyer, Kawakaze of the revised Shiratsuyu-class. Nice to meet you! Ah, about the reading of my name, do not get it wrong!"
- Alternate Character Reading: Her kanji "江風" is a special reading, as "江" is usually pronounced either "e" or "kou" to mean "bay" or "inlet", but the Chinese reading and translation is "river", hence her intro line.
- Badass Bandolier: She gains a sling of depth charges in her second remodel.
- Bare Your Midriff: Her blouse is open under the bust to show off her navel, unlike everyone else in her class. She loses this trait in her Kai Ni form however.
- Braids of Action: Her pigtails give way to two of these on her second remodel.
- Fangirl: One of the few who isn't annoyed by Sendai's night battle antics, gladly joining in with her. Evident with her 19:00 and 20:00 hourly lines.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: Has an X-Marked leg band on her left hip on her base and Kai form. Gets averted with her Kai-2 upon gaining a matching leg band.
- Fiery Redhead: Red hair? Check. Hot-Blooded? Very.
- Fingerless Gloves: A black pair.
- Girlish Pigtails: A pair of long ones.
- Hair Decorations: A white and red headband and red bows on her twintails.
- Happy Holidays Dress: Gets a yukata CG during Fall 2015 update and a Santa outfit during Christmas 2015 update (immediately after the end of Summer and Fall 2015 Event respectively). And she is enjoying both seasons passionately from her seasonal line too.
- Hot-Blooded: Probably the most compared to her sisters, next to Suzukaze.
- Rapunzel Hair: The hair that isn't tied back into her tails fall to her knees.
- Red Oni: To Umikaze
- Scarf Of Asskicking: Gains a two-tone scarf with tattered edges in her Kai-2 form
- Shout-Out: Several people have noticed that her overall Kai-Ni design is very similar to Black Getter's. It's enough for her to get the nickname "Getter Wanco".
- The Tease: One of her docking lines ain't subtle:Kawakaze: Oh well. Gonna take a long bath. You wanna join me, Admiral? Ha, kidding.
- Those Two Girls: She's often drawn with Umikaze, who wears the same outfit as her, until Yamakaze was implemented in Fall 2016.
- Took a Level in Badass: Gains a Kai-2 barely a year after her introduction which not only gives her an across-the-board stat boost, but also gives her the same 12.7 Type-B Main Guns as Yuudachi Kai-2, a Star Shell for Night Battles, AND the ability to carry Daihatsu Landing crafts for expeditions or maps with resource nodes. Not only that, her look becomes even more badass than Shigure's or Yuudachi's, taking some cues from Kiso's and Sendai's own Kai-2s, and also giving her similar hair flaps to her sisters.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Grade A with her thigh-highs, but is rather obscured with the leg bands.
Artist: Amemiya Chiyou
Voiced by: Risa Taneda
- "'ello! I'm Suzukaze. If I join the fleet it will be equivalent to 100 ships!"
- Boisterous Bruiser: Just see her introductory line. She also a shameless showboat; as can be seen in the Arcade, she gun-twirls everytime she calls her shelling phase.
- Cannot Spit It Out: To the Admiral in her wedding line.Suzukaze: Emmm. I... the A...admira... li... Ugh. ...Nothing....You're wrong! I said nothing!
- Genki Girl: She's very eager to go out on sorties.
- Girlish Pigtails: To differentiate her from Samidare.
- Guns Akimbo: Carries a twin 12.7cm turret in each hand.
- Hot-Blooded: Surprising, especially when compared to her sister Samidare.
- Ironic Name: Her name means "cool breeze", which contrasts sharply with her Hot-Blooded personality.