Tōru Ōhira (September 24, 1929 April 12, 2016, aged 87) was a seiyuu and actor who has been with anime since the beginning. Literally. Beginning in the early 60s as a narrator, most of his modern roles had him pigeonholed as characters with short tempers, usually of the hammy (and corpulent) variety. One exception was his performance as the dub voice of Darth Vader in the prequel trilogy of Star Wars movies and edits along with Soulcalibur IV, although needless to say, he makes Vader in Japanese sound rather hammy (and corpulent).
As far as Western counterparts go, although Tōru Ōhira's most famous role was originated by James Earl Jones, his career appears to have more in common with that of Fred Tatasciore or BRIAN BLESSED himself. (Sorry, Wakamoto).
Sadly, he passed away on April 12, 2016, due to pneumonia.
Roles by Toru Ohira
- Ambassador Magma - Goa, both body and voice
- Chouriki Sentai Ohranger - Emperor Bacchushund
- Dash Kappei - Seiichiro (the dog)
- Various Disney shorts and the Kingdom Hearts series - Pete and Julius.
- The Flintstones - Fred Flintstone
- Hakushon Daimao (Bob in a Bottle) and Tatsunoko vs. Capcom (Japan only) - Hakushon Daimao.
- Laughing Salesman - Voiced the title character, Moguro Fukuzo, in the original anime series.
- One Piece - Gaimon
- Sakura Wars 3: Is Paris Burning? - Duke Calmar
- Science Ninja Team Gatchaman - Dr. Nambu
- The Simpsons - Homer Simpson. D'oh! (Not modified into 'Shimatta Baka ni!'note )
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace - Boss Nass, actually his first Star Wars role - dubbing over BRIAN BLESSED! (See above.)
- Super Sentai - The narrator on various series, including:
- Superman: The Movie - Jor-El (Marlon Brando). Also voiced Superman himself in the Superman Theatrical Cartoons.