Characters: Charybdis Academy
aka: Eerie Cuties
A partial character list for Eerie Cuties. See also:
open/close all folders
The main character (sort of). A young vampire born on Easter, she feeds on chocolate instead of blood.
- A-Cup Angst: For awhile, she was convinced that she needed boobs like her sister's for guys to be interested in her, but seems to have finally gotten over it.
- Ambiguous Disorder: Behaves in a very juvenile manner, and is just plain bizarre.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: In Layla's eyes.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: Nina is easily distracted by flowers, butterflies or Ace.
- Buxom Is Better: She believed that she needs bigger boobs to attract Kade.
- Can't Hold His Liquor: Justified, as she's only 14 (and acts even younger).
- Cute Little Fangs: Seen at all times, unless she's pouting.
- Cute Monster Girl: Nina is very short for her age (she's 14 at the begining of the comic), acts like a child most of the time, is usually very sweet and naive. Plus she sports Cute Little Fangs.
- Deal with the Devil: She made a bargain with Tia, out of fear that she was losing her sister, Layla, to Queen Lamia. So she asks Tia to help her, in exchange for Blair.
- I Gave My Word: After Tia keeps her end of the bargain, Nina honors her end when she comes to collect payment for services rendered.
- Decoy Protagonist: For a while as the others are got major subplots, though she has recently come back towards the forefront.
- Disproportionate Retribution: When Nina went to Layla to ask about her boobs, she poked fun at her. How did Nina respond? By hijacking her sister's body, then using it to go on a date with her sister's boyfriend. According to her, it was totally justified. The fandom disagreed, as did her parents.
- The Ditz: Nina usually appears not very bright, though it may be a result of her innocence.
- Fanservice Pack: take Laura's height (courtesy of Tia) then mix with a hair and wardrobe change and you get a much hotter Nina. As if it were not enough, she later gets Laura and Chess' combined size too. This made her much more popular with the guys, albeit temporarily.
- Friend to Bugs: While running for her life, Nina happily notes that she avoided stepping on a ladybug.
- Genki Girl: Nina is always very energetic and often glomps on characters she likes. She met Ace this way for example.
- Hidden Eyes: In this strip which, along with her gaping mouth and protruding fangs, indicate something's wrong with her.
- The Ingenue: Quoting the TV Tropes definition, Nina is a "Young virginal woman with the purity of a child". Just replace "woman" with "female teenager".
- Incorruptible Pure Pureness: Chloe, and possibly others, seems to see Nina as this, though there are hints that there is something darker within (Sisterly Love arc). Other characters have acted to shield her from darker, or at least more mature, things.
- According to demonically-empowered Chloe, Nina exudes an aura of pure innocence. Due to being a succubus, Chloe is compelled to corrupt her, but the fact that Nina is so very innocent, combined with the fact that they were pretty good friends before Chloe became demonically-empowered, causes her to have a bad reaction.
- It's All About Me: When she discovered that Brooke was dating Ace, her immediate response was "I thought you were my friend!" while running off crying about her "special puppy" despite Ace never having shown any romantic interest in her. The kicker? She did all this while possessing Laura's height, which was stolen from her by Tia, after having promised she would give it back after a few minutes. It only gets worse from there. After everyone got shrunk down due to Tia's machinations. Nina seems to be completely unconcerned since it allows her to play with everyone as if they were dolls (though they might have allowed it so she could have an awesome birthday).
- Kiddie Kid: Nina is introduced as a 14-year-old, but she acts like as if she was about half of that age.
- Multicolored Hair: Most of her hair is purple, save for hairtips which are black. It seems to be natural.
- OOC Is Serious Business: When she gets her first taste of blood (well technically second, but she was in Layla's body the first time) her demeanor suddenly changes and she swats away a chocolate bar Ace brought for her.
- Nina is later on the receiving end when Layla/Quintessa forgets her name.
- Older Than They Look: For the first three volumes of the comic, Nina was 14, but could easily be mistaken for being roughly half that age. She finally turned 15 at the beginning of the 4th volume and has not only grown physically, but has begun to show signs of maturity as well. But she's still "Nina".
- Our Vampires Are Different: See the Vegetarian Vampire entry.
- Red Herring: She only had part of Quintessa's spirit sealed inside her. The real host was Layla all along.
- Sealed Inside a Person-Shaped Can: Blair suspected her to be a reincarnation of Lamia Asra-Pa Quintessa, the very same vampire queen that ushered in a very bloody dark age for mankind that she and Ace did a report on early in the story. However, it wasn't exactly the case (see Red Herring).
- Spoiled Sweet: For the most part, though she tends to annoy her sister (and the readers) at times.
- Sweet Tooth: she feeds on chocolate instead of blood.
- Later has a Heroic BSOD when Laura admits she doesn't like chocolate.
- Took a Level in Jerkass: Started out Spoiled Sweet but turned into a brat out of jealousy of her more mature classmates. She was very reluctant to return the height and curves she'd "borrowed" from Laura (courtesy of Tia) to get Ace's attention because it also got her attention from alot of other boys, and she was whiny about it after she finally did.
- Vegetarian Vampire: Nina's preference for chocolate, rather than blood, makes her an oddity among vampires to say the least, supposedly because she was born on Easter Sunday. The truth comes out in chapter 15 when Blair explains that he purposely conditioned her that way in an effort to prevent Queen Quintessa's reincarnation. Except he'd been wrong about which of the Delacroix children it was to be: it was her older sister, Layla.
Layla Delacroix / Queen Quintessa
Nina's older sister, who's determined to make her into a proper vampire by getting her to drink blood.
- A-Cup Angst: Layla learned what it was like, during a set of guest strips, where she snarked on Melissa, who retaliated by casting a spell that took away her breasts.
- Alpha Bitch: She's the most popular girl at Charybdis Heights. So much so, that several have tried to overthrow her - including Melissa Hellrune, Cessily & Laura, and even Doompantied Chloe! Plus, she's almost always the talk of the school.
