Characters: Charybdis Academy
aka: Eerie Cuties
A partial character list for Eerie Cuties
. See also:
open/close all folders
The main character (sort of). A young vampire born on Easter, she feeds on chocolate instead of blood.
- Hidden Eyes: In this strip which, along with her gaping mouth and protruding fangs, indicate something's wrong with her.
- Incorruptible Pure Pureness: Chloe, and possibly others, seems to see Nina as this, though there are hints that there is something darker within (Sisterly Love arc). Other characters have acted to shield her from darker, or at least more mature, things.
- According to demonically-empowered Chloe, Nina exudes an aura of pure innocence. Due to being a succubus, Chloe is compelled to corrupt her, but the fact that Nina is so very innocent, combined with the fact that they were pretty good friends before Chloe became demonically-empowered, causes her to have a bad reaction.
- It's All About Me: When she discovered that Brooke was dating Ace, her immediate response was "I thought you were my friend!" and running off crying, calling Ace her "special puppy" despite Ace never having shown romantic interest in her. The kicker? She did all this while possessing Laura's height, which was stolen from her by Tia, after having promised she would give it back after a few minutes. It only gets worse from there. After everyone got shrunk down due to Tia's machinations. Nina seems to be completely unconcerned since it allows her to play with everyone as if they were dolls (though they might have allowed it so she could have an awesome birthday).
Nina's older sister, who's determined to make her into a proper vampire by getting her to drink blood.
- Engineered Public Confession: When Doompany-possessed Chloe nearly devours Kade's soul, Layla's jealous side comes out and tells her "Get...Get your stinking claws off my boyfriend!!" Only thing was...this was in front of the whole school...and her then-fiance, Dio (which results in Layla's engagement being voided, part of Chloe's plan.).
- Femme Fatale / Fille Fatale: Tries to be this.
- Have I Mentioned I Am Heterosexual Today?: After being Mistaken for Gay, she often finds the need to insist that she's not a lesbian.
- Ice Queen: She's even referred to as such by Melissa and Cessily (seen in the Alpha Bitch entry).
- Jerkass: She's self-centered, haughty and rude to pretty much everyone.
- Laser-Guided Karma: Layla falls victim to this repeatedly.
- During the Chloe-zombie scare, she was preapared to ditch Chloe and the others, believing it was "their problem", but forgot she was covered in Chloe's pheromones too and wound up eating her words. Whoops.
- Later, at Nina's slumber party, she volunteers Ace and Brooke for surprise makeovers. Brooke pays her back on the next page and the resulting catfight lands her in hot water with her mother.
- Oh and the liquor she pilfered from her dad's stash? She tricks Nina into drinking it, causing her to become sick and throw up. Guess who winds up on cleaning duty?
- And, during the Magick Chicks crossover, she agrees to go with Faith, back to her home, thinking she'd get bite, and almost ends up paying for it with her life. Good thing Tiffany showed up.
- Ms. Fanservice: Often without even trying, but she deliberately invokes it whenever she wants Kade to do something for her.
- Oblivious To Hints: As a part of her general obliviousness. When her mom tried to let slip the Arranged Marriage business, she was dead set on immediately clearing the miscommunication which no one else had seen as a big deal. And during the Doompanties incident, Chloe had to spell out exactly what just happened after setting her up.
- Proud Beauty: Layla's got it going on, she knows it, and won't hesitate to use her looks or her charms to get what she wants.
- Ship Tease: With Brooke and Tiffany.
- "Shut Up" Kiss: She invokes this at the end of the "War Dance" arc, when she finally makes up with Kade. Which segues into a Big Damn Kiss.
- Tempting Fate: She's set her human friend, Tiffany, up on a date with her vampire ex, Dio, has a Catapult Nightmare after realizing what she's done, then asks the inevitable question.
- It happens again, during the "Art Scholarship" interlude strips, when she tells Melissa she has no chance of Brooke choosing her as the subject of her painting, versus her curvy perfection. Since Mel couldn't think of a comeback, she zaps Layla with a spell, to take away her boobs! Melissa gives 'em back though... begrudgingly.
- The Nicknamer: She has one for each of the main cast:
- Tsundere: Layla has shades of it, as seen, here, when Kade reminds her of what she said at Chloe's party.
