Characters: Battle Arena Toshinden
Battle Arena Toshinden
had a fairly diverse and interesting cast, some of which with quite complex personalities. For those of you who want to know a little more about the game's characters, here's the sheet. Please feel free to add to this list and to correct any mistakes.
Also, beware of spoilers!
open/close all folders
Introduced in Battle Arena Toshinden
The main protagonist of the series. Eiji is a young Japanese swordsman/traveler who seeks to improve his swordfighting skills while searching for his missing older brother, Sho.
Eiji's best friend and rival. Kayin is a
British bounty hunter who seeks to find the murderer of his adoptive father and eventually learns that it was Sho
who killed him.
- The Atoner: He tries to be this for his adopted daughter Naru, since he's the one who murdered the girl's real father, and he never forgave himself for that.
- Bad Ass: And how.
- Cool Sword
- Excalibur: The name of Kayin's Long Sword.
- Extremity Extremist: Kayin's fighting style is mostly dependent on kicks.
- Knight in Sour Armor
- Mr. Fanservice: Guess who was the most popular character with the female/homosexual fans of the game?
- My God, What Have I Done?: After killing Naru's real father in a tragically ironic repeat of what happened to his own father.
- Parental Abandonment: His father was killed when he was a teenager by a bounty hunter named Amoh and upon learning that his target had a son, Amoh took Kayin in to atone for his action.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: With Eiji, he's the blue oni.
- Retcon: Kayin's was Scottish in the first game. His nationality was changed to British in the second game.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: Deconstructed. His thirst for revenge brought him nothing but grief.
- Shock and Awe
- Shout-Out: Where Ten Count is based off of Micheal Jackson's Smooth Criminal, Kayin is straight to the matter with MJ's Beat It. Red Jacket, a huge dislike for unwanted fighting and violence, a vegetarian, and even a shout out to Eddie Van Halen with skills in guitar, Kayin is the near embodiment of the song.
- Spell My Name with an "S": His name, while purposely written as Kayin, correctly translates to Cain.
- Tall Blond And Snarky
A cheerful kind-hearted Japanese girl who happens to be the main star of a traveling theater troupe. Ellis thought that she was the sole survivor of a car crash that killed her family, but in time, she learns that her father was still alive and thus, she participated in the tournament in order to find him.
- Action Girl
- Ass Kicks You
- Badass Adorable: For someone of her size, she can deliver incredibly high amounts of damage due to her agility and her absurdly powerfull Spam Attack.
- Chickification: Anime only. Granted, her opponent was Chaos, but still, you'd expect her to put up a little more of a fight... well, guess somebody had to be the Designated Victim...
- Circus Brat: Thanks to horrific events in her past, her father sent her to be raised anonymously as a dancer in a Turkish traveling circus in order to keep her safe from the mysterious organization hunting them. As result, she became an extremely skilled Dance Battler, arguably one of the fastest playable characters in the game, capable of jumps and acrobacies that actually makes the viewers think she can fly.
- Cute Little Fangs: She's often drawn with these, especially in Tsukasa Kotobuki's official art.
- The Cutie
- Dance Battler
- Dual Wielding: Fights with a pair of daggers.
- Everything's Better with Sparkles
- Fragile Speedster: She's fast and her attacks are deceptively damaging, but she isn't much of a hit-taker.
- Friend to All Children
- Genki Girl
- Giant Waist Ribbon
- Knife Nut: Again, daggers.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: For her initial shock and dismay, she finds out that she's Gaia's daughter. They eventualy come into terms and start a new life together far from battles.
- Leotard of Power
- Plucky Girl: She even states she is one in her Catchphrase.
- Retcon: In the first game, Ellis is Turkish. After The Reveal, it is confirmed that she is actually Japanese.
- She's Got Legs
- You Gotta Have Green Hair
A blonde Russian woman who works as a private detective. Sofia's main goal is to uncover her past and attempt to reclaim her lost memories.
Duke Balthermi Rambert
A French knight who values honor from within his duels. Duke seeks to avenge a past loss against Eiji while proving his worth as a strong and valiant knight.
Voiced by: Yukimasa Kishino (games), Shinpachi Tsuji (OAV)
An American miner whose tough strength is matched by his own big heart. After discovering a uranium deposit that belongs to the Himitsu Kessha, Rungo is shocked to learn that his wife Lila and son Christopher are kidnapped by the organization, thus he embarks on a mission to rescue his family from them.