- Lovable Alpha Bitch: In spite of her aloofness and snark, Layla's not so bad, once anyone gets to know her. Which is often seen in her interactions with Tiffany, with whom she's become best friends. She also helps Jeffrey to keep the school safe by keeping humans from nosing around, and also helps organize events at the school - as seen in the "Kissing Both" bonus story in the print edition of vol.1.
- Aloof Darkhaired Girl: ...and she's snarky to boot.
- Armor-Piercing Question: She delivers one to her parents, at the start of chapter 16:Layla: "Mom? Dad? When were you going to tell me that I was the reincarnation of an ancient (and fabulous) vampire queen?"
- Bad Liar: Count the number of times here. If Tiffany wasn't so easily distracted, she might've noticed some of those slip-ups.
- Big Sister Instinct: "You. Made. My. Little sister. CRY!"
- Bi the Way: She identifies as heterosexual and generally denies any interest in girls, but she also has an aspect of her personality that is described as bi-curious.
- Cool Big Sis: To Nina, who went so far as to offer to give Blair to Tia, once she realized Lamia was trying to take over her sister's personality.
- Cute Monster Girl: So much so, that Even the Girls Want Her, as evidenced by Brooke's unrequited attraction to her, and even Faith paused long enough to remark on Layla's beauty, right before she intended to stake her.
- Cute Little Fangs: Hers become visible whenever she's nervous, or angry.
- Deadpan Snarker: She's quick with a one-liner, or a clever remark, and brimming with smug superiority.
- Dude Magnet/Even the Girls Want Her: Layla is such a hottie that she's both a dude magnet and a chick magnet!
- She's been the object of affection for the two hottest guys at school — Kade Whiteclaw and Diodore Renoir— and the mere thought that she might be lesbian was enough to have the guys in tears believing they'd no longer have the chance to be with her.
- At the same time, she's inspired at least one canonical lesbian crush, as Brooke secretly nurses unrequited feelings for her, despite not liking her. Also, a group of girls took her to the prom, believing the rumor that she was a lesbian, and even Faith Abbot paused long enough from attempting to stake her to admire her beauty!
- Engineered Public Confession: When Doompanty-possessed Chloe nearly devours Kade's soul, Layla's jealous side comes out and tells her "Get...Get your stinking claws off my boyfriend!!" Only thing was...this was in front of the whole school...and her then-fiance, Dio (which results in Layla's engagement being voided, part of Chloe's plan.).
- Explain, Explain... Oh, Crap!: She explains to Nina that she didn't technically seduce Nina's boyfriend because he was possessed by Blair at the time. Then it suddenly sinks in that she kissed Blair and she quickly darts off to brush her teeth.
- Fille Fatale: Seen during the earlier parts of the comic (noted in the Proud Beauty entry). Now that she's recovered her true memories as Queen Quintessa, she's become a full-fledged Femme Fatale to the point where she embodies the trope.Blair: [weakly] I-I'll... follow you to Hell and back!
Layla: [smugly] Of course you will.
- Have I Mentioned I Am Heterosexual Today?: After being Mistaken for Gay, she often finds the need to insist that she's not a lesbian.
- Hypocritical Heartwarming: teases Nina relentlessly about her refusal to drink blood, but she's genuinely trying to get Nina to change what she views as unhealthy behavior.
- Ice Queen: She's even referred to as such by Melissa and Cessily (seen in the Alpha Bitch entry).
- I Have Boobs, You Must Obey!: Uses the technique on Blair.
- Jerkass: She's self-centered, haughty and rude to pretty much everyone.
- Laser-Guided Karma: Layla falls victim to this repeatedly.
- During the Chloe-zombie scare, she was preapared to ditch Chloe and the others, believing it was "their problem", but forgot she was covered in Chloe's pheromones too and wound up eating her words. Whoops.
- Later, at Nina's slumber party, she volunteers Ace and Brooke for surprise makeovers. Brooke pays her back on the next page and the resulting catfight lands her in hot water with her mother.
- Oh and the liquor she pilfered from her dad's stash? She tricks Nina into drinking it, causing her to become sick and throw up. Guess who winds up on cleaning duty?
- During the Magick Chicks crossover, she agrees to go with Faith back to her home, thinking she'd get bite and almost ends up paying for it with her life. Good thing Tiffany showed up.
- Ms. Fanservice: Often without even trying, but she deliberately invokes it whenever she wants Kade to do something for her.
- Oblivious To Hints: As a part of her general obliviousness. When her mom tried to let slip the Arranged Marriage business, she was dead set on immediately clearing the miscommunication which no one else had seen as a big deal. And during the Doompanties incident, Chloe had to spell out exactly what just happened after setting her up.
- OOC Is Serious Business: You know things are getting bad when Layla stops wearing her skull hairpin and loses her Big Sister Instinct for Nina.
- Parental Incest: In a sense. Layla is rather disturbed to recall that a past incarnation of her, Queen Quintessa, kissed both of her parents.
- Past-Life Memories: Her memories from a previous incarnation are unlocked when Nina bites her, reuniting the entirety of Queen Quintessa's soul.
- Proud Beauty: Layla's got it going on, she knows it, and won't hesitate to use her looks or her charms to get what she wants.
- Reincarnation: She is supposedly this to Queen Quintessa. Though Queen Quintessa's attempt to replace Layla's mind with her own places this in doubt.
- Sealed in a Person-Shaped Can: She's the reincarnation of the evil Queen Quintessa. However, part of the Queen's spirit was trapped in Nina, and as a result, Layla didn't remember who she was. When the berserk Nina bit Layla, Quintessa's rebirth was complete.
- Ship Tease: In several scenes with Brooke, who secretly nurses a one-sided crush on her. But, now that she's regained the memories of her past life, she's not only said that Brooke belongs to her, so does Ace!
- "Shut Up" Kiss: She invokes this at the end of the "War Dance" arc, when she finally makes up with Kade. Which segues into a Big Damn Kiss.
- So Proud of You: She's been trying to make a proper vampire out of Nina since the beginning of the comic, by trying to get her to drink blood, instead of eating chocolate - without success. But when Nina finally does it, while possessed by Quintessanote , Layla couldn't be happier for her kid sister.
