Index | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25
Directed by James Contner
Scully: What do you mean?
Mulder: The lighting in here is diffused. It's soft light. What if that was what Banton was looking for?
Scully: Looking for his shadow?
A series of mysterious disappearences leads to a man (Tony Shalhoub) whose shadow vaporizes people.
- Apologetic Attacker: The one and only time Banton uses his shadow to actively kill someone he apologizes beforehand.
- Applied Phlebotinum
- The Bad Guy Wins: Mr X gets his way and begins to subject Doctor Banton to horrific experimentation for probably the rest of his life, however short or long it proves.
- Captured Super-Entity: Banton is held in a government's science centre with sensors attached to his head and flashing light is casting shadows on a photoelectric panel.
- Continuity Nod:
- Newirth is an executive from Morley Tobacco: the Cancerman smokes Morleys.
- Scully checks the heating vent for any sign of Eugene Victor Tooms.
- Doom Magnet: Poor Banton just can't stop people from walking into his shadow.
- Downer Ending: Poor Banton is subjected to a Fate Worse than Death.
- Exact Words: X tells Mulder that he didn't kill Banton. Though it would have been kinder if he had.
- Faking the Dead: It's made to look like Banton was vaporized in the machine.
- Freak Lab Accident: One of these makes Banton's shadow into a black hole.
- Jurisdiction Friction: The Richmond PD is none too happy about Ryan calling in Mulder and Scully as a favor.
- Magical Particle Accelerator: The source of Banton's condition.
- Manipulative Bastard: Mr X uses Mulder to find and acquire Doctor Banton.
- Mike Nelson, Destroyer of Worlds: A very dramatic example.
- My Little Panzer: Discussed. Mulder compares leaving Banton in the hands of the local PD to giving "the A-bomb to the Boy Scouts".
- Single Tear: A Single Tear falls down Banton's cheek at the end of the episode.
- Spontaneous Human Combustion: Mulder thinks this is what happened to Newirth.
- Title Drop: Multiple times. Banton wants to be kept in soft light because then he has little to no shadow.
- Villain Has a Point: As horrific as Banton's fate is in the end at Mr X's hands, what else was going to be done to contain a man who vaporizes everyone around him with his very shadow?