Jana, voiced by BJ Ward, roams the rainforests of South America in search of her lost father. She is aided by Montaro (Ted Cassidy), a native who is a descendant of a lost warrior tribe, and Dr. Ben Cooper (Michael Bell), a young wildlife biologist who maintains the preserve started by Jana's father. Jana also has two Non-Human Sidekicks: Ghost the albino jaguar and Tiko the
coatimundi yapok. Jana's collar doubles as a sharp-edged throwable weapon which couldamong other thingscut vines and bore holes through cave walls. Montaro wields the equally potent Staff of Power that can cause earthquake-like shockwaves when it strikes the ground.
Jana also made a cameo appearance on Yogi's Space Race.
- Disappeared Dad: Jana's father, although not much is made of it.
- Earthy Barefoot Character: Like many Jungle Princesses, Jana is always barefoot.
- Episode Title Card: The series uses them, as do most Hanna-Barbera cartoons.
- Film Felons: In "The Animal Snatchers", a gang of poachers try to cover up their operation by posing as a documentary film crew. They later catch Jana in a snare, causing her to drop her collar, and abduct Ghost.
- Great White Feline: Jana has a pet white jaguar named Ghost.
- Jungle Princess: Jana, of course. She fits many of the classic requirements: she's a young American woman who has been stranded in the jungle since childhood, has bonded with the local tribespeople and animals, and protects her home from a variety of threats.
- Lady Land: The Amazons' kingdom in "Race for Life". Despite not liking men trespassing on their territory, they're also wary of Jana.
- Rings of Death: Played With. While Jana's collar is sharp enough to double as this type of weapon, she never throws it at people or animals.
- Save the Villain: In "The Golden Idol of the Gorgas", Jana saves the Gorga chief from crocodiles after he accidentally falls into the river.
- Seldom-Seen Species: Yapok. Even if Tiko were a coatimundi, it'd still qualify.
- Statuesque Stunner: The Amazons in "Race for Life" are taller than the main characters.
- Vine Swing: One of the ways Jana travels around the jungle.