- Split-Personality Merge: For a brief period of time, she does this with her supposed previous incarnation. Layla's teenager personality and Queen Quintessa's adult personality both poke through in alternating moments. But this eventually starts turning into Split Personality Takeover.
- Split Personality Takeover: Queen Lamia gradually erases Layla's identity so as to replace it with her own. It eventually gets to the point that Layla can no longer remember her own sister's name. However, after Nina's intervention, Layla manages to fight back to the point of reversing it on Lamia.
- Tempting Fate: After setting her human friend, Tiffany, up on a date with her vampire ex, Dio, she has a Catapult Nightmare after realizing what she's done, then asks the inevitable question.
- It happens again, during the "Art Scholarship" interlude strips, when she tells Melissa she has no chance of Brooke choosing her as the subject of her painting, versus her curvy perfection. Since Mel couldn't think of a comeback, she zaps Layla with a spell, to take away her boobs! Melissa gives 'em back though... begrudgingly.
- The Nicknamer: She has one for each of the main cast:
- Tsundere: Layla has shades of it, as seen, here, when Kade reminds her of what she said at Chloe's party.
Chloe LoveA succubus, who considers herself to be ugly by succubus standards (though she acknowledges that she's pretty by human standards), despite her many admirers. Much to the surprise of readers, she now has her own webcomic Spin-Off — Dangerously Chloe. See that character page for her entry.
A melusine. She can turn into a snake monster, but, true to the tale of Mélusine, resents her monster form and tries to hide it. Generally laid-back and cool, but confused and shy when it comes to romance.
- A-Cup Angst: While she didn't obsess over it, like Nina, she did used to be self-conscious about her breasts. Though she's gotten over it since she's started dating.
- Actually Pretty Funny: When she accuses Ace of being a skirt chaser, he replies she's never worn a skirt besides the one with her uniform. After a moment's thought, she had to admit he had a point.
- Bi the Way: She's attracted to Layla (albeit begrudgingly) and she's been dating Ace on-again/off-again.
- Bifauxnen: Back when the comic was in color, she could almost pass for a boy. But once it changed to black-and-white, her appearance became more feminine. Now she has the look of a boyish, albeit, very cute young woman.
- Black Eyes of Evil: Whenever she scales up.
- Boyish Short Hair: As befitting her personality and her temperament. And so long as no one does anything to piss her off, she'll stay that way... Oh hi, Ash!
- Coming-Out Story: Done in chapter 3, thanks to Nina mistaking her sister as a lesbian and assuming Brooke was her girlfriend, when she caught them kissing (see the Practice Kiss entry). Before either them could explain, Nina ran off and told Cess and Laura about it, who set up a rally in front of the entire schoolnote .
- Covert Pervert: She has her moments, like how she used Ace's experiment to peek in the guys' shower room for "evidence". Honest.
- Deadpan Snarker: Enough to rival Layla, whom she often acts as a foil to.
- Distracted by My Own Sexy: Brooke got so caught up in checking herself out in Ace's old uniform, that she forgot she was in the boys shower room!
- Feather Boa Constrictor: She almost always wears her pet snake, Seth around her neck.
- Foil: To Layla, as seen in the Deadpan Snarker entry.
- Girlish Pigtails: Brooke wore her hair like that when she was a little girl, as shown in flashbacks.
- Homoerotic Subtext: In moments like these with Layla.
- Hulking Out: When Ash pushed her one step too far, she went snake-girl on him.
- Love Makes You Dumb: She was among the first to be swayed by Quintessa, so when Brooke saw her preparing to replace Kade's consciousness with her deceased pet, Mr. Boodles, she still made a feeble attempt to rationalize it.
- Loves My Alter Ego: Subverted. In vol.4, she learns that Layla was Queen Quintessa's reincarnation. So when Quintessa comes onto her, it causes Brooke's repressed feelings for Layla to resurface, in hopes that she now had a chance to be with her crush.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Brooke went feral, after being provoked by Ash and nearly constricted him to death. It wasn't until Melissa snapped her out of her out of it, that she saw he was no longer breathing and asked Melissa to apply CPR.
- Only Sane Man: She and Ace share this distinction, among the cast:
- She's typically the most levelheaded member of the bunch and shows a surprising amount of maturity to say she's only 14 years old (now 15, as of the timeskip). Such as the time she exhausted herself while trying to keep an eye on girl-Kade so he wouldn't do anything he'd regret, later.
- And, while they were dating, she and Ace tried to resolve the problems they were having in their relationship by openly discussing it. Though they were abruptly cut off by Tia's meddling.
- Pair the Smart Ones: The het part of the fandom ships her with Ace, since both are mature for their age and they're the closest the series has ever had to a normal, stable couple. Which is why it wasn't allowed to last.
- Practice Kiss: Near the end of Nina's slumber party, she confided in Layla that she hadn't been kissed by a boy, because of her shyness, and asked Layla to teach her how. The following day, Layla made good on her promise by giving Brooke a kissing lesson, since Brooke had given her some of her blood.
- Property of Love: A past incarnation of Brooke appears in Ace's dream, together with Lamia, which prompts him to ask what she's doing there. Lamia tells him it's because Brooke belongs to her, just as he does; implying a deeper connection between them.
- Punny Name: Say it fast.
- Relationship Revolving Door: She's been dating Ace on-again/off-again since the end of vol.1. The comic went on indefinite hiatus during another of their "off" periods, at a time when he was developing a romantic interest in Nina. But an upcoming bonus story is said to illustrate how things stand between the three of them.
- Reptiles Are Abhorrent: Averted. She's pretty down-to-earth and well liked by her friends. In fact, she's ashamed of her snake form and would rather no one know about it, which is why she prefers to remain in her human form.
- Scaled Up: Her melusine form is a snake-girl. One with a LONG body and coiling ability. When her eyes go from human to snake, it might not end well. Usually caused by getting her mad.
- Shared Universe: She appears in this Imagine Spot as a "monstre" about to kill a movie couple "too much with the lovemaking" (except not really)
- She Cleans Up Nicely: Despite all the jokes about Brooke looking like a boy, and her tomboyish behavior, she's defintely all woman... when she tries.
