This is where the player jumps in. Taking control of Ayumi and her two swords which can also shoot and takes on hordes of enemies, finds various small artifacts to boost Ayumi's powers and generally escape from death traps. Along the way she meets a guy named Jay who then and when helps her in battle. His forte is light magic, which is either a blessing or not for the by now cursed Ayumi. What happens to him depends on your choice of magic.
X-Blades was developed in 2009 by the Russian developer Gaijin Entertainment (yes, that Gaijin of War Thunder) based on the game Oni Blade, to which it is mostly an update in terms of graphics and gameplay. Blades of Time, also made by Gaijin Entertainment is something of a spiritual successor with the inclusion of a Time Control mechanic. It was released for Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 on February 6th, 2009, and for PC on February 9th, 2009.
Tropes present in X-Blades:
- Action Girl: Ayumi, oh so much. She can kick some asses with her Dual Wielding blades (see below), spells and some acrobatic skills.
- Animesque: Ayumi, beginning with her name and ending with her huge eyes, nice face, nice body and skimpy clothing. The FMV scenes up the ante a bit as well by looking decidedly more drawn. Particularly curious since the game is Russian
- Dark-Skinned Blonde: Ayumi have a light brown skin and blonde hair.
- Dramatically Missing the Point: On the opening sequence, the shop owner doesn't notice the spawning demons until it's too late.
- Dual Wielding: Ayumi, wielding two gun-slash-blade hybrid. Successive upgrades make it larger.
- Healing Factor: The standard one where Ayumi stands still and slowly heals herself. It is accelerated a lot when she cleared a level.
- An Ice Person: Ayumi can learn ice spells (among other elements).
- Jiggle Physics: Ayumi's breasts bounce when she runs or jump. She also provide a non-fanservice example of this trope: her hair waves at every movement.
- Nice Guy: Jay rescues Ayumi, then suggests to lift her curse, before even really knowing her name.
- Playing with Fire: Fireballs, swords on fire and more.
- RPG Elements: You increase Ayumi's powers by buying spells with souls and finding items. Healing her actually costs souls, not "rage".
- Shock and Awe: Lightning skills are quite effective against spiders later on.
- Stripperiffic: Ayumi's initial outfit is a small white bikini top, an equally-sized thong and what might appear to be trousers cut down and outfitted with small armour plates and... that's it.
- Summon Magic: Enemies summon enemies. You however cannot.
- Swiss Army Weapon: The X-Blades are guns and swords in one.
- Weapon of Choice: Literally. According to the backstory, Ayumi's swords are an artifact that forms a weapon based on what the wielder's personality is like.
- "X" Marks the Hero: Played with, by Ayumi taking an X pose with her blades on one of the covers.