Candace White Andree alias Candy
Voiced by: Minori Matsushima (TV series)An orphan young woman raised in the orphanage "Pony's Home". While being a teenager, she is adopted by the clan Adley, the biggest, very rich, influential and highly respected clan in the United States of America. From then on Candy must go through many troubles in her life. However, she never becomes dejected, but stays cheerful, diligent and optimistic.
- All-Loving Heroine: Candy is very kind-hearted, helpful, optimistic, cheerful and vivid and doesn't have any inferiority complex because of being an orphan at all. So many people love her very much.
- Always Someone Better: Annie loves her and at the same time envies her for being popular with guys and outspoken with her feelings.
- Attractive Bent-Gender: In her Bifauxnen disguise, Candy makes such an adorable Bishōnen that she even manages to almost make Eliza go Sweet on Polly Oliver. If only Eliza had not recognized Candy at the end...
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Terry. At first both always annoy and tease each other, but soon they like each other more and more.
- Break the Cutie: The whole series thrives on this. She comes close many times, but ultimately picks herself up.
- Doorstop Baby: She and Annie were left on the doorstep of Pony's house.
- Girlish Pigtails: Keeps her golden hair like this.
- Hair Decorations: Her red ribbons.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: As kind as she's blond.
- Heartwarming Orphan
- Hospital Hottie: Wants to become a nurse and works hard for it.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: She willingly breaks off with Terry, having realised not only that Susanna loved him deeply (probably more than Candy herself ever did), but that their love simply will not survive in the circumstances that they're in.
- Rags to Riches: Starts as an orphan girl. Becomes the "companion" of a Rich Bitch. Is adopted by a super ultra rich family despite the objections of others.
- Rebellious Princess: She wants to forge her own destiny without relaying on her adoptive family.
- Plucky Girl: Maybe the Trope Codifier for shoujo manga. When Candy breaks down, she gets up as soon as she can and refuses to stay down.
- Shipper on Deck: Ships Patty/Stear and Archie/Annie.
- Spirited Young Lady
- Sweet Polly Oliver: In the Boarding School's School Festival she's supposed to be locked in a room after a spat with the nuns, but her friends smuggle her a box with two disguises sent to her by Uncle William. And one of them is a boy outfit with a wig and a Cool Mask, which lets her escape.
- Tomboy with a Girly Streak: For all her tomboy traits, Candy is very motherly to the Pony Home kids and has no problems with dresses as long as they're not super elaborate.
- Tsundere: Type B. She's sweet, kind-hearted, compassionate... unless she's around Terry.
- What Beautiful Eyes: Has very, very pretty Green Eyes.
- Woman in White: Both as a schoolgirl and as a nurse.
- Youthful Freckles
Miss Pony and Sister Lane/MariaA kindly old lady and a nun who keep the Orphanage of Love afloat, becoming Candy's mother figures.
- Cool Old Lady: Miss Pony
- Good Shepherd: Sister Lane
- Nun Too Holy: Averted. Sister Lane is a kinda cute young nun, but she is pretty serious and wholesome.
- Parental Substitute: Both, for Candy and Annie and everyone in Pony's Home.
- Team Mom: Miss Pony. Sister Lane is a bit of a Team Dad.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: Dark-haired in the anime series, blonde elsewhere.
- Beta Couple: She and Archie
- Cassandra Truth: Sorta. Annie is the only one in the St. Paul School who shows worry over the news talking about the prospect of a world-wide war, but everyone else tells her to calm down and that nothing will happen. She's actually right.
- Hair Decorations: Like Candy, she uses hair ribbons. It becomes very important when Candy is framed for trying to hurt her by Neil and Eliza: Annie can't testify in her favor, but she manages to leave one of her hair ribbons to silently tell Candy that she believes in her innocence.
- Happily Adopted: By the Brightons. Subverted when, in a well-intentioned but ill-advised move, they make her cut off all ties with Candy so people won't know that she's adopted and ostracize her as a result — not only this deprives both girls of their mutual emotional support, but it doesn't help her to deal with her issues.
- Heart Warming Orphan: Played very straight when she's a little girl. When she arrives to St. Paul, however, the girl is so utterly terrified of being bullied because of this trope that she hides her origins from the other students at first. Not that it works for long, anyway.