- Ship Tease: With Layla and Ace.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: Brooke is usually collected, rational, and snarky, but she cried when Chloe was transfered and exhausted herself taking care of girl-Kade, for fear the latter would do something harmful to himself.
- Tomboy: Brooke's lack of femininity has been shown and outright stated more than once, from Ace pointing out that she doesn't wear skirts (excluding her school uniform), to besting Ash in a sparring match!
- Shrinking Violet: She's usually confident, but she's very shy about romance and prone to suddenly disappearing when she acts on it.
- Take a Third Option: When the "Art Interlude" Guest Strips have her deal with Melissa, Layla, and Cerise who are ALL wanting to be Brooke's model (and showing their diva egos), the artist takes an award-winning approach. She paints a nude self-portrait.
- Vegetarian Carnivore: As a result of the 'Skittles incident'.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Brooke gets called out, by Layla, for her complicity in enabling Lamia to nearly replace Kade's consciousness with her deceased cat's.
- You Wouldn't Like Me When I'm Angry: Ash learns this the hard way and nearly pays for it with his life, when he makes the mistake of deliberately provoking her so she wouldn't hold back on him.
A catboy who's Layla's sometimes boyfriend, and the object of Nina's affections.
- Attractive Bent-Gender: Kade had just as many romantic interests as a girl, as he did while in male form. Enough that Brooke demanded Ms. Twigget do something about it before Kade wound up going too far.
- The Casanova: He's an incorrigible playboy type, who'll hit on any cute girl that catches his eye. Which is why Layla kept dumping him.
- Cat Smile: Well, duh.
- Chick Magnet:
- Fun Size: Recently got shrunk down to Blair's height thanks to Tia.
- Gender Bender: It's not like he didn't deserve it.
- Henpecked Husband: Layla's. He clearly likes it when the girl shows some claws.
- Hopeless Suitor: Ace's. Hopeless, for a... good reason.
- Ladykiller in Love: "Sure thing, Layla!" Ouch, Kade
- Laser-Guided Karma: His wandering eye comes back to bite him in the ass.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy: Kade is the guy with the longest hair of the cast, and isd clearly to meant to be very attractive.
- A Man Is Always Eager: This applies to Kade regardless whether he happens to be male, or female, at the time. Which naturally leads to...
- Mismatched Eyes: It's not apparent except in the colored comics, but one of his eyes is blue and the other one yellow/amber. As it happens, heterochromia is a common trait among real-life cats.
- Nice Guy: He's a friendly fellow. While transformed, became a walking headache, but once the curse was removed, he's back to his old self, all over Layla and ignoring her tsundere-ish hissing.
- Relationship Revolving Door: He and Layla broke up and made up several times, until she finally ended their relationship for keeps.
- Something Else Also Rises: We don't normally see his cat ears, but...
- The Mind Is a Plaything of the Body: In addition to acting a lot like a Clingy Jealous Girl in the grips of Love Makes You Dumb concerning Layla, Kade becomes quite a bit bitchier in female form, acting like a completely inconsiderate Jerk Ass to Melissa and starting to get distracted by the first attractive guy to walk by. Maybe got a little too far into Vapid Valley Girl mode or "catfight" part mixed badly with his cat side, or something.
- You Remind Me of X: Following Layla becoming fully incarnated as Queen Quintessa she mentions that Kade reminds her of Mr. Boodles and muses that's might be why she's kept him around after so long.
A werewolf, who's Nina's unwilling friend, though generally nice and well meaning.
- Affectionate Nickname: Brooke likes to call him "Acey", whenever they're dating.
- Attractive Bent-Gender: Notorious girls-lover Kade tried to seduce Ace in female form, and resident pervert Blair harassed him like any other attractive girl he met.
- Butt Monkey: He's always gotten the short end of the stick ever since he's met Nina and her sister, Layla.
- In their very first meeting, she cost him a chance at setting a new track record, by glomping him just as he'd been about to cross the finish line.
- Then he wound up being humiliated after agreeing to deliver a note to Kade for her, since Kade thought it was from him.
- The previous incident got him yelled, at, by Layla, for losing his temper with Nina. Not only was he forced to apologize, Nina paraded him around the school in a sweater she'd made to declare her love for Kade, humiliating Ace again.
- Layla blackmailed him into posing as Kade, by kissing him and said she'd keep it a secret, so long as he cooperated. But the moment she saw Dio, she didn't need him anymore.
- When Tia removed the confidence boost she gave him along with the leftover magic from the Tiresias Orb, it reverted him back to his former self, just to spite Brooke.
- And, in chapter 15 he gets stuck with Blair's consciousness in his body. The guy just can't catch a break.
- The Chew Toy: If there's ever a chance of anything bad happening to anyone, 8 times out of 10, you can expect Ace to be the victim; especially if Nina's involved.
- CPR (Clean, Pretty, Reliable): When Mel (who doesn't know how to do CPR) or Brooke (who doesn't have lips) can't do this for a not-breathing Ash, Ace must.
- Deadpan Snarker: Occasionally, usually in regard to Layla.
- Distracted by My Own Sexy: Seen during Nina's slumber party, after Chloe gave "her" a makeovernote . Ace was so taken by his own appearance, that he couldn't help admiring "herself".girl-Ace: "I should be looking for a way to change back into a— Boy. Oh! Oooooh boy."girl-Ace: (smiling and posing) "Hmm... ooo, yeah..."Layla: (wry grin) "Are you and that mirror gonna need some time alone?"
- Embarrassing Nickname: To the point of bordering on Dude, Where's My Respect? territory, since Ace gets it from both of the Delacroix sisters, who refuse to refer to him by his name. Nina insists on calling him "Puppy, despite knowing how it upsets him. While her sister refers to him as "mongrel", or more commonly, "the mutt".
- Enemy Mine/Enemy Within: Blair's consciousness was forcibly released from the doll by Nina, who was possessed by Quintessa at the time, and has wound up in Ace's body. Now, not only is Ace stuck with him for the foreseeable future, he's threatened to take him over if he falls asleep, to satisfy his perversion.
