- TV Tropes may ruin your life but at least they're honest about it.
Hello there. The name's BackSet1 or just BackSet (My preferred pronouns are He/Him though They/Them works too), Asexual Aromantic, Furry, Tabletop Gaming Enthusiast, and Amateur Screenwriter. I enjoy creative writing and video games. I especially like Kirby, as you may be able to tell.
I also write fanfiction with my current ongoing fic being Fire Emblem: Three Houses: Fifth Path. I made a page for it because I'm a narcissist.note
Other fanfiction I've written:
- You Can Call him Agent P (Franchise/Pokemon) [One-Shot]
- What if BackSet Wrote a Zelda Crack Fic (The Legend of Zelda) [One-Shot]
- Lightning's Lament (Ninjago) [One-Shot]
- Sentinels and Marvels (Sentinels of the Multiverse/Marvel Comics) [Ongoing, really slow to update]
I am also one of the many contributors to the grand list of Things Bob is Not Allowed to do on TV Tropes. And one if the few contributors to its trope page.
Also, also I have a YouTube channel and a Tumblr Blog. The latter's only for shitposts, though.
Tropes that Apply to me
- The Anti-Nihilist: I think Existential Horror is boring, find nihilists obnoxious (though wingedcatgirl tells me they're more childish than obnoxious due to technically lacking an understanding of nihilism. To put it another way, Nihilism is to Anti-Nihilism as Communism is to Marxist Communism) and believe that while there may be no meaning in life that just means we have to make some. No one can tell you what your purpose is, that's something you have to come up with yourself.
- Asexuality: I'm Asexual and Aromantic, specifically of the sex repulsed kind, and have no interest in sexual or romantic relationships with anyone, regardless of gender.
- Attention Deficit Creator Disorder: In addition, and possibly as an extension of, my ADHD I have a hard time focusing on just one writing project.
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!: I have quite a bit of trouble focusing due to my ADHD.
- Author Appeal: Admittedly, most things that happen in my writing are because I like them.
- Autism: I suffer from High Functioning Autism. It sucks.
- Berserk Button: There are admittedly quite a few things that will set me off:
- Catcher in the Rye.
- Christmas songs. Except for Feliz Navidad and that parody song from Straight No Chaser.
- Tea in certain contexts (for example, talking about Tea Time in Fire Emblem: Three Houses is fine but suggesting that I should drink tea or extolling its virtues to me is not)
- Yoshi and Diddy Kong. With my dying breath I shall curse those who main them to eternal damnation.
- Catchphrase: I have many:
- My most notable one is "Poyo" which also does double duty as a Verbal Tic.
- "Anyway," Used at the beginning of a paragraph as a transition.
- "Now I'm imagining [Thing I'm Imagining]." And many variations thereof.
- "Gouge my eyes out with a spoon." In response to surpreme stupidity.
- "I did/did not/will/will not do that thing."
- "I'm gonna die." Even when it's not appropriate to the situation. Especially when it's not appropriate to the situation.
- "Who am I to question [celebrity]."
- That's [adjective]! Well, not really [same adjective], but [same adjective again].
- "I, too, [thing I agree with or also want to take part in]."
- "And you can quote me on that." Generally this comes after I make a statement or opinion that I will firmly stand by. And you can quote me on that.
- "I'd watch/read/play that." When someone suggests a show/movie/book/game/etc idea that they think is bad but I think is good.
- "That's Fair."
- "That is true," "This is Accurate," and "Accurate."
- "Mmm... don't like that."
- Character Tic: When I'm annoyed or tired I tend to slick my hair back.
- Commitment Anxiety: Oh so much. I have extreme difficulty committing to projects. Overlaps with Attention Deficit Creator Disorder above.
- Cross Player: I usually play female characters when I play video games.
- Dangerous 16th Birthday: Thankfully averted but I was worried this would be the case in the leadup to my 16th birthday.
- Deadpan Snarker: I can't resist indulging in a bit of smartass-ery every now and then.
- Does Not Like Spam: Tea and Potatoes (minus french fries and chips).
- Everybody Hates Mathematics: I despise math, not helped by my dyscalculia.
- Expospeak Gag: I sometimes like to describe simple things using more complex words. For example, right now I am modifying an article describing characteristics of myself.
- Fourth-Wall Observer: I tend to treat everything like a TV Show.
