Songify your favorite videos
Original songs and musicals
Making the news tolerable
And other stuff too
The Gregory Brothers are a comedy music group, also known by their YouTube channel name "schmoyoho". They went viral in 2009 with the debut of their series Auto-Tune the News, which was eventually renamed Songify the News. They followed up this with tunes "songifying" political debates, movies, and memes. They've also produced original songs, sometimes collaborating with musicians like "Weird Al" Yankovic, Blondie, JonTron, and Roomie.
Tropes applying to The Gregory Brothers:
- Anthropomorphic Food: Roomie in "Pizza Love" sees a woman as a slice of pizza, and she later sees him as a taco.
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: In "Dead Fish Handshake", the singer says Steve wrecked by life by taking his girl, his job, and his last pizza slice.
- Auto-Tune: All of their songs employ this.
- Band of Relatives: Evan, Michael and Andrew Gregory are brothers, and Sarah is Evan's wife.
- Bird-Poop Gag: Happens to the woman in the "SDGAF" segment of "Love Is Like Drugs", but naturally she doesn't care. JonTron later notices it and smells fecal matter.
- Butterfly of Doom: The singer in "Dead Fish Handshake" goes back in time to kill Adolf Hitler with his cringey handshake, and says that he'll soon cease to exist because of the butterfly effect.
- Creator Cameo: Captain Sparklez has a cameo in "Creeper, Aw Man by Obama".
- Dark Reprise: "Bad Hombres, Nasty Women" of "FINAL DEBATE SONGIFIED". The changes in the actual arrangements are fairly subtle - some indeterminate electric organ chords layered over, some open fifths in the vocal arrangement changed to minor thirds, use of Weird Al's heavier voice for the moderator, and a slower flow used for Clinton vs. Trump compared to Obama vs. Romney. The nastier, more vicious tone of the IRL 2016 election fills in the rest of the detail.
- Exhort the Disc Jockey Song: Played for Laughs in "DJ Play My Song (No Leave Me Alone)", where the DJ keeps trying to explain that he doesn't take requests and the music is already as loud as it will go.
- The Generation Gap: "Millennials Are Killing Everything" riffs off of article headlines describing how millennials are ruining just about everything.
- Gibberish of Love: The premise of "Herp de Derp" is about being awkward when encountering around loved ones.
- Glasses Pull: Michael does this in "Winning", revealing another pair of glasses.
- Greeting Gesture Confusion: In the music video for "Love Is Like Drugs", JonTron has to decide whether his girlfriend will give him a hug or a bro handshake.
- The Internet Is for Porn: The premise of "Bowsette (Everything On The Internet Is Sexy)", though it's downplayed in the music video, which showcases lots of Fanservice.
- It Is Pronounced "Tro-PAY": Their outro song says, "schmoyoho, accent on the yo."
- Love at First Sight: In the music video for "Pizza Love", Roomie is at a party and sees a woman personified as a slice of pizza and instantly falls in love.
- Love Is a Drug: "Love is like Drugs" is this, mixed with Dissimile.Being in love is like being on drugs, without the potential brain damage
- Love Makes You Dumb: "Herp de Derp" combines this with Gibberish of Love.
- Naked People Are Funny: Evan occasionally makes an appearance as a shameless streaker, while those around him react with minor annoyance.
- Nature Hero: In "Chicken Attack", Takeo Ischi is a man in an opera outfit who has "the power of nature and can bend every beast and tree to his will", which he uses to transform chickens into ninja warriors to fight evil ninjas.
- No Social Skills: The characters in "Herp de Derp" say they're "extremely socially inept".
- Reference Overdosed: Their "YouTube SchmoWind 2018" series have lots of memes.
- Rhyming with Itself: In "DJ Play My Song (NO, LEAVE ME ALONE)", the singer rhymes "up" with "up", which the DJ lampshades.
- Shoddy Knockoff Product: In "Pizza Love", Roomie gets "Paper Towélss®", which are "not paper towels and function with 85% less absorption." Roomie and the pizza woman take to the streets to raise awareness against these knock-offs.
- String Theory: Sarah has one in "Spooky Girls Just Wanna Have Fun", which she uses to schedule when she's going to kidnap people and play charades with them.
- Stupid Statement Dance Mix:
- Sucks at Dancing: In "DJ Play My Song (No, Leave Me Alone)", the DJ criticize the singer's dancing.
- Take That!: Most of their political songs include digs at politicians. For example, Hillary Clinton gets her own diss track and Trump goes crazy when his teleprompter breaks down.
- Taking the Bullet: In "Pizza Love", Roomie jumps in front of somebody who spills a beer to save his Love at First Sight.
- Theme Tune Extended: To celebrate getting the 3 million subscribers, they released "The Full Schmoyoho Song", which expands on their outro song.
- Uncanny Valley Girl: "Spooky Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" has Sarah nonchalantly kidnapping the Gregory Brothers to bring them to her party.
- Voice Clip Song: They make quite a few of these in Songify the Movies.