Fanfic / The Pokémon Squad
is a fanfic series created by Raquaza Master ("RM"), and his friend, Sailor Pikachu (known as MickeyMouse here, though she quit at the end of 2010) based on the Pokémon
anime. It focuses on the not-so-typical lives of RM and his friends living in his mansion. Living there are otaku RM's Friend, classic Nickelodeon
junkie Sailor Pikachu, and all the main humans in Pokemon. Also there are Henry and June of KaBlam!!
, and The Penguins of Madagascar
. Later arrivals are Dawn from KaBlam!!
, RM's Other Friend, RM's Friend's Twin, among others. They live next door to the Yaoi House, which includes Dora the Explorer
, Roger Klotz
and the home's main couple, Rudy and Snap
. Other characters such as Doug Funnie, the Recess
, The Annoying Orange
, and Loopy and Larry
, are in it too.
All the characters have their Pokemon, but Pikachu and RM's Mudkip, Sqirt, are evil and want to rule over earth.
Most of the non-original characters have been Flanderized
, but to a funny extent.
Now on 77 episodes and several shorts located here
Provides examples of:
- The Ace: RM.
- A Child Shall Lead Them: Brock when he runs for president of Kanto, although technically he's a teenager.
- A-Cup Angst: Poor June.
- A Good Name for a Rock Band: In one episode, RM watches too much Stupid Mario Brothers and decides to start a rock band. What does he name it? Jimmy Rayquaza and the Masters.
- The Alcoholic: June
- Brock could also classify, seeing as it's his "juice" that gets her drunk. Yet, we never see him drinking it, so probably not.
- It was only confirmed to be his "juice" the first time. Also, June was an alcoholic long before episode 4. According to the real RM and Sailor Pikachu, there are plans for a scene at Alcoholics Anonymous
- Apparently, Alcoholics Anonymous banned June for life when she attacked the leader of the group for telling the group members to try to go a week without drinking.
- Doug Funnie.
- Two words: Elmo. Reddmonster.
- All Just a Dream: Actually several episodes.
- All Men Are Perverts: 50% of the male cast.
- Subverted with Gretchen, as she's got a perverted side, but she's a girl.
- All Women Are Lustful: June
- Miss Grotke. To a lesser extent, Delia.
- Aloof Big Brother: Inverted with RM's Friend's Twin. RM's Friend fits the description of the trope, but he's the younger sibling.
- An Ice Person: RM's Abomasnow. Also Sqirt when using an Ice type attack.
- Artifact Title: It really was only in the pilot (which the real RM and Sailor Pikachu both like to pretend didn't exist) that all of the main characters except for the Author Avatars were Pokemon and only the background characters were from other series. Very next episode? We get Henry and June and the Penguins as main characters, while dropping a surprising number of the non-Pokemon background characters. The episode after that, most of the Yaoi House cast is introduced, and a few episodes later they become really major as it's shown they live next door to the Mansion.
- The real RM has recently stated, however, that due to Sailor Pikachu's prompting, he'll be trying to write out some of the non-Pokemon characters except the Yaoi House to make it more of a Pokemon series again.
- Ascended Extra: Pretty much everyone in the Yaoi House, Doug Funnie, and some others.
- TO THE EXTREME with the Yaoi House. They first appeared in episode 3 as the prison guards when RM took over the world. Then it's revealed that they live next door (though it's not revealed until episode 6, and it's only actually shown that Barney lives there). They quickly become important parts of the cast (in more ways than one), and even have several episodes centered around them. Additionally, Word of God says that after Pokemon Squad is finished, RM (the real one) plans to write a new series completely centered around the Yaoi House.
- England. He starts with just a cameo appearance in a scene that had little to do with the plot of an episode, but then in a short he's revealed to have a past with June, which is demonstrated in several episodes.
- Author Appeal: "Eliza Thornberry"'s OTP of Buzz Lightyear and Woody. The real RM ships Buzz and Woody, as does the real Sailor Pikachu.
