Bedlam (2011-2012) is a paranormal based drama on Sky Living.
The Bettany family would like to welcome you to Bedlam Heights: affordable luxury apartments currently in renovation in a historic building that been in her family for generations. Admittedly, the fact the building used to be a mental institution has been dissuading tenants, but that's nothing to worry about, right?
Jed Harper sees things differently. Having recently got out of psychiatric care for his habit of seeing ghosts, Jed moves in to Bedlam Heights, on behalf of a mysterious messenger. He shares a flat with Kate, as well as her friends: slacker Molly, whose close friend disappeared earlier, and nerdy Ryan, still haunted by his brother's brutal murder. Jed and Ryan start to work to protect the residents from the many angered spirits of old patients. But it seems that there are deeper shadows in the old house than either could have predicted.
The second series had a substantial cast overhaul, getting rid of most of the established cast and bringing in Ellie, a medium who makes connections between Jed's disappearance and her own sudden spectral visions.
Not to be confused with 1946 horror film Bedlam.
Bedlam provides examples of:
- Black Dude Dies First: The first person who Jed tried to help that ended up dying was a black guy.
- Blessed with Suck: Jed's ability to see ghosts hasn't exactly made his life better, seeing as he had to spend a big part of it in a psych ward.
- BrotherSister Incest: The ghost in episode 6 definitely had an unhealthy obsession with his sister, whom he murdered.
- No Good Deed Goes Unpunished: Jed saves a little girl after a spiritual encounter. How does the father repay Jed (especially after finding out that he was previously in a psych ward)? By telling Jed to never come near him or is daughter again and breaking it off with Molly, who was seeing the father at the time.
- Prophetic Fallacy: In the first episode, Jed repeatedly gets the message "Save Kate". At the end however, he sees the full message is;"Save yourselves from Kate"
- That Didn't Happen:
- Kate says this to Jed after their kiss.
- Kate also says this to Ryan, after they nearly had sex in the first episode.