Dean Roll (b. January 28, 1975) is an American Professional Wrestler and trainer from Dayton, Ohio; best known as Shark Boy. He debuted in 1997 and wrestled for many Midwestern promotions, and is best known for his time in TNA.
Among his in-ring achievements, he is a 4x HWA Cruiserweight Champion, a former HWA Heavyweight Champion, a former IWA Mid-South Light Heavyweight Champion, a former IWA Mid-South Television Champion, a former 2x PWX (Pittsburgh) Television Champion, a former NEPW (Ohio) Cruiserweight Champion, a former 2x BPW (Buckeye Pro) Heavyweight Champion, a former 2x BPW Tag Team Champion with Cody Hawk and a former OCW Cruiserweight Champion.
He has nothing to do with the film The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl and actually sued Miramax Films over the movie, since he had actually trademarked the name "Shark Boy." The suit was eventually settled for an undisclosed amount of money.
"Dead Sea Tropes":
- Affectionate Parody: Did an impersonation of "Stone Cold" Steve Austin in 2008 after waking up from a Coma. Even having his own take on his catchphrase "Give me a Shell Yeah!"
- Amusing Injuries: During the end of 07 and beginning of 08 he was noticeably wrapped up in bandages and one time walked to the ring to compete in crutches.
- Badass Teacher: He has his own wrestling school, The Shark Tank, and his students have included Sami Callihan and Karl Anderson.
- Finishing Move: Dead Sea Drop, the Chummer (Stunner).
- Jobber: For most of his career.
- A Kind of One: TNA eventually revealed Shark Boy is a single member of an entire family of shark wrestlers, including little kids. Shark variants have since shown up in other promotions too.
- Odd Friendship: With New Jack and with Norman Smiley in the early days of TNA.
- Parts Unknown: "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea", "The Deep Blue Sea"
- Put on a Bus: Out of TNA.
- The Bus Came Back: He showed up in TNA in late 2014 overweight, slow-moving and generally out of shape, to be easily swatted aside by the likes of Manik while the commentators joked about his state. The crowd still cheered for him. Also came back at Slammiversary XV in 2017 to help Jeremy Borash and Joseph Park against Josh Matthews and Scott Steiner.
- Shark Man: Obviously.
- Start My Own: Buckeye Pro Wrestling and The Shark Tank
- Super Team: The Prince Justicenote Brotherhood, with Curry Man (Christopher Daniels) and Super Eric (Young) in TNA was an Affectionate Parody of Superheroes.
- Threatening Shark: Parodied. One of his big spots was the "Shark Bite," where he would bite his opponent's butt.
- Took a Level in Badass: When Shark Boy competed in a match you can usually expect him to lose but put up a good effort. When he wake up from his coma and started imitating Stone Cold not only was he able to talk, he started winning as well.
- Tournament Arc: He won the HWA's Brian Pillman Memorial Cruiserweight Tournament on May 19th, 1999, and the Price of Glory Cupnote on October 24, 2004.
- The Voiceless: Couldn't talk at all until his above transformation into "Stone Cold" Shark Boy had him adopt the same Badass Baritone Austin has.