Characters: Sister Claire
Characters in Sister Claire
open/close all folders
The heroine of the story, a orphan who was left on the doorstep of the Sister of Mercy chapel and raised by Sister Catharine. Though she tries to fit in with the other nuns, she feels horribly out of place. That all changes one particular night as she's using the can and gets an unexpected visitor.
- Chosen One: Picked to be the next mother of Christ long before she was even born apparently.
- Desperately Looking for a Purpose in Life: At the beginning of the comic.
- Doorstop Baby / Conveniently an Orphan
- Holy Child: She once managed to purify a Shard, the setting's equivalent of a demon.
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: Indeed, she seems to attract them without even trying though the story hints this isn't coincidence.
- Legacy Character: Her full name, Clementine, is shared with Catherine's younger sister, the Witch Queen.
- Meaningful Name: Claire means "bright" as pointed out by Marguerite, who was the one who actually came up with the name. Given the implied connection between Claire and The Witch Queen, known to other witches as "The Bright One" this is telling.
- Mystical Pregnancy: Just like Mary from the Bible, she becomes pregnant through no sex whatsoever. What's more it's progressing at an alarming rate.
- Older Than They Look: According to Word Of G.O.D. she's around 18 to 20.
- Rapunzel Hair: She had this as a child, but it was cut short due to bullying since it looked similar to the Witch Queen.
- Reincarnation: Strongly implied to be one to the Witch Queen due to her red hair. The fact that it was Catherine who decided to raise and take care of her even adds more suspicion to it.
- Red-Headed Hero: A bit of a plot point too.
- Red-Headed Stepchild: When she was a child some of the other kids at the school bullied her because of her red hair due to the fact that a story they were told said that the Witch Queen had red hair as well.
- Took a Level in Badass: Starting with confronting Grimm with a holy watergun and later learning nun-fu. She also becomes much more assertive as the comic goes on.
- Wacky Cravings: Due to her pregnancy she seems to have gotten an odd taste for wood.
An angel who delivers the news to Claire that she will be the next mother of the holy one. Playful and supportive, she does her best to prepare her for the trials to come.
- Amazing Technicolor Population: Blue skinned
- Because Destiny Says So: Pretty much tells Claire its an order of God, no point in fighting it. Still she knows the hardships of whats to come down the line and tries her best to give a comforting hand to her.
- Big Damn Heroes: In one Missing Moment story, Oscar manages to summon her after Abraham sets fire to the Mercy abbey. She uses the water from the fountain to put out the fire. Though it drains her instantly and Oscar has to return her to the portal immediately.
- The Bus Came Back: Finally makes a return in the "Missing Moments" strips.
- Dynamic Entry: Makes coming from the crapper actually look beautiful.
- I Have Many Names: And forms apparently. She mentions to Margurite as she's rescuing her that her form can be whatever she wishes it to be.
- Mysterious Past: She seems to know Oscar before Catherine did (which is explained later in another Missing Moment story), as well as the fact that Claire was chosen to be the next mother of Christ. Plus mentions as she puts out the fire Abraham started that she recognizes the evil surrounding it. Everything is still rather vague however.
- Naked First Impression: How she met Clarie when she was younger. Her excuse being clothes, at the time, didn't transport well between portals. She had the same quirk when she was a Selkie.
- Our Angels Are Different: She wouldn't be out of place on Panty And Stocking (and this comic predated that show).
- Even more surprising she started off of a Selkie in her younger days. Somewhere along the way she was offered a job to work for Heaven which apparently changed her form. If she can still change back into a Selkie is unknown at the moment.
- Put on a Bus: She hasn't made an appearance in the main comic in a very long while.
- Rapunzel Hair: Has some rather lengthy blonde hair that stretches down her back.
- Selkies and Wereseals: Is (Or started out as) a Selkie who rescued a drowning Catherine.
- Sexy Mentor: Much to Claire's shock, having grown up in an abbey. This caused problems when she used to appear to a child Claire sans clothing.
- Spirit Advisor: Well she is an angel supposedly.
