Sonic the Continuation is another Fan Sequel webcomic to Sonic the Comic. It is written by DeviantArt artist Tom Campbell, better known as Okida and the co-writer of Ghosts of the Future, and drawn by him, Dreamcastzx1, and ProfessorZolo (Keep in mind the latter two's art are often NSFW), which can viewed on his DeviantArt page starting with Issue 0.
Sonic the Continuation is a separate continuation project from the more well-known Sonic the Comic Online!. Though it shares a few similarities, it goes in its own direction, and is noted to have a far more serialized, overarching plotline than the other versions. It picks up from the final official arc "Point of No Return" in a completely different direction than Sonic the Comic Online.
It has a crossover with notable Sonic fancomic Okida is also known for, Ghosts of the Future, which takes place in an Alternate Universe of the Sonic game universe. Additionally, it also has a crossover with Okidas interpretation of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles known as Turtle Power.
Sonic the Continuation provides examples of:
- Adaptational Attractiveness: Sally is given a redesign, making her look less squirrel-like than she does in the canon comics, now outright sporting her revamped design from the rebooted continuity of Sonic the Hedgehog (Archie Comics), down to the same outfit and hairstyle as well (although she sported a blue blouse and slicked hairstyle in Issue #0 before taking on her current look. Also, unlike the official Archie comics, her womanly curves are also far more pronounced here).
- Age Lift: Due to only having recently been born, Cream is a baby in this comic, instead of six years old like she is in the games.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Simpson the cat is revealed to be a powerful Tantaror named Baktu in disguise.
- Disappeared Dad: The deceased Johnny Lightfoot is implied to be Cream's father.
- Fan Sequel: Of Sonic the Comic, which ended with the Sonic Adventure arc a decade prior.
- Furry Female Mane: Rouge is given a white ponytail that matches her fur colour. Until Amy cuts it off with a crossbow bolt, that is.
- He's Back: Commander Brutus is revealed to have survived as a disembodied head and intended to take advantage of G.U.N. in order to make a comeback before moving his timing when the Commander intends to destroy the Metarex which he intends to examine for himself.
- How We Got Here: Issue 0 starts with Sonic fighting Metal Sonic, then flashes back to how it all started.
- Hotter and Sexier: The issues drawn by DreamcastZX1 feature Amy, Sally, Ebony, Rouge, and Christina as far more voluptuous and shapely than in canon. Rouge in particular is given a big set of Gag Boobs.
- I Choose to Stay: Tikal decides to remain in the future instead of returning to the past where she would possibly die.
- Insistent Terminology: The Metallix prototype insists on being called Metal Sonic.
- Karma Houdini: Grimer gets out of punishment for his crimes by becoming the Earth United Federation's ambassador to Mobius, which gives him diplomatic immunity. Once Earth then merges with Mobius, the Mobian officials fully pardon him as he then takes up work as head researcher of G.U.N.
- Mythology Gag: On Tails' phone, Sonic's name is "SEGABOY91", referencing Sega and the year of the first Sonic title was released).
- Patchwork Fic: Characters and references from other adaptations appear. For example, Topaz, Cosmo and the Metarex from Sonic X are added into the plot, while Shahra from Sonic and the Secret Rings appears in a mini-series and Rouge's father gets trapped in the Void from Sonic the Hedgehog (SatAM).
- Shout-Out: Count Duckula is the judge for Grimer's trial.