- Odd Friendship: With Gaia.
- Papa Wolf: He entered the tournament to find, save, and protect his wife and son first and foremost.
An emotionless Japanese ninja who does shady jobs for the highest client. Mondo is assigned to spy into the Himitsu Kessha's activities for a recent client, who later turns out to be a member of the Soshiki
An elderly Chinese magician who doubles as a cold-hearted murderer. Fo heads into the tournament to kill people for both fun and bloodlust.
A warrior monk who once served as an executive for the Himitsu Kessha. When he learned that the woman who was destined to be the next Uranus had planned the accident that killed his wife Kaede (who was the past Uranus of the group) and their unnamed son
, Gaia sought revenge and organized a Toshindaibukai tournament in hopes of starting a rebellion against the Himitsu Kessha, but this fails and Gaia, who is now branded a traitor and marked for death, goes into immediate hiding from the organization, seeking to gain enough strength so that he can fight and destroy his sworn enemies.
- Noble Demon: Even when he was a villain, he was never the type to be petty or excessively cruel.
- Odd Friendship: With Rungo.
- SNK Boss: Slow, but hits like a battering ram, and his attacks come out in an instant!
Eiji's missing older brother, who happens to be a well-renowned expert swordsman. Sho had once trained Eiji and Kayin in the way of swordfighting, but in due time, he felt that the pair could get stronger in their own way and thus, he disappeared from their lives, traveling the world as he sought to face many strong opponents. Within time, Sho had met and fell in love with a woman named Cupido
and that the two of them would have a son named Subaru.
Introduced in Battle Arena Toshinden 2
A New York City female cop
who likes to fight against criminals with a reckless manner and attitude.
An executive of the Himitsu Kessha who seems to have lost his memories and gone psychotically insane
The second-in-command of the Himitsu Kessha. Uranus was the one behind the car crash accident that killed Gaia's wife and son
so that she could ascend to her new position in the organization. She has no remorse over her past actions and is determined to gain even more power for her personal ambition.
- Ambition Is Evil
- Blondes Are Evil
- Breath Weapon
- Dangerously Genre Savvy: In the anime, when Eiji tells her that he has destroyed her whole production of machine-men, Uranus' response is to laugh and tell him that it was only a part of the whole army, and the rest is in a secret place only she knew of. She also took the time to gather data on Eiji and Kayin's fight against Chaos, just in case they won (which they did) so that she could learn from her mistakes.
- The Dragon: To the Master.
- The Four Gods: The Suzaku Bow.
- Light Is Not Good: Has an angelic appearence, and mostly wears white, but she's one of the nastiest villains in the series!
- Manipulative Bitch: Very capable and willing to use people's feelings against them. Borders on magnificence with the way she's capable of controlling almost all aspects of her plans.
- Playing with Fire
- Psycho Ex-Girlfriend: It's implied from within Uranus' backstory that she and Duke were once in a loving relationship with each other, but this didn't last as Uranus had betrayed Duke for her position in the Himitsu Kessha. Suffice to say...Duke was less than pleased about the betrayal.
- The Starscream: Wants to usurp the Master's place as the Himitsu Kessha's leader.
The mysterious leader of the Himitsu Kessha. Not much is known about Master and her history.
A mysterious gun-wielding mercenary who kills for pleasure
- Badass Longcoat
- The Dragon: to Abel
- Evil Counterpart: To Nagisa. Both of them share a theme of law and crime, in which Nagisa is a well-known and respected police detective who doubles as a part-time agent for Interpol and that he believes in the full extent of both the law and justice while Vermilion is a cruel and vicious criminal who has no remorse or regret for his past crimes and that he truly enjoys his merciless and despicable work from within the criminal underworld.
- Evil Redheads
- Four Eyes, Zero Soul
- Guns Akimbo
- Laughably Evil: He may be a gun-crazy loony who wants to lay the world to waste, but at least he gets points for being fun in his own way!
- Omnicidal Maniac
- Psycho Electro: In the third game, one of his strongest attacks consists of tying electrical strings to his opponents' wrists and ankles and electrocute him/her.
- Sharp-Dressed Man
Introduced in Battle Arena Toshinden 3
A Japanese police detective who works with Tracy in their investigation of the Soshiki.
A young English boy who finds himself being targeted by Abel and the Soshiki.
