Becoming Human is a BBC Supernatural Soap Opera created by Toby Whithouse. The protagonists are a Friendly Neighborhood Vampire, a wolfgirl, and a timid ghost who is uncertain about the circumstances of his death. Wait, that sounds suspiciously like the premise of another show...
Becoming Human is — to describe it in a sentence — the High School A.U. of Being Human (UK). It's handled by the same creative team, and began airing online on 30 January 2011, immediately following the Being Human (UK) episode that introduced us to our new vampire.
Becoming Human is playing out like an online interactive game, with various clues to be found in different posts made on the blog.
Can be found here.
Tropes in Becoming Human:
- Abhorrent Admirer: Gender flipped for Matt's perving on the girls in the locker room. Possibly taken further when it's revealed he has had a crush on Christa for three years.
- The Can Kicked Him: Matt met his demise in a toilet by the bullies.
- Compulsory School Age: Played with. Adam looks 16, so by British law can be out of school. However, he chooses to go back and, for once, take it seriously and gain some qualifications.
- Dirty Old Man: Adam is 46. Christa lampshades this in the ARG that half the things he says to the girls, if he looked his chronological age, would get him arrested.
- The Dog Was the Mastermind: It turns out the killer is Mr. Roe, the mild-mannered, helpful teacher who was the only character to never be a suspect. A second more minor example is the janitor, who spent a lot of time in the background before being believed to be an accomplice, but eventually turned out to be a Red Herring... or was he?
- Downer Ending: For Christa. The manual reveals that at some point shortly after the show's end she accidentally killed two young men while she was transformed, ran away from home, and was last seen somewhere in Scotland. Most of her relatives and friends think she's dead. And apparently now that her werewolf form's tasted blood it's far more dangerous.
- Everyone Is a Suspect: Every character could plausibly be the murderer, bar Adam, who hadn't joined the school. As such, all every character is investigated at some point.
- Fake Video Camera View: Some of the uploads on the site are videos taken by the characters from a mobile phone.
- Ghostly Goals: Matt wants revenge for his murder.
- Older Than They Look: Adam is said to be stuck in a 16 year old body, but is chronologically 46, and the actor is 20.
- Once More, with Clarity!: The final episode features a brief montage of the clues that allow the characters to finally figure out who the murderer is — all of which were seemingly inconsequential at the time.