Daisy Jazz Isobel Ridley (born April 10, 1992 in Westminster, London) is an English actress.
She played small roles in short films and TV series until she became a star practically overnight as Rey, an orphan Force-sensitive scavenger and the central protagonist of the Star Wars sequel trilogy, which debuted with The Force Awakens in December 2015.
She is the grandniece of playwright and actor Arnold Ridley, who played Private Godfrey in Dad's Army.
Filmography and roles:
- Casualty (2013) as Fran Bedingfield
- Toast of London (2013) as Charlotte
- Silent Witness (2014) as Hannah Kennedy
- Mr Selfridge (2014) as Roxy Starlet
- The Inbetweeners 2 (2014, Deleted Role)
- Scrawl (2015) as Hannah
- Star Wars as Rey
- Only Yesterday (2016 English dub) as Taeko Okajima
- The Eagle Huntress (2016 documentary) - Executive producer and narrator
- Murder on the Orient Express (2017) as Mary Debenham
- Ophelia (2019)note as Ophelia
- Peter Rabbit (2018) as Cottontail
- Chaos Walking (2019) as Viola Eade
Tropes in her works:
- Dark Horse Casting: Daisy was the only cast member of The Force Awakens who was a total unknown prior to being announced; her previous roles were composed of mostly extras or bit-part characters and short films.
- Deleted Role: She originally had a role in The Inbetweeners 2, but it ended up being cut entirely after her commitments to The Force Awakens tied up her schedule and made it impossible for her to do reshoots.
- Star-Making Role: Her career has skyrocketed the very day The Force Awakens came out; she was considered for the title role in the Tomb Raider reboot (losing out to Alicia Vikander), has given her voice to the English dub of Only Yesterday, and also became an executive producer to the movie The Eagle Huntress.