Sherlock Holmes in New York is a 1976 American Made-for-TV Movie about the Great Detective himself, Sherlock Holmes, and his trusted companion Dr. John Watson, played by Roger Moore and Patrick Macnee respectively.
Holmes and Watson travel to New York City in pursuit of Professor Moriarty (John Huston), where the Napoleon of Crime has carried out the ultimate bank robbery. In the meantime, Holmes and Watson are reunited with their old acquaintance Irene Adler (Charlotte Rampling), with whom Holmes enjoys a blossoming romance, while she is also threatened by Moriarty.
The film originally aired on NBC on October 18, 1976.
This film features examples of:
- Big Applesauce: Holmes and Watson visit the Big Apple.
- I Have Your Wife: Moriarty kidnaps Irene Adler's son, telling Holmes that if he does not refuse the case, the boy will die. Hovever, Holmes and Watson manage to track down and rescue the boy soon afterwards, thus removing Moriarty's blackmail card.
- Slobs Versus Snobs: Moriarty criticizes Holmes for his "West End ways." The West End is a wealthy area of London.
- Stolen by Staying Still: This is how Moriarty steals the gold reserves. He constructs a replica of the vault one level above the actual vault, with a tunnel leading away from it. He then gimmicks the elevator so it stops at the fake vault rather than the real vault. The officials find the empty vault and are convinced the gold has been stolen. This gives Moriarty and his men all of the time they need to tunnel into the actual vault and remove all of the gold.
- Would Hurt a Child: Moriarty threatens to kill Irene Adler's son.