- Extreme Doormat: The problem with being a Nice Guy is, he has a hard time saying "no" to anybody (except Layla) or sticking up for himself. She's shut him down instantly both times that he's tried.
- Fanservice Pack:
- When he is restored to a male body, he gets taller and fills out a bit, (and he loses the furry hands for good)!
- Except now Tia removed that from him and he is now back to the way he looked at the beginning.
- Gender Bender: Ace was stuck as a girl from the end of vol.0, 'til the end of vol.1, when the effect was finally reversed.
- In-Series Nickname:
- Nina almost always calls him Puppy.
- His father calls gender-bended Ace "Acina".
- The Mind Is a Plaything of the Body: The time spent as a girl appears to have had a lingering effect on part of Ace's psyche. When he admisters CPR to resuscitate Ash, his girl half is beside herself with glee.girl-Ace (squeeing) "EEEEEE! He's such a cutie!"guy-Ace (irately)''' "Sh-shut up, girl-me!"
- Nice Guy: This is both his defining character trait and his Achilles' Heel, which has often lead to embarrassment and landed him in uncomfortable situations, by not wanting to hurt anyone's feelings.
- No Periods, Period: Averted by girl Ace here.
- Oh Crap!: A rare comical example, when Ace couldn't help laughing at the sight of Brooke yoinking the pads out of Layla's bra and the resulting pillow fight... until they decided to join forces and come after her.
- Only Sane Man: A distinction he shares with Brooke (mostly covered in her example entry).
- Ace is fairly levelheaded, such as when he recognized the hormonal changes Kade had undergone while under the effect of the Tiresias Orb; having been effected by it himself.
- He's also shown himself to be sensible enough to know when it's best to beat a hasty retreat. Such as the time he ducked out on a brewing argument between Brooke and Melissa.
- Pair the Smart Ones: It's one of the reason that the het part fandom ships Ace with Brooke, as both are mature for their age. And they're the closest the series has ever had to a normal, stable couple.
- Past-Life Memories: The dialog in this scene seems to suggest Ace may have had a past with Queen Quintessa. Though it's ended abruptly by Brooke slapping him, under the assumption Ace was making a pass at her.
- The next time Lamia speaks to him, is in his dreams, where he sees Brooke is with her. When he asks what she's doing there, Lamia tells tells him Brooke belongs to her, just as Ace does. Implying a deeper connection between them.
- Sharing a Body: With Blair, due to his spirit being launched at Ace after his doll was broken. But he's eventually returned to his proper place, thanks to Tia.
- Stupid Sexy Flanders: Apparently, being stuck as a girl for a while left behind some side effects.
- Throw the Dog a Bone: Ace's longest (and only) bout of good fortune, was when he got together with Brooke. The bonus story in the print edition of Vol.1 showed their first date.
- Yank the Dog's Chain: It wasn't allowed to last — and came to an end between Tia and Melissa's individual manipulations.
- Your Cheating Heart: Averted. It turns out Ace's behavior was due to the confidence boost Tia had given him. Once that was removed, he returned to normal... in more ways than one.
Nina's doll, possessed by the spirit of a man; absolutely shameless pervert. Nina gives him to Tia at the end of vol.4.
- Abhorrent Admirer: To all females, including genderbent males.
- Animals Hate Him: He constantly gets chased and chewed on by every pet he's ever met.
- The Casanova: When he get's transferred into Ace's body by accident he rather quickly shows himself able to charm three girls in one day now that he is no longer in a female doll.
- Creepy Doll: Oh yes.
- Evil Gloating: Which was cut short, courtesy of Tia's magic, when she came to collect payment for helping Nina save her sister — as they agreed.
- The Hedonist: He pretty much only lives to satiate his perversions and considers inhibitions to be "wussy".
- Hidden Depths: There seems to be more going on than first thought. Why he suddenly has this dark scene has led to a lot of WMGing.
- Hammerspace: When Sharing a Body with Ace, he pulls a stake out of nowhere. Ace Lampshades it by asking where it came from.
- Named After Somebody Famous: Blair name is a reference to Linda Blair. He does the Exorcist's neck trick in his first apparition in the comic.
- The Not Secret: Just about everybody knows his so-called "carefully hidden" weakness. So much so, that Twiggit, Chloe, and Layla have all exploited it at different points.
- Painting the Medium: He uses a slightly different font than everyone else. Which eventually comes in useful to distinguish him from Ace when they end up Sharing a Body.
- Panty Thief: As if his character image doesn't make it obvious enough.
- Running Gag: Blair's habit of either saying, or doing, something to annoy others, then getting punt-kicked for it.
- Spanner in the Works / Wild Card: Blair has two cases of these which stand out. In both he showed he didn't mind interfering with the plans of others if it helped his goals or even jeopardized the good thing he had in the process.
- He stole the Orb Of Tiresias from the Hellrune Coven to put the whole school into a major gender-bending fiasco that almost turned the school into his own paradise of blonde buxom bimbos, even Nina, who loved him.
- When told the Doompanties were the rarest panties in the universe, he stole them off of Chloe, not caring if he lost the Heaven he was in with her. Or that he'd be locked in the box with them for a very very long time.
- Tempting Fate: When Nina gives Tia Blair's doll body sans Blair in it, he proclaims Tia won't be getting him as he has found better accommodations (i.e. Ace's body). Before he can finish his sentence, Tia pulls his spirit out of Ace and back into the doll with a wave of her finger.
- The Un-Reveal: He has an interesting backstory and Freudian Excuse, but no one wants to hear it.
- Unwitting Instigator of Doom: Chapter 14 has him as one. Tia boosts a magick on Blair that shrinks anyone he touches into Blair's size. Unfortunately, while she's collecting the smaller characters, she grabs Blair as well—and suffers the same fate.
- Voices Are Mental: After Sharing a Body with Ace, Dio mentions that Blair's voice is coming out of Ace's body. He also continues to use the same, slightly different font when speaking than Ace and everyone else.
