Daniel Patrick Macneenote (6 February 1922 25 June 2015), better known as simply "Patrick Macnee", was a British-American actornote .
He was best known for portraying the character that practically defined the Quintessential British Gentleman for television, secret agent John Steed in the 1960s series The Avengers, alongside Cathy Gale (Honor Blackman) then Emma Peel (Diana Rigg) then Tara King (Linda Thorson). He reprised the role in the 1970s revival series, The New Avengers.
He also had an interesting life. From a rather eccentric family, he was raised by his mother and her (lesbian) partner. He was expelled from Eton for being the school bookie and pornography seller. And during his time in the Navy in WW2, he was hospitalized with bronchitis shortly before D-Day. He later found out his torpedo boat was sunk with all hands, and hed narrowly averted death.
Works on TV Tropes:
- Scrooge (1951) as a young Jacob Marley
- One Step Beyond (1959) as Eric Farley
- The Avengers (1961-1969) as John Steed
- The New Avengers (1976-1977)
- Columbo (1975) as Captain Gibbon in episode "Troubled Waters"
- Sherlock Holmes in New York (1976) as Dr. John Watson
- Battlestar Galactica (1978) as Iblis
- The Howling (1981) as Dr. George Waggner
- Magnum, P.I. (1984) as David Worth / Chee / the Chinese Doctor
- Murder, She Wrote (1985-1992) as Dayton Whiting / Oliver Trumbull
- A View to a Kill (1985) as Sir Godfrey Tibbett
- Alfred Hitchcock Presents (1988) as Thaddeus
- Waxwork (1988) as Sir Wilfred
- Waxwork II: Lost in Time (1992)
- War of the Worlds (1989) as Valery Kedrov
- P.S. I Love You (1991) as Uncle Ray Bailey
- Sherlock Holmes and the Leading Lady (1991) as Dr. John Watson
- Sherlock Holmes: Incident at Victoria Falls (1992) as Dr. John Watson
- The Avengers (1998) as Invisible Jones