- We Have Reserves: Her bubble babies.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Catherine chews her out for introducing herself to a young Clarie naked. This wouldn't be so bad, except Clarie starts making drawings of her in that form and Catherine is rightly worried that this won't sit well with the other sisters if they see it.
Claire's guardian and maternal figure. She was the one who found Claire and raise her, thus both have a deep attachment to one another even though she's allergic to cats and Claire constantly stays in contact with them. However it seem there are some secrets she been hiding from both Claire and the Sisters of Mercy that have recently been coming to light. Secrets that seem to be connected to Claire.
- Ambiguously Human: Possibly, no confirmation however.
- Asexuality: Word of God confirms that Catherine is a romantic asexual, accounting for how she can still have a relationship with Oscar.
- Berserk Button: Hurting the ones she loves as Hanabi nearly found out the hard way after she mortally wounded Oscar.
- Any mention of the Witch Queen. She reacts...poorly when the healer notes Claire looks similar to her.
- Broken Bird: The Missing Moments show that when she first came to the abbey, she'd obviously been through some trauma and loss.
- Dark and Troubled Past: There have been hints, especially in the prequel comics, that show that Catharine hasn't had the easiest life. In fact she had two major tragedies before the main timeline. She and her sister were forcibly taken from her home by witches when they found they could do magic. The ship carrying them sunk mid-journey however and though she was saved by a selkie and Oscar. When she attempted to track where the ship had crashed in hopes of locating her sister. She only found blood stains unaware her sister wasn't too far from their location, but too weak to call out and apparently died. And her sister's name was Clementine, who was confirmed to have been the Witch Queen, and her death scarred Catharine.
- Dead Little Sister: Clementine, aka the Witch Queen.
- Grossup Closeup: Yeah it isn't pretty when she breaks out.
- Healing Hands: A power of hers she first displays in the Missing Moments story, she can take in the pain of others to heal them, but it transfers onto herself as a result. It nearly killed her when she used it to heal a mortally wounded Oscar after Hanabi attacked her.
- Losing a Shoe in the Struggle: Or rather left them behind when she fled the abbey with Claire, she's barefoot for most of their journey until they eventually run into a healer who gives them new clothes.
- Mama Bear: The Missing Moments segments show she can be one such as when Gabrielle first introduced herself to Clarie when she was a child.
- Official Couple: With Oscar
- Parental Substitute: Just as good as any mother to Claire.
- Plot Allergy: Allergic to cats which is the only negative in her relationship to Claire. And considering her connection with Grimm, their might be a deeper reason for it.
- Punny Name: Sister Catharine. May be counted as Foreshadowing once you consider her relationship with Grimm.
- Rescue Romance: How her relationship with Oscar started when she saved her from drowning and nursed her back to health.
- Sanity Slippage: Whatever affecting her is messing with her demeanor and is only getting worse during the travels. Somehow she's drowning in her own mind. Claire has to eventually dive into her mindscape to save her.
- Tsurime: Further emphasizing her relation to cats.
A.K.A Evil Cat. The evil Cheshire looking cat that seems to be stalking Claire. Catharine did a ritual which somehow enables it to posses her body. It wants Claire for some reason, but for what hasn't been revealed yet.
A cat that Claire has taken in.
- Beauty Equals Goodness: After Clarie purifies its Shard form, it comes back as a white kitten.
- Heel-Face Turn: Was once a Shard monster that Claire managed to purify when she was little.
- Nonhuman Sidekick: Considering how often it hangs around Clarie and is usually the one leading the other cats.
- Team Pet: To Claire Which isn't surprising, given their past.
Sisters of Mercy
The abbey where Claire was raised, run by quirky bunch of nuns who specialize in various combat due to a majority being monsters hunters following the witch wars and having passed down their abilities to others
A very strict nun of the Sisters of Mercy. Enjoys punishing Claire for any minor offenses.
- Amazing Technicolor Population: Green-skinned least when her energia's being blocked. It becomes normal when it's not. Oddly she never had this in stories dealing with the past, so it's a recent development.