The Hellrune Coven
The Hellrune CovenA coven of witches. Got their own spinoff, Magick Chicks, but still make appearances. See the Artemis Academy And Apollo Academy page for their entries.
Cess and Laura
Cessily (Cess) and LauraA pair of minor antagonists, who aspire to become 'queen bees' by overthrowing Layla, but their "plans" usually backfire. As of Vol.4, they've become friends with Nina, and seem to be on good terms with Layla.
- Alpha Bitch: More wannabees than queen bees, but they are trying to get there.
- Because She Was Nice to Us: Nina befriended Laura to cheer her up, after she and Cessily split up. By the end of chapter 13, when Laura returns to normal, she thanks Nina for her kindness. Which results in Cessily & Laura becoming friends witn her.
- Breast Expansion / Gag Boobs: Recently, both girls were given breasts by Chloe about the same size as Chloe had before she reduced them thanks to the Doompanties. This was to get some A-list students to come to Chloe's in-school party when the two girls invited them.
- Character Development: They began as a pair of minor antagonists, toward Layla. Their friendship was briefly severed by Tia's manipulation, but they've made up and have seemingly made a change for the better. In Vol.4, it's revealed that they've both become friends with Nina.
- Heel-Face Turn: Following the events of chapter 13.
- Have I Mentioned I Am Sexually Active Today?: Needless to say, neither of them are.
- Ineffectual Sympathetic Villains: They usually foil themselves, often because their plans are either poorly thought out, or just plain weird.
- Those Two Girls: With the emphasis on "two". The others are so used to seeing them together, that Brooke failed to recognize Laura when she saw her without Cessily!
- Villainous Friendship: Type I. Despite their hangups, they're virtually inseparable and care about each other.
- Childhood Friends: According to Cessily, they've known each other since they were kids.
- Zany Scheme: Cess has got a million of 'em, and Laura usually goes along with them - including one that was gonna involve paint, an exploding bra, and Laura in a mascot costume (don't ask). They never work.
Cessily FrostblossumA Snow Fairy.
- An Ice Person
- Buxom Is Better: She seems more comfortable with having bigger breasts thanks to Tia now than she did when Chloe did it earlier.
- Inelegant Blubbering: After turning Laura away initially, Cess sees the now-shorter Laura in her Loli-outfit. Seeing this reminds Cess how Laura looked as a kid...and this causes Cess to tear up and hug Laura tightly to her bosom, wailing "I missed you SO muuuuuuch!"
- Laser-Guided Karma: She talked about having Chloe's E-cup breasts done in school colors, then rigging Chloe's bra to pop open and flash the football team. Cess is shocked when they see Chloe with smaller breasts (Chloe was tired of having to lug around those massive breasts). Eventually, Cess and Laura both get E-cups of their own thanks to Chloe, and Cess realizes how heavy they were.
- And another piece of it when after she'd gotten used to them, they left once the Doompanties were sealed back in their box.
- Only Sane Man: Much more sensible than Laura.
- Voluntary Shapeshifter: Cess can change her hand and part of her arm to be an ice-based hammer to knock some sense into Laura when she thinks Cess should dye her hair red. Later made a lockpick icicle on her finger.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
Laura MorningfireA fire ifrit.
- Burning with Anger: Her temper causes Power Incontinence for her.
- Butt Monkey: Has run into a lot of misfortune as of late. She loses her breasts thanks to Tia, Cessily leaves her when she thinks Laura was manipulating her as per her species (once again thanks to Tia). And when Nina tries to help her, yet another run in with Tia results in her losing her height. But she might be having a means to deal with it (see Idea Bulb).
- Buxom Is Better:
- She was happy with her new breasts. Until she lost them when the Doompanties were relocked into their box.
- Again when Tia briefly gave them back—then turned around to endow them to Cessily. She was told the only way to GET them back was for Cessily to give them to Laura willingly. And shortly afterwards Tia grabs Cess before Laura can do that.
- Cuteness Proximity: Laura's plan for getting back at Tia was to be the cutest, most adorable 'lil moeblob ever. It worked.
- The Ditz
- Obfuscating Stupidity: Once out of Cess and Evil Chloe's influence, she challenges Tia on a "cute with cute" field and uses her ditziness to cover this up (and have Tia think this extra ditziness might have been a result of her stealing the height and curves from Laura).
- Dumb Blonde: Previously until Tia did her nastiness to Laura. Then...
- Fun Size: Tia takes away Laura's height and gives it to Nina. However, this makes Laura realize she looks adorable—and realize she can challenge Tia on "adorability" now. Going to "The Trendy Loli," Laura uses this to win over everyone, and even use her "aura of innocence" to hurt Tia with a hug (as it "Burns" Tia in doing so).
- Obfuscating Insanity: Tia initially thinks Laura's lost it. However, this is Laura trying to go "full Lolita" to give enough cred to her own plan to take on Tia.
- Playing with Fire
- Puppy-Dog Eyes: Uses this on Mr. Purvis to convince him not to punish her due to her non-uniform attire (she also adds that her uniforms don't fit her anymore given her height was taken away by Tia).
- Spanner in the Works: Tia Darkness claims that this is an ifrit's nature, using it to drive a wedge between Cessily and Laura by pointing out the latter can't HELP but mess up the former's plans. When Laura finally realizes that she can put this to use against ''Tia,'' Tia's machinations begin to collapse hard.
An adorable very young dark-haired demoness (succubus?). Appeared when Cessily, Laura and Nina tried to summon Chloe back and immediately began to show who's the boss. Seems to be a competent magic user.
- Apple of Discord: Delights in causing arguments; she even seems to feed off of them.
- Briar Patching: Seen when she used Laura's desire to get rid of her, to trick Laura into doing her chores around the house instead. Cess saw through it and tried to warn her, but Laura had already taken the bait.
- Emotion Eater: She used the spat between Cess and Laura as a chance for a meal.
- Enfant Terrible: In appearance, anyway. See Older Than They Look.
- Entitled Bitch: Demands that Cessily give her lunch and thinks that Cessily should attend her birthday party despite neither being related to her nor nice to her.
- Evil Gloating: Cut hilariously short as a result of falling victim to her own curse. See below.