- Author Avatar: RM and Sailor Pikachu ARE REAL PEOPLE. They have different names, that's all.
- Ditto for RM's Friend, RM's Other Friend, RM's Friend's Twin, and Flashbacks 37 (though he ended up being written out). They don't write Pokemon Squad, though.
- Babies Make Everything Better: In the Lost Episode May and RM kidnap Poof from The Fairly OddParents! and Tommy Pickles from Rugrats.
- Bad-Guy Bar, Good-Guy Bar: Elmo's Tavern could qualify as a strange combination of the two. Doug often develops his schemes to kill Barney there, and June spends long nights in bar fights, but as mentioned by Barney just about everyone in Unnamed Town who is a heavy drinker goes (except, ironically, Barney, as he's banned from it for life by Elmo himself).
- Beach Episode: Appropriatly titled, "Pokemon Squad Goes to the Beach".
- Bee Afraid: RM is terrified of them.
- Berserk Button: Don't call Ash fat.
- Don't call T.J. fat.
- Don't get June angry.
- Don't take away coffee from Sailor Pikachu or get her angry.
- Don't refer to Spinelli by her first name (Ashley)
- Don't say any derogative comments toward purple people in front of Telly, Count Von Count, or Beebe
- If Brock sees Red, he WILL go insane.
- Bi Fauxnen: June.
- Big Eater: Ash.
- Also, RM occasionally
- And Sailor Pikachu if it involves shrimp cocktail....
- May. She has said she eats 48 BOWLS OF NOODLES in ONE SITTING.
- Bilingual Bonus: On RM's character bio, it's said he speaks Japanese, Chinese, Swedish, and German.
- Most of his character songs utilize Japanese or Chinese, and several lines in episodes have him speaking German. His Swedish has yet to be seen outside his bio.
- Well, now it's been seen outside of his bio. Granted, it was his cat who said it, but the cat is essentially a feline equivalent of him.
- Sqirt is an Expy of Arnold Schwarzenegger, complete with Gratuitous German.
- Bishōnen: RM.
- Ash thinks this of RM's Friend.
- RM arguably thinks this of him as well.
- RM's Friend's Twin could be considered this, seeing as how many people might think this of him.
- Butt Monkey: Both Dawns and Ash.
- Henry, too. And June if it's about "talent."
- Camp Gay: James, Harley, and seemingly Barney, though some evidence implies that he's actually pansexual but just for children.
- Camp Straight: RM. He acts ridiculously flamboyant at times, but he's in a relationship with May.
- However, he does seem to have a thing for RM's Friend, who he calls "Onii-sama," and RM's Friend's Twin, who he calls "Nii-chan."
- He also enjoys being genderbent a little too much and has asked his "Nii-chan" several times to marry him (and it's implied he's done this with RM's Friend even more times). No word yet on whether he's joking or not about this...
- He likely isn't joking (at least about enjoying being genderbent), since he more or less says in the episode where Pokemon Squad is bought by Saban that he enjoys being genderbent so much he's willing to let Pokemon Squad stay the property of Saban.
- Captain Ersatz: Barnard Dinosaur and Bargaret Frank-Dinosaur are this to Homer and Marge Simpson
- Cloudcuckoolander: Ash Ketchum to the extreme.
- Obviously, also Barney. And Baloney. And Pachirisu is this when it comes to her crush on RM.
- Chubby Chaser: Spinelli mentions that she thinks T.J.'s cute because he's chubby. Doesn't stop her from teasing him with the rest of the gang, however.
- Cool Big Sis: Sailor Pikachu. This is mostly seen in the episode where Mac mistakes Jessie's Wobbuffet for Bloo and thinks "Bloo" deserted him, and Sailor Pikachu tries making him feel better.
