Jana, voiced by BJ Ward, roams the rainforests of South America in search of her lost father. She is aided by Montaro (Ted Cassidy), a native who is a descendant of a lost warrior tribe, and Dr. Ben Cooper (Michael Bell), a young wildlife biologist who maintains the preserve started by Jana's father. Jana also has two Non-Human Sidekicks: Ghost the albino jaguar and Tiko the
coatimundi yapok. Jana's collar doubles as a sharp-edged throwable weapon which couldamong other thingscut vines and bore holes through cave walls. Montaro wields the equally potent Staff of Power that can cause earthquake-like shockwaves when it strikes the ground.
Jana also made a cameo appearance on Yogi's Space Race.
- Adventure Series: A show about adventures in the jungle.
- Animated Series: It is a series that is animated.
- Disappeared Dad: Jana's father, although not much is made of it.
- Earthy Barefoot Character: Like many Jungle Princesses, Jana is always barefoot.
- Episode Title Card: The series uses them, as do most Hanna-Barbera cartoons.
- Film Felons: In "The Animal Snatchers", a gang of poachers try to cover up their operation by posing as a documentary film crew. They later catch Jana in a snare, causing her to drop her collar, and abduct Ghost.
- Great White Feline: Jana has a pet white jaguar named Ghost.
- Jungle Princess: Jana, of course. She fits many of the classic requirements: she's a young American woman who has been stranded in the jungle since childhood, has bonded with the local tribespeople and animals, and protects her home from a variety of threats.
- Lady Land: The Amazons' kingdom in "Race for Life". Despite not liking men trespassing on their territory, they're also wary of Jana.
- Magical Native American: Montaro has shades of this, but is (obviously) a rarer South American version.
- Misplaced Wildlife: Subverted in an episode where a captive elephant breaks loose and is rampaging through the South American rain forest. Here, the elephant is explicitly shown not to be native to the region, forcing Jana to explain to the frightened natives that it is a simply a large animal before she sets out to find it and prevent it from causing irreparable damage or being killed by the natives.
- Protagonist Title: The series title is Jana of the Jungle.
- Rings of Death: Played With. While Jana's collar is sharp enough to double as this type of weapon, she never throws it at people or animals.
- Save the Villain: In "The Golden Idol of the Gorgas", Jana saves the Gorga chief from crocodiles after he accidentally falls into the river.
- Seldom-Seen Species: Yapok. Even if Tiko were a coatimundi, it'd still qualify.
- Statuesque Stunner: The Amazons in "Race for Life" are taller than the main characters.
- Vine Swing: One of the ways Jana travels around the jungle.
- The X of Y: The series title is Jana of the Jungle.