Character page for Gunka no Baltzar.
Bernd Baltzar is an officer in the Weissen Army who quickly climbs up the officer ranks during the First Norden-Trade War. After the war he is reassigned as a military advisor and lecturer to Baselland's military academy.
- The Ace: He is top of his class at his military academy days and see Do-Anything Soldier below.
- Badass Teacher
- Do-Anything Soldier: Theorist, instructor, and practitioner of artillery, infantry, cavalry. He is also a diplomat.
- Majorly Awesome: His rank for most of the series.
- Nerves of Steel: Few things can make him panic but if he does, he always can quickly regains his wits.
- No Good Deed Goes Unpunished: see the Main page for details.
- The Paragon: His superior, Groener, praises him as exemplary Weissen soldier in mind, body, and spirit. He is also able to detach his emotion from his reason.
- The Rival: He and Liebknecht competed to be top of their class in their academy days. Then Liebknecht starts to use extreme methods to strengthen Weissen.
- Sole Survivor: Along with Liebknecht to his whole academy, after failed coup attempt.
- We Used to Be Friends: With Liebknecht.
Baltzar's immediate superior in the Weissen Army.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: When Baltzar was first jailed in Baselland, he didn't blame for it and acknowledging the fault is in him and other higher-ups for not having enough information as Baselland only tells minimum info for their request.
Holst Von Stauffenberg : Weissen Army Chief of Staff
The head of the Weissen armed forces and de facto leader of the country.
Reiner August Winklefeldt
Chief drill master of Baselland's Royal Military Academy and 2nd in line for the throne. Later he attempts to use his influence to modernize his country's military and to keep Baselland independent from great power realpolitik.
- Broken Pedestal: He used to idolize his brother but his brother changed...
- Child Prodigy: He made a very detailed (rude, but still has a chance according to Baltzar) plan of a coup before he was 12.
- Drill Sergeant Nasty: Used to this until he met Balzar.
- / BodyDouble: He is not the real Reiner, only randomly chosen Erzreich child.
- Royal Who Actually Do Something: He uses the his influence and kingdom's treasury to educate people, strengthen his nation, and keep his nation's independent.
Franz Theodor Winklefeldt
Crown prince and heir apparent to the Baselland throne. His conservative and isolationist policies stand in opposition to Reiner's. Later it is revealed that he plans to align the country to Erzreich under Rudolph's influence.
- Ambiguous Disorder: He is diagnosed with psychosomatic lapse and paranoia when Reiner brings some psychiatrists to him. Readers may also see Inferiority Superiority Complex in him.
- The Caligula: Minor, but he is a ruler who tends to give tantrums if something does not go in his way. Not to mention his hobby in art.
- / BodyDouble: He is not the real Franz, only randomly chosen Erzreich child.
- Inferiority Superiority Complex
Second year student in the artillery division. He is the heir to Strunz Heavy Industries.
- Genius Ditz: Has some shades of this. He can gawk at wonder of modern arms for hours, making people question if he understands if those arms are used for bloodshed.
- Puppet King: He is instated as Director of Baselland Railroad Company but everyone knows Balzar is the one pulling his strings. His only concerns are whether the company is used to draw Basellaand into Weissen's conflicts instead. Baltzar then explains to him, in the short run the company will be used as Weissen's tools but in the long run, HE, Dieter will be the one to choose what direction the company will take.
Second year student in the artillery division.
- Always Second Best: To Dieter in Artillery Class.
- Humble Goal: To be a governmental clerk in peaceful office after he graduates.
- "Join the Army", They Said: You could become governmental clerk in peaceful office they said. He has none but himself to blame this trope. Unknown to him things are going to change for Baselland so wars are surely coming.
- Massive Numbered Siblings: He has 8 siblings.
- Wise Beyond Their Years: As Baltzar points out himself, Paul's understanding of his choices' consequences means that he has the greater soldierly potential over Dieter. When he is chosen as part of the academy contingent for the war against Holbeck, he does not ponder over his future lightly.