A succubus, who considers herself to be ugly by succubus standards (though she acknowledges that she's pretty by human standards), despite her many admirers. Much to the surprise of readers, she now has her own webcomic Spin-Off
— Dangerously Chloe
. See that character page for her entry.
. She can turn into a snake monster, but resents her monster form and tries to hide it. Generally laid-back and cool, but confused and shy when it comes to romance.
- A-Cup Angst: a mild case, but it's there.
- Actually Pretty Funny: When she accuses Ace of being a skirt chaser, he replies she's never worn a skirt besides the one with her uniform. After a moment's thought, she had to admit he had a point.
- Bi the Way: She's attracted to Layla (albeit begrudgingly) and she's been dating Ace on-again/off-again.
- As seen in the Distracted by My Own Sexy entry below.
Oh noes! Blair turned Brooke into a boy, too! Brooke:
I'm...I'm still a girl. Nin
ao: (lifting Brooke's skirt)
No, you're n— oh wait, yes, you are. *SLAP!*
- Seems to happen often enough to her.
- Hinted at, when a drunk Chloe snuggles up to Brooke in lieu of a boy.
- Dialed up quite a bit here.
- Black Eyes of Evil: Whenever she scales up.
- Boyish Short Hair: As befitting her personality and her temperament. And so long as no one does anything to piss her off, she'll stay that way... Oh hi, Ash!
- Covert Pervert: She's just looking for "evidence". Honest.
- Deadpan Snarker: See for yourself.
- Distracted by My Own Sexy: Brooke was totally checking herself out in Ace's old uniform.
- Feather Boa Constrictor: She almost always wears her pet snake, Seth around her neck.
- Foil: To Layla, as seen in the Deadpan Snarker entry.
- Girlish Pigtails: Brooke wore her hair like that when she was a little girl, as shown in flashbacks.
- Homoerotic Subtext: In moments like these with Layla.
- Hulking Out: When Ash pushed her one step too far, she went snake-girl on him.
- My God, What Have I Done?: After Cute Witch Magical Girl Melissa snaps her out of her feral melusine mindset, she suddenly realizes her sparring partner Ash, who'd goaded her into "going all-out" isn't breathing. This causes a major guilt-and-panic double attack with Brooke.
- Only Sane Man: There's Cloudcuckoolander Nina, Jerkass Layla, The Casanova Kade, Guy Magnet Chloe and Gender Bended Ace. And then there's Brooke.
- Punny Name: Say it fast.
- Scaled Up: Her melusine form is a snake-girl. One with a LONG body and coiling ability. When her eyes go from human to snake, it might not end well. Usually caused by getting her mad.
- She Cleans Up Nicely: despite all the jokes about Brooke looking like a boy, and her tomboyish behavior, she's defintely all woman... when she tries.
- Ship Tease: with Layla and Ace!
. He's Layla's boyfriend, and the object of Nina and Brooke's
- Male Gaze: Was previously stated to have a cute butt as a boy. It carried over.
- Mismatched Eyes: It's not apparent except in the colored comics, but one of his eyes is blue and the other one yellow/amber. As it happens, heterochromia is a common trait among real-life cats.
- Nice Guy: He's a friendly fellow. While transformed, became a walking headache, but once the curse was removed, he's back to his old self, all over Layla and ignoring her tsundere-ish hissing.
- Something Else Also Rises: We don't normally see his cat ears, but...
- The Mind Is a Plaything of the Body: In addition to acting a lot like a Clingy Jealous Girl in the grips of Love Makes You Dumb concerning Layla, Kade becomes quite a bit bitchier in female form, acting like a completely inconsiderate Jerk Ass to Melissa and starting to get distracted by the first attractive guy to walk by. Maybe got a little too far into Vapid Valley Girl mode or "catfight" part mixed badly with his cat side, or something.
A werewolf, and Nina's unwilling friend. Had an extended period of time as a girl following the artifact incident but has since reverted.
- Butt Monkey:
- Always seemed to get the short end of the stick ever since he met Nina. Even when the first met boy passing by was going to become a lab rat for Wilhelmina's demonstration, it just had to be him.