- Evil Is Petty: How dare Nina have a birthday party on the same day as her?? Time to go teach her a lesson.
- For the Lulz: Amusement is her sole motivation behind her actions.
- Goth: Though not yet clear, which variety.
- Hoist By Their Own Petard: After using Blaire to shrink down everyone she grabs him while not paying attention and shrinks herself down as well.
- I'm Taking Her Home with Me!: ...and I will call you Bessy! And by the end of vol.4, it's for keeps, as per the agreement Nina made with her.
- Jerkass: See the Necessarily Evil entry.
- Manipulative Bitch: Quite good at it, she has a way of playing people like violins.
- Necessarily Evil: She feeds on misery and discord, while displays of kindness, friendship, and happiness can cause her to become physically ill. In extreme cases, it threatens to make her fade altogether. Meaning, in all likelihood, she has to sow discord in order to sustain her existence.
- Nice Job Fixing It, Villain: Sure, Tia, take away Laura's chest and give it to Cess, then make sure Cess won't give it back willingly. Then take her height and give it to Nina, and make HER miserable enough to not even think of returning it to Laura. It's not as if Laura can do anything about it, right? What, she can out-Lolita YOU and now Laura's touch can even BURN you? Whoops...
- Oh Crap!: Aw, pitch-forks!
- Older Than They Look: Subtly implied, when Tia referrs to Nina as, "little one", despite appearing to be the same physical age.
- Punctuated! For! Emphasis!: This piece after she and Cess' sisters, Neige and Sorbet, end up in a closet instead of openly to crash a party:Tia Darkness: Who. Drew. The. Circle?
Neige and Sorbet: [each pointing to the other] She did!
- Screwy Squirrel: Be careful what you wish for, with Tia, as Laura learns in short order. When she demands bigger boobs, Tia takes what Laura has and adds it to Cessily's bust size, leaving Laura flat as a pancake!
- Skunk Stripe: Tia's hair is black with white stripes, which makes it look like the fur of an actual skunk.
- Tsurime Eyes: Seen in the accompanying folder picture above.
- Weaksauce Weakness: Since she feeds off misery, the opposite leads to her own suffering. Meaning, displays of happiness and kindness hurt her. In the most extreme instance, when Laura spread joy around the school, Tia almost faded from existence.
Queen Lamia Asra-pa Quintessa and Mr. BoodlesA vampire queen and her cat. Lived a long time before the story starts. Ace and Nina have to do a report on her.
- Bi the Way: Layla remembers kissing both Eugene and Maria in her previous life. Now that she's reincarnated and her personality is a mix between Layla's and her original self she's reasonably squicked out by this. However this might explain some of Layla's bisexual tendencies.
- But for Me, It Was Tuesday: While controlling Layla, she tells Blair that she couldn't care less about his motives, because she has dealt with so many assassins with tortured backstories that it has gotten tedious.
- Chekhov's Gunman: She starts off as little more than a minor Posthumous Character in an early chapter. But a long time later, she becomes quite relevant.
- Demonic Possession: According to legend, Queen Quintessawas given a resurrection spell in case she was ever killed. When Nina gets her first taste of blood, Blair states that she is channelling Queen Quintessa through her body. She's also apparently able to switch hosts through biting, and transfers herself to Layla in an attempt to devour her mind and steal her body.
- Femme Fatale: Queen Lamia uses her wiles to gather supporters from both sexes. In the present era, she has been influencing her apparent reincarnation, Layla, into going on dates with Brooke, Kade, and Dio. She has also shown a special interest in Ace, Talking in His Dreams, saying that they belong to one another, while manipulating his emotions and claiming that she needs his love to survive.
- Fish Out of Temporal Water: When Lamia returns to the living world, she has a lot of trouble adjusting to the many differences. She is taken aback to learn that vampires in current times maintain a low profile and avoid killing humans. Phones and Tumblr are strange to her. But most of all, she misses her pet Boodles. When Layla defeats and regresses her to a child, she expresses great fear of her strange new world.
- God Save Us from the Queen!: Quintessa was quite ruthless during her rule managing to wipe out entire towns in one night before moving on to the next.
- Killer Rabbit: Mr. Boodles may look cute, but he decapitated King Lupus with a single claw swipe.
- Formally Named Pet: Mr. Boodles.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Receives one from Layla, who criticizes her for acting as if she owns everything when she is little more than a bygone relic.
- Sealed in a Person-Shaped Can: Within Nina, as confirmed by Blair. When Nina gets her first drop of blood and goes berserk, Ace receives a vision from a mysterious being, resembling Queen Quintessa, who thanks him for freeing her. It's later revealed that she was actually sealed in Layla, and only part of her spirit was trapped in Nina. When the berserk Nina bit Layla, Quintessa's rebirth was complete.
- Split Personality Takeover: She attempts this on Layla, attempting to devour her mind in an attempt at Grand Theft Me. Layla ultimately reverses this onto her, regressing Queen Lamia to the mind of a child with only a minor influence over Layla.
Tiffany WintersA vampire slayer who really does want to slay Layla, but that's not going so well. Appears more often now in the Spin-Off, Magick Chicks. See the Artemis Academy And Apollo Academy page for her entry.
Maria DelacroixNina and Layla's mother. She's apparently had 13 children. Not the loner sort of a vampire - she prefers to keep some company around and is unhappy about her daughters being mostly absent, that is in school or asleep.
- Amazingly Embarrassing Parents: As either sister will happily tell you. See Lesbian Vampire and Too Much Information.
- Lesbian Vampire: Not exactly (a bisexual vampire), but she apparently went through a "phase" with Adora Love, who happens to be Chloe's mom. This causes her to be very... friendly... towards Chloe.Maria: Of course! Adora Love's daughter!
Chloe: You knew my mother?
Maria: We were schoolmates. Your mother had the... sweetest blood.
Chloe: ...h-how interesting, Mrs. Delacroix.