- Expository Hairstyle Change: As a teenager, Annie sometimes pulls her hair up in a style that slightly looks like an old-fashioned noblewoman's wig.
- Romantic Two-Girl Friendship: She and Candy
- Shrinking Violet: Has severe self-esteem problems, and even when she begins to overcome them she remains very shy and quiet.
- Unrequited Tragic Maiden: Believes that she is this to Archie. She's wrong.
Thomas Steave alias TomAnother orphan from "Pony's Home", two or three years older than Candy and Annie. He and Candy stay friends through the years.
- Chekhov's Gunman: In the anime, he pretty much triggers the whole plot via being the only orphan child who notices that someone has left baby!Annie and baby!Candy in the doorstep of Pony Home. If not for Tom, the two baby girls would have likely frozen to death.
- Cowboy: Is adopted by a rich landowner and raised in his ranch.
- Ship Tease: Sometimes, as he and Candy grow up. He also shows some jealousy of Anthony when they meet, apparently guessing that he's most likely to end up as the Unlucky Childhood Friend. And his adoptive father wanted them to marry at some point. It doesn't go through, however.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Him and Candy, as children. Perfectly shown when, the day before Tom leaves the orphanage, he and Candy start hitting each other and Miss Pony has to separate them, but when Mr. Steave comes for him they say their goodbyes in peace.
JohnOut of all the kids from "Pony's home", he is the closest to Candy aside of Annie.
- Heartwarming Orphan
- Not Allowed to Grow Up: He pretty much never has a proper growth spurt through the years.
Voiced by: Sachiko ChijimatsuA kid that lands 'self in "Pony's Home" midway through the story.
ClintA white raccoon who lives near "Pony's Home" and becomes Candy's beloved pet
The Regan parentsThe leaders of a local rich family, a branch group from the VERY powerful local Andree clan. They take Candy in as a maid and a sort-of Lady-in-Waiting for their Spoiled Brat daughter.
- Adults Are Useless: Mr. Regan is almost never present.
- Rich Bitch: Ruth Regan. It's easy to see where Neil and Eliza got their nasty attitude... which she even encourages.
- Smug Snake: Ruth again.
Voiced by: Yumi NakataniThe whimsical daughter of the family Regan, a branch of the Audrey clan. Candy has been adopted so that Eliza gets a playmate, and ever since then she has done her best to break her.
- Ambiguously Brown: Her skin tone was noticeably darker than other girls's
- Alpha Bitch: Only rivaled in nastiness by Aya Misaki, Manami and Aki Honda. She is so haughty as if she is the lady in the family and as if those teenagers who are not her friends must obey her. Eliza often annoys Candy with her brother Neil, intends to harm her by intriguing and always insults and humiliates her by for example considering an orphan as a worthless being.
- Devil in Plain Sight: Somehow, no one seems to notice her constant smug smile and evil glare.
- Evil Redhead: In the anime movie.
- For the Evulz: There really is no other plausible explanation of her behaviour. She's just a cunt (sorry, but any other word would be an understatement).
- Jerkass: To say little because, as seen above, only expletives can describe her personality accurately.
- Karma Houdini: Frequently, and even in the end she never suffers any sort of permanent consequences.
- Laser-Guided Karma: While Eliza generally gets away with the shit she pulls, the times she does get karma-slapped tend to be rather spectacular. When she finds out that Candy is the boy she had danced with in the School Festival despite being supposed to be locked away, she tries to rat her out her to the nuns. However, Candy manages to return to the punishment cellar in time with some help from Terry — and the sisters not only let go of Candy, but they get Eliza grounded for "lying". And since Eliza was the one who got Candy punished in the first place, this makes it a definite example of this trope.
- Also, she once organizes a tea party to thank Terry for saving her life but doesn't invite Candy. Terry, Rebel Prince that he is, deliberately misses said meeting to hang out with Candy instead, greatly humiliating Eliza in front of her Girl Posse.
- The earliest instance takes place when she and Neil lock Candy away in the attic of the Andree's Big Fancy House. Not only the Andree boys find her and doll her up in a Pimped-Out Dress, but she and Anthony pull a Dance of Romance, which reduces Elisa into a sobbing mess.
- Noblewoman's Laugh
- Rescue Romance: Falls for Terry after he saves her life.
- Rich Bitch: One of the poster children of the trope along with her brother.
