Sonic the Continuation is a separate continuation project from the well-known Sonic the Comic Online!. Due to sharing a source, it has various similarities, but it has a different plot.
Sonic the Continuation provides examples of:
- Adaptational Attractiveness: Sally is given a redesign making her look less squirrel-like than she does in the canon comics. She more resembles her Sonic Sat AM design (and her Sonic the Comic Online! redesign).
- Age Lift: Due to only having recently been born, Cream is a baby in this comic.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: Simpson the cat is revealed to be a powerful Tantaror named Baktu in disguise.
- Disappeared Dad: The deceased Johnny Lightfoot is implied to be this for Cream.
- Fan Sequel: Of Sonic the Comic, which ended with the Sonic Adventure arc a decade prior.
- Furry Female Mane: Rouge is given a white ponytail that matches her fur colour. Until Amy cuts it off with a crossbow bolt, that is.
- How We Got Here: Issue 0 starts with Sonic fighting Metal Sonic, then flashes back to how it all started.
- Insistent Terminology: The Metallix prototype insists on being called Metal Sonic.
- Interspecies Friendship: E102-Gamma strikes up one with Vanilla.
- Karma Houdini: Grimer gets out of punishment for his crimes by becoming ambassador for Earth, which gives him diplomatic immunity.
- Mythology Gag: On Tails' phone, Sonic's name is "SEGABOY91" (referencing Sega and the year of the first Sonic title was released).
- Patchwork Fic: Characters and references from other adaptations appear. For example, Topaz and Cosmo from Sonic X are added into the plot.
- Shout-Out: Count Duckula is the judge for Grimer's trial.