- Though since his recovery from the Orb, life seems to have picked up for him a bit, to the point that he and Brooke seem to have hooked up successfully (also, the bonus feature in the print edition).
- Then Tia removes these improvements and reverts him back to his old self to spite Brooke.
- CPR (Clean, Pretty, Reliable): When Mel (who doesn't know how to do CPR) or Brooke (who doesn't have lips) can't do this for a not-breathing Ash, Ace must.
- Deadpan Snarker: Occasionally, usually in regard to Layla.
- Embarrassing Nickname: Nina calls him "Puppy!".
- Extreme Doormat: He tries, but he can't seem to stick up for himself. The one time he tried, Layla shut him down instantly.
- Fan Nickname: After he was turned into a girl, some fans called him Grace.
- Gender Bender: For almost half the strip by the time it's reversed.
- Fanservice Pack:
- Nice Guy
- No Periods, Period: Averted by girl Ace here.
- The Mind Is a Plaything of the Body:
- After becoming a girl, he is not only attracted to boys, but also wants to "go to the mall and buy cute outfits and stuff".
Professor Twigitt: I've never had those urges. That's just you.
- His girl-side is attracted to Ash when Ace must give him CPR.
Girl Ace: EEE! He's such a cutie!
Boy Ace: Sh-shut up, girl-me!
- Stupid Sexy Flanders: Apparently, being stuck as a girl for a while left behind some side effects.
- Your Cheating Heart: Mel played him so he'd go out with her, and he and fell for it in an attempt to make it up to her. The inevitable misunderstanding and the blow up that eventually resulted between him and Brooke, lead to what may have been several dates with Melissa. In the end, the real cause was a combination of Melissa's manipulations and the confidence boost Tia had given him. Tia removed it along with the leftover magic in Ace's body, causing him to revert to his original form from the start of the comic.
Nina's doll, possessed by the spirit of a man; absolutely shameless pervert.
- Hidden Depths: There seems to be more going on than first thought. Why he suddenly has this dark scene has led to a lot of WMGing.
- The Not Secret: Just about everybody knows his so-called "carefully hidden" weakness. So much so, that Twiggit, Chloe, and Layla have all exploited it at different points.
- Panty Thief: As if his character image doesn't make it obvious enough.
- Running Gag: Blair's habit of either saying, or doing, something to annoy others, then getting punt-kicked for it.
- Spanner in the Works / Wild Card: Blair has two cases of these which stand out. In both he showed he didn't mind interfering with the plans of others if it helped his goals or even jeopardized the good thing he had in the process.
- He stole the Orb Of Tiresias from the Hellrune Coven to put the whole school into a major gender-bending fiasco that almost turned the school into his own paradise of blonde buxom bimbos, even Nina, who loved him.
- When told the Doompanties were the rarest panties in the universe, he stole them off of Chloe, not caring if he lost the Heaven he was in with her. Or that he'd be locked in the box with them for a very very long time.
- Unwitting Instigator of Doom: Chapter 14 has him as one. Tia boosts a magick on Blair that shrinks anyone he touches into Blair's size. Unfortunately, while she's collecting the smaller characters, she grabs Blair as well—and suffers the same fate.
The Hellrune Coven
Cess and Laura
Cessily (Cess) and Laura
A pair of minor antagonists
, who aspire to become 'queen bees' by overthrowing Layla, but their "plans"
usually backfire. As of Vol.4, they've become friends with Nina, and seem to be on good terms with Layla.
- Alpha Bitch: More wannabees than queen bees, but they are trying to get there.
- Because She Was Nice to Us: Nina befriended Laura to cheer her up, after she and Cessily split up. By the end of chapter 13, when Laura returns to normal, she thanks Nina for her kindness. Which results in Cessily & Laura becoming friends witn her.
- Breast Expansion / Gag Boobs: Recently, both girls were given breasts by Chloe about the same size as Chloe had before she reduced them thanks to the Doompanties. This was to get some A-list students to come to Chloe's in-school party when the two girls invited them.
- Character Development: They began as a pair of minor antagonists, toward Layla. Their friendship was briefly severed by Tia's manipulation, but they've made up and have seemingly made a change for the better. In Vol.4, it's revealed that they've both become friends with Nina.
- Heel-Face Turn: Following the events of chapter 13.