- Determinator: In a Missing Moment story, after Abraham locks her inside the abbey and tries to burn it down. She stays with the comatose Catherine (weakened after using her magic to save Oscar following the Hanabi incident) amidst the flames and sings a calming song despite knowing they'll likely die.
- Fan Disservice: Ugh! Seriously, Yamino?!
- Glowing Eyes: When summoning the mecha.
- Jerkass: Same as above. Her personality turns a 180 after her energia is unblocked.
- Interestingly, the storyline for Sister Claire's past shows that while Marguerite was still not exactly cuddly back then, she did get along pretty well with little Claire. Among other things, she looked after her with some kindness when Catherine was ill, apologized for frightening her when having a panic attack over a fire, and sincerely thanks Claire for bringing her tea.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: It becomes more obvious she has some more depths to her given her past. There's also the fact that something is possibly affecting her mind.
- Playing with Syringes: We see her first interaction with Claire sticking her with needle full of laxatives as punishment for playing with cats. Again.
- Secret Keeper: The Missing Moments imply she either knows or at least suspects a connection between Claire and the Witch Queen, Clementine since she met the latter and was the one who suggested Claire's name, which means "bright" tying directly to the Queen's title of "the bright one" among witches.
- Sink-or-Swim Mentor: She's the one who trained Catharine.
- Summon Magic: Her power is connected to a mecha that was given to the search party by Mother Superior. The problem however is that she needs to keep her emotions in check otherwise it'll run rampant.
- Took a Level in Kindness: Only when her energia being blocked.
- Torture Technician: She really loves her job.
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Deathly afraid of fire due to almost being burned alive by Sister Abraham.
The head sister or "Mother Superior" of the Sisters of Mercy. A short, fairly rational minded elderly nun.
One of the teachers of the covenant. She's the one that trains Claire in the art of Nun-Fu.
- Broken Bird: Along with her Dark and Troubled Past below. Her time staying with the Helsing Branch likewise wasn't kind to her.
- Dark and Troubled Past: During her apprentice days, her mentor was killed and eaten by wolf witches after saving her while she looked on helpless to do anything. She vowed from then on to not let something like that happen again.
- Deadpan Snarker: In her less serious moments, she's this.
- Heroic RROD: Her Hulking Out power is useful against monsters but, along with affecting her judgement, it puts a toll on her body's muscles including her heart. Meaning she can only use it in short bursts.
- He Who Fights Monsters/Knight Templar: Her hatred of witches has some unfortunate layers. Though it's revealed in Missing Moments, she's a transfer from the Helsing group of nuns who're infamous for this behavior.
- Hulking Out: Can use a special technique to make her herself much more muscle-y, giving he a power boost.
- Massively Numbered Siblings: The sole sister to six brothers.
- Reality Ensues: Turns out Hulking Out like that leaves her with some wicked stretch marks.
- Scars Are Forever: Has a few on her left eye, as well as all over her body.
- Secret Relationship: With Jackson. The other nuns always knew though, but apparently Olga wasn't aware of it until Azi brought it to light. Making it even more funny, Azi had just met the group and could tell from first sight.
- Sink-or-Swim Mentor: As mentioned, she put Claire through rigorous training to toughen her up.
- Token Good Teammate: Within the Helsing group. She mentions they often belittled her for not going along with their methods and deem her as weak.
- Tsundere: Is becoming one as the story goes.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Gets called out for her unnecessary force by Sister Jackson and Yolanda.
- With Great Power Comes Great Insanity: A side effect of her power-up. The longer she stays within it, the more it affects her judgement that she'll start attacking both friend and foe.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: She wants to protect people, but is a tad overzealous in trying to fight evil that it often clouds her sense of right and wrong.
- Your Days Are Numbered: At some point while tracking Claire's group. She's poisoned which is slowly killing her. It eventually takes it's toll rendering her unable to walk and Marguerite states she only has hours left. Azi manages to partly cure her of the poison, though needs additional help to help Olga walk again.
Rosalie and Marie
Two twin sisters who've were at the abbey long before Claire joined.
- Ascended Extra: According to Yamino, they started as a one-panel sight gag, but over time their role grew to what it is now.
