Anthony Russo (born February 3, 1970 in Cleveland, Ohio) and Joseph Vincent "Joe" Russo (born July 8, 1971 in Cleveland, Ohio) are Italian-American film and television directors and brothers from Cleveland.
They are known to work jointly on most of their projects. They contributed to the production and directing of TV shows such as Arrested Development and Community, but nowadays they're mainly known as the movie directors who helmed the Marvel Cinematic Universe's biggest films (and biggest successes at that).
In addition to writing and directing, Joe also trained as an actor. He has an MFA in performing arts.
Works by them:
- Welcome to Collinwood (2002)
- Arrested Development (2003-2006)
- Community (2009)
- You, Me and Dupree (2006)
- Marvel Cinematic Universe
- Deadly Class (2019) note
- Extraction (2020) note
Tropes in their works:
- Conspiracy Thriller: They're big fans of 1970s conspiracy thrillers, and claimed to have borrowed a lot to them when making Captain America: The Winter Soldier.
- Creator Cameo: Joe has cameoed in several works of the duo, usually under the pseudonym "Gozie Agbo" in the credits:
- Joe in Arrested Development.
- Dr. Fine in Captain America: The Winter Soldier.
- Dr. Broussard in Captain America: Civil War.
- In Avengers: Endgame, he is a grieving man in Captain America's support group for people who lost loved ones to Thanos' finger snap. He happens to be the first MCU film character who's openly and unambiguously on the LGBTQ spectrum.
- Darker and Edgier: Their contributions to the MCU have been arguably the darkest and bleakest movies in the franchise thus far, with grim storylines, minimal humor and Grey-and-Gray Morality abounding. Most tellingly, all of their contributions have either invoked Bittersweet Ending or Downer Ending at the end of the story, with a healthy dose of Nothing Is the Same Anymore, ranging from a status quo shift for the localized group of heroes present in the movie (The Winter Soldier, Civil War) to permanently changing the landscape of the MCU (Infinity War, Endgame).
- Running Gag: Their MCU films feature cameos from Community cast members.
- Title In: Whenever there's a cut to a new location in their Marvel Cinematic Universe movies, the new location's name will be indicated with big letters.