- Have I Mentioned I Am Sexually Active Today?: Needless to say, neither of them are.
- Ineffectual Sympathetic Villains: They usually foil themselves, often because their plans are either poorly thought out, or just plain weird.
- Those Two Girls: With the emphasis on "two". The others are so used to seeing them together, that Brooke failed to recognize Laura when she saw her without Cessily!
- Villainous Friendship: Type I. Despite their hangups, they're virtually inseparable and care about each other.
- Childhood Friends: According to Cessily, they've known each other since they were kids.
- Zany Scheme: Cess has got a million of 'em, and Laura usually goes along with them - including one that was gonna involve paint, an exploding bra, and Laura in a mascot costume (don't ask). They never work.
A Snow Fairy.
- An Ice Person
- Buxom Is Better: She seems more comfortable with having bigger breasts thanks to Tia now than she did when Chloe did it earlier.
- Inelegant Blubbering: After turning Laura away initially, Cess sees the now-shorter Laura in her Loli-outfit. Seeing this reminds Cess how Laura looked as a kid...and this causes Cess to tear up and hug Laura tightly to her bosom, wailing "I missed you SO muuuuuuch!"
- Laser-Guided Karma: She talked about having Chloe's E-cup breasts done in school colors, then rigging Chloe's bra to pop open and flash the football team. Cess is shocked when they see Chloe with smaller breasts (Chloe was tired of having to lug around those massive breasts). Eventually, Cess and Laura both get E-cups of their own thanks to Chloe, and Cess realizes how heavy they were.
- And another piece of it when after she'd gotten used to them, they left once the Doompanties were sealed back in their box.
- Only Sane Man: Much more sensible than Laura.
- Voluntary Shapeshifter: Cess can change her hand and part of her arm to be an ice-based hammer to knock some sense into Laura when she thinks Cess should dye her hair red. Later made a lockpick icicle on her finger.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
A fire ifrit.
- Burning with Anger: Her temper causes Power Incontinence for her.
- Butt Monkey: Has run into a lot of misfortune as of late. She loses her breasts thanks to Tia, Cessily leaves her when she thinks Laura was manipulating her as per her species (once again thanks to Tia). And when Nina tries to help her, yet another run in with Tia results in her losing her height. But she might be having a means to deal with it (see Idea Bulb).
- Buxom Is Better:
- She was happy with her new breasts. Until she lost them when the Doompanties were relocked into their box.
- Again when Tia briefly gave them back—then turned around to endow them to Cessily. She was told the only way to GET them back was for Cessily to give them to Laura willingly. And shortly afterwards Tia grabs Cess before Laura can do that.
- Cuteness Proximity: Laura's plan for getting back at Tia was to be the cutest, most adorable 'lil moeblob ever. It worked.
- The Ditz
- Obfuscating Stupidity: Once out of Cess and Evil Chloe's influence, she challenges Tia on a "cute with cute" field and uses her ditziness to cover this up (and have Tia think this extra ditziness might have been a result of her stealing the height and curves from Laura).
- Dumb Blonde: Previously until Tia did her nastiness to Laura. Then...
- Fun Size: Tia takes away Laura's height and gives it to Nina. However, this makes Laura realize she looks adorable—and realize she can challenge Tia on "adorability" now. Going to "The Trendy Loli," Laura uses this to win over everyone, and even use her "aura of innocence" to hurt Tia with a hug (as it "Burns" Tia in doing so).
- Obfuscating Insanity: Tia initially thinks Laura's lost it. However, this is Laura trying to go "full Lolita" to give enough cred to her own plan to take on Tia.
- Playing with Fire
- Puppy-Dog Eyes: Uses this on Mr. Purvis to convince him not to punish her due to her non-uniform attire (she also adds that her uniforms don't fit her anymore given her height was taken away by Tia).
- Spanner in the Works: Tia Darkness claims that this is an ifrit's nature, using it to drive a wedge between Cessily and Laura by pointing out the latter can't HELP but mess up the former's plans. When Laura finally realizes that she can put this to use against ''Tia,'' Tia's machinations begin to collapse hard.
An adorable very young dark-haired demoness (succubus?). Appeared when Cessily, Laura and Nina tried to summon Chloe back and immediately began to show who's the boss. Seems to be a competent magic user.