- Covert Pervert: Gretchen from Recess. To most people, she just appears as a Child Prodigy. She gets much enjoyment out of reading yaoi and yuri manga, sometimes her glasses could be turned into Yuri Goggles (or Yaoi Goggles), and her favorite scenes in The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya are the ones when Haruhi starts erm..."playing" with Mikuru.
- Plus, she's the one in the Recess Gang that knows the most about "whomping".
- She also writes a lot of yuri/yaoi fanfiction and fanfic going off into Rule 34 territory. Isn't she nine?
- Creator Backlash: Sailor Pikachu (the real one) is more than ready to bash the series with her friends.
- Crossover: Sailor Pikachu appears at the end of the ninth episode of The Looney Scientists Show for everyone to celebrate her birthday.
- Crossover Shipping: Mac is in a relationship with Bubbles.
- Cute Bruiser: Pikachu, Pachirisu, Sqirt the Mudkip, Raichu, Plusle, Minun, and June.
- Not to mention RM's Manaphy.
- And Spinelli later on.
- Cute Kitten: Meowth. Plus, Sailor Pikachu loves cats.
- Dark Horse Victory: Squidward, when he wins Kanto's presidential election despite not even running.
- Department of Redundancy Department: The Francois Pokemon-Trainer Pokemon Trainer School for Pokemon Trainers.
- Deserted Island: On two occasions. In one, all main characters get stranded on a Castaway Island. In the next, RM gets stranded on another Castaway Island while Ash and June get stranded on a nearby "Far Side" Island.
- Although size-wise the deserted island Ash and June are on the second time is somewhere between "Far Side" Island and Castaway Island.
- Dirty Old Man: Barney. He's two hundred million years old (if anyone remembers his birthday episode in 1992). Plus, Word of God says he cosplays as Rei's grandpa (from Sailor Moon) with George W. Bush, his best friend.
- Disney Acid Sequence: The "He's All Alone" song in an episode about how Barney's family's dead.
- Same thing happens in another future episode when Rudy and Snap break up.
- And in the episode where Baloney is shot.
- The Ditz: Ash.
- Don't Try This at Home: Pretty much all of RM and Max's experiments. Also, anything relating to a Pokemon attack or June's alcoholism.
- Double Standard: Abuse, Female on Male: June on Ash and Henry, and to a lesser extent, Brock.
- Dream Sequence
- Drowning My Sorrows: Mac does this with ice cream when he thinks Bloo (actually Wobbuffett) deserts him.
- In the first movie, a parody of The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie, Ash and Brock reference the infamous scene in the movie where SpongeBob and Patrick get drunk on ice cream to drown their sorrows.
- Dumb Blonde: Completely averted. RM is one of the smartest characters. Sailor Pikachu is also relatively smart, and RM's Other Friend is another very smart character.
- In RM's case, it's averted so much it's scary... Such as his rounding π to 1120 digits...
- Even Nerds Have Standards: Max is arguably on the second highest tier, and ditto for RM (arguably, anyway, since they both work in the lab together and invent stuff together). Next tier: RM's Friend, RM's Friend's Twin, and Sailor Pikachu, and arguably RM's Other Friend.
- Everything's Better with Dinosaurs: Ash's Torterra and RM's Torterra. Remember, Torterra is a cross between an ankylosaur and a tortoise. Also, RM loves dinosaurs.
- Not always "better," Barney and Baloney make everything worse.
- Barney Frank, Barney's older brother, sometimes makes things better.
- Everything's Better with Monkeys: Infernape, King Julien, Mort, and Maurece.
- Everything's Better with Penguins: The Penguins of Madagascar
- Everything's Deader with Zombies: In one episode, several main characters catch a virus that turns them into zombies.
- Nutty in more ways than one on the occasions that she dashes up RM's pants.
- Everything's Squishier with Cephalopods: Squidward.
- "Fantastic Voyage" Plot: In one episode, Ash swallows Sailor Pikachu's Invader Zim DVD thinking it's a flat donut. Sailor Pikachu demands Max gets it out of him, so Max shrinks Brock and RM to go get it. And guess what the episode is called? RM and Brock: Ash's Inside Story.