- Ojou Ringlets
- Smug Snake
- The Sociopath
- Spoiled Brat
- Villainous Crush: A brief one, on Terry. Since he's smitten with Candy instead, he doesn't give a crap and humiliates her for treating the girl he likes badly.
Voiced by: Kiyoshi Komiyama, Ryusei Nakao (OAV)The elder brother of Eliza. He's a typical playboy, villainous and cruel just as his sister, also brutal, gloating and cowardly.
- Ambiguously Brown: Like his twin older sister. And he's even darker than she is!
- Dirty Coward: Neil often does things due to Eliza pushing his buttons or pressuring him to. It's not enough to excuse him, though, as he follows her rather happily.
- Final Boss: Neil and his Villainous Crush on Candy is the last obstacle Candy faces before she earns her happy ending.
- Jerk With A Heart Of Jerk: At one point it looks like he may end up being decent after all, but nope, he only gets WORSE!
- Karma Houdini: Much like Eliza.
- Rich Bastard: One of the poster children of the trope along with his sister.
- Rescue Romance: One day Neal is almost thrashed by some guys of a street gang, but Candy saves him by beating them. Therefore he develops a Villainous Crush on her and even forces her to become engaged to him.
- Scarpia Ultimatum: Tries it on Candy, after a brief Hope Spot where the audience is almost led to believe that he might start getting better.
- Smug Snake
- The Sociopath
- Spoiled Brat
- Villainous Crush: Later he's revealed that this is what he actually feels for Candy.
Elroy Andree aka Great-Aunt ElroyThe apparent leader of the powerful Andree clan, whose authority is only limited by that of the never-seen "Uncle William". A very lawful and stuck-up woman who does her best to keep the clan in line.
- Ambiguously Brown
- Aristocrats Are Evil: More like "super ultra lawful and strict", which is pretty much an obsession to her.
- Grumpy Old Man: Female example.
- Parental Substitute: She raised her nephew Albert in stead of his dead parents.
- Rich Bitch: Not as utterly asshole-ish as the Regans, but still very bitchy and obsessed with the family honor.
Uncle William Andree aka William Albert Andree
Voiced by: Makio InoueThe actual boss of the Andree family, he is never ever seen but handles himself through letters and telegrams. He seems to be the only person who Elroy fears.
- Benevolent Boss: Sorta, to Candy.
- He Who Must Not Be Seen: Never ever appears. Until we find out who he actually is.
- The Patriarch: His authority over the Andree clan is absolute, and only he can stop Aunt Elroy's mean streak flawlessly.
- Dropped a Bridge on Him
- First Love: For Candy, who loves him because she's sure that he's her Prince of the Hill — despite how he says he isn't. And yeah, he's not. But she won't know it until the end.
- Flower Motifs: Roses. He even breeds a special type for Candy, dubing it "Sweet Candy Rose"
- Lonely Rich Kid: Unlike the more gregarious Cornwell boys, he's very shy and lonely.
- Nice Guy
- Rebel Prince: Attempts this in the anime, as he wants to join a riding contest but Elroy won't let him. Candy helps him with a small Batman Gambit where, with Tom and other kids's help, she tricks Aunt Elroy into thinking people are spreading Malicious Slander about the Andrees and Anthony wants to save their honor.
- Princely Young Man: Of the Gentleman type
- Stuffed into the Fridge
- Uptight Loves Wild
Alistair "Stear" Cornwell
Voiced by: Kaneta Kimotsuki (TV series), Masaya Onosaka (OAV)The eldest of the Cornwell brothers, and Anthony's cousin. He's outspoken, very booksmart and prone to accidents.
- Beta Couple: Him and Patty.
- Brainy Brunette
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Basically, a school-aged Absent-Minded Professor.
- Go Out with a Smile: Is smiling sadly as his plane is shot down in World War One.
- Fan Boy: He and Archie are big fans of the actress Eleanor Baker.
- Lennon Specs
- Princely Young Man: A dorkier version of the Prince Charming type.
- Rebel Prince: Later, when he joins the Air Forces to go into war despite Aunt Elroy banning him from it. It doesn't end well.