- Tsurime Eyes: Seen in the accompanying folder picture above.
- Villainous Breakdown: Here.
- Weaksauce Weakness:
- Happiness and kindness seems to literally hurt her; enough that she almost faded from existence.
- Even seeing Laura, Cess and Nina happy nauseates her, "This...this can't be happening..."
Queen Lamia Asra-pa Quintessa and Mr. Boodles
A vampire queen and her cat. Lived a long time before the story starts. Ace and Nina have to do a report on her.
Nina and Layla's mother. She's apparently had 13 children. Not the loner sort of a vampire - she prefers to keep some company around and is unhappy about her daughters being mostly absent, that is in school or asleep.
- Absurdly Youthful Mother: Justified, since she's a vampire.
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parents: As either sister will happily tell you. See Lesbian Vampire and Too Much Information.
- Lesbian Vampire: Not exactly, but she apparently went through a "phase" with Adora Love, who happens to be Chloe's mom. This causes her to be very... friendly... towards Chloe.
Maria: Of course! Adora Love's daughter!
Chloe: You knew my mother?
Maria: We were schoolmates. Your mother had the... sweetest blood.
Chloe: ...h-how interesting, Mrs. Delacroix.
Maria: Please, call me Maria! <3
- Sexy Backless Outfit: Is fond of wearing those.
- Silk Hiding Steel: She's a nice and worldly lady who showers everyone with care and hospitality... and suddenly becomes firm and lays down the law when thinks it's really necessary.
- Too Much Information:
It's okay, girls! You're just going through a phase. I went through the same phase, myself. With Chloe's mother! Chloe:
Ohh! The things she would do to me...! They made me quiver
. Layla/Brooke/Chloe: [look Squicked out] Brooke: [covers Nina's ears] Nina:
The science teacher at Charybdis Heights and may, or may not
, be human.
- Open Minded Parent: When Ace goes to school as a boy and comes home as a girl...
Mr. Wolfhart: (Glomps Ace)
I've always wanted a daughter!
The Delacroix's housekeeper. It's unknown what
she is, just that she looks kinda like an owl and is creepy.
Tiffany's boss, at the mall.
- Bad Boss: Averted. Tiffany thinks she's bossy, when all Becky really wants, is for Tiff to do her job.
- Brainwashed: She gets subjected to this twice.
- The first was done by Layla, in order to get Becky off of Tiffany's back (and also give her a raise).
- It happened again, when Nina overdid it while in Layla's body, after succumbing to her first thirst for blood and enthralled her (under Blair's instruction) to wipe Becky's memory of it.
- Meganekko: She wears a simple pair of wire-rimmed specs.
- Ms. Fanservice: Blair used her to this end, while she was enthralled by Nina. This was also seen in one of the postcards that came with the collector's edition of Vol.1, which shows her in a string bikini with Blair resting his head between her breasts.
- Nerds Are Sexy: She's pretty cute, in a studious fashion, since she's usually in uniform. But, as seen in the Ms. Fanservice entry, when she takes it off... WOW!
- Only Sane Employee: Considering that she's working with Tiffany, it's to be expected.
- Arranged Marriage:
- Formerly, between him and Layla, but it was deep-sixed, when he learned she was in love with Kade. Except his father won't allow him to return home without one of the Delacroix sisters as his bride. So he's stuck hopelessly pusuing Layla.
- Then again, it may not be so hopeless after all. Though their roles have been reversed, with Layla having feelings for Dio, who's hooked up with Ash, thanks to Melissa's wand!
- Bishōnen: Certainly enough to make Layla forget about Kade.
- Bi the Way: Fell in love with Ash, due to Melissa's magic wand, but is still attracted to women sometimes.
- Fantastic Racism: He wastes no time in bragging to Ace how Vampires are the superior race, and tends to call him mutt or any related names.
- Flat Character: Fans have begun to regard him this way, due to a lack of characterization, compared to the rest of the cast.
- Laser-Guided Karma: After taunting a shrunken Kade, Kade tells him, "Why don't you come down here and say that to my face!" One POOF later, Dio's shrunk down too.
- Upper-Class Twit: He comes from a prestigious vampire family himself, and he's very full of himself.