- Fat Idiot: Ash and Barney.
- Fire, Ice, Lightning: Fire: Ash's Infernape, Red's Charizard, and RM's Rayquaza if it uses Flamethrower. Ice: Ash's Buizel is it uses Ice Punch, RM's Abomasnow and Red's Lapras. Lightning: Ash's Pikachu, Red's Pikachu, Sailor Pikachu's Raichu, Henry and June (Sailor Pikachu's Minun and Plusle, respectively), and RM's Pachirisu.
- Flanderization: And how!
- Not only have non-original characters been Flanderized, but there's a fair amount of in-series Flanderization, for both original and non-original characters. Ash just keeps getting stupider, June keeps getting crueler, Max keeps getting smarter, and Barney keeps getting more child molestation obsessed.
- RM's dislike for My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic is HEAVILY Flanderized. He's become paranoid of a brony uprising to the point where he even has invented many things specifically for that occasion. He seems to think bronies are behind nearly everything, which is extremely odd for him as he's extremely smart.
- Forced into Their Sunday Best: The Pokemon Squad during Barney's birthday party. They don't enjoy it.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: Has its own page here.
- Go-Karting with Bowser: Ash plays poker with Team Rocket in an episode. Meanwhile RM's and RM's Other Friend's Poker Club invites Fanboy and Chum Chum to play poker with them. Fanboy ends up betting all of his internal organs except one kidney and loses. Chum Chum ends up betting his entire body and loses. RM obviously uses Chum Chum for something pretty important.
- Goofy Print Underwear: June wears childrens' Sailor Moon underwear that glow in the dark.
- Gotta Catch Them All: Greatly subverted, but it's something both Ash and RM want to do.
- Green Thumb: Ash's Torterra, RM's Torterra, RM's Abomasnow, and Red's Venusaur.
- Harmless Electrocution: Ash and his Pikachu, Red and his Pikachu, and RM and his Pachirisu.
- Heroic B.S.O.D.: Every time someone brings up that Buzz is a toy, he goes through one of these.
- Hollywood Nerd: Max is type one, as is RM. Sailor Pikachu and RM's Friend are arguably between type one and type two. RM's Other Friend also is arguably between type one and type two.
- Hollywood Tone-Deaf: Ash. He can't sing. He just can't.
- I Am Big Boned: Ash often says this.
- And T.J. uses the term "bulky" for himself.
- Instant Awesome, Just Add Dragons: RM's Rayquaza and Red's Charizard.
- Interspecies Romance: RM's Pachirisu has a crush on RM and is sometimes willing to outrageous extents to win RM. In fact, when RM became king Pachirisu volunteered for jail guard duty and chased Ash halfway to Egypt.
- Jerk Ass: June.
- And Sailor Pikachu when she's angry and/or hasn't had her coffee.
- Also Paul, but less so than in the anime.
- RM, when it comes to bronies.
- Barney Frank is hugely this to his younger brother Barney.
- Jiggle Physics: The girls (minus June) in the beach episode.
- Lethal Chef: June and Ash. Also debatably RM's Friend for fairly obvious reasons.
- Lost Him in a Card Game: Ash bets Pikachu to Team Rocket in a poker game in an episode and loses.
- Fanboy and Chum Chum lose most of their bodies in a card game in said episode. Actually, Fanboy loses everything but a kidney and Chum Chum loses his ENTIRE BODY.
- Lovable Alpha Bitch: Sailor Pikachu...kinda. She's the closest thing the series has to one, anyway.
- Making a Splash: Sqirt, RM's Manaphy, Ash's Buizel, Red's Blastoise, Red's Lapras, RM's Rayquaza when it uses Surf, etc.
- Meaningful Name: Sailor Pikachu loves Pikachu, and is a huge Sailor Moon fan.
