Afraid of Monsters is a fantasy/humour webcomic by Kat Ozkosar about one young Allen Alechem, a lad whose main concerns are his upcoming physics exam, not hurting himself, and generally being frightened by more or less everything. Cue his surprise (and abject terror) when his looker of an aunt, Grace, brings him to stay at a new... school! One... populated entirely by monsters!
Oh, and did we mention that he's also a monster? Grace didn't, apparently.
Well, at least he won't have to worry about that physics exam, anymore.
(Not at all related to the video game, Afraid of Monsters.)
This comic provides examples of:
- All There in the Manual: The comic has a cast listing, which reveals the character's name and species, and ask blog, which reveals more details about the world.
- Amazing Technicolor Population: Most of the characters have extremely bold coloration not limited by your standard palette of natural tones (and are surprisingly color coordinated, with their skin, hair and eyes matching their clothing to a fair degree.)
- Cast of Snowflakes: Thirty some-odd characters, most of them different species with wildly varying looks and coloration.
- Exotic Eye Designs: Wilde, the beast, has one eye that has a squiggly pupil. Trudy, the gremlin, has pupils resemble barcodes.
- Fantasy Kitchen Sink: Angels, demons, vampires, harpies, sirens, ghouls, ghosts, dragons and telepaths among others.
- Holy Halo: Matthew has one of these, being an angel and all. It's one of the more modern 'floating ring above the head' types.
- No Pronunciation Guide: "Pukis". According to Word of God, it's pronounced "Poo-keys".
- Our Angels Are Different / Our Demons Are Different: Angels and Demons are both members of the same species: Cruxians. We have yet to see a demon. Matthew, the angel we see, is a Winged Humanoid with a halo and tail with a Third Eye on it. Although according to Matthew, some angels don't have the Third Eye. Angels also may or may not cry blood.
- Our Dragons Are Different: So far, we have been introduced to three types of dragons: spindle, wyvern and pukis. They have the ability to assume human forms. In their human form, their hair usually has horn-like spikes.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Henry Hallow is cold and aloof where as Tib Tigris is energetic and friendly.
- The Reptilians: The Reptilians resemble green humans with green hair. Also, their "skin" may or may not be scales.
- Single Specimen Species: A weird example. Many species appear and are said to have multiple members. However, we only see one member. There are a handful of exceptions such as the Reptilians and Boogeymen.
- Speech Bubbles: All of the characters have speech bubbles that are colored in some way to resemble the character speaking (though not necessarily the same way, Katzen and Sarah have speech bubbles that resemble their general coloration, for instance, while Ingot's is specifically colored like their eyes.)
- Shout-Out: Tigris references The Fly and Carrie while talking to Allen.
- Later on, Nurse Dexter mentions how she wants to prevent a "head-burst scifi horror scene [sic]".
- The Undead: There are several types of undead creatures:
- There are at least two types of ghosts: phantoms and poltergeists. They both have phasing powers. The difference isn't really explained. To confuse things further, Christine (one of the poltergeists) seems constantly discharge electricity, but Simon (the other poltergeist) doesn't.
- Ghouls are animated corpses. They look and act like (albeit oddly colored) humans. Ghouls seem to more along the lines of a Revenant Zombie.