Michael McKean (born October 17, 1947 in New York City, New York) is an American actor, comedian and musician. His father, Gilbert, founded the North American branch of Decca Records.
He has a solid résumé of film and TV work; dramatic roles are few-and-far between, but he's proven to be a versatile character actor when required. Among his best-known roles are Lenny (opposite David Lander's "Squiggy") in Laverne & Shirley, David St. Hubbins in This Is Spın̈al Tap, Mr. Green in Clue and Chuck McGill on Better Call Saul.
McKean was also a Saturday Night Live cast member during the tail end of the 19th season (his first episode was the one hosted by figure skater Nancy Kerrigannote ) and into season 20, cited by many as one of the show's worst seasons ever, joining Jean Doumanian's disastrous sixth seasonnote and Lorne Michaels' near-Creator Killer 11th seasonnote . McKean only had one recurring character (Anthony the weatherman from "Good Morning, Brooklyn"), and did a handful of celebrity impressions, including Bill Clinton (replacing Phil Hartman's Clinton prior to Darrell Hammond's famous take on him), Adam West, Gary Busey, Jeffrey Dahmer, Robert Evans, Patrick Stewart, David Hasselhoff (as his character, Mitch Buchannon, from Baywatch), and Vincent Price (in the years before Bill Hader did his take on him). McKean holds the distinction of being the only SNL cast member to hostnote and be a musical guest prior to being hired as a cast member.
McKean and his wife Annette O'Toole were nominated for the Best Original Song Oscar for writing "A Kiss At the End of the Rainbow" from A Mighty Wind. Both have appeared in the DC Comics universe as the Daily Planet Editor and Superman's high-school sweetheart/adopted mother, respectively.
- Laverne & Shirley (1976-1983): Leonard "Lenny" Kosnowski.
- Young Doctors in Love (1982): Dr. Simon August.
- This Is Spın̈al Tap (1984): David St. Hubbins.
- Clue (1985): Mr. Green.
- Planes, Trains and Automobiles (1987): State Trooper.
- Earth Girls Are Easy (1988): Woody.
- Short Circuit 2 (1988): Fred Ritter.
- The Big Picture (1989): Emmett Summer.
- Coneheads (1993): Gorman Seedling.
- Saturday Night Live (1994-1995): Various Characters.
- The Brady Bunch Movie (1995): Larry Dittmeyer.
- The X-Files and The Lone Gunmen (1998-2001): Morris Fletcher.
- Small Soldiers (1998): Insaniac & Troglokhan/Freakenstein.
- Best in Show (2000): Stefan Vanderhoof.
- Primetime Glick (2001-2003): Adrien Van Voorhees.
- Smallville (2003): Perry White.
- A Mighty Wind (2003): Jerry Palter.
- For Your Consideration (2006): Lane Iverson.
- Better Call Saul (2015-2018): Chuck McGill.
- Good Omens (2019): Witchfinder Sgt. Shadwell.
- Breeders (2020): Michael.