Matthew George "Matt" Reeves (born April 27, 1966 in Rockville Centre, New York) is an American director, screenwriter, and producer.
He found success with Cloverfield and the critically acclaimed sequels to Rise of the Planet of the Apes that he directed, and has since been set to write and direct the next cinematic iteration of Batman.
Works on TV Tropes:
- Homicide: Life on the Street (1997, Season 6 episode 8)
- Felicity (1998-2001, several episodes)
- Cloverfield (2008)
- Let Me In (2010)
- Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (2014)
- War for the Planet of the Apes (2017)
- The Passage (2019)
- Tales from the Loop (2020)
- The Batman (2021, tentative title)
Tropes associated with his works:
- Anti-Hero: His films usually feature an imperfect protagonist.
- Downer Ending: His films usually feature one.
- Early Installment Weirdness: His directorial debut was the romantic comedy The Pallbearers, starring David Schwimmer and Gwyneth Paltrow. His subsequent films have been much darker.
- Hero Antagonist: In Dawn and War for the Planet of the Apes.
- Sliding Scale of Idealism vs. Cynicism: While leaning more on the cynical end, it does establish that all his characters are human, sympathetic, and complex creatures.