- Big Damn Heroes: Oh yeah
- Bishie Sparkle: They apparently picked it up from Sister Oscar. It's a family trait, apparently.
- Cool Shades: When they go into action.
- Identical Twin ID Tag: The two of them are technically identical, but have a number of differences that allow them to be told apart.
- Jumped at the Call: When offered to come with Claire and Catharine, they didn't even need to think about it before saying yes.
- Long Hair Is Feminine: Much to the surprise of Claire as nuns usually keep their hair short and consider long hair a sin of vanity.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Rosalie's the red, Marie's the blue. This pic does a good job of showcasing it nicely. This one shows off some other differences.
- Single-Minded Twins: Somewhat, they're usually seen together most of the time and on the same mindset. But do occasionally bicker now and then.
- Something about a Rose: A motif of theirs.
- Too Dumb to Live: Well not often but they can be rather gung-ho most of the time. When they confront Catharine about her secret she hiding and that she was lying during her witch trial. Catharine asks how they knew this. Rosalie is quick to clam up and drop the issue but Marie blurts out they could tell from her aura, giving the twin's secret power away.
- Twin Telepathy: An ability they developed over time. However they prefer to keep it secret as such ability would be considered witchcraft in their covenant.
- Turns out it is witchcraft albeit ones they developed subconsciously.
- Valley Girl: Marie tends to talk and act like this.
Another one of Sisters of Mercy. She seem to be the most normal sisters among the bunch.
- Berserk Button: Hurting anyone she loves especially if it's Olga.
- Dance Battler: Illustrations from Yamino's Tumblr seem to suggest this.
- Funny Afro: What she's hiding under her habit.
- Power Makes Your Hair Grow: Apparently. When Azi seemingly attacked Olga, her afro suddenly poofed up and made her hair much more wild. A Missing Moments story confirms this as in the past, after an argument with Olga, her unrestrained power caused her hair to frizz This is due to being part witch herself.
- Reasonable Authority Figure / Technical Pacifist: She's willing to talk a situation down before going into action.
- Sarashi: Uses the bra version.
- Secret Relationship: With Olga. Course the other nuns catch on pretty quickly but say nothing out of respect for them.
- The Leader: Of the search party tracking Claire's group.
- The Reveal: Part witch on her mother's side. In her case, a Weatherwitch, which would explain why her hair poofs up with electricity when under distress. However her mother was part of the peaceful fraction.
- Took a Level in Badass: In the Missing Moment story After both the visit from Hanabi and Abraham and nearly losing loved ones and the abbey. She goes to train under Yolanda so she'll be able to protect her home.
- Token Minority: The only black nun in the covenant though her aunt was among the refugees staying near there.
Another teacher and nun. Mentor and Parental figure to Rosalie and Marie.
A group of nuns that take their monster hunting a bit too seriously
. Olga was a member with them before transferring to the Sisters of Mercy.
One of the Helsing nuns, known for being excessively violent in her pursuit of witchcraft.
- Expy: Based on a combination of Jonah Hex and Van Helsing.
- Body Horror: The right side of her face.
- Kill It with Fire: Her favored method of dealing with witches.
- Knight Templar: A very hardcore one. She's dead set on "purging" evil which to her is anyone with the potential to become witches even if they have no malicious intent. Case in point she burned down a fellow abbey just because she heard there were people who could use magic within it. Despite the fact that there were kids staying there. No wonder Olga and Jackson dread her.
- Hanging Judge: Her introduction panel even showcased her prepping some gallows.
- Lack of Empathy: Even if she is trying to get witches, she won't hesitate to kill innocents or sympathizers in pursuit of her targets.
- Love Is a Weakness: Firmly believes this and while she doesn't express often, she mocks Olga for this reason.
- My Significance Sense Is Tingling: Has very high energia (basically this world's equivalent of ki) that she sensed the conflict with Hanabi from miles away.
- Would Hurt a Child: Yes, even children won't be spared from her if they can use magick.
natural enemies within this comic's world. They were beaten back following a war but some are still out there in hiding. A few are neutral and just wish to live in peace but of course there are others who either have a grudge against monster hunters (not without justification considering many of their homes were destroyed by them) or are still doing their evil practices.