- Meganekko: Sailor Pikachu
- Mockbuster: In-universe. Bernie & Pals
- Our Dragons Are Different: June. Very different, considering she's not a dragon at all. But, then again, this is metaphorically, referring to her nasty attitude. Western dragon, I'd say.
- RM's Rayquaza is an Eastern Dragon.
- Red's Charizard is a Western dragon.
- People's Republic of Tyranny: When RM finds out he's royalty.
- Playful Otter: Ash's Buizel.
- President Evil: In one episode, James runs for president of Kanto.
- The Quiet One: RM's friend
- Also, whenever the Recess gang speak, it's usually T.J., Vince, or Spinelli. Gretchen, Gus, and Mikey don't have as many.
- Rags to Royalty: Everyone in RM's Mansion in the episode "The RM Who Would Be King." Although, they weren't really in rags, seeing as they lived in a MANSION.
- Real Life Writes the Plot: Sailor Pikachu was going to stay single in the series. Once the real Sailor Pikachu got a boyfriend, he was slated to appear in a future episode, but by Sailor Pikachu's request, he won't be appearing.
- Sailor Pikachu is slated to leave the series soon so (in-universe) she can persue a solo career in music. In real life, the real Sailor Pikachu admitted on another site that due to depression and other things going on in her life, she needed to move on.
- Really Gets Around: Miss Grotke
- Running Gag: June swearing in almost every sentence she says. Censored, though.
- Brock laughing creepily whenever something that could be interpreted pervertedly is said. "Heheheheheh..."
- RM's Friend rarely speaking and always reading manga.
- Jokes about Ash being fat.
- Jokes about June's "talent."
- June turning into a Shonen anime version of herself when she takes out her ponytail and takes off her sweater.
- "OMG THEY KILLED DAWN! YOU IDIOTS!"
- Whenever RM's Friend talks...
- Whenever Brock thinks of a great idea...
- "I just thought of something great! IIIII JUUUUUUUUST THOOOOUUUUUGHT OOOOOOOF SOOOOOMETHIIIIIIIIIIING GREEEEEEAAAAAAT..."
- June getting intimate.
- Rudy and Snap "getting oosh, oosh, gooshy."
- Ash shipping RM and Sailor Pikachu.
- Brock seeming like more of a friend of RM than RM's Friend... and sometimes more than anyone else, like when they were planning RM's birthday.
- Anyone else besides Max, anyway.
- "Hi, I'm Paul!" You know, Paul the three-eyed monkey from the end of The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius.
- Cameron the Photographer appearing out of nowhere at the worst times.
- "I just gotta sketch this!"
- The creepy laughs of several characters.
- Gary saying "Nyeh."
- This actually could count as a Shout-Out to Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Series, but most likely is a reference to Gary's dub voice being one of those voices that makes you think "Nyeh" due to being somewhat nasal.
- RM being mistaken for a girl has turned into this, as has much of his camp behavior.
- Fanboy and Chumchum being grotesquely killed. Being eaten (especially by June) seems to be the most common now.
- Shout-Out: "I WILL SING THE DOOM SONG NOW!"
"Hey, Brock!" Ash said, tapping Brock on the shoulder. Brock was reading a hentai manga.
"What, Ash? What?!" Brock yelled. "What could possibly be so important that you would distract me from reading my hentai manga just to tell me about it?!"
"I just had my first successful bowel movement in 2 years!"
Brock hit Ash on the head with the manga.
"Ow..." Ash cried. "Brock, that was just a joke and a well timed Yuioh Abridged
- Sick Episode
- Smart People Speak The Queen's English: RM, who isn't even British, and RM's Other Friend. RM is notable for going even further into this trope when he's angry.
- Special Guest: Five in one episode: Richard Michael Alvarez, Dane Kevin Cook, Matt Provencal, Chris Muller, and Doug Orofino. All in costume as their characters in Stupid Mario Brothers.