Student in the infantry division.
- Friendly Sniper
- Heroic Sacrifice: Minor. He used to have bruises and scratches all over him to protect Thomas.
- The Quiet One: He talks less than his peers.
Student in the infantry division.
- The Load: Used to be this. So Marcel has to protect him. Not his fault really but his musket.
Helmut Markus von Babel
Student in the cavalry division.
- The Lad-ette: Just before her gender reveal, everybody (except cavalry cadets) sees Helmut as a guy.
- Lady Looks Like a Dude: No one in the academy [except cavalry cadets(not even the reader] knew that Helmut is a girl. Baltzar (except cavalry cadets) is the first person to discover this when Helmut tries to get rid of the leeches from her body and then, Balzer saw her breasts.
- Oblivious to Love: Posibbly to Jurgen
- Open Secret: To Cavalry Division those spoilered bits are this. Then Jurgen spilled the beans to Paul, Dieter, Marcel and Thomas.
- She Cleans Up Nicely: At Gala in Weissen's Embassy in Erzreich, she had to wear a dress. She doesn't look much different but still a feast to the eyes.
- Suppressed Mammaries: Done in the same way as Mulan
Student in the cavalry division.
- Arranged Marriage: To Helmut
- Cannot Spit It Out: To Helmut
- Conflicting Loyalty: He has to choose between 1) Helmut who stay in Academy 2) his family and friends who chooses to join Prince Franz's faction.
Frank von Baumann
Headmaster of the academy.
Head instructor and vice-principal of the academy.
A cavalry officer in the Holbeck Army. During the Second Norden-Trade War he leads the invading Holbeck troops on the Norden-Trade peninsula's eastern coast.
Empress Maria Ludovica
The monarch of Erzreich.
- Altar Diplomacy: Planning to marry her Granddaughter to Reiner (Who is anti-Erzreich), while Franz to marry a Weissen princess (Who is anti-Weissen)
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Implied, she looks like a kind old lady, but has been manipulating Baselland long before the series begins.
- Expy: To Maria Theresa.
- The Chessmaster: Oh yes.
- The Reveal: The real Reiner and Franz were kidnapped in 1845, never be found (kinda hard to find your baby in a midst of 315), she convinced the queen to pick anyone, then essentially blackmailed the two princes, using the truth as leverage.
Rudolph von Liebknecht (WARNING: SPOILER)
A political agitator and a former junior officer of the Weissen Imperial Guard; he was once Baltzar's friend during their military academy days. When the First Norden-Trade War began, he led a military coup in Weissen, that in spite of its failure gave the Weissen military a more prominent role in the country. Officially, he is a Baselland court musician, but he later reveals himself to be an officer serving under the Ezreich Empire. He has a spinoff called Yuukoku no Liebknecht, Liebknecht the Patriot.
- Bomb Throwing Anarchist: Can disguise himself to be one when leading a worker's coup.
- The Chessmaster
- Evil Redhead: Morally ambigous and has red hair.
- Eyepatch Of Evil=/=Eyepatch of Power: He has both in his right eye.
- Impoverished Patrician: He has a noble title and a manor but not much wealth. What makes exemplary is he doesn't mind this part much and focus to pursue his military career, and later a mysterious goal.
- The Paragon / Paragon Always Rebel: He with Baltzar competed to be top of their class in their academy days. Then he incites a revolt...
- The Rival / Rival Turned Evil: He with Baltzar competed to be top of their class in their academy days. Then he starts to use extreme methods to strengthen Weissen.
- Sole Survivor: Along with Baltzar to his whole academy, after failed coup attempt.]]
- We Used to Be Friends: With Baltzar.
- Welll Intentioned Extremist: He claims his goal is to strengthen Weissen but he does so with war. Also the readers know the one strengthened the most is military and that will incite equivalent of WW1.
Dieter's father and the head of Strunz Heavy Industries.