A seemingly normal bar worker that a few of the tracking Sisters of Mercy encounter. It turns out he's a Wolf Witch.
- Berserk Button: Don't touch his dog. Also nuns, especially if they're monster hunters.
- Broken Bird: Even worse then Olga, he saw his whole clan killed by nuns when he was nothing but a pup and can't even stand the sight of them without remembering that day. This becomes a problem when his adopted father questions if he wants to go to the city which is full of nuns. Lupo tries to save face and claim he can handle it. Barely a week passes before he starts having anxiety attacks.
- Butt Monkey: Nothing ever goes right for Lupo.
- Happily Adopted: Played with. His clan was wiped out by Witch Hunters, and he was taken in by another clan. But while the clan leaders see,treat,and love him like their own son, his bullying "sister" Azi makes it her business to make him feel inferior and constantly tell him that they aren't really his family. Subverted later as she does love him, just has a rough way of showing it.
- In the Hood: In his Witch outfit.
- Leeroy Jenkins: His over-zealousness revealed that the Wolf Witches clan was still alive to the nuns, which forced his pack to relocate. To add insult to injury, his pack was a peaceful division of Wolf Witches. So he wound up putting his whole family in danger for a petty grudge which the leaders rightly chastise him for.
- Shout-Out: His design, both physically and clothing-wise, is a deliberate reference to Ezio from Assassins Creed II
- Talk To The Foot: When he reveals himself to the currently fleeing foursome of Claire, Cat and the Twins, he gets a swift boot to the sternum.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: Subverted in his case, he has the power to transform into a wolf. But due to past trauma, can't really control it and its sporadic at best.
Lupo's sister. Likeiwse a Wolf Witch
- Aww, Look! They Really Do Love Each Other: Despite how she acted before, she's actually horrified when the nuns tell her the gigantic Shard they just saw could be attracted to Claire's group. And then remembers that Lupo was suppose to track them. A Missing Moments story focusing on their past shows that, while she's brash, loved to insult him and got into fights (then again remember these are wolves and roughhousing is a common trait for them) deep down she really does care for him.
- Deal with the Devil: Offers to heal Olga from the poison slowly killing her. But in exchange she must not hunt Wolf Witches ever again or she'll turn into what she fears most.
- Does Not Like Shoes: Not that most of her clan wears them too.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Always seems itching for a fight and nearly pummeled Lupo over an accidental scratch during their arguing.
- In the Hood: A red one.
- Jerkass: Constantly puts down Lupo and keeps reminds him that he's an outsider in their clan (though Subverted later as she does love him, just has a rough way of showing it). Her introduction to the search party nuns likewise wasn't the most subtle of entrances considering her leaders (i.e mother and father) specifically told her to find and protect them.
- In the Hood: In his Witch outfit..
- Jerkass Has a Point: She points out it was Lupo's fault that the clan was forced to relocate due to his need for vengeance. She also chastises him that he should have took into consideration his family as well before doing the act.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting : A trait of the wolf witches which allow her to change into a normal and hybrid wolf forms.
A witch introduced in a Missing Moments
story. She's the first one who noticed Rosalie and Marie ability to use magic and attempted to take them away from the nuns.
- Affably Evil: Debatable on the evil part but she does starts off well mannered and speaking nicely to the nuns when she comes across the abby But after finding out the twins can use magic, tries to take them by force rather then talking it out with the nuns. Even when Oscar pleas with them, she refuses and knocks her away.
- Eerie Pale-Skinned Brunette: Fitting considering she's a witch.
- For Your Own Good: She claims the nuns will eventually turn on the twins when they find out they have magic or teach them that witches are bad, hence why she should take them away. Oscar argues to the contrary but Hanabi refuses to relent. It's only until speaking with Catherine does she finally agree and that's only because she's a fellow witch.
- Green Thumb: Seems to specialize in plant magic.
- Hair Decorations: A head band with a antler sticking out of it it apparently belonged to the Witch Queen.