- Spiritual Successor: The Looney Scientists Show, a fanfic series on the same site. The episodes are made by Lancelot Niccals (another user on RM's site) and the concept was thought of by her and former co-creator of Pokémon Squad, Sailor Pikachu (which really only started out as a parody of The Looney Tunes Show)
- Sound Effects Bleep: "WHAT THE -Nick nick nick nick nick nick nick nick, Nickelodeon-"
- During one of the scenes where the Recess gang are in school, Miss Grotke teaches them about the difference between flying and falling...with style. Finding the entire concept ridiculous, she says "Man, this lesson is a load of sh-" and then the bell rings.
- Spoiled Sweet: Sailor Pikachu (most of the time)
- Stalker with a Crush: Roger, to Doug.
- Stock Superpowers: Just about everyone in a future episode where they get super powers.
- Sufficiently Advanced Alien: In one episode when the Yolkians and ZIM want to take over the world again, just about every famous sci-fi alien and every Starship Enterprise crew member takes the side of the Pokemon Squad main characters and fight an epic all-out battle against the Yolkians.
- Talking Animal: All the Pokemon.
- Though most speak secretly. Only a few are open about it.
- Take That!: Everyone's upset in one episode because they're getting bought by.......DiC.
- The Idiot from Osaka: Averted in one of the weirdest ways possible with Barney's cousin Baka. His name MEANS idiot, he's from Osaka, but he's smarter than Barney and possibly Barney Frank.
- The Movie: One every 25 episodes starting on Episode 50 with the REAL movie.
- The Speechless: Red.
- The Voiceless: RM's Friend.
- It seems RM thinks of him as a Cute Mute, which is just one example of the huge amount of Ho Yay between them. Interestingly, much of the Ho Yay seems to be stemming from RM's Friend talking so rarely.
- Those Three Guys: Larry, Cilan, and Barbie.
- The Purple Gang: Telly, Count von Count, and Beebe.
- Sailor Pikachu and June are the standard Those Two Guys, as well as Ash and Henry.
- There are SEVERAL Those Two Guys groups with RM. RM and Brock, RM and Max, RM and RM's Friend, RM and RM's Friend's Twin, RM and RM's Other Friend (who practically have an ongoing comedy routine involving her height), RM and Kowalski, need I go on?
- Woody and Buzz. Gretchen has..other thoughts on them.
- Also Sqirt and Pikachu or Sqirt and Pachirisu.
- Title Drop: Parodied when the Recess gang are in class. After the bell rings, Miss Grotke mentions, "Okay, it's time for...oh great, I'm going to end up doing a title drop to the show we're usually on, aren't I?"
- Toilet Humor: Though not used that often, when it is used, it's HUGE.
- Too Dumb to Live: Ash.
- Turtle Island: Ash's Torterra, Red's Blastoise, and RM's Torterra.
- Unstoppable Rage: When June gets mad.
- Also, Sailor Pikachu when she's mad and/or hasn't had her coffee.
- Do NOT touch RM's hat.
- Verbal Tic: Snap can't say two sentances without, "bucko".
- Literally. If he says three sentences without "bucko," the world ends.
- RM's Friend, if he's not reading, usually ends his sentences with "muahahaha..."
- Victim of the Week: When Larry and Cilan are setting up for Baloney's funeral in the yard of the Mansion, Ash implies that this is a regular, albeit annoying, occurrence.
- Who Names Their Kid "Dude"?: Brock's Cousin. His name is Brock's Cousin. And Brock's grandpa is apparently named "Grandpa Harrison."
- Yaoi Fangirl: Apparently Gretchen, who doubles as a Yuri Fan.
- Sailor Pikachu (the REAL Sailor Pikachu) ships Rudy and Snap, which is why they are yaoi in the fanfic.
- Ye Olde Butcherede Englishe: A huge amount in episode 43.
- It seems to be blended with a stereotypical British way of speaking, though.
- Honestly, this sentence seems out of place: "We hath brought Your Majesty smokes!"