Daniel Patrick Macneenote (6 February 1922 – 25 June 2015), better known as simply "Patrick Macnee", was a British-American actor.
He was best known for portraying the character that practically defined the Quintessential British Gentleman for television, secret agent John Steed in the 1960s series The Avengers, who was teamed with Cathy Gale (Honor Blackman), then Emma Peel (Diana Rigg), and finally Tara King (Linda Thorson). He reprised the role in the 1970s revival series, The New Avengers.
He also had an unusual and interesting life, far from being that of a typical gent. From a rather eccentric family, he was raised by his mother and her (lesbian) partner. He was expelled from Eton for being the school bookie and pornography vendor. And during his time in the Navy in World War II, he was hospitalized with bronchitis shortly before D-Day. He later found out his torpedo boat was sunk with all hands, and he’d narrowly avoided death. His experiences in the war were the main reason he was adamant that Steed almost never use a gun. He took American citizenship in 1982. More details can be found in his 1989 autobiography, Blind in One Ear: The Avenger Returns.
Not to be confused with Patrick Magee.
Works on TV Tropes:
- Scrooge (1951) as a young Jacob Marley
- Alfred Hitchcock Presents (1959) as Sgt. John Theron in episode "Arthur" and Professor Kersley in episode "The Crystal Trench"
- Black Saddle (1959) as Michael Kent in episode "Client: McQueen"
- One Step Beyond (1959) (1959) as Eric Farley in episode "Night of April 14th"
- Rawhide (1959) as Henry Watkins in episode "Incident of the 13th Man"
- The Twilight Zone (1959) as First Officer McLeod in episode "Judgement Night"
- The Avengers (1961-1969) as John Gascoyne Beresford Steed
- Columbo (1975) as Captain Gibbon in episode "Troubled Waters"
- Sherlock Holmes in New York (1976) as Dr. John Watson
- Battlestar Galactica (1978) as Iblis
- The Sea Wolves (1980) as Major 'Yogi' Crossley
- The Howling (1981) as Dr. George Waggner
- Magnum, P.I. (1984) as David Worth / Chee / the Chinese Doctor
- Murder, She Wrote (1985-1992) as Dayton Whiting / Oliver Trumbull
- A View to a Kill (1985) as Sir Godfrey Tibbett
- Alfred Hitchcock Presents (1988) as Thaddeus
- Waxwork (1988) as Sir Wilfred
- Waxwork II: Lost in Time (1992)
- War of the Worlds (1989) as Valery Kedrov
- P.S. I Love You (1991) as Uncle Ray Bailey
- Sherlock Holmes and the Leading Lady (1991) as Dr. John Watson
- Sherlock Holmes: Incident at Victoria Falls (1992) as Dr. John Watson
- "Don't Look Back in Anger" by Oasis (1995, music video) as the driver
- The Avengers (1998) as Invisible Jones
- Frasier episode "The Show Must Go Off" (2001) as Cecil Headley.