Infestation is a 2009 Horror B-Movie, about a group of people trying to survive when their city is taken over by giant insects. It was made by Mel Gibson's Icon entertainment.The origin of the bugs is not clearly explained, although it seems they came on a meteorite that landed in Colorado. They use a sonic scream that stuns humans, who are then put in cocoons and fed on. Some victims, however, get stung, which eventually turns them into human-insect hybrid monsters.The main character is a telemarketer named Cooper, who helps lead a group to the home of his father, a paranoid ex-military man who is apocalypse-ready.
Provides examples of:
- A Fate Worse Than Death: Turning into a "drone".
- Brown Note: Some of the insects can use sonics to disable humans.
- Crazy Survivalist: More like a Retired Badass, but close enough.
- Deus ex Machina: It was very convenient how the gas in the bug's hive was highly flammable. Also, that the Queen summoned its minions for help just before being blown up (so they died with her.)
- Handicapped Badass:
- The deaf guy. He was the only one immune to the sonic effect after his hearing aid broke.
- Technically, the bugs themselves- they are blind, and are attracted by sound.
- Heroic Sacrifice
- Hive Queen
- No Bikes in the Apocalypse: Subverted; the heroes commandeer some police bicycles when going to the hive.
- Properly Paranoid: More than one example, though it often isn't enough.
- The Swarm
- Survival Horror
- The Unreveal: The movie ends with the survivors suddenly hearing a rumbling sound but we never see what it is.
- "Well Done, Son!" Guy: Cooper just wants his dad to say he isn't a loser.