Richard Madden (born 18 June 1986 in Elderslie, Scotland) is a Scottish stage, film, and television actor. Starting his career as a child actor in sitcoms, he broke into the public consciousness for his portrayal of Robb Stark in HBO's wildly popular Game of Thrones. He would later win the Golden Globe for Best Actor Television Series Drama for his role as Police Sergeant David Budd in Bodyguard (2018).
- 2010 Chatroom as Ripley
- 2015 Cinderella (2015) as Prince Kit
- 2016 Bastille Day as Michael Mason
- 2019 Rocketman (2019) as John Reid
- 2019 1917 as Lieutenant Joseph Blake
- 2021 The Eternals as Ikaris
- 2011-2013 Game of Thrones as Robb Stark
- 2011 Sirens (UK) as Ashley Greenwick
- 2014 Klondike as Bill Haskell
- 2015 Lady Chatterley's Lover as Oliver Mellors
- 2016 Medici: Masters of Florence as Cosimo de' Medici
- 2018 Bodyguard (UK 2018) as Sergeant David Budd
- 2013 Castlevania: Lords of Shadow Mirror of Fate as Trevor Belmont / Alucard
- 2014 Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 as Alucard
Tropes associated with his work:
- Actor-Inspired Element: It was his idea to have Talisa killed off in the Red Wedding (her book counterpart isn't present at the event and simply disappears from the narrative).
- Casting Gag: In both Game of Thrones and Cinderella (2015) he plays the next in line to the throne who turns down the good political match to Marry for Love with an Impoverished Patrician (the only difference being that Talisa was willingly impoverished).
- Creator Breakdown: Admits he sobbed on the plane home after filming the Red Wedding.
- Fake American: In Bastille Day. He's joked that it was easier for his co-stars to understand him in that accent than his own.
- Fake Brit: He's Scottish and for some of his most famous roles, he has affected an English accent. Ranging from Oop North (Game of Thrones) to RP (Cinderella (2015)).
- Meme Acknowledgement: It's not specific to just him, but he's aware of the "Marvel snipers" memenote . He's even used the meme verbatim, joking that he's afraid to say anything about The Eternals because "the Marvel snipers might take me out."
- Playing Against Type:
- Weight Woe: In 2019 he came out and admitted he struggled with body image issues and anxiety about whenever a role required a Shirtless Scene. He was also Formerly Fat in his teen years until he got a role in a play that required nudity.