- Badass Longcoat
- Beware the Nice Ones
- Chainsaw Good
- Dark and Troubled Past
- Evil Former Friend: Judgement
- It Sucks to Be the Chosen One: Unlike the Toshinden fighters who are marked for death by the Soshiki, David has it even worse. Since the prophecy of Agon Teos states that the body of a purehearted person can hold his immense spiritual power, Abel and the Soshiki chooses David to be Agon Teos' reluctant human vessel and thus, they start to make his life a living hell for him in hopes of succeeding with their evil plan.
- Orphan's Ordeal: You have no idea. At six years old, David was already marked by the Organization as a potential vessel for Agon Teos, and his parents were killed by an act of arson to his home done as an assassination attempt to leave him completely helpless. As soon as it was over, he was immediately sent to an orphanage- One that was unknown to him to be run by the Organization themselves in turn, functioning as a convenient way to gather sacrifices for blood to be used in their magic ceremonies. Add that with childhood trauma so severe and the Fridge Horror of said orphanage, it is no doubt that David has it even possibly worse than Kayin for childhood bereavement and victimization.
- You Killed My Parents: His reason of why he fights the Soshiki.
A Japanese geisha-like gambler who aids David in his fight against the Soshiki.
A humanoid-like monkey who lives in the deep mountains of China.
A young Hong Kong Chinese girl who was raised from early childhood by a triad family
to be an assassin for them.
- Action Girl
- The Apprentice: Cuiling's backstory states that she was trained by Fo Fai during the time between Toshinden 2 and 3 (given the fact that she's literally a female version of Fo in gameplay) and throughout the training itself, she had developed a grandfatherly-like affection towards Fo.
- Breakout Character: Cuiling must've became this since she appeared as a playable character in the Japanese-only PlayStation game Toshinden Card Quest.
- Femme Fatalons
- Heel Realization: As a young orphan, Cuiling was raised by a triad family who taught her the concepts of assassination and how to not have any emotions when it came to doing her missions. However, a long-time member of the group (who had secretly opposed violence against innocent people) had softened her heart and explained to her that taking the life of an innocent person was wrong and that it would deeply affect those who are close to the person. Through this explanation and a couple of others, Cuiling had shed Tears of Remorse as she realized that she could never be a full-fledged assassin.
- Hidden Depths
- Reverse Mole: Despite being a member of the Soshiki, Cuiling was never actually a loyal member of the group. Her reason for joining the group was due to the fact that Abel had payed for her services from her triad family and although Cuiling served Abel well, she secretly sought to stop him after learning of his history and current plan, thus she teamed up with Eiji and the rest of the heroes.
- Wolverine Claws
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
An American modern-day pirate who seeks revenge against Eiji for a past loss against him.
- Arrogant Kung-Fu Guy: How so? Look at his artwork!
- Evil Counterpart: To Eiji. He shares a theme of temperament with Eiji; where Eiji was a hot blooded jerk seeking to get stronger, overtime, he softened up and became more level headed in his pursuits. Leon is a cruel and cocky jerk without any standards, who will do anything in his power to be the strongest and get rid of those who will stand in his way, even if it meant sending them as a sacrifice to Abel's plans. He even desires to challenge Sho to achieve his goal.
- Flipping the Bird: His official artwork features him doing this!
- An Ice Person
- The Starscream: Leon seeks to overthrow Abel and take control over the Soshiki.
An English aristocratic assassin who kills his victims through the use of his "Ten Count" method.
- Captain Ersatz: Let's see...he wears a white tuxedo and gloves, uses a crotch-grab taunt, can do the Moonwalk, and can even bust out the Thriller dance as a secret move. It's damn obvious he was based off of Michael Jackson.
- Everything's Better with Sparkles
- Evil Counterpart: To Kayin. Both share a theme of experience, where Kayin's life influenced by the underworld done nothing but give him hell, Ten Count enjoys his grisly work and killing in the underworld, treating it like play and stardom.
- Extremity Extremist: Much like Kayin, Ten Count's fighting style is also dependant on kicks as well.
- Faux Affably Evil: While not being an assassin for the Soshiki, Ten Count is known for having a suave aristocratic personality.
- Knife Nut
- Sharp-Dressed Man
An Austrian opera singer who doubles as an assassin for the Soshiki.
- Captain Ersatz: Toshinden's version of Catwoman.
