One of the most famous variety shows in American history, The Mickey Mouse Club initially aired in 1955, and has since been reimagined several times.
The main show was made up of several sketches performed by the Mouseketeers. Throughout the show's run, several Mouseketeers have made it big, including Annette Funicello, Justin Timberlake, Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Keri Russell, Ryan Gosling, and J.C. Chasez. Each day had a central theme, such as Music or the Circus. In addition, the original run had several serials, most famously one based on The Hardy Boys.
Like many classic Disney properties, the show was released as part of the Walt Disney Treasures line. One set includes the first week of the show, while subsequent sets included the serials Spin and Marty, The Hardy Boys, and Annette.
A new revival was announced in late August 2017, and began airing on September 8th, 2017. However, unlike its past versions, it is only available as an online series on Facebook and Instagram., under the new name of Club Mickey Mouse.
A new revival of the show was announced in September 2017, but it's only in Malaysia. Malaysian YouTube personality Charis Ow hosts the new Malaysian-only revival and premiered on Disney Channel Asia on September 15, 2017 with new episode airing every Friday.
Not to be confused with Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.
This show contained examples of:
- Animated Credits Opening
- Couch Gag: Donald Duck ringing the gong in the original.
- Edutainment Show: One of the pioneers of the format, which inspired future shows like Sesame Street.
- Foreign Remake: The aforementioned South Korean and Malaysian revivals.
- Go-Karting with Bowser: The opening shows Mickey celebrating with Pete and The Big Bad Wolf.
- Heartbeat Soundtrack: In one of the Paperboys segment.
- Honorary Uncle: According to Annette, Disney insisted the Mouseketeers call him Uncle Walt. Annette herself couldn't do it, because he was too much of a father figure.
- Pie in the Face
- Revolving Door Casting: Mouseketeers (with the exception of those from the 1970s revival) usually undergo cast changes after every season, with few who remain till the end. For those keeping score, the Mouseketeers who stayed for the 1950s series in its entirety are Annette, Bobby, Cubby, Darlene, Doreen, Karen, Lonnie, Sharon, and Tommy; for the 1990s revival Josh, Lindsey, and Jennifer stayed for the whole duration.
- Right Way/Wrong Way Pair: In a series of shorts hosted by Jiminy Cricket about safety. Each episode ends with a contest between "You" and "a common, ordinary fool". "You" follow all safety precautions and win, while the fool gets nothing but Amusing Injuries.
- Solemn Ending Theme: "Now it's time to say goodbye to all our company..."
- Spelling Song: The main theme tune, as well as Jiminy Cricket's Encyclopedia song.
- Theme Tune Rap: The 1989-1995 version
- Theme Tune Roll Call: One of the elements all three versions had in common.
The serials contained:
- Alpha Bitch: Laura from Annette, played by Roberta Shore (Francheska from The Shaggy Dog and Betsy in the first three seasons of The Virginian).
- A Boy and His X: Corky and White Shadow
- Catfight: One between Laura and Jet that ends with them falling in Jet's pool.
- Country Mouse: Annette in her self-titled serial.
- The Cutie: Karen Pendleton and Mindy Feldman.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Laura from Annette. She first accuses Annette of stealing her necklace, but when she's proven innocent, she apologizes and the two become friends.
- Tomboyish Name: Jet from Annette
- Teen Drama: Emerald Cove, the 1990's serial.