- Stuffed into the Fridge
Archibald "Archie" Cornwell
- Love Triangle: Likes Candy and is jealous of Terry. Annie likes him and she's conflicted and jealous of Candy. Terry is, well, Terry. Candy is oblivious at first, and later she feels horrible when she finds out how badly it affects Annie. It's fixed rather fast, however: when Candy explains the deal, Archie soon realizes that while he likes Candy a lot, Annie is the one he truly loves.
- Princely Young Man: The Gentleman type
- What the Hell, Hero?: Deals some of these to Terry, who is The Rival for him.
Albert aka William Albert Andree
Voiced by: Makio InoueA free-spirited man that crosses paths with Candy many, MANY times in the story.
- Big Brother Mentor: Not only to Candy, but to Terry as well.
- Friend to All Living Things: He loves animals, and they love him back. Specially his pet skunk.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold
- Just a Kid: The reason why he's not able to lead the Andree clan properly is that he's considered too young to do it. He decided to Take a Third Option and create the "Uncle William" persona instead.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy: Without his Badass Beard, he's as gorgeously bishonen as the other guys.
- Long-Lost Relative: Stear, Archie and Anthony's maternal uncle.
- Mysterious Protector: To Candy, as Uncle William.
- Prince Charming: The last episode of the series reveals he is the mysterious "Prince from the Hill".
- Rebel Prince
- Trauma-Induced Amnesia
- Uncanny Family Resemblance: Without his beard and Lennon Specs, he looks almost exactly like his nephew Anthony. A HUGE plot point since this is why Candy couldn't recognize him as her Prince: when they met he was clean shaved and with his hair cut short... but the second time, his looks were completely different.
Poope the skunk
Mr. GeorgeA butler for the Andrees, who sometimes takes care of Candy.
- Old Retainer: A somewhat younger version.
Sister Grace and Sister MargaretThe two nuns who run the St. Paul school. Sister Grace is the eldest and more serious one, whereas Sister Margaret is younger and somewhat easier to get along with.
- Good Shepherd: Sister Margaret
- Grumpy Old Man: Sister Grace is another example
- Reasonable Authority Figure: The serious and kind Sister Margaret, in contrast with...
- Stern Teacher: Sister Grace, who's VERY inflexible but doesn't relish in unnecessary cruelty to her pupils. But Heaven help them if she believes they have broken the rules.
Patricia "Patty" O'Brien
Voiced by: Chiyoko KawashimaCandy's roommate in the St. Paul school, a shy girl who starts developing a stronger side with her help.
- Birds of a Feather: She and Stear.
- Heroic BSOD: A massive one, when her beloved fiancè Stear dies in World War One.
- Ojou: Nice Girl type.
- Shrinking Violet
Marsha O'BrienPatty's cheerful, kinda thoughtless grandmother.
LouisaEliza's almost just as bitchy best friend in the school.
- Beta Bitch: To Eliza, as the only member of her Girl Posse who has something of a personality.
- Break the Haughty
- Hair Decorations: A blue hair bow
- Riches to Rags: Her family goes bankrupt and, as a result, she has to leave the very expensive and traditional Boarding School. Karma's a bitch, eh Louisa?
Terrence "Terry" Grandchester
Voiced by: Kei TomiyamaA handsome, solitary, unsociable and rebellious youth who does everything alone and pretends to be cool. Terrence meets Candy right before their arrival to the famous and respected St. Paul School in London.
- A Day in the Limelight: He gets a whole episode to himself in the anime, which explains his Dark and Troubled Past.
- All Girls Want Bad Boys: He's very rebellious and snarky to everyone, even the nuns. But the girls (Candy, Susanna, Eliza for a short while, and lots of fangirls in-story and in Real Life) adore him.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: With Candy. At first both always annoy and tease each other, but soon they like each other more and more.
- Bully Hunter: Who even whips Neil and his gang when they harrass Candy.
- But Not Too Foreign: Half-English, half-American
- Calling the Old Man Out: A HUGE and well-earned one, when the Earl refuses to help Candy when both she and Terry are in massive trouble due to Eliza's machinations. Terry then ditches St. Paul School to both pursue his acting career and to not cause Candy any more problems.
- Heroic Bastard: More exactly he is the product of an affair between an English lord and an American actress, so Terry's status in the high-class English society is very shaky in comparison to the children the Earl had with his lawful wife, who also is quite bitchy to Terry himself.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: His heart is in the right place most of the time, but his behavior is terrible — even when he is trying to do things right.
