- Dragonheart has something known as the Old Code. It was apparently the creed that King Arthur's knights lived by:A Knight is sworn to Valor.
His Heart knows only Virtue.
His Blade Defends the Helpless.
His Strength Upholds the Weak.
His Word speaks only Truth.
His Wrath Undoes the Wicked!
Call when you've need of me.
- It also has an oath of service:
Ask what you will of me.
My sword — and my service — are yours.
Inside the Table's circle,
- In the novelization, the Code in full is revealed:
Under the Sacred Sword,
A Knight must vow to follow
The Code that is unending.
Unending as the Table -
A Ring by Honour bound.A Knight is sworn to Valour.
His Heart knows only Virtue.
His Blade defends the Helpless.
His Might upholds the Weak.
His Word speaks only Truth.
His Wrath undoes the Wicked.The Right can never die
If one man still recalls.
The Words are not forgot
If one voice speaks them clear.
The Code forever shines
If one heart holds it bright.
- The Master Chief of G.I. Jane has a tendency to become sadistically philosophical whenever his recruits are going through particularly painful or difficult training:Pain is your friend. Your ally. It will tell you when you are seriously injured. It will keep you awake, and angry, and remind you to finish the job, and get the hell home. But you know the best thing about pain? It lets you know you're not dead yet!
- Pulp Fiction: "The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyrannies of evil men..." However, Jules chose it just because it sounds cool, and he's still trying to figure out whether he's the man described in it.
- This was cribbed from the Sonny Chiba classic "The Bodyguard," one of Tarantino's favorite grindhouse flicks.
- "At other schools, they send young girls unprepared into a cold merciless world. But here at St. Trinian's, it is the merciless world which must be prepared."
Maidens of St Trinian's, gird your armour on.
- Arguably, the school songs also qualify. The version from 1954:
Grab the nearest weapon; never mind which one.
The battle's to the strongest; might is always right.
Trample on the weakest; glory in their plight.
St Trinian's! St Trinian's! Our battle cry.
St Trinian's! St Trinian's! Will never die.
Stride towards your fortune boldly on your way,
Never once forgetting there's one born every day.
Let our motto be broadcast: "get your blow in first!"
She who draws the sword last always comes off worst.
We are the best
- And the chorus and tag of the song from the 2007 film:
So screw the rest
We do as we damn well please
Until the end
Defenders of anarchy
We do as we damn well please
Until the end
Defenders of anarchy
- The 13th Warrior (this is actually a prayer for the dead but they use it like this trope):Lo, there do I see my fatherLo, there do I see my mother and my sisters and my brothersLo, there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginningLo, they do call to meThey bid me take my place among themWhere the braveMay liveForever!
- 300 used the actual Spartan creed of: "Come home with this shield or upon it." Dead soldiers were carried home on their shields, and victorious ones would carry their shields back, but cowards who ran from battle would throw their heavy shields away. Likewise, "No retreat! No surrender!" also speaks to this mindset.
- In his last film role in The Shootist John Wayne's character is a gunfighter with this creed:"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them!"
- TRON: "I fight for the users!"
- Star Wars:
There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.There is no passion, there is serenity.There is no chaos, there is harmony.There is no death, there is the Force.
- The Code of the Jedi...
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.Through passion, I gain strength.Through strength, I gain power.Through power, I gain victory.Through victory, my chains are broken.The Force shall free me.
- ... and of the Sith.
Jedi are the guardians of peace in the galaxy.Jedi use their powers to defend and to protect.Jedi respect all life, in any form.Jedi serve others rather than ruling over them, for the good of the galaxy.Jedi seek to improve themselves through knowledge and training.
- Upon reestablishing the Jedi Order, Luke Skywalker had this creed:
The crystal is the heart of the blade.The heart is the crystal of the Jedi.The Jedi is the crystal of the Force.The Force is the blade of the heart.All are intertwined.The crystal, the blade, the Jedi.We are one.
- An unofficial, rarely used creed for constructing a new lightsaber:
We, the Rebel Alliance, do therefore in the name—and by the authority—of the free beings of the Galaxy, solemnly publish and declare our intentions:To fight and oppose you and your forces, by any and all means at our disposal;To refuse any Imperial law contrary to the rights of free beings;To bring about your destruction and the destruction of the Galactic Empire;To make forever free all beings in the galaxy.To these ends, we pledge our property, our honor, and our lives.
- The members of the Rebel Alliance get to crib from the Continental Congress for the Declaration of Rebellion:
- Galaxy Quest: "By Grabthar's hammer, by the suns of Warvan, you shall be avenged!" Though typically played for comedy (rightfully, as the catchphrase of a cheesy TV show), it's used very well during a certain dramatic point in the movie. His character's race in the show apparently took vengeance seriously. The film's ersatz Federation's motto is "Never give up! Never surrender!", which is also intentionally cheesy.
- In the crime thriller The Boondock Saints, the main characters would give a little prayer before executing a mafioso:"And Shepherds we shall be
For thee, my Lord, for thee.
Power hath descended forth from Thy hand
Our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
And teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In Nomine Patri, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti."
Rocco: Men do not cry. Men do not pout. Men check you on the fucking jaw, AND SAY...Det. Greenly: Thanks for coming out! *whack!*
- In addition, the movie's Dragon combines his prayer with a Luke, I Am Your Father, and a Heel–Face Turn:"And when I raise my flashing sword
And my hand takes hold in judgment,
I will take vengeance upon mine enemies
And I will repay those who hate me.
O Lord, raise me to Thy right hand
And count me among Thy saints."