- Furry Fandom: Maybe I am but you can't prove anything.
- The Gadfly: I sometimes like to be a jerk to people for no reason. Particularly, don't tell me you don't like a thing unless it is explicitly a Trigger cause I will spend the next few minutes doing nothing but that thing.
- Hates Being Touched: Unless I initiate it myself, I hate physical contact of any sort and people who touch me tend to get hurt.
- Hero of Another Story: On TV Tropes I'm just another background Troper. Most people probably don't know my name. But regardless I still have many adventures of my own, mostly on other forums.
- Immune to Fate: Like I say in Screw Destiny below, no fate can contain me. Regardless of my feelings on Goh, there is one thing he's right about, the future is in the palm of my hand!
- Implausible Deniability: Let's be honest, who am I fooling with the whole "Only maybe a furry" thing. For goodness sake look at my very own page image.
- Late to the Punchline: Ironically, the punchline I was late to was the image on Late to the Punchline.
- Like Is, Like, a Comma: I, like, use the word like a lot. I wasn't even trying to be self demonstrating on purpose.
- Literalist Snarking: My favorite kind. I just really love engaging in this.
- Little Bit Beastly: I'm not but I wish I was. I mean, how cool would it be to have a tail?
- Not Distracted by the Sexy: I have a long history of ignoring sexual parts of images in favor of more mundane aspects.
- Older Than They Look: I'm often told that I look younger without my glasses on.
- Paralyzing Fear of Sexuality: Generally speaking, I find the concepts of sex and things relating to sex to be disgusting.
- Perfectly Cromulent Word: I made up the word "Hmm'd" as a dialogue tag for when characters say, well, "Hmmm..."
- In general I just love doing these. I recently made up the word "Page-ification" and several variants thereof such as "Page-ify" and "Page-ified."
- Prone to Sunburn: I burn really easily due to my extremely pale skin.
- Running Gag
- I always include a nickname for Hitler in quotation marks between his first and last name whenever I talk about him.
- When Alexander the Great comes up I usually substitute "Great" with a more mild term like "Pretty Okay" or "Adequate".
- Screw Destiny: I find the idea of fate and prophecy to be dumb. Who are you to tell me what my future will be. I will admit it's a useful storytelling device, though characters who also prefer to Screw Destiny are infinitely cooler to me.
- Self-Deprecating Humor: I tend to be rather down on myself with jokes.
- Snarky Non-Human Sidekick: Sometimes the Goddess Sothis accompanies me in my posts and she's full of snark. Don't ask why, it just kind of happened.
- Sophisticated as Hell: I have a habit of saying big words and then calling someone a massive prick in the same sentence.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Me and my irl friends are constantly sniping at each other.
- I also like to think of myself as pretty good friends with Archsage and we make fun of each other all the time.
- Verbal Tic: I tack poyo on both the beginning and ending of my sentences a lot. Poyo.
- I also tend to begin sentences with "Right" as well as "I mean" and "to be fair."
- I frequently prefix sentences with "Related" or "Unrelated" when changing topics in a conversation.
I am also a proud researcher and contributor to The Pokédex - Extended Fanon Edition and have written several articles.
Articles I've written
Other things I like and will likely gush/complain about (in no particular order)
- The Legend of Zelda
- Marvel Cinematic Universe
- Star Wars
- Sentinels of the Multiverse
- Fire Emblem: Three Houses and Fire Emblem Heroes (just those two, though)
- Mass Effect
- Wings of Fire
- Super Smash Bros.
- The Order of the Stick
- Friendship is Dragons
- Guardians of the Galaxy (2021)
- Kaguya-sama: Love Is War
- SCP Foundation
- The Backrooms, specifically the Wikidot.
- Percy Jackson and the Olympians
Tropes that apply to Sothis (or at least, this version of her)
- Color-Coded Speech: You know she's speaking cause she talks in green.
- Deadpan Snarker: Almost as sarcastic as me.
- Fourth-Wall Observer: She's aware she's fictional and is perfectly willing to make references to that fact.
- The Gadfly: Loves to make fun of people, particularly me and Byleth.
- Little Miss Almighty: She's not just a goddess, she's the goddess and she created all life on Fodlan.
- Really 700 Years Old: Like her canon self, she is actually a 700 year old Goddess.
Insert funny stinger here.