Follow TV Tropes

Following

Series / High Society

Go To

https://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/highsociety.jpg
Top: Yoon-ha and Joon-ki. Bottom: Chang-soo and Ji-yi.
Advertisement:

High Society (Hangul: 상류사회) is a 2015 Korean Drama about an heiress who seeks a man that will love her for herself and not for her background. Jang Yoon-ha is the youngest daughter of the Taejin Group. Although her family is extremely wealthy, she works a part time job at a food market and pretends she lives a poor lifestyle. Yoon-ha's deputy manager is Choi Joon-ki, a man determined to succeed and leave his destitute background. He is smart and talented but a calculating and indigent man. He believes love is a only tool for the wealthy to control the poor and that marrying up will grant him his desired lifestyle. During her part time job, Yoon-ha becomes best friends with her co-worker, Lee Ji-yi, a sweet and hardworking woman who develops a small crush towards Joon-ki. Yoon-ha also meets Yoo Chang-soo, her date for an arranged marriage and the heir of a mall conglomerate where the food market is located at. Will Yoon-ha be able to find true love, or will she learn that money and love can't be easily separated?

Advertisement:

High Society ran for 16 episodes on South Korea's SBS network. Other story lines include: Yoon-ha's older brother, Gyung-joon, and sister, Ye-won, fighting to be the successor of the Taejin Group, Yoon-ha's abuse from her mother, Madam Jang, and the conflict between Madam Jang and her husband's, Won-shik, mistress. Not to be confused by the Grace Kelly film, High Society.


High Society contains examples of:

  • Can't Hold His Liquor: Ji-yi. Chang-soo is scared of her drunken antics because she rips his shirt after a night of drinking.
  • Chekhov's Skill: Changsoo is quite adept at enticing people into doing exactly what he wants. This is how he ropes Ji-yi into dating him despite her opposition and constant rejections. He also manipulates his own mother into fixing all the problems she caused between him and Ji-yi.
  • Advertisement:
  • Cool Old Lady: Changsoo's mother is generally this unless it has to do with Changsoo's marriage.
  • Empathic Environment: Ji-yi and Chang-soo try to break up and the scene gets very sad as both are crying. Then all of a sudden, it starts raining...
  • Gratuitous English: Several of the theme songs are in English for no apparent reason.
  • Gilligan Cut: Changsoo doesn't want to go to the amusement park because it's too childish. All it takes is a pout from Ji-yi to cut to a date at the amusement park. He doesn't want to wear cute animal ears? Jiyi pouts and cut to them wearing animal ears.
  • I Am Not Left-Handed: At first, Chang-soo tricks Ji-yi into thinking he's an unemployed loser. Later on, he reveals that he is the director of the very mall they are standing in and therefore, her boss.
  • I Love You Because I Can't Control You: Chang-soo is initially attracted to Ji-yi because of her disinterest in him. His attraction grows the more she surprises him with her personality quirks and overall optimism.
  • Inelegant Blubbering: Chang-soo when he breaks down and cries about not being able to marry Ji-yi and that he doesn't want an arranged marriage anymore.
  • In-Series Nickname: Ji-yi tends to call Chang-soo "Jerk Director" much to his annoyance.
  • I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Between Ji-yi and Yoon-ha. Ji-yi notices that Joon-ki and Yoon-ha are interested in each other so she gives up Joon-ki to allow Yoon-ha to date him.
    Ji-yi (to Yoon-ha): I want you to be happy. You're my only friend and family.
  • I Want My Beloved to Be Fashionable: Before their date, Chang-soo dresses Ji-yi up so she can match him.
  • Like Brother and Sister: Chang-soo and Yoon-ha eventually develop this. He tends to offer Yoon-ha advice when it comes to dealing with Joon-ki. Yoon-ha is just not afraid to snark back at him.
    Chang-soo (to Yoon-ha): You're not a woman to me. You're a sibling.
  • Meet Cute: Chang-soo sees Ji-yi idling about in front of Joon-ki's office and he promptly starts teasing her.
  • Parental Marriage Veto: The main obstacle between Chang-soo and Ji-yi is Chang-soo's mother who says no to their match.
  • Pet the Dog: Gyung-joon is the only family member who treats Yoon-ha well.
  • The Un-Favourite: Yoon-ha is either despised or unacknowledged by her family.
    Yoon-ha: They say 90 percent of life’s problems can be solved with money. I carry with me the other 10 percent of those problems.

Top

Example of:

/
/

Feedback