Maria: Please, call me Maria! <3
- Ms. Fanservice: Maria is always seen in attractive, form-fitting gowns, has a curvaceous figure and youthful appearance to say she's over two centuries old, has been featured in a shower scene and a bath scene (with her daughter, Layla), and had a history with Chloe's mother. Put simply: she's Fetish Fuel in character form.
- Oh Crap!: Effectively sums up her and Eugene's reaction when Layla hits them with an Armor-Piercing Question in the beginning of Chapter 16: "Mom? Dad? When were you going to tell me I was the reincarnation of an ancient (and fabulous) vampire queen?"
- Really 700 Years Old: She and her husband, Eugene, barely look a day older than their late 20's, despite being over two centuries old. Maria has even raised 13 children, yet you'd never be able to tell by looking at her.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: During a cameo appearance in Vampire Cheerleaders, she had a phone conversation with Stephanie Kane and J.C. Summerfield, who convinced Maria to help them protect the students at Bakertown Highschool, after assuring her they wouldn't kill the cheerleaders.
- Sexy Backless Outfit: Much like Morticia, she always wears a backless black evening gown, as seen in the lower left panel, here.
- Silk Hiding Steel: She's a nice and worldly lady who showers everyone with care and hospitality... and suddenly becomes firm and lays down the law when thinks it's really necessary.
- Supernaturally Young Parent: Justified since she's a vampire (noted in the Really 700 Years Old entry).
- Too Much Information:Maria: It's okay, girls! You're just going through a phase. I went through the same phase, myself. With Chloe's mother!
Maria: Ohh! The things she would do to me...! They made me quiver.
Layla/Brooke/Chloe: [look Squicked out]
Brooke: [covers Nina's ears]
Professor TwigittThe science teacher at Charybdis Heights and may, or may not, be human.
- Attack Its Weak Point: In chapter 5, she was able to flush Blair into the open and captured him easily by using his well known weakness against him: a pretty girl.
- Breast Expansion: She briefly wound up falling victim to it, here, thanks to the Tiresias Orb acting on Blair's subconscious desires to change her and the rest of Charybdis into his vision of "ideal woman".
- Celibate Eccentric Genius: She's fairly attractive, yet doesn't seem to have an interest in romance. Likely because of her "other" interest.
- Christmas Cake: According to the cast page, she's in her early 30's and appears to be single. But then, it isn't like she's looking to get involved with anyone either. She seems to be married to her job.
- Cool Teacher: She's Charybdis Heights very own Bill Nye. As such, she's often the "go to" person that Nina and the others turn to, whenever they need help dealing with the craziness that goes on at the school.
- For Science!: Almost every-friggin'-thing she does. The woman clearly loves her job.
- Human Alien: The cast page list her species as "(human?)", suggesting she may not be human after all. At least, not entirely.
- Mad Scientist: She's always happy to meet some guinea pigs... sorry, test subjects.... er... students. What did you expect from a supposedly human Science teacher at Charybdis Heights?
- Tomboy: Implied, anyway.Girl!Ace: And I want to go to the mall and buy cute outfits and stuff...
Twigitt: I've never had those urges. That's just you.
- Unusually Uninteresting Sight: Early in the comic, we're told that the groundskeeper at Charybdis, has made it a point to discourage humans from nosing around the school. Yet, no one finds it strange that there's a human(?) science teacher working there. Nor does she seem bothered by the fact that she works at a school for monsters, likely because it helps further her studies.
Mr. WolfhartAce's father.
EleanorThe Delacroix's housekeeper. It's unknown what she is, just that she looks kinda like an owl and is creepy.
BeckyTiffany's boss, at the mall.
- Bad Boss: Averted. Tiffany thinks she's bossy, when all Becky really wants, is for Tiff to do her job.
- Brainwashed: She gets subjected to this twice.
- Fanservice: Blair used her to this end, while she was enthralled by Nina. This was also seen in one of the postcards that came with the collector's edition of Vol.1, which shows her in a string bikini with Blair resting his head between her breasts.
- Innocent Fanservice Girl: For the aforementioned reason.
- Meganekko: She wears a simple pair of wire-rimmed specs.
- Nerds Are Sexy: She's pretty cute, in a studious fashion, since she's usually in uniform. But, as seen in the fanservice entry, when she takes it off... WOW!
- Only Sane Employee: Considering that she's working with Tiffany, it's to be expected.
Diodore RenoirLayla's fiancee.
- Arranged Marriage:
- Formerly, between him and Layla, but it was deep-sixed, when he learned she was in love with Kade. Except his father won't allow him to return home without one of the Delacroix sisters as his bride. So he's stuck hopelessly pursuing Layla.
- Then again, it may not be so hopeless after all. Though their roles have been reversed, with Layla having feelings for Dio, who's hooked up with Ash, thanks to Melissa's wand!
- Bishōnen: Certainly enough to make Layla forget about Kade, and make Chloe turn evil.
- Bi the Way: Fell in love with Ash, due to Melissa's magic wand, but is still attracted to women sometimes.
- Fantastic Racism: He wastes no time in bragging to Ace how Vampires are the superior race, and tends to call him mutt or any related names.
- Flat Character: Fans have begun to regard him this way, due to a lack of characterization, compared to the rest of the cast.
- French Jerk: Dio is French (from Marseille, to be precise), though his nationality is almost never mentioned and never comes into play in his jerkass moments.
- Jerkass: Dio is full of himself, dismissive of anyone he deems inferior to him, classist and displays Fantastic Racism like it was nothing. His one redeeming trait is that he's not a womanizer, while it would be very easy for him.
- Break the Haughty: And the universe responds to the above by knocking him down a few pegs in equal measure to his snobby antics. The best example is when he, after Ash slugs him thinking he is going to hurt Tiffany, picks a fight with Ash for "daring to lay a hand on his betters"...and then gets curb-stomped, and also when Layla tells him he got mistaken for a human by Nina on her blood-craving craze, his ego takes a HUGE blow.
- Laser-Guided Karma: After taunting a shrunken Kade, Kade tells him, "Why don't you come down here and say that to my face!" One POOF later, Dio's shrunk down too.
- Upper-Class Twit: He comes from a prestigious vampire family himself, and he's very full of himself.