Mmmmmmm... popcorn. It's delicious, it's buttery and salty (or another flavor, if you wish) and it's fun to see and hear it pop as you prepare it.
But be careful! Don't leave it unattended, make sure the cover is on whatever you're using to pop with, and don't use too many kernels. Failure to do so would leave you with a huge, popcorn-y mess.
Writers like to take popcorn popping to the extreme since, Truth in Television, popcorn does expand once it's popped. And hey, it doesn't even matter what kind of corn is getting heated up (or the condition of the corn); it's going to pop either way.
Expect a a big explosion if the popcorn is contained inside something as it's popping. Compare Impossible Leavening which is also about food going all over the place; and Pass the Popcorn, where a character is seen eating popcorn as they watch something happen. May even overlap if the popcorn they're eating is part of the mess.
- In Chicken Little, Buck Cluck cooks some on the stove, and it explodes in his face when he hears his son screaming for help upstairs.
- An early scene in The Croods features giant ears of corn that take this to an extreme. Once accidentally set on fire they take off like rockets, explode like fireworks and then bury the cast in popcorn kernels the size of their heads.
- Invoked in Real Genius. The heroes hijack the test of the giant space laser, redirecting it to Dr. Hathaway's house, which they had previously filled with unpopped popcorn kernels. The popcorn all pops and explodes out of the house.
- In the children's book Popcorn by Frank Asch (provider of the trope image), a mother and father bear leave their son Sam to go to a party. The young bear takes the opportunity to call his friends for a party of his own. He tells them to bring something good to eat and they all end up bringing popcorn; so they decide to pop it all at once. It goes as you expect and they all have to eat it up before Sam's parents get home.
- This happens in Tomie Depaola's The Popcorn Book. Throughout the book, Tony makes some popcorn while Tiny reads facts all about popcorn. At the end, it is mentioned that once in the Midwest, it was so hot, that popcorn started to pop in the fields, and there was so much flying popcorn everywhere, that it looked like a blizzard. As the popcorn fills up, Tony starts to cry out that it's like a blizzard here.
- On MythBusters, the scene from Real Genius was tested where a house is destroyed by having a massive amount of popcorn cooked inside of it. Sadly, real life popcorn will fail to pop if it is not under pressure during cooking, so it's not actually possible.
- In an episode of The Puzzle Place, Leon brings a package of popcorn, but when he turned it on to pop it, it doesn't pop. Later after they left, Sizzle and Nuzzle come across it and it finally starts to pop....and pop.....and pop; getting much bigger than the pets. Eventually, it explodes and rains popcorn all over the room.
- One of Arty Smartypant's tricks in Between the Lions has him put the words "Popping" and "Popcorn" in his smarty pants. After he says the magic word and does his magic dance, popcorn starts popping right out of his pants.
- Muppet Viral Videos: In "Popcorn", the Swedish Chef tries to make popcorn shrimp, and starts by microwaving a few dozen bags of popcorn at once. At the end of the song, the microwave door explodes off, and enough popcorn spills out to fill the kitchen and bury the Swedish Chef.
- In one Calvin and Hobbes daily, the duo decides to see what happens when you pop a normal amount of corn with the lid off, and it fills up the entire kitchen.
Calvin: That's more fun than exploding a potato in the microwave!
- In an Orson's Farm skit on Garfield and Friends, Orson can't seem to finish the corn inventory because corn, somehow, keeps disappearing. He imagines himself as Agent Double-O Orson dealing with nemesis Pinfeather (Roy Rooster) who was doing corn robberies. In the fight, Double-O Orson's invention goes off under Pinfeather's limousine and popcorn, formed by the stolen corn, pops the hood right off. This gives the real Orson an idea; he brings a battery powered heater into Roy's coop; soon revealing what happened to the missing ears.
- Darkwing Duck: When Launchpad, Gosalyn, and Honker get trapped in a popping popcorn machine, Honker knocks over another pack of it inside; causing so much popcorn to pop that it breaks the glass of the machine, allowing them to escape.
- The "Christmas Maximus" segment of Mickey's Twice Upon a Christmas ends with a house being filled to the brim with popcorn thanks to Goofy's clumsiness.
- While preparing the food in A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving, Snoopy was in charge of the popcorn. But there was one time he forgot to put the lid on the pot when throwing in the next batch of kernels...
- Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi: In the segment "Talent Suckers Return", the Talent Suckers tried making popcorn for the popcorn stand and put tons of kernels into the machine. Vlad forgot to plug it in and the arena was destroyed by all of the popped popcorn.
- Rolie Polie Olie: When Olie and Billy were making popcorn for the monster movie marathon on tv, they accidentally forgot about the popcorn and soon Olie's kitchen is full of popcorn.
- Near the end of the Rocko's Modern Life episode, "Popcorn Pandemonium", Filburt, who works as the projectionist for the Googa Plex cinema, accidentally falls over and leaves his glasses in front of the projector. This causes the projector to set the screen on fire, and the fire makes its way to the popcorn storage room, causing the popcorn to fill up the entire theater, destroying it and making it look like a drive-in. At the end of the episode, as Rocko and Heffer eat the popcorn from the pile that buries them, two of the rat garbagemen from the trailer for Garbage Strike: The Musical refuse to clean up the mess, and why is that? Cause' they're on strike!
- In a Curious George episode, George makes too much popcorn at the movie theater.