The Adventure Zone is a podcast featuring the McElroy Brothers (Justin, Travis, and Griffin) playing assorted Tabletop RPGs with their father, Clint. The podcast began in late 2014 and new episodes are released every other Thursday.
The podcast initially focused on a single Dungeons & Dragons campaign, Balance, with Griffin as the Dungeon Master. Afterward the four McElroys took turns directing short experimental arcs until one of them, Amnesty (also DM'd by Griffin), was chosen for expansion into a full second season.
Has a recap page that Needs Wiki Magic Love.
Thus far, the podcast contains the following arcs:
- The Adventure Zone: Balance (2014-2017) is a D&D campaign run by Griffin. It follows human fighter Magnus Burnsides (Travis), elven wizard Taako (Justin), and dwarven "cleric" Merle Highchurch (Clint) as they attempt to hunt down powerful, world-destroying artifacts at the behest of an organization called the Bureau of Balance.
- In the same continuity is the adventures of the Hogsbottom Three, run by the hosts of bad movie podcast The Flophouse.
- The Adventure Zone: (K)Nights (2016-2017) is a D&D campaign run by Travis. It follows half-elf warlock Tom Collins (Griffin), human bard Lenny Manolito (Clint), and Tiefling monk Troth (Justin) as they carry out missions as the new leaders for the thieves-guild-turned-resistance-movement The Beasts of the Ring. Available exclusively to those who donate to the podcast's publisher, Maximum Fun.
Experimental arcsA series of short, "experimental" arcs using various systems and run by alternating GMs, done while the players decide on what to do for Season 2 proper. Starting 2018, these episodes are released weekly.
- The Adventure Zone: Commitment (2017) is a FATE campaign run by Clint, set in a world of superheroes inspired by T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents. It follows the super-agile ninja warrior Chris "Remy" Rembrandt/Springheel (Griffin), the genius shapeshifter Nadiya Jones (Travis), and the HR ace Irene Baker, who can become the host to the storm goddess Kardala (Justin), as they join an experimental program for a humanitarian organization called The Do-Good Fellowship.
- The Adventure Zone: Amnesty (2018), which was picked up for the second season. See below.
- The Adventure Zone: Dust (2018) is a Powered by the Apocalypse campaign run by Travis using the Urban Shadows hack. Set in the Weird West of Crescent Territory, it follows the late cashew baron Augustus Parsons (Justin), the traveling wizard Gandy Dancer (Clint), and the former-politician werewolf Errol Ryehouse (Griffin) as they investigate a murder while preventing the prominent vampire and werewolf families' feud from boiling over.
- The Adventure Zone: Elementary (2018) is a very silly one-shot run by Justin in a rules-light system called Four Sherlock Holmes and a Vampire (Who Is Also One of the Aforementioned Sherlock Holmes); it follows Sherlock Holmes (Travis), Sherlock Holmes (Griffin), "Sherlock Holmes" (Clint), and Sherlock Holmes (Justin) attempting to solve a mystery, and also one or more of them might be a vampire. Available exclusively to those who donate to the podcast's publisher, Maximum Fun.
- The Adventure Zone: Amnesty (2018-) is a Powered by the Apocalypse campaign run by Griffin using the Monster of the Week hack. As mentioned above, Amnesty began life as an experimental arc before being picked up for the second season. A Monster of the Week story taking place in the fictional ski town of Kepler, West Virginia, following the tourist trap owner Edmund "Ned" Chicane (Clint), the amateur magician Aubrey Little/The Lady Flame (Travis), and the park ranger Duck "It's a nickname" Newton (Justin) as they hunt down dangerous monsters coming from a mysterious stone gate in the woods.