Jake 2.0 was an American science fiction television series originally broadcast on UPN in 2003. The program was canceled in mid-January 2004 due to low ratings, leaving four episodes unaired in the United States. In the United Kingdom, however, all the episodes were played out on Sky One. The series is currently being aired on HDnet on Thursdays at 10:00pm EST and has aired internationally. It also began airing on The Sci Fi Channel on January 5, 2007.
The series provides examples of:
- Above the Influence: Diane doesn't sleep with Jake even though she wants to when he has no memories nor does he know the truth of who she is.
- Does Not Know His Own Strength: Jake loses the security deposit for his new apartment to this trope.
- Doesn't Like Guns: Jake, who prefers to punch people into walls.
- Dropped After the Pilot: The show had Darin, Jake's best friend and roommate, who is suddenly transferred out of Washington, DC.
- Eye Scream: Retinal scanners do not work that way!
- Hollywood Nerd: Many, but especially Christopher Gorham's Jake. Keep in mind that the same actor was Mr. Fanservice in Covert Affairs while also playing a tech guy.
- Nanomachines: Of the improbably fantastic variety, making Jake stronger, a technopath, and giving him Super Senses.
- Outrun the Fireball: Averted, in that while Jake tries to outrun a fireball, he fails (despite his nanobot enhancements) and gets engulfed and badly burned. He spends the most of the rest of the episode in an intensive care bed unable to move or communicate normally.
- Paintball Episode: Joining his old friends at a wedding, Jake takes part in the groom's paintball game. He exploits his nanobots, but only against two opposing (and obnoxious) players that thought he'd be an easy mark.
- Professional Killer: The Junshi assassins from "Upgrade".
- Put on a Bus: Jake's roommate from the pilot is vaguely mentioned to have been moved out of the country. Sarah rejects Jake after his confession and the actress title card is removed.
- Room Full of Crazy: Room 214, though it's all in Jake's head.
- Spiritual Successor:
- Super Senses: Jake, due to the nanobots.
- Technopath: Jake, because he can control technology with his mind.
- Trash the Set: Not used in the show proper, but this was the plan for the three-part finale. First part is 'destroy the NSA sets'.
- Took a Level in Badass: The nanobots augment Jake's physical strength among other features. In "Upgrade," Jake manages to take the nanobots even further - making him strong enough to go toe-to-toe with a trained assassin.
- Triang Relations: Established well before the end of the second episode.