High School USA! (not to be confused with the 1983 made-for-TV movie High School U.S.A.) was an animated show that aired on ADHD (Animation Domination High-Def)note cartoons added to the Fox network along with Axe Cop. The series comes from [adult swim] fixture and one-time Greendale Community College student Dino Stamatopoulos.
The series follows a group of super-positive millennial students through school. They confront all the unique challenges of growing up in a modern world. Led by the painfully naïve and always upbeat Marsh Merriwether, there is nothing these kids cant put a positive spin on, from cyber-bullying to Adderall addiction to embarrassing sexting incidents.
The series lasted one season, consisting of 12 episodes, before getting cancelled.
You can watch it for free here.
- Affectionate Parody: Of teenage and high school films as well as the Archie comics.
- Alliterative Name: Marsh Merriweather
- Amicable Exes: Marsh Merriwether's father longs for his ex-wife but has nothing but respect and admiration for her new husband.
- Band Toon: The characters are shown playing in a band as an homage to The Archies.
- Black and Nerdy: Played with regarding Blackstein; despite the nerdy features, he's been shown to be remarkably dumb.
- Brainless Beauty: Due to the animation style that accentuates the "cute" or attractive qualities of most of the females, just about all of them count as this, but Amber deserves special mention. She gives whole new meaning to both Dumb Blonde. Episode 3 justifies it by revealing that her parents have had her taking pills since she was a baby.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: The first episode treats the bullies as if they are homosexuals.
- Dubstep: The gang plays in their own rock band, which produces a dubstep sound, inexplicably. They don't even have a keyboard or DJ. Rule of Cool, perhaps.
- Expy: The five main cast members resemble the main cast of Archie Comics. Cassandra's 72-year-old stepsister resembles Mrs. Grundy.
- Freudian Excuse: Brad's abusive mother is the reason he's a bully.
- Gag Penis: ...lots, including triangular ones if one episode is to be believed. But Bent—I'm sorry, I mean Brent—takes the cake.
- Germans Love David Hasselhoff: In-universe. The Gang is very popular in China.
- Girl-on-Girl Is Hot: Invoked. Amber and Cassandra think of and reject things to do to pass the time while pretending to live in the early 90's including making out, as it's pointless if they can't film it to send to guys.
- Good Girls Avoid Abortion: Amber turned out to have a hysterical pregnancy after just making to the clinic with minutes to go in her second trimester.
- Magic Plastic Surgery: Cassandra received Chinese features and skin color through this.
- No Senseof Direction: Marsh is so dependent on GPS on his phone that when he tried to get to his house from his school, he ended up driving around for hours.
- Oblivious Adoption: Cassandra had no idea she was Chinese. Well, she technically isn't.
- Shout-Out: Cyber Bully speaks and acts in a similar mannerism to Christopher Walken.
- His Internet avatar is a Guy Fawkes mask, suggesting he is Anonymous.
- Spoof Aesop: The first episode has the aesop: "Bullies are an essential part of any society".
- Unsympathetic Comedy Protagonist: Everyone but Marsh falls into this at some point.