- And another:"Whosoever sheds man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed. For in the image of God made he man."
"Destroy that which is evil. So that which is good may flourish."
"And I shall count thee among my favored sheep. And you shall have the protection of all the angels in heaven."
"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God."
- And in the sequel, two characters end a speech on manliness with this golden nugget of badassitude:
- In addition, the movie's Dragon combines his prayer with a Luke, I Am Your Father, and a Heel–Face Turn:
- From the Robocop series, a set of Prime Directives that for all intents and purposes acts like a Badass Creed:Serve the public trust. Protect the innocent. Uphold the law.
- "Nut up or shut up."
- The opening song from Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End.The king and his men, stole the queen from her bed,
And bound her in her bones.
The seas be ours, and by the powers
Where we will, we'll roam.
Yo, ho, altogether,
Hoist the colors high.
Heave, ho, thieves and beggars,
Never shall we die!
- Short Circuit has a more humorous one:"Los Locos kick your ass!"
"Los Locos kick your face!"
"Los Locos kick your balls into ou-ter SPAAAAAACE!"
- This one:Anonymity is your name,
Silence your native tongue.
You're no longer part of the System.
You're above the System.
We are "Them."
We are "They."
We are the Men in Black.
- Crimson Tide has one, sorta.Ramsey: You're aware of the name of this ship [sic], aren't you Mister COB?Walters: Very aware, sir!Ramsey: It bears a proud name, doesn't it Mister COB?Walters: Very proud, sir!Ramsey: It represents fine people!Walters: Very fine people, sir!Ramsey: Who live in a fine, outstanding state!Walters: Outstanding, sir!Ramsey: In the greatest country in the entire world!Walters: In the entire world, sir!Ramsey: And what is that name, Mister COB?Walters: Alabama, sir!Ramsey: And what do we say?Ramsey/Walters: Go Bama!Crew: Roll Tide!
- The Beast Of War. Sitting in a dead tank in the middle of Afghanistan, with a grenade in his hand:Daskal: Out of commission, become a pillbox. Out of ammo, become a bunker. Out of time, become heroes.
- From Tall Tales: "Protect the land, defend the defenseless, and never spit in front of women or children." *spits*
- From Men of Honor: "The Navy Diver is not a fighting man, he is a salvage expert. If it is lost underwater, he finds it. If it's sunk, he brings it up. If it's in the way, he moves it. If he's lucky, he will die young, 200 feet beneath the waves, for that is the closest he'll ever get to being a hero. Hell, I don't know why anybody'd want to be a Navy diver."
- In Holy Weapon, Super Sword cites one at the beginning of the climax:"I am the master of Liu Sang School of martial arts. Now, I make a sincere wish. Hope all the Gods and Evils listen to me. From now on, I will rule over the whole world of martial arts. And I will devote myself to my beloved country. Until our country conquer China. If anyone wants to stop me, I will terminate it with no mercy. I will keep my promise."
- From Battle: Los Angeles, the 2/5 Marines quote a WWI captain. "Retreat? Hell!"
- Ghost Rider:Johnny Blaze: [to Mephistopheles after he attempts to take the power of the Ghost Rider from him] No. I'm gonna own this curse... and I'm gonna use it against you. Whenever innocent blood is spilt, it'll be my father's blood... and you'll find me there. A spirit of vengeance... fighting fire with fire.
- From Kingdom of Heaven, as Balian is being knighted:Godfrey of Ibelin: Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong. That is your oath.[cuffs Balian with the back of his hand]And that's so you remember it.
- In Wreck-It Ralph, the pledge of Bad Guys Anonymous:"I'm bad and that's good. I'll never be good, and that's not bad. There's no one I'd rather be than me."
- From The Princess Bride:Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
- The Addams Family motto "Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc" translates into "We gladly feast on those who would subdue us". Doubles as Brick Joke when in the second movie two school camp counselors try to subdue Wednesday and Pugsley and are last seen being cooked by Wednesday's accomplices.
- In Mulan, the chorus of "I'll Make A Man Out Of You" is a creed.Be a Man!
We must be swift as a coursing river
Be a Man!
With all the force of a great typhoon
Be a Man!
With all the strength of a raging fire
Mysterious as the dark side of the moon!
- The Jungle Book (2016): The Law of the Jungle becomes this, at the final showdown. "The strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack!"
- Assassin's Creed (2016): The full version of the titular Creed appears at the beginning and the end for Aguilar and Callum's Assassin induction ceremonies. "While others blindly follow the truth, remember: nothing is true. While others are bound by morality or law, remember: everything is permitted. We work in the dark to serve the light. We are Assassins." Also, the Arabic rendition of "Nothing is true and everything is permitted" ("La shaaya waqin moutlaq bale kouloun moumkin") is repeated by various characters as well, more prominently Callum's father.
- In The Flight of Dragons Sir Orrin gives the creed of a Knight in Shining Armor as he makes his Last Stand:"Blade with whom I have lived, blade with whom I now die. Serve right and justice one last time! Seek one last heart of evil, still one last life of pain. Cut well old friend, and then... farewell.
- Pacific Rim, Stacker Pentecost summing what the mission is:At the edge of our hope, at the end of our time, we have chosen not only to believe in ourselves, but in each other. Today there is not a man nor woman in here that shall stand alone. Not today. Today we face the monsters that are at our door and bring the fight to them! Today, we are cancelling the apocalypse!"
- The Witwicky Family motto in the first Transformers film."No sacrifice, no victory".
Badass Creed / Film