One night, the Gaulish village is visited by two Averni chieftains, Monolithix and Sidekix, who were lieutenants to Vercingetorix up to the fateful battle of Alesia and thus good acquaintances of Vitalstatistix. To everyone's surprise, they have a young girl in their company who is revealed to be Adrenalin, Vercingetorix's daughter. She and her companions were sent away just before the final battle in order to carry on the fight against the Romans, with Vercingetorix's torc to identify her as his successor as a symbol of resistance. However, Julius Caesar has learned of her existence and wishes to have her taken captive and re-educated to the Roman ways; as a result, the Romans are hunting her, led by a Gaulish traitor named Binjwatchflix, a former scout for Vercingetorix who felt unappreciated by his leader and now serves the Romans. Consequently, the two chieftains took Adrenalin to the village, the only place avoided by the Romans, to keep her safe until they can relocate her to Britain, where the Romans will not expect to find her.
Vitalstatistix agrees to safeguard the girl, telling only Asterix, Obelix, Getafix, Impedimenta and Geriatrix about her origins, although the latter two swiftly make the whole village know. Asterix and Obelix are assigned as her bodyguards; but Adrenalin, in her teenage years, is rebellious and self-reliant, and quickly becomes weary of the ways of the village's adults while at the same time making friends with the younger generation, particularly Selfipix and Blinix, the eldest sons of Fulliautomatix and Unhygienix respectively. Soon, she decides to run away from her role as a figurehead of war, and her new friends help her sneak out of the village.
However, Binjwatchflix has managed to track down Adrenalin and puts the surrounding Roman garrisons on alert. During the chaotic search between the Gauls, the Romans and Binjwatchflix for her, Adrenalin comes across two of the Pirates collecting fresh water and, to Redbeard's consternation, commandeers their ship in order to sail to Thule and live her own life in peace. However, Asterix and Obelix spot the pirate ship sailing away and take up pursuit, along with Selfipix, Blinix and Dogmatix; and additionally, Binjwatchflix has stowed away on the ship. In a rapid sequence of events, the Gauls and Pirates are forced to contend with Adrenalin's stubborness and a Roman galley attacking them, and amidst the fighting Binjwatchflix grabs the girl and the torc and entrenches himself in the pirate ship's lookout post. Obelix simply rips out the mast, causing the ship to sink and dropping Binjwatchflix and Adrenalin into the water. As he tries to get into the boat the Gauls have come in, Binjwatchflix drops the torc, which sinks to the bottom of the sea. Determined not to be thwarted, Binjwatchflix jumps overboard to swim to shore, but is unknowingly followed by a shark, leaving his fate in doubt.
Once safely back in the village, Adrenalin openly defies Monolithix and Sidekix, wishing to be no part of their rebellion. However, the Averni soon find that one of their warriors is wearing Vercingetorix's ceremonial helmet and so make him the new figurehead of their resistance. After giving her blessing to Asterix's village as Vercingetorix's true successors, Adrenalin departs for Thule, but eventually ends up at another, multi-ethnically inhabited island. The Gauls and their Averni guests end the story with their traditional feast.
Tropes present in this work:
- Agony of the Feet: The scene of Vercingetorix throwing his weapons on Caesars foot when he surrendered is shown again, as well as Caesar getting his foot bandaged up afterwards.
- The Alcoholic: Because they stole a large supply of wine from Ekonomikrisis, the majority of the pirates spend the entire story being drunk.
- Boulder Bludgeon: Obelix throws a menhir at Fulliautomatix and Unhygienix to break up an argument. It doesnt work.
- Calling the Old Man Out: After the adventure at sea, Adrenalin calls out Monolithix and Sidekix for only caring about her Torc, and not her as a person.
- The Cameo: Ekonomikrisis the merchant. He only appears briefly on 2 panels when Asterix and Obelix pass by his ship.
- Catch and Return: Done by Asterix, with an arrow Binjwatchflix shot at him.
- Cool Old Guy: Geriatrix gets his moment to shine this story. He violently attacks Binjwatchflix with his cane when the latter has Adrenalin trapped, and calls him out on his betrayal. It doesnt last long though as the much younger and bigger Binjwatchflix easily overpowers him, but by then Adrenalin has already escaped.
- Conflict Ball: Adrenalin considers herself a living version of this, as her lineage of being the daughter of Vercingetorix while wearing his torc manages to always cause everyone around her to take up arms and fight one another.
- Continuity Nod:
- Several to Asterix and the Chieftain's Shield. People are still reluctant to mention Vercingetorix and his loss in the battle of Alesia. Also, a flashback once again shows Vercingetorix throwing his weapons on Caesars foot when he surrendered.
- Like in Asterix and the Normans, it is mentioned that teenagers actually like Cacofonix songs.
- Every Episode Ending: As usual, the story ends with a large feast, while Cacofonix is being tied up. Slightly different than usual; he is being tied up by children, and for once doesnt seem to mind.
- Exact Eavesdropping: A villainous example, Binjwatchflix is in the right place and time to overhear Adrenalin planning to run off that night.
- Fiery Redhead: Adrenalin. Shes a Tomboy who outright states her dislike for girl clothes, and is known to run off from her caretakers, and manages to get Redbeard and his crew to take her with them.
- Historical In-Joke: Brutus, when told by Caesar he wont be getting an adoptive sister (Adrenalin) soon, says hes not much of a one for family, while holding a knife.
- I Just Want to Be Normal: Adrenalin hates the fact that everybody is after her just because she happens to be Vercingetorix' daughter and has his torc.
- Living MacGuffin: Adrenalin. The whole plot resolves around Caesar wanting to capture her, and the heroes having to defend her. She comes with a more regular MacGuffin: her Torc.
- The Mole: Binjwatchflix during the battle of Alesia. He informed Caesar that Vercingetorix had a daughter whom he send away to safety.
- The Mutiny: Adrenalin successfully pulls one of against Redbeard when she reveals her plans to go to Thule, something the other pirates instantly agree with. She doesnt get to enjoy it for long since a Roman ship immediately shows up.
- Not So Innocent Whistling: Done by Asterix when he and Obelix try to discreetly keep an eye on Adrenalin.
- Remember the New Guy?: Both Fulliautomatix and Unhygienix are revealed to have teenage sons, whom we never saw before.
- Retcon: Brutus was revealed to be back at Julius Caesar's side despite being supposedly banished for causing the events of Asterix and Son. Even if it's handwaved by having his banishment be over, this makes Julius Caesar dumb as bricks due to allowing Brutus to stay by his side even after his attempt to murder Caesarion.
- Running Gag:
- People not knowing who Vercingetorix is, or that he had a daughter.
- People either refusing to say Vercingetorix name, or only whisper it.
- Obelix trying to get Dogmatix to seek Adrenalin, even when they are in a boat in the middle of the ocean.
- Lookout complaining about someone stealing his position whenever a character hides in the crows nest.
- Binjwatchflix to binge watching and Netflix.
- Selfipix (Or Selfix in french) to selfies.
- Selfipix also makes a helmet resembling a baseball cap (and actually names it as such), which he claims you can wear backwards.
- Speech Impediment: Both Monolithix and Sidekix have an accent. For example, they pronounce The Romans have been searching for her ever since as The Romanj have been shearching for her ever shinshe.
- Third Time's the Charm: For the pirates when it comes to robbing Ekonomikrisis the merchant. They tried to do this in two previous stories, but both of those times Asterix and Obelix where there to defend Ekonomikrisis. This time, the poor guy was not so lucky.
- Threatening Shark: The last we see of Binjwatchflix is him being stalked by a shark as he swims away.