- Hypocrite: Arguing that taking the twins away will prevent the nuns from proclaiming witches are evil. Yet is exactly proving the nuns right by forcibly kidnapping the twins from Oscar who considers them her daughters then nearly killing Oscar when she tries to stop them. What's more this isn't even the first time it happened as Catherine herself can attest.
- In the Hood: Noticing a pattern here? In this case A purple cloak◊
- Jerkass Has a Point: Uses a claim that magical children are in danger at the abbeys as one of the reasons for taking the twins away. Turns out that she was entirely correct with that one.
- Oh, Crap: Gets this reaction when she realizes Oscar is a loved one of Catherine and the latter isn't pleased that she nearly killed her. To the point Catherine levitates the horn at Hanabi's throat and tells her to leave or else.
- What the Hell, Hero?: From a certain point of view Catherine states the Witch Queen just wanted peace for both her kind and the nuns. What Hanabi's doing is the exact opposite.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: She's just trying to look after her own kind but seems unwilling to compromise with anyone who isn't a witch and starchily believes all nuns will kill them without remorse. This is rather ironic when it's revealed later that many of the Sisters of Mercy can likewise use magic. She does have a point about the twins being in danger when it's revealed that the Helsing Sister Abraham had burned down an abbey with magick children.
The Witch Queen
The leader of the witch faction during the rebellion, who was killed just before the end of the war. Very little has been revealed about her so far, other than she and Catherine
are connected somehow. It's been confirmed that her real name was Clementine, and that she was Catherine's younger sister
- A Child Shall Lead Them: Implied to have been younger than Claire, who was eighteen at the start of the comics.
- Big Bad: According to the nuns....
- Big Good: ...However, the witches think of her reverentially, with Hanabi calling her 'The Bright One.'
- Dead Little Sister: Is this for Catherine.
- Evil Redhead: Apparently had bright, long red hair and horns, which gave her the nickname of 'Witchdevil' among the nuns.
- Horned Humanoid: She had horns (Or antlers more accurately), and Hanabi wound up with a piece of one of them after she was killed.
- Not Evil, Just Misunderstood: In the Missing Moments comics, Catherine states that all she ever wanted was peace between witches and nuns. Most of the nuns don't seem to share her opinion, if Hanabi is to be believed.
- Posthumous Character: What with her being dead before the start of the series.
- The Promised Land: She helped to found Eden, a refuge for Witches during the war.
- Regal Ringlets: The cover of chapter 6 shows her with these.
Characters that don't have any alignment with a group. Most of these are from the Missing Moment
Gabrielle's friend, a lizard merman. They seem to have some history together.
Oscar's caretaker during her childhood days.
- Affectionate Nickname: Maman
- Berserk Button: She may run a brothel but mostly to help the downtrodden of the city. Genevieve really hits a sore spot when she sounds like she disapproves of such people.
- Hooker with a Heart of Gold: She, well, ran a brothel back in the heyday. It also turned out to be a safehouse for witches as well as the city it was based in not surprisingly were hard on them.
- Mama Bear: Oh Yes, she won't let anyone talk bad about her clients and occupants.
- Parental Substitute: Towards Oscar and Catherine when they were children.
- Posthumous Character: Possibly, considering stories that feature her take place in the past.
- Sassy Black Woman: Hard to say, but she certainly acts the part.
One of the local nuns around Thronum Mare
. Friendly with Oscar when she was a kid.
- Hypocrite: She argues of her disapproval of the occupants of Sabrine's building, until Sabrine reveals Genevieve herself used to live there.
- Meganekko: Seen wearing glasses.
- Not What It Looks Like: Well Oscar could've worded it better, but Genevieve instantly assumes the worst when Oscar tells her that Catherine has been sleeping in her room. Oscar meant as emotional support obviously, not...yeah.
- Posthumous Character: As with Sabrine, she shows up in Oscar's childhood stories.
- That Came Out Wrong: She means well but her wording while arguing with Sabrine starts to hit some personal levels.
- Think of the Children!: Naturally she doesn't really approve of Oscar living in a brothel nor what she considers Oscar's gender confusion. As such, Sabrine and she have been butting heads for awhile over the issue.