Index | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20
Directed by Kim Manners
Scully is hospitalised as her condition worsens. Mulder attempts to identify the conspiracy's mole within the FBI. The Cigarette Smoking Man offers to tell Mulder the truth if he leaves the FBI and changes sides.
- Affectionate Gesture to the Head: Mulder touches Scully's face while she lies in her hospital bed.
- Anywhere but Their Lips: Mulder kisses Scully's hand and cheek in the hospital.
- Beautiful Dreamer: Mulder keeps vigil by Scully's hospital bed.Mulder: I came by last night, but I... I didn't have the heart to wake you.
- Deal with the Devil: CSM tries and fails to bring Mulder to his side. What's interesting is the way he goes about offering this deal; instead of strong-arming him with blackmail, as he did with Skinner, CSM is magnanimous and very forward with his assistance, asking plainly that Mulder work for him in return.
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: CSM is again seen mulling over the framed picture of Mulder and Samantha. When he's shot, he lies on the floor with it and takes one last, poignant look.
- Friend or Idol Decision: Mulder has to choose between saving Scully and finding the truth about the Government Conspiracy.
- HeelFace Turn: Inverted with the Cigarette-Smoking Man. He finds himself — potentially fatally — at odds with The Conspiracy, and gives Mulder some genuine help and support, which not only allows him to save Scully's life but also to reunite with his sister. Problem is though, what the CSM wants in return is for Mulder to pull the opposite trope and join his side.
- "How Did You Know?" "I Didn't.": Mulder guesses as to the identity of The Mole at the hearing and gets it right.
- I Kiss Your Hand: Mulder to Scully.
- Manly Tears: Mulder twice. Once by Scully's hospital bed while she sleeps, and at the end looking at a picture of himself and his sister.
- The Mole: The person working inside the FBI against Mulder and Scully is finally revealed: Section Chief Blevins, the very man who assigned Scully to the X-Files four years ago.
- Myth Arc
- Never Found the Body: The Cigarette-Smoking Man, who has failed The Syndicate one too many times, is assassinated on their orders. The body is not found.
- No Good Deed Goes Unpunished: Michael Kritschgau big time. He helps give Mulder insight into the government conspiracy of misinformation and works to reveal it to avenge his dying son with Gulf War Syndrome and find a cure for him, along with helping direct Mulder to Scully's cancer cure, saving her life. For his troubles he is fired from the DOD, loses his pension, is disgraced and his son dies of his government inflicted illness during the course of the episode. Even the conspirators at the FBI look uncomfortable and sympathetic when he informs them his son has died that morning during his testimony.
- No One Could Survive That!: The amount of blood found where CSM was shot makes people think he died, though they Never Found the Body.
- Not So Stoic: We get tantalizingly close to seeing the First Elder completely lose it when he sees Skinner showing up at a Senate subcommittee hearing where he shouldn't be.First Elder: Our colleague was supposed to have fixed the FBI problem. You will fix it NOW. Do you understand me? Then I will fix it for good.
- Red Herring: Skinner's frameup was not blowback from "Zero Sum", but simply Blevins trying to divert attention away from himself.
- Thanatos Gambit: With Mulder in serious legal trouble for the dead man in his apartment, a terminally-ill Scully suggests that he pin all of the blame on her. Mulder refuses to even consider this option.
- Was It Really Worth It?: Bill Scully accuses Mulder that it's his fault that he has lost one sister and is losing another, belittling Mulder and Scully's fight to reveal the truth and uncover the conspiracy as search for "little green men".
- Wham Line: During the entire Senate hearing, Section Chief Blevins' offer about pinning the blame on Skinner lingers over Mulder as a flawed chance of freedom. Then, Mulder finally makes his decision, something that gets everyone whispering amongst themselves.Senior Agent: Agent Mulder, the Section Chief has asked you a question. You are going to answer!
Mulder: I can't do that, sir.
Senior Agent: You can and you will!
Mulder: I can't do that, sir, because the Section Chief is the man I'm about to name!