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy
- Pet the Dog: Protects Candy when no one else can, has a soft spot for Susanna.
- The Rival: He and Archie
- Take a Third Option: Between throwing Candy under the bus to save his position at Saint Paul's School and Taking the Heat for Candy and greatly dishonoring himself and the Granchesters Terry chose to... cut ties with his dad, drop out of Saint Paul and pursue his promising acting career in America.
- Tall, Dark and Snarky
- Troubled, but Cute
The Earl of GrandchesterA very rich nobleman who appears later in the story. He has his hands full with his legal wife and children and barely takes care of his eldest child Terry, conceived out of wedlock with an American woman.
Eleanor BakerA very beautiful and popular actress, and Terry's mother. She's the one he got his good looks AND acting ability from.
- Beauty Mark: Has one on her face
- Mysterious Parent: Terry's.
- Parental Neglect: She loves Terry deeply, but heavily priorises her career over her son.
- Teen Pregnancy: Implied, since Eleanor looks almost disturbingly young for the mother of a boy in his late teens and the Earl of Granchester looks notoriously older than she does.
- Walking Spoiler
Miss Mary JaneA good friend of Miss Pony and the owner of a famous nursing school. When Candy decides to forge her own destiny, she starts attending her school.
- Cool Old Lady
- Reasonable Authority Figure
- Stern Teacher: To Candy, Frannie and other would-be nurses.
- Trickster Mentor: Subjects Candy to more than one Secret Test of Character.
Frannie HamiltonCandy's roommate and foil in the nursing school, a young woman with a deeply wounded heart hidden under her lawful and cold facade.
- Aloof Dark-Haired Girl: Tall, dark-haired and rather cold and snippy.
- Broken Bird
- Dark and Troubled Past
- Ice Queen
- Meganekko: Subverted, she's much colder than the standard.
- Put on a Bus: More exactly, she becomes a war nurse and leaves to Europe.
- Ill Girl: But as Candy finds out, it's psychosomatic - due to her very pushy Stage Mom, who's forcing her to become a piano player despite the girl's dislike of classical music. Once said mom actually realises what's going on and apologizes to Catherine, she starts to get better
- Big Friendly Dog: He has one, a sweet Saint Bernard named Mienna. When he passes away, she goes live in the Pony Home.
- Cool Old Guy
- Distracted from Death: Candy was having a nice chat with McDermott, then she went to attend other matters. When she returned, he had passed away
Voiced by: Koko KagawaA promising and very pretty actress, her partner is Terrence G. Grandchester. Susanna also has feelings for Terrence, as well as deep insecurities about what she means for him.
- An Arm and a Leg: Loses one of her legs when she's crushed by a falling lamp after saving Terry from being hit by it.
- Black Mail: Not from her, but from her overprotective mother. Mrs. Marlowe tries to manipulate Terry into marrying Susanna since she blames him for the loss of her daughter's career (and she has a good point about it, but Susanna herself ends up rejecting the deal later).
- Break the Cutie: This girl goes through HORRIBLE hardships in a very short time span.
- Career-Ending Injury: She lost her leg due to her pulling a Diving Save to rescue Terry from a falling lamp post, which ended up ruining her career.
- The Cutie: She starts as a naive, shy girl...
- Clingy Jealous Girl: But not as much as the Fan Dumb likes to think she is. She tends to be more passive-aggressive than outwardly aggressive.
- Despair Event Horizon: Having lost her leg, her beloved Terry and her lifelong dream of being an actress, she crosses it and tries to throw herself off a building during a massive snow storm. Candy refuses to let her do so.
- Hair Decorations: Her hair is tied in place with a red bow.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: A sweet, if naive young girl with wavy blond hair.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Non-lethal version, since due to her pulling a Diving Save to rescue Terry from a falling lamp post, she lost her leg and her career. It's even lampshaded by Candy:Candy: "She... she loves him so much! Her love is so strong that she sacrificed herself for him!"
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Subverted. She decides to let Terry go, explicitely saying that she doesn't want to be a burden on him, but he decides otherwise and, after making peace with Candy, stays by her side.
- Insecure Love Interest: Terry's.
- Shrinking Violet: To a degree.
- Tragic Dream: She was quite well on her way to theatrical stardom, and then shit happened.
- Unrequited Tragic Maiden: Has all the signs of being one for Terry. But he stays by her.