- Evil Counterpart: To Sofia. Their themes are that of modesty; Sofia's profile states that her most disliked things in the world are those who are too proud for their own good, and she herself is an accomplished pianist and dancer as well, combined with her profession as a private investigator, compared to Zola, whose special attacks' names indicate a sense of vanity and flaunting exhibition.
- Sensual Spandex
- Opera Singer
- Shock and Awe
- Whip It Good
A cold and dangerous robot who serves the Soshiki in hopes of gaining a human body.
- Arm Cannon
- Everything's Better with Spinning
- Evil Counterpart: To Rungo. The two of them share a theme of nature vs technology. Rungo, outside of the Toshinden, is actually quite a nature man, has a family of his own, and had to work real hard day and night from within the mines in order to gain his strong muscles, and has to face off against a killing machine, while Adam, who is a robot, has unfathomable power from within his own circuits and machinery, yet ultimately desires to be a human for the sake of love, despite his methods to get what he wants.
- Killer Robot
- More Dakka
- Robosexual: Adam's backstory states that he had fallen in love with a human woman and was determined to gain a human body for his services to the Soshiki.
A retired Japanese assassin who is determined to save his terminally-ill wife.
- Blade on a Stick
- Evil Counterpart: To Mondo. The two of them share a theme of motivation, whereas Mondo is determined to avenge the attack of his home and the slaying of his clan members by the Organization, Toujin is determined to find the secret of eternal youth and life in order to save his terminally-ill wife and is willing to align himself with the Organization in order to complete his mission, despite knowing about the Organization's vile past and malicious intentions.
- Freudian Excuse: He joins the Soshiki in hopes of finding a way to save his terminally-ill wife.
- Playing with Fire
- Sinister Schnoz
A Norweigan knight who seeks to destroy Duke and the Rambert bloodline.
- Blood Knight: His obsession to slay Duke and destroy the Rambert bloodline makes Balga fall into this state and join the Soshiki
- Evil Counterpart: To Duke. Both of them share a theme of honor, in which Duke has a chivalrous spirit and that he expects a good fight from within his battles while respecting his opponents' own strength and power. Balga on the other hand has a treacherous spirit and that he doesn't care about a fair fight or the opponent's own welfare. This is quite evident as Balga uses kick attacks while Duke doesn't.
- Feuding Families: A century-long clash of pure hatred between the families of Balga and Duke
A Peruvian tribal boy who seeks to gain the inheritance of a long-forgotten ancient empire.
- Blood Father: Tau
- Does Not Like Shoes
- Evil Counterpart: To Ellis. The two of them share a theme of selflessness, in which Ellis is willing to fight and defend her traveling theater troupe from the evil forces of the Organization while Atahua is determined to revive his ancestors' ancient empire and is willing to align himself with the Organization to do so, not caring about Abel's plan and ambition just as long as he's able to get his own personal wish.
- Improbable Weapon User: Atahua uses twin blowguns complete with tranqulizer darts.
A Brazilian tribesman who works with his adoptive son Atahua in his respectable goal.
- Evil Counterpart: To Gaia. Both of them share a theme of fatherhood, whereas Gaia is determined to help fight alongside and protect his daughter Ellis from the threat of the Organization, Tau is determined to fight alongside and protect his adoptive son Atahua while helping him out from within his personal quest, going so far as to join him in the Organization, regardless of his own skepticism towards Abel and his personal ambition.
- Blood Son: Atahua
An American mercenary who seeks to make her twin sister pay via a personal vendetta.
- Amazonian Beauty
- Angst Nuke: A rare theme example. Many of her ki/energy based attacks are explosive based, in contrast with Tracy's stable electricity theme.
- Dual Wielding: Uses a pair of double-sided twin tonfas
- Evil Counterpart: To Tracy. In addition to her Freudian Excuse, her Angst Nuke theme in her attacks represents her anger and emotional irrationality, compared to her sister, who, while wild, excitable, and thrill seeking, has a stable side outside of fighting.
- Freudian Excuse: Rachael's reason for joining the Soshiki is to get revenge against her twin sister Tracy, who had a nice and peaceful childhood with loving parents while Rachael was abandoned by the same parents and forced to survive in a harsh world alone.
- Of Corsets Sexy
A German assassin who serves Abel and the Soshiki.
A mysterious English killer who was once David's friend in childhood.
A Malaysian fortune teller who serves Abel and the Soshiki.
