Precious Plum is a series of videos by CollegeHumor. It is an exaggerated parody of Here Comes Honey Boo Boo, and focuses on the escapades of Mama and Plum Miller, who often get themselves into life-threatening situations, which are played for laughs. While the series started as a direct parody, it started to have more fun with its own characters and took the stories in their own direction.
The series continues with a web series See Plum Run, in which twelve-year-old Plum tries to run for Student Body President after the Millers move to an upper-class suburban neighborhood and Plum gets into prep school.
Tropes applying to the series include:
- Abusive Parents: Plum and Mama have a clearly dysfunctional relationship, and Mama does some terrible things to her. All of these are mostly accidents, though, and Mama does try to help and seems to genuinely love Plum in her own way. However, she apparently tries to get rid of her, as when Plum gets lost, the note she's given (and told to give to an adult) reads "keep it?"
- Analogy Backfire: Mama's encouragement to Plum in the gator pit.Mama: Do it like one of those karate fail videos...except the opposite!'''
- Bat Out of Hell: Plum's pet bat named Dog, which flies around and bites her.
- Bait-and-Switch: When Mama needs to fight a gator to win money.*Mama dramatically removes jacket*Mama (to Plum): Plum, put this on and get in there with that gator.
- Big Eater: Mama. In "A Blood Drive", she donates blood multiple times, to the point of near-death, because she gets a free cookie each time she donates.
- Catchphrase: Mama has "fuck a bag" — said in extremely bad, difficult or interesting situations. It has variations like "fuck a big, big bag" or "fuck a fancy bag".
- Comedic Sociopathy: An offscreen example with the film crew. They never intervene and don't seem to care what happens to Plum and Mama. This is lampshaded in two episodes.
- Crazy-Prepared: Mama thinks she's this in regards to tornadoes, but her provisions are a mountain of band-aids, a shelf of milk she's been collecting for months, and a cannon.
- Demonic Possession: When Plum gets red spots all over her, Mama thinks she "swallowed a gremlin" and got possessed, and needs a "holy man" to get the demon out of her. It was only chicken pox, as a drive-thru worker easily identifies.
- Grossout Show: The humor is entirely crass and vulgar, so gross-out humor is a big part of the comedy.
- The Key Is Behind the Lock: Mama and Plum get locked out of their car once Plum's pet bat causes them to hurriedly get out.
- Malaproper: Mama.
- "I believe in holis-hom-homo-holocau-omelettes. Natural medicines."
- "I'm a vuluptuopotamus woman."
- Never Smile at a Crocodile: One episode revolves around a gator fight, which is concluded via grenade.
- No Name Given: Mama's name is never stated in the original series, but See Plum Run mentions that her name is Blueberry, and that she and Plum have the last name Miller.
- Noodle Incident:
- All of the clips that take place in the intros depict events that aren't shown in the episodes.
- Apparently, people have been crushed in cars before, but the worker doesn't mention more.
- N-Word Privileges: Parodied in "A Biker Shop". Mama mistakes "Nigeria" and "Brown" as offensive, claiming that they're "their word".
- Pedo Hunt: All of the pageants are explicitly pedophilic in nature, to reflect the uncomfortable overtones of real-world pageants. For instance, only the names of the competitions are disturbing: Little Miss Tiny Tits, Little Miss Skittle Nips, Little Miss Missing Pubes, Miss Tallahassee Tiny Hussy, Ohio Ho, KILF, or Little Miss Six to Eight Means Twenty to Life.
- Running Gag: Funny names of real places where the sketchy beauty contests take place: Dildo in Canada, Butts in Georgia, Dicktown in New Jersey, Chunky in Mississippi or Hell in Michigan.
- Shout-Out: There's a dual reference to Star Wars when Mama finds the Good Sword. At first, she says she feels like "Darf Vader" and pretends it's a lightsaber, but it leads to the parent cutting of their child's hand.
- The Teaser: Subverted. While clips do appear in the intro of each episode, the context is never shown.
- Too Dumb to Live: Mama is a total idiot who gets herself and her daughter in serious situations, and it's a wonder they are still alive. They do get themselves in very serious situations. For example, Mama cuts off Plum's hand with a "good sword", they go for a swim in a lake filled with toxic waste, Mama hits a hospital wall in a car, sends Plum to fight a gator, tries to pull out Plum's loose tooth with a car, and so on.