Abel / Veil
The megalomaniacal leader of the Soshiki. Abel seeks to bring a destructive fighting god named Agon Teos into the world and will destroy anyone who tries to get in the way of his plan.
- Bare-Fisted Monk: The only character in all games never to use weapons of any kind.
- Bare Your Midriff
- Big Bad: In the third game.
- Evil Counterpart: VEIL is Abel's counterpart. Both share a theme of evil in their uses; while Abel desires a utopian world from the blood of the fighters, Veil desires Agon Teos to destroy and annihilate existence. The fact that the Big Bad was a Well-Intentioned Extremist compared to his own evil counterpart should tell you how worse it could get should you kill him.
- Large and in Charge
- Power Fist
- SNK Boss: His moves do incredible damage, and he isn't too slow himself. His special attacks are likewise incredibly damaging, and have little-to-no recovery time, making it hard to punish his mistakes. Watch out for his grab move, which sends you airborne and can be followed by pretty much everything this guy wants, including two of his desperation moves. And on that matter, all of his desperation moves are lethal and practically impossible to avoid, and they come out in an instant.
- Sphere of Destruction: One of his most powerful attacks.
daughter who seeks to find him after he had disappeared from within the time between Toshinden 3
and Toshinden 4
. Joining up with Subaru and Rook, she hopes that winning the new fourth Toshindaibukai will enable her to gain the information she needs about the whereabouts of her missing foster
Introduced in Battle Arena Toshinden 4
A young Japanese swordsman/traveler who happens to be the son of Sho Shinjo and Cupido. Subaru is determined to find his missing uncle Eiji and participates in a new fourth Toshindaibukai tournament with his friends Naru and Rook.
A young American photographer who happens to be an expert in the use of the nunchaku. Rook joins up with Subaru and Naru from within the fourth Toshindaibukai in the hopes of not only meeting up with his fighting idol, Eiji Shinjo, but also to find and meet up with a mysterious ninja girl, to whom he had developed a crush on after facing her in combat from within the past.
A young Swedish girl who has a kind and polite personality. Upon being given a golden bow by a blonde-haired angel from within her church orphanage while praying one day, Puella realizes that she has a special power within herself and decides to use it and the golden bow to protect the world's peace, participating from within the fourth Toshindaibukai alongside her friends Lancelot and Fen in the hopes of stopping an unknown evil from within the competition.
A young English boy who was trained by Duke to be a strong and noble fencer so that he could get over his cowardly personality. Upon meeting up and being defeated by Naru from within a past duel, Lancelot desired to see Naru again and had joined up with his friends Puella and Fen from within the fourth Toshindaibukai in the hopes of making his wish come true.
A young Brazilian boy/fisherman who had spent most of his peaceful days with his grandfather and his pet piglet, Wolfie. After helping out an injured man ( Mondo
) one day, Fen's grandfather was killed by another person (Genma) who had sought out the injured man and that Fen was determined to make Genma pay for his grandfather's death, thus he had joined up with Puella and Lancelot from within the fourth Toshindaibukai in the hopes of finally getting his revenge.
A mysterious Chinese sorcerer who is rumored to have come from the same assassination clan as Fo Fai. Genma is a cold and cruel man who has no remorse or regrets for his barbaric and inhuman past actions and is determined to gain the Four Sacred Arms from within the fourth Toshindaibukai, being aided by his partners Miyabi and Bang-Boo.
A young Japanese kunoichi (female ninja) who was kidnapped by Genma and had all of her past memories rewritten so that she could be brainwashed into becoming Genma's loyal underling. Alongside with Bang-Boo, Miyabi assists Genma in having to gather the Four Sacred Arms from within the fourth Toshindaibukai.
A Cuban cyborg who was once a pilot for his country's military. Bang-Boo's new orders is to assist Genma and Miyabi in gathering the Four Sacred Arms from within the fourth Toshindaibukai, but he also has once more specific order as well.
An Italian angel-like android who was sealed away by the Himitsu Kessha for being too powerful. Upon being released by Eiji, Eos had pledged her utmost loyalty to him and alongside with Zero, she assists Eiji as an executive from within the fourth Toshindaibukai.
An artificial android who revels in chaos and destruction. Much like Eos, Zero was also sealed away by the Himitsu Kessha for being too powerful, but was eventually released by Eiji and works alongside with him and Eos as an executive from within the fourth Toshindaibukai.
Welt Rottweiler (Wolf)
Amoh ("The Storm")